Options

The Full Screen Slideshow Help Thread

Comments

• Options
    sbresslersbressler Registered Users Posts: 148 Major grins
    edited April 17, 2008
    Andy wrote:
    I just validated, side-by-side, the stats are incrementing fine thumb.gif
    Alright, perhaps I'm just going crazy... thanks for checking for me!
  • Options
    samsplacesamsplace Registered Users Posts: 144 Major grins
    edited May 4, 2008
    Hi

On my web site Samsplace I protected all galleries. My slide show gallery is protected when the gallery is displayed. This gallery is only visable as a slideshow.

If I were to right clik the slideshow picture, I can print this picture on my printer which defeats the protected feature of this gallery as well as other information.

How can I protect people from coying the photos in my slide show? What changes do I have to make to the software?

Gilclap.gif
    Take Nothing But Memories:rofl
    Kill Nothing But Time :clap
    Leave Nothing But Footprints :thumb

http://www.samsplacephotos.com
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited May 4, 2008
    samsplace wrote:
    Hi

On my web site Samsplace I protected all galleries. My slide show gallery is protected when the gallery is displayed. This gallery is only visable as a slideshow.

If I were to right clik the slideshow picture, I can print this picture on my printer which defeats the protected feature of this gallery as well as other information.

How can I protect people from coying the photos in my slide show? What changes do I have to make to the software?

Gilclap.gif
    Hi Gil, can't do it in flash. They can already do the exact same thing with any freely available screen-grabbing utility. So either don't worry about it, or, watermark your images (a pro feature on SmugMug).
  • Options
    SWBSWB Registered Users Posts: 6 Beginner grinner
    edited May 5, 2008
    I love the new full-screen slideshow ... but mainly for the full-screen aspect of it. I don't like the automatic advance; I'd rather go to the next or previous photos manually. I can do this by hitting Pause and then using the mouse to click on the Previous and Next arrows, but that overlays the arrows, the play/pause button, and the filmstrip over my photo; I have to wait a few seconds for them to go away again.

Simple solution (I hope):

Can we have keyboard control in the slideshow? Right arrow for next, left arrow for previous? Then I could hit pause and control navigation with the arrow keys. (Even better: allow me to choose "paused" as the default "speed.")
  • Options
    edited May 5, 2008
    SWB wrote:
    Can we have keyboard control in the slideshow?

Sorry, it's not allowed by Adobe.
  • Options
    SWBSWB Registered Users Posts: 6 Beginner grinner
    edited May 5, 2008
    Andy wrote:
    Sorry, it's not allowed by Adobe.
    D'oh! You're right! For anyone else that's interested, this is explained here:

http://www.adobe.com/devnet/flashplayer/articles/full_screen_mode.html

Hopefully Adobe will make this possible in the future.
  • Options
    TCSTCS Registered Users Posts: 97 Big grins
    edited May 8, 2008
    Andy wrote:
    Hi Gil, can't do it in flash. They can already do the exact same thing with any freely available screen-grabbing utility. So either don't worry about it, or, watermark your images (a pro feature on SmugMug).

I apologize if this has already been posted but looking at the slideshow of a poster here (moonriver), I tried the right click, it worked (did not show the print option like in my slideshow), instead, when going to the photoeditor, the image was just a dot. How do you do that?
    I think I have been told it is called a "box". I would like to learn that, much better than a watermark (hate them).

Christine
  • Options
    edited May 8, 2008
    TCS wrote:
    I apologize if this has already been posted but looking at the slideshow of a poster here (moonriver), I tried the right click, it worked (did not show the print option like in my slideshow), instead, when going to the photoeditor, the image was just a dot. How do you do that?
    I think I have been told it is called a "box". I would like to learn that, much better than a watermark (hate them).

Christine
    Hi,that's right-click protection on SmugMug, it's a power or pro feature.

But please, do not ever feel that this is stronger than a watermark - it's actually weaker! Anyone can fish a file out of browser cache - a good, proper watermark will protect you, always.

Make sense?
  • Options
    TCSTCS Registered Users Posts: 97 Big grins
    edited May 8, 2008
    Andy wrote:
    Hi,that's right-click protection on SmugMug, it's a power or pro feature.

But please, do not ever feel that this is stronger than a watermark - it's actually weaker! Anyone can fish a file out of browser cache - a good, proper watermark will protect you, always.

Make sense?

makes sense for people who know how to do it (I don't). But if the watermark is not on the center of the picture, people can crop it out. On the center, it kinds of ruins the viewing experience...
    It is not exactly rightclick (I see how to do this in the gallery setting), it is more like capturing the screen but having nothing in the clopboard.

Going camping in the desert so can't check these out right now, but would love to learn more.

Christine
  • Options
    edited May 8, 2008
    TCS wrote:
    makes sense for people who know how to do it (I don't).
    Going camping in the desert so can't check these out right now, but would love to learn more.

Christine
    We'll help when you are ready, just holler okay?
  • Options
    papajaypapajay Registered Users Posts: 441 Major grins
    edited May 16, 2008
    A "Help Screen" for Fullscreen Slideshow
    I've seen several "bits and pieces" in this tread and elsewhere (forgive me if I didn't find "The Complete Slideshow Help" screen somewhere on Dgrin or in SmugMug's improving help screen offerings), so I just sent the following to my sister-in-law as a "training guide" of sorts to help her get the full benefit the new slideshow offers:

The fulscreen slideshow on SmugMug just gets better and better! Try this:

Launch the SLIDESHOW from the link next to the SHARE button.

You can sit back and let the slideshow run automatically on it's own...or you can apply a number of optional control overrides:
    • You can adjust the speed by selecting FAST, MEDIUM (the default), or SLOW in the upper left corner of the thumbnail film strip.
    • You can jump to any individual image by left-clicking its thumbnail in the filmstrip.
    • You can jump a full "page" forward or backward by clicking the tiny little arrows at the ends of the thumbnail film strip.
    • You can left-click the LARGE "Advance-One-Image" or "Go-Back-One-Image" arrows at the sides of the display.
    • You can Pause the show by moving your mouse to the center of the picture and hit the double-bar "pause" control that pops up there.
    • You can return to Play mode by moving your mouse to the center of the picture and hit the big triangle pointing to the right.
    • You can Hide Captions (or Show Captions) by left-clicking the control in the middle of the thumbnail filmstrip.
    Here's a "feature" I found (by accident) that I really like...especially when there are lots of captions or pictures of signs (e.g. historical markers) with lots of text, and I want to take my time and set my own pace rather than let the slideshow decide how long to leave an image on the screen before moving on to the next one :
    • Just after the slideshow starts, left click the PAUSE control. This effectively puts the slideshow in "manual mode."
    • Position the mouse over the LARGE "Advance-One-Image" arrow on the right side of the display in the middle.
    • Left-click the mouse to manually advance to the next image...it will stay there for as long as you want to see it.
    • Left-click the mouse again to manually advance to the next image, and so on until you're done, or return to PLAY mode as described earlier.
    I found that I could even sit back a few feet from my monitor with my wireless mouse and manually advance through the slide show, varying my pace throughout the show as rapidly, or as slowly as I chose at any given moment.

This, I think, will be the way I choose to view my galleries more often than not.
  • Options
    ChibiPhotographyChibiPhotography Registered Users Posts: 30 Big grins
    edited May 16, 2008
    New Photos
    Has anyone else noticed that new photos do not appear in the slideshow until the page is reloaded?

I am thinking of using the slideshow at a party so I can update the slideshow with pictures as the party progresses; however, it looks like I will need to periodically reload the slide show to see new pictures.

Any ideas on how this would work automaticly?
    Doug Pearson
    Chibi Photography
    pix.chibiphotography.com
  • Options
    ARG!ARG! Registered Users Posts: 45 Big grins
    edited May 19, 2008
    Andy wrote:

Some of you may have all the right stuff but have customizing that is getting in the way of your Full Screen Slideshow:
    • modifying the breadcrumb with javascript
    Is your breadcrumb navigation javascript creating problems with new full screen slide show? Mine was ... here's the javascript I was given from support that works with new slide show and changes breadcrumb navigation to start with name.smugmug.com/galleries rather than the home page. For example, I don't want breadcrumb navigation to link back to my home page that now has the shizam slide show, but to my galleries page at name.smugmug.com/galleries.

var objElement = document.getElementById("breadcrumb")
    if (objElement != null) {
    var str = new String(objElement.innerHTML);
    str = str.replace('>Home<', '><a href="/galleries">Galleries</a><');
    objElement.innerHTML = str;
    }

Replace "Home" in above with the text of the initial breadcrumb. For example, mine was Home>next1>next2. Yours might be your first name as I believe that is the default.
  • Options
    lpaulinelpauline Registered Users Posts: 8 Big grins
    edited May 29, 2008
    this thread solved a problem for me
    Thanks. My slideshows were not working and that was my next problem on my list to tackle until I came upon this slideshow help thread. I upgraded my Flash Player and that solved the problem for me. I'm impressed.
    Laurel
    www.fromwhereshestood.com

Memory believes before knowing remembers . . . .
    Light in August by W.Faulkner
  • Options
    pavepave Registered Users Posts: 14 Big grins
    edited June 1, 2008
    Videos in full screen slideshow
    Hi SmugMug guys!

Just a quick question: are you planning to make videos viewable right in the full screen slideshow, just as it is with lightbox?

Right now the slideshow just shows a static frame from a movie, so in order to show people my photos and videos, instead of playing that cool slideshow I have to use stepping through photos in lightbox, which gracefully plays all videos it encounters.
  • Options
    edited June 2, 2008
    pave wrote:
    Hi SmugMug guys!

Just a quick question: are you planning to make videos viewable right in the full screen slideshow, just as it is with lightbox?

Right now the slideshow just shows a static frame from a movie, so in order to show people my photos and videos, instead of playing that cool slideshow I have to use stepping through photos in lightbox, which gracefully plays all videos it encounters.
    Hi, vids won't play in FSSS, sorry :(
  • Options
    fashioncopfashioncop Registered Users Posts: 30 Big grins
    edited June 3, 2008
    I need some serious help with my slide show!
    Andy wrote:
    Hi Folks! On March 17th we released a new version of our Full Screen Slideshow and also the gallery-style slideshow.

If you are having any difficulties with the slideshow, we want to help, and we'll do it here. Some things we need to know when you reply:

1. We need to know your installed flash version, for IE (if you use it) and for other browsers. Go to this page at Adobe and tell us the results.

2. We need to know what browser you are using, and the version, and on what Operating System. E.g., IE6 on WinXP; IE7 on Windows Vista Home Premium; Firefox 2.0.0.13 on Mac OS X 10.5.

3. We need a direct gallery link to where you are having the problem.

4. Tell us if you can use the Full Screen Slideshow here in this gallery.

5. Tell us if you can see the Full Screen Slideshow using this share link.

6. If you can see #5 and cannot see #4, can you see this? (click the little icon to the right of the movie)

or you can do Adobe's Full Screen test here.
    (click the full screen mode on the left, then let the demo load, then click full screen view button on the movie).

7. If you cannot see SmugMug's Full Screen Slideshow, or the Cars Movie Demo in full screen or the Adobe Full Screen Demo in full screen, you may have a hardware issue with full screen. Try disabling hardware acceleration in the flash player.

Some of you may have all the right stuff but have customizing that is getting in the way of your Full Screen Slideshow:
    • having the olde javascript slideshow installed still
    Looking for Shizam's Homepage Slideshow? Right Here.

EDIT (April 9th, 2008): We updated the site to support the latest Adobe Flash version (9,0,124,0). You DO NOT require this version but if you have it or get it, you'll be fine. :)

I went through and answered all 7 questions and this is what I have:
    1. WIN 9,0,124,0 no debug player
    2. WinXP (internet explorer)
    3. www.timeless-photo.com
    4. I can see the gallery, but when I try the slideshow button I cannot see anything just black
    5. cannot see anything here either
    6. I can see the Car's movie and when I right click I can see it in full screen
    7. I already have hardware acceleration disabled

Now what do I do?

Melissa
  • Options
    edited June 3, 2008
    fashioncop wrote:
    I went through and answered all 7 questions and this is what I have:
    1. WIN 9,0,124,0 no debug player
    2. WinXP (internet explorer)
    3. www.timeless-photo.com
    4. I can see the gallery, but when I try the slideshow button I cannot see anything just black
    5. cannot see anything here either
    6. I can see the Car's movie and when I right click I can see it in full screen
    7. I already have hardware acceleration disabled

Now what do I do?

Melissa
    are you seeing the homepage slideshow on your site?
  • Options
    fashioncopfashioncop Registered Users Posts: 30 Big grins
    edited June 3, 2008
    Andy wrote:
    are you seeing the homepage slideshow on your site?

I do sometimes, but not all the time. Some of my clients tell me that it doesn't work on their computer either.

Melissa
  • Options
    edited June 5, 2008
    fashioncop wrote:
    I do sometimes, but not all the time. Some of my clients tell me that it doesn't work on their computer either.

Melissa
    OK Please write our help desk, we'll help you there. thanks.
  • Options
    cwarnercwarner Registered Users Posts: 3 Beginner grinner
    edited June 6, 2008
    Black Button Firefox 3.0b5
    This is default Firefox shipping with Ubuntu which is a linux distribution. There is no problem actually clicking the button. It just happens to look like what is complete redaction. This only happens under the white theme and with Firefox on Linux. I haven't changed anything but the banner thus far and turning things off/on via css as i'm new to smugmug; however it works fine in Safari on an OSX machine.

Flash version is 9.0 r124
    Firefox version is 3.0b5

Thanks!
  • Options
    BobNCBobNC Registered Users Posts: 4 Beginner grinner
    edited June 6, 2008
    1. We need to know your installed flash version, for IE (if you use it) and for other browsers. Go to this page at Adobe and tell us the results.

2. We need to know what browser you are using, and the version, and on what Operating System. E.g., IE6 on WinXP; IE7 on Windows Vista Home Premium; Firefox 2.0.0.13 on Mac OS X 10.5.
    Firefox 3 RC2

http://www.bassball.smugmug.com/gallery/5091962_PgZ7E#306897120_KuGDG

NO
    NO
    6. If you can see #5 and cannot see #4, can you see this? (click the little icon to the right of the movie)
    YES

(click the full screen mode on the left, then let the demo load, then click full screen view button on the movie).
    That works fine, too.

7. If you cannot see SmugMug's Full Screen Slideshow, or the Cars Movie Demo in full screen or the Adobe Full Screen Demo in full screen, you may have a hardware issue with full screen. Try disabling hardware acceleration in the flash player.
    Changing that setting has no effect on any of this.

Don't know what the 2 bullet items mean, so not sure how to reply to that.

Thanks for any help you can offer!
  • Options
    edited June 6, 2008
    BobNC wrote:

Thanks for any help you can offer!
    Bob, very, very strange. Are you on dialup connection by any chance?
  • Options
    edited June 6, 2008
    Andy wrote:
    Bob, very, very strange. Are you on dialup connection by any chance?
    No, pretty fat pipe actually.
  • Options
    jbeejbee Registered Users Posts: 67 Big grins
    edited June 7, 2008
    Firefox ng, ie7 is !
    Hello Andy,

I'm getting a black screen forever after I try to enter a slide show.

I can't see the first link as a slide show using firefox. But if I use my extension to tell firefox to render it using the ie7 engine, it works fine.

So????

I cleared the ff cache, but that didn't work. I don't want to clear all my cookies, how can I clean only the smug ones.

Looking thru the threads, I have the same problems and the same test results as BobNC...except my flash version is 115.
  • Options
    edited June 7, 2008
    jbee wrote:
    Hello Andy,

I can't see the first link as a slide show using firefox. But if I use my extension to tell firefox to render it using the ie7 engine, it works fine.

So????

I cleared the ff cache, but that didn't work. I don't want to clear all my cookies, how can I clean only the smug ones.

Looking thru the threads, I have the same problems and the same test results as BobNC...except my flash version is 115.

Jbee - I deleted cookies to no avail. I'm able to see the slideshow via ie, but it's not "full screen" - still see window/app title bars.
  • Options
    jbeejbee Registered Users Posts: 67 Big grins
    edited June 8, 2008
    Same here. A thin top bar and a thin bottom bar, but bars it is.

I hate pointing people to a web page that causes errors. For this I pay pro prices?
  • Options
    jasonscottphotojasonscottphoto Registered Users Posts: 711 Major grins
    edited June 14, 2008
    jbee wrote:
    Hello Andy,

This is what I see too, on IE7 on a PC and on Safari on my mac.
    Posts by Allyson, the wife/assistant...

Jason Scott Photography | Blog | FB | Twitter | Google+ | Tumblr | Instagram | YouTube
  • Options
    jasonscottphotojasonscottphoto Registered Users Posts: 711 Major grins
    edited June 14, 2008
    Andy wrote:
    Hi Folks! On March 17th we released a new version of our Full Screen Slideshow and also the gallery-style slideshow.

If you are having any difficulties with the slideshow, we want to help, and we'll do it here. Some things we need to know when you reply:

MAC 9,0,124,0
    Safari 3.1.1 Mac OS 10.5.3
    All of my galleries :(
    YES!
    Yes

Yes
    I think this might be my problem (the breadcrumb) - somebody please help!
    Posts by Allyson, the wife/assistant...

Jason Scott Photography | Blog | FB | Twitter | Google+ | Tumblr | Instagram | YouTube
  • Options
    tpowertpower Registered Users Posts: 34 Big grins
    edited June 16, 2008
    Trouble with slideshow
    Please see my in-line comments in bold below
    Andy wrote:

I am using IE 6.0.2900.2180.xpsp_sp2_gdr.070227_2254

Here you go: http://tpower.smugmug.com/gallery/5178505_iTANk/1/313832756_Ko7rk

Originally, yes, but now, no.

Originally, yes, but now, no.

Yes

This works fine.

My original problem was that the subject slideshow would hang on the same image (143_Fenway_fix), and this occurred multiple times. Then, on one of my tries, it got past that just fine, but when I went to another gallery it just went to black when I tried to do the slide show. I have just now tried again, and everything seems to be working - except I still cannot see your test gallery slideshows. Any insights?

'preciate the help in advance - Thanks!