BenA2 wrote:
    Yes! It finally works!

Thank you SmugMug!
    :Dclap.gif
  • Options
    eenusaeenusa Registered Users Posts: 186 Major grins
    edited April 5, 2008
    Slideshow Captions - Full Screen
    Love that the full screen slideshow is now showing captions. But it's not showing the entire caption - at least not most of the time. The captions are sometimes cut off after the first line; sometimes in the middle of a line; and sometimes several lines of the caption are visible.

There does not seem to be any problem with the captions if I use the drop down to switch to slideshow mode.

Any thoughts!
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited April 5, 2008
    eenusa wrote:
    Love that the full screen slideshow is now showing captions. But it's not showing the entire caption - at least not most of the time. The captions are sometimes cut off after the first line; sometimes in the middle of a line; and sometimes several lines of the caption are visible.

There does not seem to be any problem with the captions if I use the drop down to switch to slideshow mode.

Any thoughts!
    Give us a direct gallery link, here please, and we'll look at your gallery and see what's up thumb.gif
  • Options
    eenusaeenusa Registered Users Posts: 186 Major grins
    edited April 5, 2008
    Andy wrote:
    Give us a direct gallery link, here please, and we'll look at your gallery and see what's up thumb.gif

http://eenusa.smugmug.com/gallery/4113344_6yYDV#235225313
    http://eenusa.smugmug.com/gallery/4615658_cWf9q#272302494

Thanks for checking it out.
  • Options
    bactonbacton Registered Users Posts: 19 Big grins
    edited April 5, 2008
    clap.gif I like the new full screen slide show! ...and it's working great on my system! Thank you.

Of course, when someone does something great, it invites requests for more.

1) it would be nice if there were some "slideshow default settings" that could be specified in the gallery configuration. I would like to determine, for my users, what the "show/hide caption", "speed", etc. is when a user activates the slideshow on a particular gallery. The user could change them from the default, but the default would be the settings upon starting the SLIDESHOW.

2) it would be nice if a slideshow link would bring the slideshow up in full screen mode and not within a window within an application. This may not be possible. Also, it would be nice to be able to specify the default settings for the slideshow within the link coding.

Just some thoughts.

Thanks again for the great work on the new full screen slideshow.

Bob.
  • Options
    RogersDARogersDA Registered Users Posts: 3,502 Major grins
    edited April 5, 2008
    Andy/Barb/Sam: After clearing the cache I am noticing that the first slide in the FSSS accessed through via a direct link (as in #5 in the first post) is showing up as a thumbnail-sized image and not as a full-sized image (so far I have tested in Firefox 2.0.0.13) All other images in the slideshow are full-sized. Sometimes this happens even without clearing the cache.

After the show transitions to the next image then, if you click on the first image's actual thumbnail, it will show full-size. I have seen this using the link for #5 in post #1 of this thread and for my galleries.

275204023_4SW9A-S.jpg

275204038_jLAYr-S.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 5, 2008
    eenusa wrote:
    It's a bug, dunno why, but it is, and I replicated it on our test systems. We'll get it fixed.

Thanks!
  • Options
    dennismullendennismullen Registered Users Posts: 709 Major grins
    edited April 5, 2008
    Slideshow thumbnails
    Thanks for making the thumbnail bar go away for a truely widescreen view without borders or do-dads. I love it.
    Can you add a "random" setting next to the captions setting?

Thanks again for a great slideshow.
    See my gallery at http://www.dennismullen.com
  • Options
    GJMPhotoGJMPhoto Registered Users Posts: 372 Major grins
    edited April 6, 2008
    Where to set configurations?
    Wow...I don't have a complaint!

I was wondering if we can set the same parameters that we used to be able to in the Shizam slideshow...and if so, where we can do that? In particular, I'd like to set a splash image, speed of dissolve, background color, border, etc.

Thanks,
    - Gary.
  • Options
    edited April 6, 2008
    GJMPhoto wrote:
    Wow...I don't have a complaint!

I was wondering if we can set the same parameters that we used to be able to in the Shizam slideshow...and if so, where we can do that? In particular, I'd like to set a splash image, speed of dissolve, background color, border, etc.

Thanks,
    - Gary.
    Not for the Full Screen slideshow, sorry :(
  • Options
    PackMulePackMule Registered Users Posts: 24 Big grins
    edited April 6, 2008
    Same thing happens for my slideshow. First pic shows as whatever size it is on the page I access the slideshow from. Then the rest are fullscreen. If I let the slideshow "go around", the first pic is fullscreen on the next run through.

Remember that the slideshow tailors the image size for your monitor -- it takes a bit to calculate this, especially if you aren't able to use hardware acceleration. I think we're just seeing that "lag".

RogersDA wrote:
    Andy/Barb/Sam: After clearing the cache I am noticing that the first slide in the FSSS accessed through via a direct link (as in #5 in the first post) is showing up as a thumbnail-sized image and not as a full-sized image (so far I have tested in Firefox 2.0.0.13) All other images in the slideshow are full-sized. Sometimes this happens even without clearing the cache.

After the show transitions to the next image then, if you click on the first image's actual thumbnail, it will show full-size. I have seen this using the link for #5 in post #1 of this thread and for my galleries.

275204023_4SW9A-S.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 6, 2008
    PackMule wrote:
    Same thing happens for my slideshow. First pic shows as whatever size it is on the page I access the slideshow from. Then the rest are fullscreen. If I let the slideshow "go around", the first pic is fullscreen on the next run through.
    This is as designed. The very first image is a standard size, L, XL, X2, X3, depending on your monitor size & resolution.

The tiny thumbnail is an obscure issue, that Shizam is trying to chase down. Doesn't happen that much but it's happened.
  • Options
    swintonphotoswintonphoto Registered Users Posts: 1,664 Major grins
    edited April 6, 2008
    Slideshow woes
    I like everything about the new slideshows with two exceptions.
    1. It takes way too long for the images to load. I have experienced problems on multiple computers at different locations with cable and DSL connections.
    2. I wish that annoying little bar didnt appear showing the progress of the upload. Due to the slow uploads, it is almost always there and I rarely see images without the bar there.
  • Options
    edited April 6, 2008
    I like everything about the new slideshows with two exceptions.
    1. It takes way too long for the images to load. I have experienced problems on multiple computers at different locations with cable and DSL connections.
    I'm really sorry - almost everyone we talk to raves about how much faster it is than the old slideshow. Remember, you are feeding huge images. Perhaps we can help with diagnosing your speed to SmugMug, send and email to our Support Heroes and we'll have you do some diagnostics.
    2. I wish that annoying little bar didnt appear showing the progress of the upload. Due to the slow uploads, it is almost always there and I rarely see images without the bar there.
    Exactly - it's the speed :(

I went to this gallery (really cool stuff!) and it loaded instantly for me:
    http://jswinton.smugmug.com/gallery/4606927_eyh8E#271714020
  • Options
    SewermanSewerman Registered Users Posts: 115 Major grins
    edited April 7, 2008
    Slide show working now
    I was struggling with the slide show for a week or so untill I switched from 32 bit display to 16 bit desplay now every thing is working fine but no I's stuck with the 16 bit display is there any work around for this?
    Im using a laptop 2gig ram and shared video ram .

Update: updated video driver slide show now works in 32 bit mode!!
    Nice work Jim :)
    Don't sweat the petty things and Don't pet the sweaty things!

http://plumgraphics.net
    J D Plummer

• Options
    GJMPhotoGJMPhoto Registered Users Posts: 372 Major grins
    edited April 8, 2008
    Follow up
    Andy wrote:
    Not for the Full Screen slideshow, sorry :(

Never? I assume, under the covers you're calling roughly the same calls the other SS had in it (Flash parameters are Flash parameters)...so why not let us set some variables in our customization that will be used for all slideshows and, additionally, allow us to override them by gallery? That can't be difficult to do...

or even create a class to contain the parameter collection?

I'd bet you could allow us to set it in our CSS section if you thought about it: .gallery_123456 .ss_fadespeed = 100 ?????

- Gary.
  • Options
    edited April 8, 2008
    Andy wrote:
    This is as designed. The very first image is a standard size, L, XL, X2, X3, depending on your monitor size & resolution.

So the first picture or two will always be smaller? This seems odd and looks like a bug.
    It would be nice if the slideshow remembered the status of the "comments on/off" and "slow, medium,fast" settings.
  • Options
    IcebearIcebear Registered Users Posts: 4,015 Major grins
    edited April 8, 2008
    All I can get is the black "Press esc . . . " screen

1. WIN 9,0,115,0
    2. IE7 on Win XP
    3. http://portfoliofotos.smugmug.com/gallery/3466937_Npo7Z
    4. No
    5. Yes
    John :
    Natural selection is responsible for every living thing that exists.
    D3s, D500, D5300, and way more glass than the wife knows about.
  • Options
    edited April 8, 2008
    Icebear wrote:
    All I can get is the black "Press esc . . . " screen

1. WIN 9,0,115,0
    2. IE7 on Win XP
    3. http://portfoliofotos.smugmug.com/gallery/3466937_Npo7Z
    4. No
    5. Yes

Sounds like a full-screen issue -which is likely graphics or machine related.

Can you see this full screen version of this (click the little icon to the right of the movie)
    http://staging.mutoid.nl/fullscreen/index_cars.html

If NOT, go back to SmugMug, hit Full Screen button, and then right click in the black area - turn Hardware Acceleration OFF. Let us know?
  • Options
    edited April 8, 2008
    So the first picture or two will always be smaller? This seems odd and looks like a bug.
    It would be nice if the slideshow remembered the status of the "comments on/off" and "slow, medium,fast" settings.
    The first photo will always start at a standard size (L, XL, X2, X3) depending on the size of your monitor. If you loop around, the first image will be full screen. If you play the show for the first several photos, then click #2 in the thumbs bar, it will be full size. This has to do with loading a massive amount of photos and data and still giving you, the viewer, something to look at very fast :)

We'll look at somehow saving viewer prefs re: slow, med, fast and captions on/off. Can't say if/when but it's on Shizam's list to look at! Thanks :D
  • Options
    edited April 9, 2008
    Andy wrote:
    Sounds like a full-screen issue -which is likely graphics or machine related.

Can you see this full screen version of this (click the little icon to the right of the movie)
    http://staging.mutoid.nl/fullscreen/index_cars.html

If NOT, go back to SmugMug, hit Full Screen button, and then right click in the black area - turn Hardware Acceleration OFF. Let us know?

When I click on the "cars" link, and then on the little icon, I get a large (tho not full screen STILL image. The sound continues, but no "movie."

When I go back to SmugMug and click on the Slideshow button, then right click, click on settings, a little screen does come up with a toggle button that refers to Hardware Accelleration, but it's not active. I cant click on it. Right clicking in the black area sometimes brings up what seems to be the filmstrip, but nothng actually happens. Sorry, I'm not very literate when it comes to real technical computer stuff like Flash.

One trouble is that the same thing does not happen every time I click on Slideshow.
    John :
  • Options
    edited April 9, 2008
    Andy wrote:
    The first photo will always start at a standard size (L, XL, X2, X3) depending on the size of your monitor. If you loop around, the first image will be full screen. If you play the show for the first several photos, then click #2 in the thumbs bar, it will be full size. This has to do with loading a massive amount of photos and data and still giving you, the viewer, something to look at very fast :)

We'll look at somehow saving viewer prefs re: slow, med, fast and captions on/off. Can't say if/when but it's on Shizam's list to look at! Thanks :D

Thanks Andy,

Overall the slideshow is working well now and I'm happy with it's fullscreen look. I'm sure it will continue to be tweeked to even better performance.
  • Options
    edited April 9, 2008
    All right . . . what did you do? Now it's working, apparently in all my galleries. Believe me, I've been following this thread for weeks trying to make this thing work without adding to your workload. I have no idea whether YOU did something or I did. Whatever. All this stuff fits neatly into my "incomprehensible wonderment" box. Mille grazie!
    John :
  • Options
    edited April 9, 2008
    Icebear wrote:
    All right . . . what did you do? Now it's working, apparently in all my galleries. Believe me, I've been following this thread for weeks trying to make this thing work without adding to your workload. I have no idea whether YOU did something or I did. Whatever. All this stuff fits neatly into my "incomprehensible wonderment" box. Mille grazie!
    clap.gif
  • Options
    sbresslersbressler Registered Users Posts: 148 Major grins
    edited April 12, 2008
    Slideshow speed customization
    It seems that two pages back my question was brought up - is it possible to change the default speed on the FSSS - and it seems that it is not yet. I'd also request this featue, if at all possible.

Andy, do you think this is something that can be given for user control in the (near) future? I'd like to make the default speed on all (or at least most) of my slideshows fast.
  • Options
    edited April 12, 2008
    sbressler wrote:
    It seems that two pages back my question was brought up - is it possible to change the default speed on the FSSS - and it seems that it is not yet. I'd also request this featue, if at all possible.

Andy, do you think this is something that can be given for user control in the (near) future? I'd like to make the default speed on all (or at least most) of my slideshows fast.
    Thanks for the feature request!
  • Options
    edited April 13, 2008
    Do photos viewed in the FSSS register under gallery statistics? Because someone just looked my an entire gallery of mine, clicking slideshow on the first photo, and the only hits I see on the gallery are thumbnail views and one XLarge (presumably that first photo before the slideshow button was pressed).
  • Options
    edited April 14, 2008
    sbressler wrote:
    Do photos viewed in the FSSS register under gallery statistics? Because someone just looked my an entire gallery of mine, clicking slideshow on the first photo, and the only hits I see on the gallery are thumbnail views and one XLarge (presumably that first photo before the slideshow button was pressed).
    They do indeed. Got a gallery link ear.gif
  • Options
    edited April 16, 2008
    Andy wrote:
    They do indeed. Got a gallery link ear.gif
    http://szb.smugmug.com/gallery/4713717_L7RFE seemed to be the culprit...
  • Options
    edited April 16, 2008
    sbressler wrote:
    I just validated, side-by-side, the stats are incrementing fine thumb.gif