Options

The get ready for the new cart thread

Comments

• Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited June 23, 2008
    micki wrote:
    ha ha ha ~ on AUTO :)

I do put proof on proof 2 days for SURE! If I'm going to be gone I put things on for more days on active accounts.

I do lots of PS work on my Weddings and Retirements where I have select color and saturation and stuff where things are all out of whack. Things that auto would make it go blah.

My daughter does HIGH SATURATION and we both do some of the new styles and high key stuff with color that can be affected by auto color.

These types of things can be affected. NOW, if you would enable just those specific pictures to be TRUE color than I would have no problem making my other pictures auto. I have ordered pictures on auto and love them. :) I just don't like seperating my pictures in my folders. B&W's and Colors and high Saturations etc...

I know blah blah blah :) ~ he he rolleyes1.gif
    No worries then - on Proof delay you can set whatever you like, True or Auto thumb.gif
  • Options
    mickimicki Registered Users Posts: 47 Big grins
    edited June 23, 2008
    Andy wrote:
    No worries then - on Proof delay you can set whatever you like, True or Auto thumb.gif
    whew :)clap.gif

no worries so they won't see the auto/true choice

yeah

so I would ask for my request on a bigger button or flashy thing for RETURN HERE TO FOLDERS TO SHOP FOR MORE PICTURES. BUY MORE BUY MORE ~ ha ha ha

~ back to uploading wedding pics... my brain hurts ~ rolleyes1.gif

thank you so much ~ my threat is now gone to leave (ha like I could find another place that I could build a webpage in a day ~ seriously)
  • Options
    edited June 23, 2008
    micki wrote:
    whew :)clap.gif

no worries so they won't see the auto/true choice
    Yes, they will. But you can default to one or the other in gallery settings.
  • Options
    edited June 23, 2008
    Andy wrote:
    Yes, they will. But you can default to one or the other in gallery settings.

aha ~ so they will see it but even if they click on TRUE color or AUTO if I have clicked on TRUE only then it won't mater if they clicked on auto anyway.

It will still be TRUE.

Correct?

Boy, this is almost like who's on first.

I guess this might need to be explained in detail before you change this because I know people will will wonder (like below the auto/true click information question mark when it is changed).
  • Options
    BaldyBaldy Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 2,853 moderator
    edited June 23, 2008
    gblotter wrote:
    Seems like this page is relatively spare on content. With other web commerce sites, I usually prefer to enter all the shipping and billing address info on the same page (with the requisite buttons to populate fields from previously saved information). Is there enough screen real-estate to combine the shipping and billing screens to reduce a few steps?
    Hey Greg,

We get a lot of customers whose heads explode if they can't figure out the shipping costs as up front as possible. Providing a link to the shipping table up front hasn't been very satisfying because it varies by country, and sometimes by product in the case of gifts.

Some people feel we are the devil himself if we ask for billing info before they get to see shipping.
  • Options
    edited June 23, 2008
    micki wrote:
    aha ~ so they will see it but even if they click on TRUE color or AUTO if I have clicked on TRUE only then it won't mater if they clicked on auto anyway.

It will still be TRUE.

Correct?

Boy, this is almost like who's on first.

I guess this might need to be explained in detail before you change this because I know people will will wonder (like below the auto/true click information question mark when it is changed).
    The choice will be in the cart, as it is right now. NO change.
  • Options
    gblottergblotter Registered Users Posts: 176 Major grins
    edited June 23, 2008
    Baldy wrote:
    We get a lot of customers whose heads explode if they can't figure out the shipping costs as up front as possible ... Some people feel we are the devil himself if we ask for billing info before they get to see shipping.

Ok. Given the exorbitant shipping charged by some (er ... Shutterfly), I guess I can somewhat understand the customer's paranoia over undisclosed shipping costs.
  • Options
    edited June 23, 2008
    gblotter wrote:
    Ok. Given the exorbitant shipping charged by some (er ... Shutterfly), I guess I can somewhat understand the customer's paranoia over undisclosed shipping costs.
    If we interface to other vendors, shipping will vary even more and a shipping table becomes even less satisfying.
  • Options
    rich56krich56k Registered Users Posts: 547 Major grins
    edited June 23, 2008
    Baldy wrote:
    It's very important part of our revenue...

The good news is I have the ability to send the message out to just pros. The bad is it will displace the current message on their home pages, which is the don't panic about the save icon being visible while you're logged in message. The message gets bumped from your home page to the news page, which is read much less frequently, when a new message comes along.

Since many of our pros shoot all weekend, they won't have a chance to read that message until Monday or Tuesday. We need 'em to see it to keep panic at bay.

So I'll probably send out a notification about the cart on Tuesday afternoon or so.

Most people set their email preference to not receive it, because they're tired of being pummeled by spam and don't trust that we won't succumb to temptation and use email to pimp a Mother's Day sale or something.

Great - thanks for the clarification!! thumb.gif

For what it's worth - nothing you've ever sent me has been construed as spam...I welcome the rare times you have sent notices - and believe your other customers would welcome notice of discussion of these changes looming.... :D

Any how, after seeing the comments regarding the "true / auto" color choices in the new cart - am I dense (rolleyes1.gif) or why (assuming I've made that decision already in my customize gallery settings - and most pro's have too)
    is this even in the cart for the customer to have access to??? headscratch.gif

I know it's in the cart now - but if I choose auto in ALL my galleries and a customer chooses true what then?

And I'm not using proof delay - have not had any problems yet...
    thanks
    rich56k
    http://HooliganUnderground.com
    Member: ASMP; EP; NPPA; CPS
  • Options
    edited June 23, 2008
    rich56k wrote:

I know it's in the cart now - but if I choose auto in ALL my galleries and a customer chooses true what then?

thanks
    rich56k
    Set your galleries for proof delay and then when the order comes in, if it's changed the wrong way you can re-set it thumb.gif
  • Options
    mbellotmbellot Registered Users Posts: 465 Major grins
    edited June 23, 2008
    Baldy wrote:
    Hey Greg,

We get a lot of customers whose heads explode if they can't figure out the shipping costs as up front as possible. Providing a link to the shipping table up front hasn't been very satisfying because it varies by country, and sometimes by product in the case of gifts.

Some people feel we are the devil himself if we ask for billing info before they get to see shipping.

I would echo the sentiment, which is why I really like sites (B&H for example) that will give you a shipping quote based on zip code only.

Plug in your zip and watch the shipping charges accumulate. rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    edited June 23, 2008
    Andy wrote:
    Set your galleries for proof delay and then when the order comes in, if it's changed the wrong way you can re-set it thumb.gif

I understand that part now - but why does and/or should a customer have this option to start with?? ne_nau.gif

It's kinda like I ONLY offer 3x4 aspect ratio print sizes - so only those appear in the/my cart (PLEASE don't change that part) deal.gif

Sorry to be so dense about this...

rich
  • Options
    edited June 23, 2008
    rich56k wrote:
    I understand that part now - but why does and/or should a customer have this option to start with?? ne_nau.gif
    They shouldn't. I hate that too. I badly want for it not to show when you made a choice in your galleries, but I don't want to delay the cart for this.

The reason I don't want the delay is it turns out to be tempest in a teapot more often than not because few people ever change what you have it set at.

On the other hand, there are some crucial features we really need to make happen once the cart ships.
  • Options
    edited June 23, 2008
    Baldy wrote:
    They shouldn't. I hate that too. I badly want for it not to show when you made a choice in your galleries, but I don't want to delay the cart for this.

At least I don't feel so bad now - Laughing.gif!! :D

So for now maybe back-burner as a future 'feature request' once all this new cart 'goodness' is carried out...

I guess I should get with the program and use proof delay...but, here's a stupid question - can I bulk change all 60+ of my galleries (that offer prints for sale) in one fell swoop - like portfolio pricing - this would be the only change - to add 3-day proof delay headscratch.gif

thanks
    rich56k
  • Options
    edited June 23, 2008
    rich56k wrote:
    I guess I should get with the program and use proof delay...but, here's a stupid question - can I bulk change all 60+ of my galleries (that offer prints for sale) in one fell swoop - like portfolio pricing - this would be the only change - to add 3-day proof delay headscratch.gif

thanks
    rich56k
    if they all have the same settings, yes. http://www.smugmug.com/help/picture-storage

Also: The EXCELLENT SmugBrowser Firefox Addon is a quick way to touch lots of galleries thumb.gif

http://wiki.smugmug.com/display/SmugMug/Hacks+and+Apps
  • Options
    edited June 23, 2008
    Andy wrote:
    if they all have the same settings, yes. http://www.smugmug.com/help/picture-storage

Also: The EXCELLENT SmugBrowser Firefox Addon is a quick way to touch lots of galleries thumb.gif

Great, yes they do!! - Thanks Andy thumb.gif

rich56k
  • Options
    edited June 23, 2008
    Andy wrote:

oh thank you so MUCH! clap.gif

you just saved me hours of work!

Another bookmark that I had no clue about.

(sigh)

I guess I should have been on the forum earlier. I was just too busy out there working. :ivar
  • Options
    bkatzbkatz Registered Users Posts: 286 Major grins
    edited June 23, 2008
    Baldy wrote:

The reason I don't want the delay is it turns out to be tempest in a teapot more often than not because few people ever change what you have it set at.

On the other hand, there are some crucial features we really need to make happen once the cart ships.

Is there a way to give us a bulk change in the proof delay so we don't have to hit each picture to change it (an order of 60 pictures where they change it is a pain to change each one)?
  • Options
    edited June 23, 2008
    Baldy wrote:
    Then offer shipping options:

317322814_itduc-X2.png
    Is there a way to restrict a shipping option? I have had more than 1 complaint about 1st class mail really being media mail which can take up to 14 business days....not really first class and I would love to be able to decide if the option should be available or to limit to express mail and above.
  • Options
    edited June 24, 2008
    bkatz wrote:
    Is there a way to restrict a shipping option? I have had more than 1 complaint about 1st class mail really being media mail which can take up to 14 business days....not really first class and I would love to be able to decide if the option should be available or to limit to express mail and above.
    Hmmm... Not that I know of, unfortunately, sorry. It really is 1st class mail but yes it can take up to 14 days. We restrict it to orders 5x7 or below and 50 prints or less.
  • Options
    edited June 24, 2008
    Solution to the Auto/True dilemma...

Currently the default for pro accounts is True, a very expensive proposition because returns of True color prints are 10:1 over Autocolor. That's why Mpix and all the other labs do everything in their power to get you to choose the Auto option, or in the case of whcc they make you prove you can adjust your own with a set of test prints before they will open up an account for you.

So we have special incentive to fix this.

We were trying to think of alternatives and I can think of two. An easy one (for us) that we can implement quickly (possibly this week), or one that would require a database change and more time.

Easy:

Revert the default to Auto for pros thus saving us and print buyers untold tears. Then if the pro selects True, have the cart not offer a choice.

The downsides are:

(1) There is no way for a pro to force Auto and hide the True choice for their customers.
    (2) It assumes that the pro who defaults to True wants to remove choice for their customers.

Harder:

Add a third option in the gallery customization: (True) (Auto) (Customer choice)

It's not killer to do #2 but it couldn't happen without slipping the new cart ship date, or it could happen sometime after the cart ships. I suppose the initial default would be customer choice, and then we'd have to figure out how to bulk change it for pros who want the new option but have lots of existing galleries.
  • Options
    edited June 24, 2008
    Baldy wrote:

Easy:

Revert the default to Auto for pros thus saving us and print buyers untold tears. Then if the pro selects True, have the cart not offer a choice.

The downsides are:

(1) There is no way for a pro to force Auto and hide the True choice for their customers.
    (2) It assumes that the pro who defaults to True wants to remove choice for their customers.

Harder:

Add a third option in the gallery customization: (True) (Auto) (Customer choice)
    Why not (for pro accounts at least) simply remove the option from the customer cart completely.

If I have Auto turned on why would I want to give the customer the chance to get bad (maybe) prints because there was no color correction.

Same arguement goes in reverse. If I have spent the time to use the ICC profiles and turned on "True" color why should my customers be able to produce bad (again, maybe) prints.

It (color mode) simply shouldn't be a customer choice. Period.

And FWIW - I think (based on what you said about true color returns) the default should be Auto. Someone who spends the time to use profiles will spend the time to change the option from its default.
  • Options
    edited June 24, 2008
    Baldy wrote:

Currently the default for pro accounts is True, a very expensive proposition because returns of True color prints are 10:1 over Autocolor. That's why Mpix and all the other labs do everything in their power to get you to choose the Auto option, or in the case of whcc they make you prove you can adjust your own with a set of test prints before they will open up an account for you.

So we have special incentive to fix this.

We were trying to think of alternatives and I can think of two. An easy one (for us) that we can implement quickly (possibly this week), or one that would require a database change and more time.

Easy:

The downsides are:

Harder:

It's not killer to do #2 but it couldn't happen without slipping the new cart ship date, or it could happen sometime after the cart ships. I suppose the initial default would be customer choice, and then we'd have to figure out how to bulk change it for pros who want the new option but have lots of existing galleries.

I like the combo of implementing the first option with the second one to be delivered after coupons (by the way wings.gif woohoo knowing this is next). It is more than acceptable to me especiallyonce you have a way to set it bulk on directories.

I would still like a bulk option on the proof screen so that when a user orders 30 photos we can bulk set it correctly if we would like. (Hate it when you miss one by mistake.....)
  • Options
    edited June 24, 2008
    mbellot wrote:
    Why not (for pro accounts at least) simply remove the option from the customer cart completely.
    We get mixed orders from people like me. I can pretty much tell at a glance which items print best true or auto depending on whether I hit the white balance right, had time to adjust it, etc. It's so very convenient to just click the buttons as I order prints.

I don't have numbers on how many people use the cart this way but I know some pros who do.
  • Options
    edited June 25, 2008
    Baldy wrote:
    We get mixed orders from people like me. I can pretty much tell at a glance which items print best true or auto depending on whether I hit the white balance right, had time to adjust it, etc. It's so very convenient to just click the buttons as I order prints.

I don't have numbers on how many people use the cart this way but I know some pros who do.
    I'm not suggesting tha it be removed from the pro's own cart, just from anyone else who orders from that sight.

Being logged in (or not) should be enough to determine the availability of the color correction option (but still apply the default value set by the pro).

My S.W.A.G. would be that less than 5% of non-owners who place orders know what the color correction option really means, and those that do know would hope that the photog made the right choice for them.

I'm done now.

:deadhorse
  • Options
    brjphotobrjphoto Registered Users Posts: 168 Major grins
    edited June 25, 2008
    I'm a little dissapointed...
    I'm a little dissapointed that I had to read through this entire thread to learn about the new shopping cart. It took a lot of my time and as you know, pro shooters like me don't have a lot of time. In the future would it be possible to just roll out new features without advance notice? This would save me the time and trouble of having to read dgrin and browse through the threads.
    rolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gif

Seriously, get this thing moving. It looks good so far. I have some minor quibbles, but nothing that I would want to push back the release for. I will know better about how much I like it once I have had a chance to use it. Release this puppy and get cracking on coupons and packages! thumb.gifclap.gifclap.gif
  • Options
    edited June 25, 2008
    mbellot wrote:
    I'm not suggesting tha it be removed from the pro's own cart, just from anyone else who orders from that sight.

Being logged in (or not) should be enough to determine the availability of the color correction option (but still apply the default value set by the pro).

My S.W.A.G. would be that less than 5% of non-owners who place orders know what the color correction option really means, and those that do know would hope that the photog made the right choice for them.

I'm done now.

:deadhorse
    This is a pretty interesting proposal, actually. Some good thinking here. clap.gif

We're debating and trying to think of why heads may explode, and also debating whether we can get it into this release.
  • Options
    DeeDeeODeeDeeO Registered Users Posts: 16 Big grins
    edited June 25, 2008
    NWMtnGuy wrote:
    2) Not really a problem, but I never understood why "standard prints" and "compact camera prints" are broken into different categories. I understand that these are different aspect ratios that correspond to common digital sensor sizes, but I would be surprised if most people really make this distinction. Maybe your research shows otherwise. If so, I trust your data.

Dale

I would have to agree with Dale on this. I make a lot of square prints, and my customers "always" will try fit the square into a circle... if you know what I mean. They never know that those "cool" sizes are hiding behind another tab.
  • Options
    DeeDeeODeeDeeO Registered Users Posts: 16 Big grins
    edited June 25, 2008
    With respect to having customers choose "auto" vs "true".......please make it go away in the cart!!!

You know having the customers have the option to select "Auto" correct vs "true" is way to scary. Most do not know the difference. We'll have a Costco Nightmare on our hands. ( I say this, because mom in law would buy the photos that I had uploaded to Costco - years ago mind you, and would always select auto, and then show all my photos to her friends and....oh my god, they did not look like what I created!!) As a Professional, This option should remain as it is now and should only be determined through the gallery customizations. This option needs to go away in the cart. Pretty Please!!! [I do my own color correcting in photoshop and check regularly for quality....and having this option will make me sweat and be a reflection of my work. God forbid they choose the "auto" button!!!]
  • Options
    Rene`Rene` Registered Users Posts: 207 Major grins
    edited June 25, 2008
    I would also love to be able to ..........
    Andy wrote:
    Yes, for those that make you register, with email addresses and such. We don't do that so it's cookie-based. AWESOME Feedback, ren thumb.gifclap.gifbowdown.gif
    S

Save the order for later. Some times I have large orders and it would really be a benefit!