Options

Photo View Count - SmugMug Stats being upgraded

Comments

• Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,929 moderator
    edited April 9, 2009
    Andy wrote:
    Should be able to do this... We'll do our best to include this in the new stats features. I've made sure Brad, the engineer working this, has your request!

If the final version is not going to be real-time, it would be helpful if the reporting included a timestamp of the last update.
  • Options
    theoptimizerstheoptimizers Registered Users Posts: 16 Big grins
    edited April 9, 2009
    Richard wrote:
    If the final version is not going to be real-time, it would be helpful if the reporting included a timestamp of the last update.

This would be great regardless of real-time. Actually, it's especially important if not real-time. Like now. :cry
  • Options
    jzieglerjziegler Registered Users Posts: 420 Major grins
    edited April 13, 2009
    Missing stats?
    I have one gallery (http://jziegler.smugmug.com/gallery/5239102_dZ722) that has some pageviews (15, last week) in google analytics, but has nothing showing up in my stats. Since I'm not a pro, it isn't really important to me, but I like to know so I can try to improve my site. I don't mind the less frequent updates, although I prefered when they were faster. I just want to join those asking if the current stats really are correct.

Thanks
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited April 13, 2009
    jziegler wrote:
    I have one gallery (http://jziegler.smugmug.com/gallery/5239102_dZ722) that has some pageviews (15, last week)

Were they from a non-logged in browser (meaning, not you)?
  • Options
    edited April 13, 2009
    Andy wrote:
    Were they from a non-logged in browser (meaning, not you)?

Yes, they were. When I'm logged in, it doesn't register on Google Analytics on the computers that I use.
  • Options
    addisaddis Registered Users Posts: 9 Beginner grinner
    edited April 16, 2009
    News?
    Do we have any updated news on what's happening? Do we know if the stats will once again be real time, and if so, when that might be happening? Thank you for any news you can give us.

Eva
  • Options
    edited April 16, 2009
    addis wrote:
    Do we have any updated news on what's happening? Do we know if the stats will once again be real time, and if so, when that might be happening? Thank you for any news you can give us.

Eva
    http://www.dgrin.com/showpost.php?p=1083582&postcount=107
  • Options
    edited April 16, 2009
    jziegler wrote:
    Yes, they were. When I'm logged in, it doesn't register on Google Analytics on the computers that I use.
    I see them here http://jziegler.smugmug.com/homepage/stats.mg?AlbumID=5239102&AlbumKey=dZ722
  • Options
    edited April 16, 2009
    Andy wrote:

Does that mean there isn't any new or updated news?
  • Options
    edited April 16, 2009
    addis wrote:
    Does that mean there isn't any new or updated news?
    Hi Addis, a SmugMug Sorcerer has been assigned to the job, he's on the job and in the not so distant future we expect to have an important feature upgrade to Stats.
  • Options
    edited April 16, 2009
    Andy wrote:

I do see some now. They did take more than a day to show up, but the count is there. Thanks for looking into it.
  • Options
    edited April 17, 2009
    Andy wrote:
    Hi Addis, a SmugMug Sorcerer has been assigned to the job, he's on the job and in the not so distant future we expect to have an important feature upgrade to Stats.

Andy, Since it's been such a long time, occasional updates are nice, and appreciated.

Thank you,
    Eva
  • Options
    beetle8beetle8 Registered Users Posts: 677 Major grins
    edited April 17, 2009
    Agreed 15524779-Ti.gif
  • Options
    edited April 17, 2009
    addis wrote:
    Andy, Since it's been such a long time, occasional updates are nice, and appreciated.

Thank you,
    Eva
    Hey, if we had something to say, we'll update. I'm not going to update on no news :D

Please know that our engineer is working on this, and full-time, and it's his #1 priority. Next news will be release. http://blogs.smugmug.com/release-notes/
  • Options
    edited April 21, 2009
    Andy wrote:
    Hey, if we had something to say, we'll update. I'm not going to update on no news :D

So, the good news in this for me was that I became more aware of this forum. While checking for news on stats every day, I also read threads about customizing my site. I think it's looking much better now. thumb.gif

So, please thank your engineer for giving me so many opportunities to improve. wings.gif
  • Options
    edited April 21, 2009
    So, the good news in this for me was that I became more aware of this forum. While checking for news on stats every day, I also read threads about customizing my site. I think it's looking much better now. thumb.gif

So, please thank your engineer for giving me so many opportunities to improve. wings.gif
    cool. You can also subscribe to our release notes blog and just get notified by RSS feed when we release it :D

http://blogs.smugmug.com/release-notes/
  • Options
    edited April 29, 2009
    No stat updates for a couple of days. :cry I was expecting more timely updates deal.gif but I know the economy is tough right now.
    :deadhorse Sure would be nice to see some new stat features.:deadhorse

I know our patience will be rewarded when the shiny new stat features eventually come. Because your web guys are the best!!! :buttkiss
  • Options
    edited April 29, 2009
    No stat updates for a couple of days.

Really? What gallery? We're updating stats every 24hrs or less. If it were otherwise, that'd be a bug, I'd expect.
  • Options
    edited April 29, 2009
    Andy wrote:
    Really? What gallery? We're updating stats every 24hrs or less. If it were otherwise, that'd be a bug, I'd expect.

This gallery specifically has had hits that are not shown ...
    http://photos.cunningham-photo.com/gallery/8028810_yaMbA

And at least two others I know have had more hits based on conversations.
  • Options
    PhotobycatePhotobycate Registered Users Posts: 127 Major grins
    edited May 2, 2009
    Stats Update Please
    Where is SmugMug with the new stats reporting?
  • Options
    edited May 2, 2009
    Where is SmugMug with the new stats reporting?
    No update, other than it's in the works, Sorcerer assigned, and is actively working on a major update to our stats ability.

For now, nothing more to add to this message appearing on your stats page. IMPORTANT: SmugMug statistics are getting a much needed overhaul with some exciting new features. As a result, statistics aren't up-to-the-second currently while we finish our work. We're still tracking all your hits, it just may take a little longer for them to show up here in your graphs. Your stats may be out-of-date for up to 24 hours but are otherwise working fine and are current.

We'll announce new stats on release notes, http://blogs.smugmug.com/release-notes/ be sure to subscribe in your favorite feed reader!
  • Options
    JC4JC4 Registered Users Posts: 8 Beginner grinner
    edited May 2, 2009
    This gallery specifically has had hits that are not shown ...
    http://photos.cunningham-photo.com/gallery/8028810_yaMbA

And at least two others I know have had more hits based on conversations.

Same here. No updates in 2 days. I know this gallery should have hits(Recent, active forum posts)
    http://johncaputo.smugmug.com/gallery/4928909_AMCfM

None of my Galleries have hits for May, which is unusual.

Edit: Stats working again.
  • Options
    edited May 4, 2009
    Are you working on something today? I've been having trouble all day trying to log in and get to the control panel. I also can't load pages from my StatCounter.
  • Options
    edited May 4, 2009
    addis wrote:
    Are you working on something today? I've been having trouble all day trying to log in and get to the control panel. I also can't load pages from my StatCounter.
    No we're not. Write our heroes and we'll do some diagnostics on your connection to us.

http://www.smugmug.com/help/emailreal
  • Options
    JCCJCC Registered Users Posts: 27 Big grins
    edited May 6, 2009
    Matching SmugMug Stats to Google Analytics
    I know there's a thread post on this somewhere but I sure can't find it today. So, I'll just ask:

1. Why is there a difference between SmugMug Site Visit stats (eg: photos viewed this month) and Google Analytics' Pageviews? They differ by a power of 10ish.
    2. Can the two be brought closer together by using a more detailed (really really detailed - eg: make each photo a "page") sitemap?

Thanks!
    Jill
  • Options
    l4pil4pi Registered Users Posts: 57 Big grins
    edited June 4, 2009
    Anybody still working on this?
  • Options
    JCCJCC Registered Users Posts: 27 Big grins
    edited June 4, 2009
    Matching SmugMug Stats to Google Analytics
    JCC wrote:

2. Can the two be brought closer together by using a more detailed (really really detailed - eg: make each photo a "page") sitemap?

Thanks!
    Jill
    Hi James-
    I've gotten this to work, to a point. Google will recognize the page type down to the gallery level. So that makes up for at least part of the difference. I'm guessing there's a way to do it down to the photo level, I just haven't had time to solve that yet.
    Your photos are great!
    Jill
    http://jcarpenterclicks.com
  • Options
    edited June 4, 2009
    l4pi wrote:
    Anybody still working on this?
    Yup. But while we work, we're counting your photo views and updating stats every 24hrs or less (usually far, far less these days).
  • Options
    beetle8beetle8 Registered Users Posts: 677 Major grins
    edited June 4, 2009
    I just finished reading a thread from 4 years ago about Sm working on packages.

Related to stats...SM has officially taken something away from me that they used to provide as part of the service I pay for. A feature that I used on a regular basis, hourly tracking for the first 36 to 48 hours after an event.

This is not a new feature release, this is a broken feature going on 3 months.

Back to my cheesy analogy, if the cable service you paid for suddenly lost a vital component, say audio, how long would you sit while the cable company told you they were working on it but have no further or more detailed info.

This...
    Andy wrote:

Doesn't reassure me that this is as high a priority as I feel like it should be. Again, we are not talking about packages here, and the old SM policy of not divulging dates on new feature releases. This was taken away from us without notice under what seems to be a ruse of
    SM wrote:
    SmugMug statistics are getting a much needed overhaul with some exciting new features...
    Which seems to go in direct contradiction to your, "we don't pre-announce new releases policy"

no notice no nothing with substance,

You know what my Grandpa used to say, "If it aint broke don't fix it"
    maybe he should have added, "if it is broke and someones' payin' ya' for it, you better get yer butt in gear and fix it fast"

-Keith
  • Options
    SheafSheaf Registered Users, SmugMug Product Team Posts: 775 SmugMug Employee
    edited June 4, 2009
    beetle8 wrote:
    You know what my Grandpa used to say, "If it aint broke don't fix it"
    maybe he should have added, "if it is broke and someones' payin' ya' for it, you better get yer butt in gear and fix it fast"

It was broken, but not generally customer-facing-broken. It was causing major issues on our backend, meaning that you were seeing significantly more site problems. This was an overhaul to lighten the load on our database servers.

I know stats are extremely important to people, but I'm not sure why this is causing such an uproar. The stats are working the same as before, just slightly delayed. And we are working hard at improving the whole feature.
    SmugMug Product Manager