Options

Can youz test a new uploader?

Comments

• Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited May 21, 2009
    jchin wrote:
    Can I make this my default uploader now? Or we must wait until it is "live"?
    Just start using it :) We'll remember your preference.
  • Options
    petebockenpetebocken Registered Users Posts: 31 Big grins
    edited May 31, 2009
    Looks like I was automatically put back at applet 9. Put it back to 10 and it doesn't upload anymore. Maybe we are close to a launch?
  • Options
    edited May 31, 2009
    petebocken wrote:
    Looks like I was automatically put back at applet 9. Put it back to 10 and it doesn't upload anymore. Maybe we are close to a launch?
    applet=10 is already live - clear your SmugMug cookies and try again okay?
  • Options
    edited May 31, 2009
    Cleared all smugmug cookies, came back with applet 9 again.

I'm on Firefox 3.0.10 Vista
  • Options
    edited May 31, 2009
    petebocken wrote:
    Cleared all smugmug cookies, came back with applet 9 again.

I'm on Firefox 3.0.10 Vista
    Right. Change 9 to 10.
  • Options
    edited May 31, 2009
    Ah, I thought you meant it was live for all without having to edit the URL. It's working again now after clearing cookies. Thanks.
  • Options
    NimaiNimai Registered Users Posts: 564 Major grins
    edited June 2, 2009
    With any uploader, there will be times when connectivity is lost or the computer or browser crashes. I've been uploading hundreds of photos a day, and at least once a week something goes wrong and not all of the photos upload.
    I know I've made this request earlier, but I really need an uploader that has the option to skip photos that are already in the gallery, especially since the uploader doesn't appear to load files in alphabetical order. Every time I return to my upload to see that something went awry, I have to delete everything in the gallery and start over. This is particularly agonizing when I've already emailed people to let them know that the photos are almost ready.

Thanks for your work on improving this bit of SmugMug!
  • Options
    jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited June 2, 2009
    Nimai wrote:
    With any uploader, there will be times when connectivity is lost or the computer or browser crashes. I've been uploading hundreds of photos a day, and at least once a week something goes wrong and not all of the photos upload.
    I know I've made this request earlier, but I really need an uploader that has the option to skip photos that are already in the gallery, especially since the uploader doesn't appear to load files in alphabetical order. Every time I return to my upload to see that something went awry, I have to delete everything in the gallery and start over. This is particularly agonizing when I've already emailed people to let them know that the photos are almost ready.

Thanks for your work on improving this bit of SmugMug!
    Or even better, an uploader that reliably knows what it did and didn't upload and leaves the ones that didn't upload in the upload queue waiting for you to go again. That seems like such a basic reliability feature for a photo uploader, I'm quite surprised Smugmug hasn't done that in all these years.

I use StarExplorer as my uploader primarily because it does this. It also has configurable retries and retry delays in case there is a temporary connectivity outage that comes back shortly. All of this makes it a ton more manageable for me to do unattended uploads overnight (I uploaded 200 images last night and will be doing about 800 tonight). In the morning, I just check the queue in StarExplorer to see if any images didn't make it and if not, just hit upload again. This morning the queue was empty.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question
  • Options
    MoxMox Registered Users Posts: 313 Major grins
    edited June 3, 2009
    I don't have a bug to report, but a small request.

Is it possible to make the uploader default back to the previous open file folder we selected from? Each time used, it goes back to the main hard drive menu, making me select Pictures, then the specific folder. It's not a big deal, but if it's easy, it would be nice.

It's working far more smoothly for me so far than the original.
  • Options
    jchinjchin Registered Users Posts: 713 Major grins
    edited June 4, 2009
    REQUEST for change in Uploader.

When I type in the path to the directory I want, can it be an option to show you the files in that directory instead of selecting everything automatically?
    Johnny J. Chin ~ J. Chin Photography
    FacebookFlickrSmugMug
    SmugMug referral coupon code: ix3uDyfBU6xXs
    (use this for a discount off your SmugMug subscription)
  • Options
    ShizamShizam Registered Users Posts: 418 Major grins
    edited June 5, 2009
    Hi All,
    Bunch of changes to the uploader released today and consider this a release candidate.

-New awesome look
    -Duplicate handling!: Offers three options for duplicates, skip, allow, replace
    -Error handling: If there is an issue with the upload for some reason it retries 3 times then moves on
    -Now correctly allows you to upload images > then the max size for the account level (12 or 24) and resizes the image serverside
    -Allows non-ascii file names
    -Some UI improvements

Have a go at it and give some feedback.

Thanks,
    Sam
    Ever hear of Optimus Zoom? Me either.
    SmugMug iOS Sorcerer
  • Options
    edited June 5, 2009
    jchin wrote:
    REQUEST for change in Uploader.

When I type in the path to the directory I want, can it be an option to show you the files in that directory instead of selecting everything automatically?

Sorry jchin,
    I have next to no control over what goes on in that file picker dialog that pops up, you essentially say 'show the user the picker' and thats it. I can add things like buttons etc and I can influence what shows up in the dropdown list but beyond that Java takes it out of my control :)

Sam
    SmugMug iOS Sorcerer
  • Options
    edited June 5, 2009
    Mox wrote:
    I don't have a bug to report, but a small request.

Is it possible to make the uploader default back to the previous open file folder we selected from? Each time used, it goes back to the main hard drive menu, making me select Pictures, then the specific folder. It's not a big deal, but if it's easy, it would be nice.

It's working far more smoothly for me so far than the original.

I'm looking into storing preferences like this as I want to store the user preference for duplicate handling as well.
    SmugMug iOS Sorcerer
  • Options
    edited June 5, 2009
    Shizam ... thanks for the update. I will be uploading this weekend. Hopefully we won't have the same outages this weekend as we did in the last.
    FacebookFlickrSmugMug
  • Options
    ghostrider455ghostrider455 Registered Users Posts: 16 Big grins
    edited June 5, 2009
    I have a bug, whenever I upload a file, the progress bar shows the file as being uploaded instantly.
  • Options
    edited June 5, 2009
    I have a bug, whenever I upload a file, the progress bar shows the file as being uploaded instantly.

Is it a tiny tiny file and you have super fast internets? Here at the office we have 200Mbit and if the files are less than 2-3MB they just upload instantly.
    SmugMug iOS Sorcerer
  • Options
    edited June 6, 2009
    Nice interface. Love the option to skip duplicates. Fast upload, so fast that I have one complaint. If we are only adding one or two images and they upload quickly ... we do not have any confirmation that they were done.

So can there be some sort of "results" message after the upload is complete. Maybe something that says "XX images were uploaded." Can that be added?
    FacebookFlickrSmugMug
  • Options
    edited June 6, 2009
    This is a good thing, no?
  • Options
    carolinecaroline Registered Users Posts: 1,302 Major grins
    edited June 6, 2009
    What uploader ? where can I find this please ?

Caroline

Shizam wrote:
    Hi All,
    Bunch of changes to the uploader released today and consider this a release candidate.

-New awesome look
    -Error handling: If there is an issue with the upload for some reason it retries 3 times then moves on
    -Now correctly allows you to upload images > then the max size for the account level (12 or 24) and resizes the image serverside
    -Some UI improvements

Thanks,
    Sam
    Mendip Blog - Blog from The Fog, life on the Mendips
    www.carolineshipsey.co.uk - Follow me on G+

[/URL]
  • Options
    edited June 6, 2009
    caroline wrote:
    What uploader ? where can I find this please ?

Caroline
    Caroline please see post #1 of this very thread, thank you.
  • Options
    carolinecaroline Registered Users Posts: 1,302 Major grins
    edited June 6, 2009
    Andy wrote:
    Caroline please see post #1 of this very thread, thank you.
    Sorry, Andy, I thought it must be something newer that I had missed, don't have much time to check in here now.

Caroline
    Mendip Blog - Blog from The Fog, life on the Mendips
    www.carolineshipsey.co.uk - Follow me on G+

[/URL]
  • Options
    edited June 6, 2009
    caroline wrote:
    Sorry, Andy, I thought it must be something newer that I had missed, don't have much time to check in here now.

Caroline
    Caroline, it's never, ever a problem to ask :D
  • Options
    jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited June 6, 2009
    Andy wrote:
    The behavior I've seen occasionally is the progress bar whizzes from 0-100, then takes a long time to actually complete the upload of the image. If that's what they are seeing, then no, this is not a good thing.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question
  • Options
    edited June 6, 2009
    Andy wrote:

Well ... a little more "feedback" from the uploader would help. I was uploading small batches into 1 gallery, if I walk away and it finished quickly, I may not realize if a particular batch was done or was it waiting for me to add those images. However, that "skip duplicates" option would come into play at that point, I guess. All in all, it is very good. Was just hoping for some (little) more feedback. Maybe instead of saying "Overall Progress: Idle", say something like "Overall Progress: 34 images uploaded" or "Overall Progress: upload complete".
    FacebookFlickrSmugMug
  • Options
    edited June 7, 2009
    jchin wrote:
    Well ... a little more "feedback" from the uploader would help. I was uploading small batches into 1 gallery, if I walk away and it finished quickly, I may not realize if a particular batch was done or was it waiting for me to add those images. However, that "skip duplicates" option would come into play at that point, I guess. All in all, it is very good. Was just hoping for some (little) more feedback. Maybe instead of saying "Overall Progress: Idle", say something like "Overall Progress: 34 images uploaded" or "Overall Progress: upload complete".

I agree,
    The 'Overall Progress' should/will show some sort of success information like you mentioned, I'll add that in.

Sam
    SmugMug iOS Sorcerer
  • Options
    edited June 9, 2009
    For those of you who've tried this, we'd love you all to give applet=10 another serious go-through please, just add photos and play around with the options - add all sorts of photos, videos, see if you can break it, thanks!

-New awesome look
    -Some UI improvements

• Options
    edited June 9, 2009
    I may have found an interface (display) bug.

I just tried to upload 100 images and selected "skip duplicates". I clicked "Upload" ... well all 100 images were "skipped" because they were duplicates. The screen clears, the "What else can I upload?" box came back up in the middle. HOWEVER, the button on the top right still reads "Stop Uploading".

Bug?
    FacebookFlickrSmugMug
  • Options
    edited June 10, 2009
    jchin wrote:
    I may have found an interface (display) bug.

I just tried to upload 100 images and selected "skip duplicates". I clicked "Upload" ... well all 100 images were "skipped" because they were duplicates. The screen clears, the "What else can I upload?" box came back up in the middle. HOWEVER, the button on the top right still reads "Stop Uploading".

Bug?
    Thanks Johnny, validated and reported.
  • Options
    SamirDSamirD Registered Users Posts: 3,474 Major grins
    edited June 12, 2009
    What are the browser requirements for this uploader? I just tried it on the system where I use the simple uploader and it came back with an "X" once it tried to initiate java. ne_nau.gif
    Pictures and Videos of the Huntsville Car Scene: www.huntsvillecarscene.com
    Want faster uploading? Vote for FTP!
  • Options
    edited June 12, 2009
    SamirD wrote:
    What are the browser requirements for this uploader? I just tried it on the system where I use the simple uploader and it came back with an "X" once it tried to initiate java. ne_nau.gif
    Same as all of SmugMug: IE6/7/8, FF2/3, Safari 3/4. Try updating your Java?