Options

Shooting motocross 2009 style.

Comments

• Options
    ErbemanErbeman Registered Users Posts: 926 Major grins
    edited August 7, 2009
    nipprdog wrote:
    Try the 9-point. You are using AF-C, right? Is your release set to 'focus' ?

Use low, or normal.

eek7.gif

if you want to bump in the camera, use either vivid, or bump the sat in 'standard' or 'nuetral'. But do't use +3 in vivid.

Did you get that info from rockwell's web site? mwink.gif

Yea, what nipper said.
    Come see my Photos at:
    http://www.RussErbePhotography.com :thumb
    http://www.sportsshooter.com/erbeman

D700, D300, Nikkor 35-70 F/2.8, Nikkor 50mm F/1.8, Nikkor 70-200 AF-S VR F/2.8, Nikkor AF-S 1.7 teleconverter II,(2) Profoto D1 500 Air,SB-900, SB-600, (2)MB-D10, MacBook Pro
  • Options
    nw scoutnw scout Registered Users Posts: 256 Major grins
    edited August 8, 2009
    amadeus wrote:
    Two weeks ago I got what I'm considering my 2 best shots to date.

I'm being sentimental and I know these have some flaws but I'm still pretty psyched with these. #94 won the first moto and got knocked down in the first turn of the 2nd. By the time he got up he was 10 seconds down easy and these are experts.

When he came around after the 1st lap he was already in mid pack. He came into this turn really hot and almost lost it but he didn't, and I got the shots. :D

He finished 2nd for a 1-2 for 2nd overall.

Comments appreciated.

606106144_mWF4Z-XL.jpg

I did a little tweaking for you, hope you dont mind
    614042215_rn8UT-L.jpg

I like the shot, you just needed to add a little sharpening and crop out the stuff on the left.

One thing you must remember, the picture needs to tell the story.
    While the info about the race is fun to read, you cant let that have any influence on the image.
    Yes, I think the rider will love it. On Thumper Talk or other motor sports forums, all the riders will love it. But in a photography forum, its about the photography.

That being said, I dont mind the softness near as much as everyone here. I know to many of you that is a bad thing to say, but for me there is more to an image than being tack sharp.
    Dont get me wrong, on an ad shoot, if its soft it goes in the trash. The product must be sharp, anything else can be changed or tweeked later, but the bike must be tack!!!

But this is not an ad shot. Its an editorial type shot at a local track. The action is great as is the lighting.
    For this type of work, I would much rather have this type of image over a sharp boring pic any day.
  • Options
    amadeusamadeus Registered Users Posts: 2,125 Major grins
    edited August 9, 2009
    nw scout wrote:
    I did a little tweaking for you, hope you dont mind

I like the shot, you just needed to add a little sharpening and crop out the stuff on the left.

One thing you must remember, the picture needs to tell the story.
    While the info about the race is fun to read, you cant let that have any influence on the image.
    Yes, I think the rider will love it. On Thumper Talk or other motor sports forums, all the riders will love it. But in a photography forum, its about the photography.

That being said, I dont mind the softness near as much as everyone here. I know to many of you that is a bad thing to say, but for me there is more to an image than being tack sharp.
    Dont get me wrong, on an ad shoot, if its soft it goes in the trash. The product must be sharp, anything else can be changed or tweeked later, but the bike must be tack!!!

But this is not an ad shot. Its an editorial type shot at a local track. The action is great as is the lighting.
    For this type of work, I would much rather have this type of image over a sharp boring pic any day.

thanks for the tweak it is much appreciated. I'll make sure #94 gets to see it.

thanks also for the input, I really like your statment that this is a photography forum, and it brings up another whole giant aspect of digital photography that boggles the mind in its complexity in regards to the digital age of photography.

having said that...I shot at an open practice yesterday and tried those 2 tips I listed along with the tip from above about not bumping the saturation, which I did not.

I think I have now found my nikon D300, because all my shots now look like this, :D

though I did crop and color tweak it in smugmug.

615132875_g58ND-X2-2.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 11, 2009
    hey anybody got any comments on Picassa as a processing tool?

I know its pretty basic (free) but I tried it and got some pretty good results.

anyone?
  • Options
    tdinardotdinardo Registered Users Posts: 98 Big grins
    edited August 11, 2009
    amadeus wrote:
    hey anybody got any comments on Picassa as a processing tool?

I know its pretty basic (free) but I tried it and got some pretty good results.

anyone?

Honestly, if you're shooting a lot (as you appear to be), you should really invest in proper post-processing tools. Most tools offer a trial version so you can figure out if they are appropriate for you. Tools I'd recommend considering are Capture NX2, DxO Optics Pro, and CS4. I use all three, but you can achieve good results with any one of them. Also consider the Nik add-ins for both Capture NX2 and CS4 and invest in a quality monitor calibration tool (I like the X-Rite Gretag Macbeth EyeOne).

Continuing to go cheap in this area is rather like trying to cook a 12 course meal on a coleman camping stove with a frying pan and wondering why the results aren't good....

$0.02
  • Options
    ErbemanErbeman Registered Users Posts: 926 Major grins
    edited August 11, 2009
    tdinardo wrote:
    Honestly, if you're shooting a lot (as you appear to be), you should really invest in proper post-processing tools. Most tools offer a trial version so you can figure out if they are appropriate for you. Tools I'd recommend considering are Capture NX2, DxO Optics Pro, and CS4. I use all three, but you can achieve good results with any one of them. Also consider the Nik add-ins for both Capture NX2 and CS4 and invest in a quality monitor calibration tool (I like the X-Rite Gretag Macbeth EyeOne).

Continuing to go cheap in this area is rather like trying to cook a 12 course meal on a coleman camping stove with a frying pan and wondering why the results aren't good....

$0.02

Yea, what he said. Haha, seriously, post processing is nearly as important as taking a properly exposed picture. Just nut up and buy CS3 or 4 and be done with it and have all of the tools that you will ever need at your fingertips.
    Come see my Photos at:
    http://www.RussErbePhotography.com :thumb
    http://www.sportsshooter.com/erbeman

D700, D300, Nikkor 35-70 F/2.8, Nikkor 50mm F/1.8, Nikkor 70-200 AF-S VR F/2.8, Nikkor AF-S 1.7 teleconverter II,(2) Profoto D1 500 Air,SB-900, SB-600, (2)MB-D10, MacBook Pro
  • Options
    mercphotomercphoto Registered Users Posts: 4,550 Major grins
    edited August 11, 2009
    Erbeman wrote:
    Yea, what he said. Haha, seriously, post processing is nearly as important as taking a properly exposed picture. Just nut up and buy CS3 or 4 and be done with it and have all of the tools that you will ever need at your fingertips.
    I'll third that advice.
    Bill Jurasz - Mercury Photography - Cedar Park, TX
    A former sports shooter
    Follow me at: https://www.flickr.com/photos/bjurasz/
    My Etsy store: https://www.etsy.com/shop/mercphoto?ref=hdr_shop_menu
  • Options
    nw scoutnw scout Registered Users Posts: 256 Major grins
    edited August 11, 2009
    mercphoto wrote:
    I'll third that advice.

4th thumb.gif
    Lightroom is great also. I have been using that for my raw conversions then going into photoshop.
    I also have Capture 1 pro. Great for large workflow and you can shoot tethered so its good for studio work. But its just a conversion software.
    Photoshop is the best do it all. Get it and worry about the price later. It will open up your creative ability in ways you can not even imagine.
  • Options
    edited August 11, 2009
    nw scout wrote:
    4th thumb.gif
    Lightroom is great also.
    Good point. Lightroom or Aperture would be a good route to go. (both cheaper than PS CS4) Not only is it a raw converter and also good at image enhancement (but not to the power of Photoshop), its also a Digital Assets Management tool. And that becomes important as your pile of images grows as well.
    A former sports shooter
  • Options
    edited August 13, 2009
    well thanks for all the input dudes, tomorrow its off to Unadilla.

We used to go every year 71-81 and I haven't been since. :D

I've got a pit pass so will be looking to take more people pics than action, I'm thinking it may get overwhelming trying to focus on shooting, I'm more going as a fan and a mud life crisis..

of course I'm sure I'll grab a few action shots..

I pretty much figured that would be the verdict on Picassa but always feel better hearing things from other people so thanks again for the input. they're having a fan fest tommorow at 4pm and Laporte, Weinert, Tony D and some more are scheduled to be there.

Should be a time machine of sorts, I used to know that track the way I've come to know the Masters back nine.

Did I ever tell you guys about the time we saw Bengt Aberg beat the entire field by over...

thumb.gif
  • Options
    ToshidoToshido Registered Users Posts: 759 Major grins
    edited August 13, 2009
    Haev not heard anything lately but used to hear great things about GIMP.

Free open source photoshop like program. Kinda like photoshop's version of open office.
  • Options
    phillybikeboyphillybikeboy Registered Users Posts: 92 Big grins
    edited August 14, 2009
    Toshido wrote:
    Haev not heard anything lately but used to hear great things about GIMP.

Free open source photoshop like program. Kinda like photoshop's version of open office.

The Gimp is nice and functional. The interface is a bit clumsy. Usable it is, Photoshop it ain't.
  • Options
    GringriffGringriff Registered Users Posts: 340 Major grins
    edited August 14, 2009
    Heading out to Rolling Hills again on Saturday and Sunday
    Rolling Hills is have a vintage race on Saturday afternoon where I hope to get some shot of my friend on the old bikes. Then on Sunday the main race. Excited about my second chance at shooting motocross.
    Andy
    http://andygriffinphoto.com/
    http://andygriffin.smugmug.com/
    Canon 7D, 70-200mm L, 50 and 85 primes, Tamron 17-50, 28-135
  • Options
    Sylvia_ADVSylvia_ADV Registered Users Posts: 14 Big grins
    edited August 15, 2009
    Ok I am a noob, so go easy, can anyone post up racing pics?

510719888_Jopnk-XL.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 16, 2009
    Sylvia_ADV wrote:
    Ok I am a noob, so go easy, can anyone post up racing pics?
    Yep, anyone can post. Nice pic and welcome to the DGRIN forums.

Andy
    Andy
  • Options
    edited August 16, 2009
    Gringriff wrote:
    Yep, anyone can post. Nice pic and welcome to the DGRIN forums.

Andy

Thanks Andy,
    In that case... I'll post a couple of a recent meeting I went to. All off the camera, no PP, just cropped.

583317058_hcq2r-XL.jpg

583317399_vr9ia-XL.jpg

583317706_r7fT2-XL.jpg

583318021_NRGZG-XL.jpg

583316746_46rcp-XL.jpg

583315811_TdKtp-XL.jpg

583316068_go7gW-XL.jpg

583316278_FhBms-XL.jpg

583316506_TZUpz-XL.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 16, 2009
    Sylvia_ADV wrote:
    Thanks Andy,
    In that case... I'll post a couple of a recent meeting I went to. All off the camera, no PP, just cropped.

welcome to the club and those are great shots.

coming hard right at you are my favorites. the way the trees seem to be symetricaly framing his approach is really cool. killer shots.

what is your setup for camera and lens?

what kind of event is that and who is the #1?
  • Options
    edited August 16, 2009
    ok just a quick one of what is my favorite on first review of my unadilla pics. I know its a bit soft but this one really has me tickled on reflection of the weekend.

got to meet Roger D and Danny Laporte and getting to be old buddies with Weinert at this point. An awesome weekend at Unadilla with amateur racing on the "other" track which was REALLY nice and vintage stuff friday afternoon and then the main event on saturday including DeCosters induction into Unadilla's Hall of Fame of which he is the inagural unductee. Got it all on film as they say, will post asap. For now my fave. The french rider beat the field in the 250 class by so far it wasn't even a contest, Pourcele (sp?) flat out flies. What an awesome display of talent. check out the clutch finger. that is serious control of the bike while seriously on the gas and trust me coming hard at you. eek7.gif

all for now.

621383707_dE9bj-X2.jpg
  • Options
    nipprdognipprdog Registered Users Posts: 660 Major grins
    edited August 16, 2009
    amadeus wrote:
    ok just a quick one of what is my favorite on first review of my unadilla pics. I know its a bit soft but this one really has me tickled on reflection of the weekend.

Hey buddy, I hate to burst your bubble, but, forget the softness. That nasty background ruined that shot. Quite frankly, you shouldn't have been shooting from that postion in the first place.

It's been brought up a few times in this thread..."BACKGROUND, BACKGROUND, BACKGROUND"

Pick your shooting spots to get a CLEAN background. mwink.gif

Great timing, btw. But it doesn't matter. Even if the rider is doing something cool, a nasty background will distract from it. Like that 'whip' shot that you posted a few pages ago.

Not doggin' you, just trying to help. The two things that I consider when when picking shooting locations are; 1. Background, 2. Where's the sun?

From today;

621752267_egqmR-O.jpg

Congrats on meeting "The Man". I got his autograph two years ago at Red Bud. Got to see him race a few times way back when in the Trans AMA, USA series.

As for the finger on the clutch. all good rider keep one finger on the clutch at all times. Like this kid.
  • Options
    edited August 16, 2009
    Sylvia_ADV wrote:
    Thanks Andy,

583316068_go7gW-XL.jpg

Cool pics Sylvia. Thanks for posting. Looks like a rough stretch, must have been late in the day. For a moment there I thought he was going to lose it.
    Andy
  • Options
    edited August 17, 2009
    Gringriff wrote:
    Cool pics Sylvia. Thanks for posting. Looks like a rough stretch, must have been late in the day. For a moment there I thought he was going to lose it.
    Thanks for the kind words.
    It was actually in the middle of the day. It was mid winter so the sun hangs fairly low in the sky. He finished second.

I do love a good sequence of pics, you sort of get the feeling of being there.

584460173_QfwSr-XL.jpg

584457638_3UpKQ-XL.jpg

584457440_umEbj-XL.jpg

584456956_PyV2E-XL.jpg

584457276_nmGBq-XL.jpg

584457129_HsXm2-XL.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 17, 2009
    nipprdog wrote:
    Hey buddy, I hate to burst your bubble, but, forget the softness. That nasty background ruined that shot. Quite frankly, you shouldn't have been shooting from that postion in the first place.
    Absolutely correct. Not only should that image have been tossed during the culling process, but as stated its an image that should have never been capture in the first place -- you should have never stood there and shot in that direction to begin with. It was a waste of your time to do so.

Pay more attention to where and when you are shooting.
    A former sports shooter
  • Options
    edited August 17, 2009
    nipprdog wrote:

It's been brought up a few times in this thread..."BACKGROUND, BACKGROUND, BACKGROUND"

Pick your shooting spots to get a CLEAN background. mwink.gif

I hear you and appreciate it but sometimes when shooting motocross you have to take what the track will give you and the heck with the backround.

621699229_4oBRU-XL-1.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 17, 2009
    amadeus wrote:
    I hear you and appreciate it but sometimes when shooting motocross you have to take what the track will give you and the heck with the backround.

No.... you don't.
    A former sports shooter
  • Options
    edited August 17, 2009
    amadeus wrote:

621699229_4oBRU-XL-1.jpg

Maybe not the best background, but nice foreground!
    Andy
  • Options
    edited August 17, 2009
    amadeus wrote:
    I'll put it another way. You have complete control over where you stand, which direction you point the camera, what camera settings you use, and when you click that shutter. So, no, you never have to take what the track gives you. Don't like the background where you are at? Move! Sometimes all you gotta do is move up a little, or down a little. Or to the left 10 feet, or 20 feet. Sometimes you just can't shoot at that particular corner at all. Or you can only shoot there mornings, or only evenings. Why worry about that? The particular shot we were discussing, is there any particular reason why you need to shoot that corner in that direction? No! :)

Step up your game and stop making excuses... :)
    A former sports shooter
  • Options
    2whlrcr2whlrcr Registered Users Posts: 306 Major grins
    edited August 17, 2009
    Gotta agree with the others on this one. This photo should have hit the trash can. If this is the good one, I don't want to see the rest. You have posted up some other past nice photos, but your emotions are getting in the way of this one.

621383707_dE9bj-X2.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 17, 2009
    mercphoto wrote:
    I'll put it another way. You have complete control over where you stand, which direction you point the camera, what camera settings you use, and when you click that shutter. So, no, you never have to take what the track gives you. Don't like the background where you are at? Move! Sometimes all you gotta do is move up a little, or down a little. Or to the left 10 feet, or 20 feet. Sometimes you just can't shoot at that particular corner at all. Or you can only shoot there mornings, or only evenings. Why worry about that? The particular shot we were discussing, is there any particular reason why you need to shoot that corner in that direction? No! :)

Step up your game and stop making excuses... :)

first off I've said it before and I'll say it again any and all input and criticism is appreciated so for the record, thanks for the input, the more you hear it the more it sinks in. I've gone to tracks determined to concentrate on backrounds and a half hour into the day I'm in a daze from watching motorcycles fly by and and I'm in heaven.

in regards to the shot I posted and the points made, here is the deal on my shooting unadilla 2009. I went to the race as a fan first and a photographer second and in that respect I think I succeeded. not having been there or any pro MX in 28 years I wanted to give myself a chance to experience the thrill and not be tied to the camera. I had it with me and took a lot of shots but they weren't my priority at certain times of the day.

saturday was going to be a HOT day and in the morning I was ambling around a bit and given the extensive fencing all the way around the track I wasn't "getting the vibe" in regards to finding good places to shoot while still trying to take it all in. by late 10 am or so I was already up in the Legends and Hero's Retro area and was quite content to hang there, BS with people, cop some autographs, etc and take in the vintage experience. I also spent some time in the pits hoping for people shots as I had a pit pass and hung there for awhile just seeing who came by which was great fun, and remember this was a retro celebration. deal.gif

621443099_rddy6-X2.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 17, 2009
    so by the time it got to the firt moto I had shot very little track shots. by then it was turing hazy and over cast and the great morning light was gone. I shot the first turn from where I happened to be and the shots were not good, and then I entered the infield which I had acceess to. once there given the hazy light and the distance the fence was creating I still found the camera was having a hard time focusing given the distance and light and was still not getting good shots. I moved around a little in the infield and found some better angles but nothing great. I returned to the pitts after moto 2 as there was going to be a 2 stroke race and I ahd several friends in it.

here is where it got interesting..
  • Options
    edited August 17, 2009
    when the 2 stroke riders and entourage moved the the gate area I was right in the thick of all the fun. Weinert was entertaing the small crowd of riders and supporting cast and all was well. I then moseyed down to the first turn on the inisde of the turn where only press and team members etc normally have access to, as much of the rest of the track.

long story short I stayed there for both starts of both classes second motos and had a good angle and good light all things considered and stayed there for quite awhile.

2/3 into the final moto I decided I might as well move or all my shots are going to be the same and if I got "caught" what the heck the race was almost over. so I ambled down the sesction of track and came to another whole new turn at the end of a straight. they were coming in hard and had to deal with some serious braking bumps while at the same time making a medium grade right turn. so while my shot of 377 on the gas may have a bad backround it is for me a "good" shot. he's on the gas and coming hard and it was a sight to behold. nothing more nothing less.

so again the inout appreciated, but I thought the backround of the backround was worth documenting.

heres one from the little jump I shot which was 1st turn area after they were coming around again.

621840122_UhyyL-X2-1.jpg