Options

Unposed / 2009

ruttrutt Registered Users Posts: 6,511 Major grins
OK, I've reached some sort of milestone in making a blurb book out of the YIR 2009 pictures. Here's a first spin. Unless you are very charitable and willing to pay to help proof, don't order this! I expect another spin in a day or so. (But, hey wait, not many of these maybe none, will print. So there might be quite an opportunity for the rare book collector. Wait, what am I drinking?)

A couple of people (you know who you are) owe me some feedback and/or images. There are five missing images right now; hopefully I'll get responses from the photographers and I'll add by the next spin.

Now about the graphic design. It's just about the simplest thing I could think of. I'll welcome suggestions; I have no stake in this, so don't hesitate.

Is there a lawyer out there? If so, please take a look at the copyright page and let me know if it's OK.

Chime in with any feedback now. I'm eager to wrap this up.
If not now, when?

Comments

• Options
    lizzard_nyclizzard_nyc Registered Users Posts: 4,056 Major grins
    edited February 11, 2010
    I love it!iloveyou.gif
    Liz A.
    _________
  • Options
    DonRicklinDonRicklin Registered Users Posts: 5,551 Major grins
    edited February 11, 2010
    First spin looks good from my standpoint! thumb.gif

Don
    Don Ricklin - Gear: Canon EOS 5D Mark III, was Pentax K7
    'I was older then, I'm younger than that now' ....
    My Blog | Q+ | Moderator, Lightroom Forums | My Amateur Smugmug Stuff | My Blurb book Rust and Whimsy. More Rust , FaceBook
  • Options
    FlyingginaFlyinggina Registered Users Posts: 2,639 Major grins
    edited February 11, 2010
    Nicely put together, John. The simplicity of the layout is perfect for this project. Love the title.

I'm really looking forward to this being the first of many volumes from the PJ forum. I love the idea of having some of my favorites from other photographers all in one place.

Virginia

Email
  • Options
    thoththoth Registered Users Posts: 1,085 Major grins
    edited February 11, 2010
    I think it looks great, Rutt.

The cover needs something, though. How about a triptych consisting of interesting "slices" of some of the photos inside the book? You could place the title on top, the subtitle on bottom in a smallish font and the triptych in the middle?
    Travis
  • Options
    QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited February 11, 2010
    on page 22 there might be typo on the guy's name..damon?

also caption error on page 50.
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com
  • Options
    edited February 11, 2010
    thoth wrote:
    I think it looks great, Rutt.

The cover needs something, though. How about a triptych consisting of interesting "slices" of some of the photos inside the book? You could place the title on top, the subtitle on bottom in a smallish font and the triptych in the middle?

Good idea. Triptych examples solicited.

I knew that just using the plain black Avant Garde against a white background was sort of a cop out. But I was having trouble deciding what else to do. Using Damon's portrait on the copyright page was a no-brainer, it makes everything around it look good. Maybe I'll try it on the cover as well.

I'm also thinking of writing a short introduction...
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    edited February 11, 2010
    rutt wrote:
    Good idea. Triptych examples solicited.

I knew that just using the plain black Avant Garde against a white background was sort of a cop out. But I was having trouble deciding what else to do. Using Damon's portrait on the copyright page was a no-brainer, it makes everything around it look good. Maybe I'll try it on the cover as well.

I'm also thinking of writing a short introduction...
    I'll see if I can work up an example from the gallery. This is going to hurt my artistic bone...
    Travis
  • Options
    edited February 11, 2010
    Qarik wrote:
    on page 22 there might be typo on the guy's name..damon?

also caption error on page 50.

Thanks! Now that's proofreading!
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    lizzard_nyclizzard_nyc Registered Users Posts: 4,056 Major grins
    edited February 11, 2010
    rutt wrote:
    Thanks! Now that's proofreading!

On Page 50 (I'm going from memory here) wasn't that the title of the old guy running up the hill and not the shot you have it on (The Agony of defeet)--and I want to say that's how he spelled it too--am I losing my marbles?
    Liz A.
    _________
  • Options
    edited February 11, 2010
    I'm thinking something like this. This was just done quickly with screen captures (since right-click is disable on the gallery). If anyone takes offense to me using their photos in this example please let me know and I'll get rid of it. thumb.gif

786226805_chTMz-L.jpg

Someone with access to the originals would have to work up the final copy, of course. Whatcha think?
    Travis
  • Options
    edited February 11, 2010
    And here's a titled version...

786240096_QSH76-O.jpg
    Travis
  • Options
    edited February 11, 2010
    Seems like a good idea, but maybe wee need a poll to choose the cover shots????

All B&W or mixed?

Don
    My Blog | Q+ | Moderator, Lightroom Forums | My Amateur Smugmug Stuff | My Blurb book Rust and Whimsy. More Rust , FaceBook
  • Options
    edited February 11, 2010
    DonRicklin wrote:
    Seems like a good idea, but maybe wee need a poll to choose the cover shots????

All B&W or mixed?

Don
    I think we can trust Rutt to pick a good sample for the cover shots. He is, after all, doing all the work to put this together. A poll would serve only to delay the cover creation for another 4 or 5 days.
    Travis
  • Options
    edited February 11, 2010
    thoth wrote:
    And here's a titled version...

786240096_QSH76-S.jpg

I like this. A lot. And not just because one of them is mine.
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    FlyingginaFlyinggina Registered Users Posts: 2,639 Major grins
    edited February 11, 2010
    rutt wrote:

+1

Virginia

Email
  • Options
    edited February 11, 2010
    rutt wrote:
    Great, glad to hear it! My shot selection was based upon some great shots as well as the considerable diversity between them. Of course, there are quite a few others just as deserving but I thought these worked well together.

The font is Myriad Pro and the font color is #343334. Personally, I'd love to see a color like this used for text throughout the book. It is much easier on the eyes on very white paper in my opinion.
    Travis
  • Options
    D'BuggsD'Buggs Registered Users Posts: 958 Major grins
    edited February 11, 2010
    Been out of tune with this forum.... Book looks WOWZERS!
  • Options
    edited February 11, 2010
    thoth wrote:
    Great, glad to hear it! My shot selection was based upon some great shots as well as the considerable diversity between them. Of course, there are quite a few others just as deserving but I thought these worked well together.

The font is Myriad Pro and the font color is #343334. Personally, I'd love to see a color like this used for text throughout the book. It is much easier on the eyes on very white paper in my opinion.

Let's take this very particular discussion of graphic design for the book to a separate thread so we don't bore potential proof readers and the like. I'll open a thread.
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    edited February 11, 2010
    On Page 50 (I'm going from memory here) wasn't that the title of the old guy running up the hill and not the shot you have it on (The Agony of defeet)--and I want to say that's how he spelled it too--am I losing my marbles?

Good catch. Thanks.
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    edited February 11, 2010
    Flyinggina wrote:
    The simplicity of the layout is perfect for this project.

I have no choice in the matter. I'm no graphic designer, so simplicity and consistency are my friends.
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    FlowermanFlowerman Registered Users Posts: 141 Major grins
    edited February 11, 2010
    Book
    Title for the old guy running up the street - The Agony of DeFeet
    Title for lovers - Amorous

I like the overall setup of the book. I hope the print quality is much improved - the early pages are horrible.
    I like the ideas put forth for the cover page - perhaps one color shot to liven it up.
    As to which photos to use for cover page - color or B/W or a mix - your choice - period.

ED Siciliano
  • Options
    WhatSheSawWhatSheSaw Registered Users Posts: 2,221 Major grins
    edited February 11, 2010
    Woohoo! Nice job, John! wings.gif

Of the proposed tryptych cover, I like the progression - young, busy, old - kind of like life. mwink.gif
  • Options
    edited February 12, 2010
    Just a thought, Rutt, but what would a "title page" for each photographer do for the book? As I look through it now there isn't much "muscle memory" telling me when I've moved to a new photographer. If you added a title, or bio, page each photographer would be granted 4 pages, or 2 spreads. That would up the ante with a nice clean presentation, I think. What would that do to the cost of the book?
    Travis
  • Options
    SyncopationSyncopation Registered Users Posts: 341 Major grins
    edited February 12, 2010
    15524779-Ti.gif

I think this is an excellent suggestion. My wishlist would be for each photographer's section to have a frontispiece with:

1. the photographer's name
    2. a brief bio
    3. a thumbnail of each of their shots in the order in which they appear
    Syncopation

The virtue of the camera is not the power it has to transform the photographer into an artist, but the impulse it gives him to keep on looking. - Brook Atkinson- 1951
  • Options
    edited February 12, 2010
    thoth wrote:
    Just a thought, Rutt, but what would a "title page" for each photographer do for the book? As I look through it now there isn't much "muscle memory" telling me when I've moved to a new photographer. If you added a title, or bio, page each photographer would be granted 4 pages, or 2 spreads. That would up the ante with a nice clean presentation, I think. What would that do to the cost of the book?

I thought of this, but decided that it would cost more, delay the book, and be more work. But I never did price it out. Let me do that . Also I ordered a proof copy of the first spin. Let me see where we are in terms of quality. Then we can discuss (and perhaps I can hand off to someone else to collect, edit, and add the bios.)
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    edited February 12, 2010
    rutt wrote:
    I thought of this, but decided that it would cost more, delay the book, and be more work. But I never did price it out. Let me do that . Also I ordered a proof copy of the first spin. Let me see where we are in terms of quality. Then we can discuss (and perhaps I can hand off to someone else to collect, edit, and add the bios.)
    Added Bio pages could be done by someone else and sent to you as PDFs to add to main book with thumbnail inclusions (if wanted).

My 2¢
    Don
  • Options
    edited February 12, 2010
    An extra page per photographer costs about $15 more. $75 vs $89. We are close to the edge of the $75 page limit.

Speaking of price, this is for a large landscape book. If we want to produce an economy version, we could make a small softcover landscape book for $28. Hardcover for $49. How many people would buy this and not the large landscape book? Add only $5 for the extra pages in small format.

Small: 10x8 inches
    Large: 13x11 inches

Hmm...
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    FlowermanFlowerman Registered Users Posts: 141 Major grins
    edited February 12, 2010
    2009 Book
    I would like to throw out one more item which I was thinking about since this project started. I know how much work goes into making up a book, having done it many times at Shutterfly and have been working for several months - on and off - on a small family cook book. There is so much to consider and the chance of a major error - if rushed - is very great.
    In light of this, I suggest that each person purchasing a book add a dollar or two to cover the cost of a book for Rutt as a small token of our appreciation for taking the ball and running with it for this project.

One last comment - the more complex we make the book - adding bios, etc. the greater the chance for error and conflict among contributors as to how much of a bio was included for each. - I STRONGLY suggest that full concentration be on QUALITY photo display. IMHO a coffee table book should be one where the viewer is wowed by the photos and not have to spend time reading about the photographer.
    ED
  • Options
    edited February 12, 2010
    All in all, the bios were much less important to me than the balance of the content. So, when facing an additional $15 per book simply to flip through it a little nicer I believe I'd opt out of my suggestion. If we were at $50 and added $15 I think we'd be o.k., but brining the price up to $90 will just take it out of more people's hands.
    Travis
  • Options
    SyncopationSyncopation Registered Users Posts: 341 Major grins
    edited February 12, 2010
    I'm happy to concede on the bio, I agree that its a lot of work and could drag the project out for a while longer.

What about the suggestion to have a frontispiece with just the photographer's name and three thumbnails below it - all the necessary info is there already for this. I really like the idea of having just the caption with each picture rather than name and caption. For me this would be worth the extra $.

That said I'm happy to go with the majority view..........
    Syncopation

The virtue of the camera is not the power it has to transform the photographer into an artist, but the impulse it gives him to keep on looking. - Brook Atkinson- 1951