Options

64 Bit ApertureToSmugMug Plugin

Comments

• Options
    aquaticvideographeraquaticvideographer Registered Users Posts: 278 Major grins
    edited February 17, 2010
    dlplumer wrote:
    Got it. Works Great. clap.gifclap.gifclap.gif
    Could you explain how you got it to switch to 64-bit? It's still telling me that Aperture has to restart in 32-bit mode to use it, even though I installed the 64-bit version (0.31) and restarted Aperture a couple of times.

Thanks!
  • Options
    dlplumerdlplumer Registered Users Posts: 8,081 Major grins
    edited February 17, 2010
    Could you explain how you got it to switch to 64-bit? It's still telling me that Aperture has to restart in 32-bit mode to use it, even though I installed the 64-bit version (0.31) and restarted Aperture a couple of times.

Thanks!

Go to:

users
    your name
    library
    application support
    aperture
    plugins
    export

Put the file in the export folder and re-boot.deal.gif

There are two libraries. You want the one I just called out under users.
  • Options
    aquaticvideographeraquaticvideographer Registered Users Posts: 278 Major grins
    edited February 17, 2010
    Thanks-it worked!
    dlplumer wrote:
    Got to:

users
    your name
    library
    application support
    aperture
    plugins
    export

Put the file in the export folder and re-boot.deal.gif

There are two libraries. You want the one I just called out under users.

Worked like a charm! Thanks for the help!thumb.gif
  • Options
    itiggemaitiggema Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited February 18, 2010
    ApertureToSmugMug Selling Prints
    I have been able to utilize the ApertureToSmugMug exporter fine with one exception. After exporting the photos and having them successfully being loaded into my SmugMug gallery I am unable to sell the prints. The gallery is setup properly for selling print because if I manually export the photos from Aperture 3.0 and then use the basic SmugMug importer the prints are able to be sold.

How do I setup the Aperture exporter to load prints that are able to be sold through SmugMug? I'd like to not have to do all the extra work if possible and just be able to use the exporter plug-in.
  • Options
    edited February 18, 2010
    itiggema wrote:
    I have been able to utilize the ApertureToSmugMug exporter fine with one exception. After exporting the photos and having them successfully being loaded into my SmugMug gallery I am unable to sell the prints. The gallery is setup properly for selling print because if I manually export the photos from Aperture 3.0 and then use the basic SmugMug importer the prints are able to be sold.

How do I setup the Aperture exporter to load prints that are able to be sold through SmugMug? I'd like to not have to do all the extra work if possible and just be able to use the exporter plug-in.

I have not encountered this problem, hmmmmm?
  • Options
    darkwolf777darkwolf777 Registered Users Posts: 12 Big grins
    edited February 22, 2010
    So I was previously using Lightroom with Jeffrey Friedl's export plugin, and I was wondering if it might be possible to tweak the Aperture plug-in to match in some areas?

The main thing is I use Headline, Caption, and Title (just duplicate the Headline field) IPTC fields, which works great for Flickr where there's a place for Title and Caption. But SmugMug only takes the Caption field.

With the Lightroom plugin, you could have it fill the SmugMug caption field on export by pulling data from the Title and Caption IPTC fields, and combining them into one.

I'd love to see that in the Aperture plugin :) Right now, I'm looking at having to manually copy & paste existing Headlines into my Caption fields, and that just doesn't seem fun. At all. I may look into an AppleScript or Automator workflow, to see if that's possible to automate.

The other thing that would be great, if at all possible, is to automatically tweak the compression if a resulting JPEG on export is larger than allowed for your subscription level. Or at least throw a warning/error to alert me to that failure, and which photo(s) failed.

I ran into a frustrating problem last night trying to SmuggLr a Project 365 set from Flickr, and it failed on 5 of the 348 images in the set. I started going through one by one, and found the first one. So I just uploaded it directly from Aperture. Refreshing my gallery on SmugMug showed nothing, logging out and back in same result. I checked the upload log in my control panel, and found out it failed the upload because the file size was too large (which is also why it was failing the import from Flickr). So I exported the picture to my hard drive, and was going to use MacDaddy to upload it, but checked the file size first. 16.6 megs. The RAW file is only 12 megs, and the exported Jpeg is 16.6?! What the hell? So I opened it up in preview and did a Save As, and set the compression to 98% instead of 100%, and it dropped to 6.3 megs. Only thing I can figure is it's a high ISO picture, but even that doesn't make much sense as I've got plenty of other high ISO shots that came over just fine.
  • Options
    fairyboatfairyboat Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited February 22, 2010
    Tiff only? (.31 Aperture 3 64-bit)
    It seems no matter what I do, Aperturetosmugmug exports as tiff. I've tried re-setting it in the dialog, but tasks still show it is trying to upload a tiff version of my image.

The last time I did a non-Aperturetosmugmug export, I did choose tiff, perhaps that is causing this to stick?

Smugmug doesn't seem to like tiff format, as none of my uploads are appearing in my gallery.

Any advice?
  • Options
    fairyboatfairyboat Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited February 22, 2010
    fairyboat wrote:
    It seems no matter what I do, Aperturetosmugmug exports as tiff. I've tried re-setting it in the dialog, but tasks still show it is trying to upload a tiff version of my image.

The last time I did a non-Aperturetosmugmug export, I did choose tiff, perhaps that is causing this to stick?

Smugmug doesn't seem to like tiff format, as none of my uploads are appearing in my gallery.

Any advice?

Ah! I should have tried that first. I re-exported a single picture locally and choose jpeg full size, and now the task manager is showing aperturetosmugmug is uploading a jpeg rather than a tiff. So it appears the aperturetosmugmug export dialog file format drop-down box settings are not being honored; it is exporting whatever was the last choose export type in Aperture itself.

...and I'm now seeing images in my gallery!
  • Options
    sscottysscotty Registered Users Posts: 12 Big grins
    edited March 1, 2010
    Is it just my install or are others missing some key fields?

I seem to be missing the following fields:
    - caption
    - keyword

My fields are:
    album
    version preset
    export name format
    custom name

Could someone let me know if you are able to add a caption and keyword in the aperturetosmugmug 0.31 exporter. . . If so, I wonder if there is a setting or preference that needs to be fixed. . .

Thanks,
    Steve
  • Options
    embassyembassy Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited March 4, 2010
    help on instaling plug in
    headscratch.gifHello-I am new to SmugMug and I would like to use my Aperture for file transfer but I am unable to figure it out. Any tutorials out there or step by step directions? I have downloaded the plug in but I'm stuck. Thank you
  • Options
    edited March 4, 2010
    embassy wrote:
    headscratch.gifHello-I am new to SmugMug and I would like to use my Aperture for file transfer but I am unable to figure it out. Any tutorials out there or step by step directions? I have downloaded the plug in but I'm stuck. Thank you

If you read this thread you will see where I have explained what to do with the plugin.deal.gif Good luck.thumb.gif
  • Options
    trgcfrgtrgcfrg Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited March 7, 2010
    Export updated photo to gallery
    Is there a way to export an updated photo (same file name - just the photo version name) to my SmugMug gallery and have it overwrite the original version of the same photo? Every time I try to do this the new photo is added. The only way I've found to replace a photo is to manually do this one at a time through the SmugMug website.

Thanks!
  • Options
    drrock77drrock77 Registered Users Posts: 3 Beginner grinner
    edited March 7, 2010
    Unable to login
    I just upgraded to Aperture 3.0.1 and now am unable to login in via the ApertureToSmugMug exporter. I get an "Error logging in" message.

I have successfully installed and used plugin v 0.31 before the upgrade.

Any thoughts?
  • Options
    edited March 7, 2010
    Login problems
    drrock77 wrote:
    I just upgraded to Aperture 3.0.1 and now am unable to login in via the ApertureToSmugMug exporter. I get an "Error logging in" message.

I have successfully installed and used plugin v 0.31 before the upgrade.

Any thoughts?
    Ok...so i removed the plugin and reinstalled it and am now able to login again. Weird, but working.

Nevermind.
  • Options
    goodlancegoodlance Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited March 9, 2010
    Same login problem
    drrock77 wrote:
    Ok...so i removed the plugin and reinstalled it and am now able to login again. Weird, but working.

Nevermind.

I removed and reinstalled .31 and still cannot log in. Any other ideas?
  • Options
    edited March 9, 2010
    My approach for login problem
    goodlance wrote:
    I removed and reinstalled .31 and still cannot log in. Any other ideas?

I ununstalled [deleted] the plugin, started Aperture, verified the removal, shutdown Aperture, re-installed and re-started Aperture.
  • Options
    goodlancegoodlance Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited March 9, 2010
    still no dice
    Tried all of that to no avail! headscratch.gif
    drrock77 wrote:
    I ununstalled [deleted] the plugin, started Aperture, verified the removal, shutdown Aperture, re-installed and re-started Aperture.
  • Options
    oboesaxoboesax Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited March 12, 2010
    Frustrating Bug
    fairyboat wrote:
    Ah! I should have tried that first. I re-exported a single picture locally and choose jpeg full size, and now the task manager is showing aperturetosmugmug is uploading a jpeg rather than a tiff. So it appears the aperturetosmugmug export dialog file format drop-down box settings are not being honored; it is exporting whatever was the last choose export type in Aperture itself.

...and I'm now seeing images in my gallery!

I second fairyboat. Using the latest version of Aperture 3 and the latest version of the plugin, the plugin does not honor the file format drop-down. Major kudos to fairyboat for figuring out what was going on. I couldn't figure out why even though I selected "jpeg original size" it kept showing up in smugmug as a 800x800 photo (originally 22Mpix). Now that I've exported a original size jpeg outside of the plugin, the plugin is exporting original size images.
  • Options
    peterparkerpeterparker Registered Users Posts: 89 Big grins
    edited March 16, 2010
    oboesax wrote:
    I second fairyboat. Using the latest version of Aperture 3 and the latest version of the plugin, the plugin does not honor the file format drop-down. Major kudos to fairyboat for figuring out what was going on. I couldn't figure out why even though I selected "jpeg original size" it kept showing up in smugmug as a 800x800 photo (originally 22Mpix). Now that I've exported a original size jpeg outside of the plugin, the plugin is exporting original size images.

Hi guys. This is a bug with Aperture 3. It has been filed and will hopefully be fixed in the next release.
  • Options
    bibosbibos Registered Users Posts: 18 Big grins
    edited March 23, 2010
    I have a feature request - it would be _GREAT_ if you could add the following two things to the ApertureToSmugMug exporter plugin:

1) concurrent multithreaded upload as follows:

* as soon as an image is "finished" (e.g. a finished jpg developed from the raw by aperture), start
    the upload of this image to smugmug (currently, as far as I understand it, the plugin waits for
    all of the images to be completely developed before it starts uploading)

* enable upload of MULTIPLE images at the SAME TIME using >1 connection. That way, connections
    with higher bandwidth can upload to SmugMug WAY more effectively. There are several smugmug
    uploader tools that already do this (make the max. parallel connections configurable) and it
    improves upload speeds DRAMATICALLY

2) Add the "Quick Settings" for galleries

* When I add a new gallery using the ApertureToSmugMug plugin, I cannot select my quick setting
    that would already define all the features I want to have for my new gallery. This is supported
    in the API as far as I know, so use it. It would make things so much easier!

I hope you consider adding these two features. Currently, even though I would LOVE to use the plugin, I usually fall back to exporting into a folder and using different tools to upload, cause its WAY faster in the end.
  • Options
    HKAussieHKAussie Registered Users Posts: 16 Big grins
    edited April 4, 2010
    Thank you David.
    I have donated to David for his work on the Aperture plugin. his work is greatly appreciated by this Aperture user, and I hope donations such as this enable him to continue to improve the plugin if and when appropriate. thumb.gif

if you too would like to support David's efforts, please click on the Donation button on the ApertureToSmugmug plugin page.

cheers,
    Gregory
    www.gregory.hk
  • Options
    peterparkerpeterparker Registered Users Posts: 89 Big grins
    edited April 5, 2010
    bibos wrote:
    I have a feature request - it would be _GREAT_ if you could add the following two things to the ApertureToSmugMug exporter plugin:

1) concurrent multithreaded upload as follows:

* as soon as an image is "finished" (e.g. a finished jpg developed from the raw by aperture), start
    the upload of this image to smugmug (currently, as far as I understand it, the plugin waits for
    all of the images to be completely developed before it starts uploading)

The Aperture API hands the images off to the plugin one at a time as they are finished generating. There is no waiting by the plugin.
    bibos wrote:
    * enable upload of MULTIPLE images at the SAME TIME using >1 connection. That way, connections
    with higher bandwidth can upload to SmugMug WAY more effectively. There are several smugmug
    uploader tools that already do this (make the max. parallel connections configurable) and it
    improves upload speeds DRAMATICALLY

Not likely anytime soon.
    bibos wrote:
    2) Add the "Quick Settings" for galleries

* When I add a new gallery using the ApertureToSmugMug plugin, I cannot select my quick setting
    that would already define all the features I want to have for my new gallery. This is supported
    in the API as far as I know, so use it. It would make things so much easier!

Given the chore of keeping up with all the new album options, I'd rather switch over to just giving the option of choosing a quick setting template. Not even displaying all the album options. But I'm not sure if most users use them, and I don't see a way to manage changes to quick settings at SM.
  • Options
    wmcywmcy Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited April 12, 2010
    64 Bit Aperture
    I have downloaded the Aperture 3/64 bit plugin and followed instructions on placing it in the appropriate folder. However, when I try to export to SmugMug, I only have the old option and SmugMug wants to convert to 32 bit. What am I doing wrong?

Thanks for your help.

Wm.

wmcy@mac.com
  • Options
    Kilted1Kilted1 Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited April 15, 2010
    wmcy wrote:
    I have downloaded the Aperture 3/64 bit plugin and followed instructions on placing it in the appropriate folder. However, when I try to export to SmugMug, I only have the old option and SmugMug wants to convert to 32 bit. What am I doing wrong?

Thanks for your help.

Wm.

wmcy@mac.com

Ditto please help :0)
  • Options
    sscottysscotty Registered Users Posts: 12 Big grins
    edited April 17, 2010
    Could someone please give me some feedback on this? When you export, can you add a caption or keyword?

Thanks!
    sscotty wrote:
    Is it just my install or are others missing some key fields?

I seem to be missing the following fields:
    - caption
    - keyword

My fields are:
    album
    version preset
    export name format
    custom name

Could someone let me know if you are able to add a caption and keyword in the aperturetosmugmug 0.31 exporter. . . If so, I wonder if there is a setting or preference that needs to be fixed. . .

Thanks,
    Steve
  • Options
    CosmicVoyagerCosmicVoyager Registered Users Posts: 34 Big grins
    edited May 13, 2010
    Possible fix for "Error logging in"
    After many months, I've finally been able to track down why my ApertureToSmugmug plugin would always get "Error logging in". I reverted my SmugMug login to a previous password, and now the plugin would be able to log in. The only difference seems to be that the error-causing password had a non-alphanumeric character in it, while my previous one had none. So this is an issue with the code which could [probably] be fixed quickly.

Hope this helps others who may have had this problem.
  • Options
    tonyallen88tonyallen88 Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited June 15, 2010
    Same install problem
    Kilted1 wrote: »
    Ditto please help :0)
    wmcy wrote: »

Thanks for your help.

Wm.

wmcy@mac.com

Any help here yet? I'm in the same boat. Thanks!
  • Options
    tonyallen88tonyallen88 Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited June 17, 2010
    Any help here yet? I'm in the same boat. Thanks!

Got it! David Holmes helped me locate my old 32-bit uploader. I didn't know that there is a "Root" Library and a User/Library. Go to your username in "Places" and find the Library there. You should be able to follow the instructions and find the old 32-bit uploader in an Export Folder. Then put the new 64-bit uploader in that folder. I also deleted the "Export" folder that I had created in the "root" library. And everything works. Hope this makes sense.
  • Options
    smiley67smiley67 Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited July 5, 2010
    can't set up new folder in Library
    Finder option for New Folder is greyed out - I can't create the folder "Export" in which to place the plug-in. What am I missing?
  • Options
    smiley67smiley67 Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited July 5, 2010
    found work around to set up Library folder
    I was able to create a new empty folder in the root directory and then drag it into the Library/Application Support/Aperture/Plug-Ins folder. I was asked to authenticate - no problem - and the file was created. (I hope it's ok that way...)