Options

Show us your business Card!

Comments

• Options
    denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,247 moderator
    edited August 27, 2010
    I will definitely look into a domain. In doing this, would I need to reformat my entire website?
    No reformating - you just need to set up your site for a custom domain. Help page at http://www.smugmug.com/help/professional-accounts.

--- Denise
  • Options
    Crystal EveCrystal Eve Registered Users Posts: 46 Big grins
    edited August 27, 2010
    No reformating - you just need to set up your site for a custom domain. Help page at http://www.smugmug.com/help/professional-accounts.

--- Denise

Wonderful! Thank you!
    Boudoir | Wedding | Portrait | Automotive

Website | Facebook | Email
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,913 moderator
    edited August 27, 2010
    Hi Crystal, looks like Denise pointed you in the right direction!
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    AngeloAngelo Super Moderators Posts: 8,937 moderator
    edited August 27, 2010
  • Options
    indiegirlindiegirl Registered Users Posts: 930 Major grins
    edited September 1, 2010
    Need Logo Help, Please!
    I thought I had something I liked, but both my husband and friend-with-good-taste said they thought this looked too much like a "splat" next to my name:

990840805_CckGy-M.jpg

But I really like this:

990843976_q6UaB-M.jpg

Give it to me straight. What do you think? (obviously, ignore the white space--that's just my canvas)
  • Options
    SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited September 1, 2010
    It doesn't do or say anything to me. ne_nau.gif

Sam
  • Options
    mpauliempaulie Registered Users Posts: 303 Major grins
    edited September 1, 2010
    At first look it reminded me of the walmart logo. I do like the typography of the first one though.

walmart_logo.gif
  • Options
    edited September 1, 2010
    omg. NOT WALMART. Anything but Walmart.

I'm going to need to rethink this. Thanks so much, Sam and Michael
  • Options
    edited September 1, 2010
    #1 without the "splat" would be a #1 choice for me.
  • Options
    edited September 1, 2010
    991061610_jVRc4-S.jpg

Any better?
  • Options
    Dan7312Dan7312 Registered Users Posts: 1,330 Major grins
    edited September 1, 2010
    The splat looks like an asterisk, which makes me want to go and find the footnote. But if you took the second one, pulled your first and last names closer togther, tilted the splat (i.e. make height less than the width so it looks like it is on edge and flying, like a saucer:D) and put the splat behind the text, it might be more interesting.
    indiegirl wrote: »
    I thought I had something I liked, but both my husband and friend-with-good-taste said they thought this looked too much like a "splat" next to my name:

But I really like this:

Give it to me straight. What do you think? (obviously, ignore the white space--that's just my canvas)
  • Options
    Dan7312Dan7312 Registered Users Posts: 1,330 Major grins
    edited September 1, 2010
    This is certainly just me, but it seems like the letters in your first name should be squeeze closer together... they seem disconnected from each other. Even the letters in the last name could be closer together. Look at how the letters in the Walmart logo seem to connect to each other. IMHO of course.
    991061610_jVRc4-S.jpg

Any better?
  • Options
    chrisjohnsonchrisjohnson Registered Users Posts: 771 Major grins
    edited September 2, 2010
    I think your name is too long for use as a logo. You need to use a logo all over the place, often square, often in few kb.

The splat plus a JM would be more like it - although I'm struggling to imagine how this might be expressed.
  • Options
    BradfordBennBradfordBenn Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited September 2, 2010
    I think one of the challenges is where are you going to use your logo and at what size. The company I work for has four different logos - they are all related and have the same anchor icon but depending on size and usage we vary it slightly. So while your current idea looks promising it might not be as productive on an envelope. So if you are looking for one logo for all, I would recommend something that works in both monochrome as multicolor. Also you might want varying levels of detail depending on how large it is used. I do agree getting rid of the "splat" is good. However the brackets make the photography almost seem secondary to the logo to me.
    -=Bradford

Pictures | Website | Blog | Twitter | Contact
  • Options
    edited September 3, 2010
    Your comments have made a mark. I suspected my name was just too long. I do have a square JM+splat thing but at the end of the day, it comes down to what I'm trying to convey. My name, although certainly genius-inspiring and entirely amazing on its own, might not have the desired effect ;)
  • Options
    edited September 3, 2010
    Also: my middle name is Star and I have both a desire to embrace it with my company name and an aversion to cliche.
  • Options
    edited September 3, 2010
    Another also: my tagline is "Life. Photographed." I'm playing around with the idea of incorporating it into the mix.
  • Options
    edited September 3, 2010
    I think your name is too long for use as a logo...

gee, I wonder if Annie Leibovitz and Robert Trachtenberg have the same problem? headscratch.gif

• Options
    RogersDARogersDA Registered Users Posts: 3,502 Major grins
    edited September 3, 2010
    Another also: my tagline is "Life. Photographed." I'm playing around with the idea of incorporating it into the mix.

Just played around a tad.

993252174_hHEm8-O.png
  • Options
    edited September 3, 2010
    RogersDA wrote: »
    Just played around a tad.

993252174_hHEm8-O.png

kickass! Thanks for playing. I like that on a lot of levels, especially the placement of "life. photographed."

You know, this whole thread got me thinking about some elements to my work that are most important to me. I'm a third-gen photog in my family and some sort of homage to my roots is important. Using my married name takes away from that connection (If I had it to do again, I would have kept my maiden name--sorry, hubs). In my family, my aunts were all "Gardner Girls" and in my town, I've been stopped by folks asking if I was related to the "Gardner girls."

The more I think about it, the more I like using Gardner Girl Photography instead of my name for the biz. Thoughts?
  • Options
    edited September 3, 2010
    I'm loving the lowercase 'g' in the words. I feel like I can do a lot graphically with the names if I choose to go that route.

993333036_bNd4E-M.jpg
  • Options
    RogersDARogersDA Registered Users Posts: 3,502 Major grins
    edited September 4, 2010
    I think your idea is good, but your presentation of it looks loosely contrived and disjointed.
    I'm loving the lowercase 'g' in the words. I feel like I can do a lot graphically with the names if I choose to go that route.

993333036_bNd4E-M.jpg
  • Options
    TrackerTracker Registered Users Posts: 155 Major grins
    edited September 4, 2010

993333036_bNd4E-M.jpg

I like the basic concept. The example seems a little long. Might play around with it some.
    Here's one idea. (disclaimer: what I know about graphic arts could fit on the head of a pin.)
  • Options
    SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited September 4, 2010
    OK...my thoughts.................

gardner girl sounds like a landscaping company. While it may have some local recognition and appeal, I don't think it will help you with a larger audience.

Company names and logos have to be one of the hardest, time / emotion / angst consuming part of starting your own business.

A company name and a company logo can be totaly seperate or combined.

The logo doesn't even have to make any sense or connection. IE: What does an apple with a bite out of it have to do with computers and high tech devices?

As hard as this seems, this is a process that should not be rushed. Don't focus on this with a deadline. Work on it, ask for input, put it away, sleep on it (many nights) revisit, repeat at a non pressured pace until done.

The concept can take but an instant, or an eternity.The fleshing out much longer than an instant, shorter than an eternity.

As hard as it might seem creative thought works better without pressure and deadlines.

Sam
  • Options
    edited September 6, 2010

993333036_bNd4E-M.jpg

You obviously love typography. This has become challenging in this era of web safe fonts and smart phones. You can turn it into a GIF but it should not clash with the fonts you use for the body. (I like your web site because the typography is so clean).

I was thinking of an image comprising two intertwined g's under some stars with your tag underneath. This would be very personal and tell a good story to people who know you.

I like the Gardner Girl idea myself, although I can imagine it might not sound the same when you are old and grey and still running a photo business - a good logo lasts a long time.
  • Options
    tropicotropico Registered Users Posts: 225 Major grins
    edited September 14, 2010
    My new logo
    I got my new logo yesterday, and I have to admit I really love it! wings.gif

What do you guys think?

1006237575_eMJe5-L.jpg
    http://www.monicagarrett.com

Canon 5D MARK II, Canon EOS 450D
    Canon 24-70mm f/2.8L, Canon 18-55mm
    Canon 50mm 1.8, Canon 75-300mm, Tokina 10-24mm, Sigma 18-200mm
  • Options
    tropico wrote: »
    I got my new logo yesterday, and I have to admit I really love it! wings.gif

You loving it is important and I am glad for you.

A lot of this is personal taste but for me there are three things I don't like.
    1) It is not a logo. In these days of smartphones your logo needs to be snappy and two syllables. A logo is your shorthand for "Me again"
    2) The typography clashes. You have combined flowery and romantic with rugged and pragmatic, then something else is thrown in to make a muddle. Maybe it is just me because I grew up with the printed word, but mixing fonts like this jars.
    3) And then there is the blue bird sitting on a twig - I hope this adds to the story but I don't see how - there is no connection to your gallery themes.

Sorry to be unenthusiastic. I hope you want an honest reaction. Feel free to ignore me - many people do.
  • Options
    tropicotropico Registered Users Posts: 225 Major grins
    You loving it is important and I am glad for you.

A lot of this is personal taste but for me there are three things I don't like.
    1) It is not a logo. In these days of smartphones your logo needs to be snappy and two syllables. A logo is your shorthand for "Me again"
    2) The typography clashes. You have combined flowery and romantic with rugged and pragmatic, then something else is thrown in to make a muddle. Maybe it is just me because I grew up with the printed word, but mixing fonts like this jars.
    3) And then there is the blue bird sitting on a twig - I hope this adds to the story but I don't see how - there is no connection to your gallery themes.

Sorry to be unenthusiastic. I hope you want an honest reaction. Feel free to ignore me - many people do.

Yes, I love it, but thank you for your honest opinions.

I wanted something cute, and that is what I got! Maybe it is more appealing to woman?

Logo or not, I will use it on businesscards, flyers and also on my smugmug site.
    http://www.monicagarrett.com

Canon 5D MARK II, Canon EOS 450D
    Canon 24-70mm f/2.8L, Canon 18-55mm
    Canon 50mm 1.8, Canon 75-300mm, Tokina 10-24mm, Sigma 18-200mm
  • Options
    SurfdogSurfdog Registered Users Posts: 297 Major grins
    Sounds like you have your mind made up, but Christopher summed up my thoughts as well. The mixture of too many different fonts distract, rather than creating a concise brand.

Just my 2 pennies.
    http://www.dvivianphoto.com

Don't worry. I can fix you in photoshop.
  • Options
    Hikin' MikeHikin' Mike Registered Users Posts: 5,458 Major grins
    Surfdog wrote: »
    Sounds like you have your mind made up, but Christopher summed up my thoughts as well. The mixture of too many different fonts distract, rather than creating a concise brand.

Just my 2 pennies.

I agree too.