Options

Star*Explorer Thread

Comments

• Options
    NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited January 21, 2011
    New version 1.0.0.269, new Albums2 Pro package...
    Albums2 Pro Package (S*E Pro/Studio License required):
    • making albums public/private
    • set/remove password protection
    • apply/remove watermark
    • apply/remove printmark
    • adjust max allowed image size
    Albums2.jpg

Bugfixes (including upload cancellation)
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • Options
    edited April 21, 2011
    New version 1.0.0.275: cloud-compatible
    New direct-to-the-cloud SM API behavior revealed a 5 year old eek7.gif bug that was hiding in the heart of the S*E uploading engine ne_nau.gif. As a result any upload action was considered "failed", thus forcing the rest of S*E to repeat the uploads over and over. :cry
    It is fixed now, so S*E is back and even slightly faster, both due to the server's direct-to-the-cloud behavior and some further internal optimization.
    I apologize for the inconvenince it caused to a few good people.bowdown.gif
  • Options
    edited April 25, 2011
    New version 1.0.0.278: improved/fixed download
    • Video download bug fixed
    • S*E uses the actual URLs for downloads instead of constructing them
    • Redirection issue (a long time plague) is fixed, allowing graceful scaling down in case a higher-res image is not allowed.
    Get those new SM vertical Videos back! thumb.gif
  • Options
    jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited April 25, 2011
    Nikolai wrote: »
    • Video download bug fixed
    • S*E uses the actual URLs for downloads instead of constructing them
    • Redirection issue (a long time plague) is fixed, allowing graceful scaling down in case a higher-res image is not allowed.
    Get those new SM vertical Videos back! thumb.gif
    Smugmug had a couple minute outage today while I was near the end of a 127 photo upload. I saw SE gets some failures and do some retries. When SE finished, the result was that 4 images were left in the upload queue as unable to upload. After the Smugmug issue cleared, I hit upload to finish the upload queue. It seemed as if everything worked as it should and it certainly worked a lot better than any of the Smugmug uploaders would have.

On the other hand, my gallery did not end up clean. I don't know how much of this is an SE issue that you could protect against vs. purely a SM issue, but I'll describe what I ended up with and you can decide. In my gallery, I ended up with four images that were permanently stuck in the state of no thumbnail (they have some sort of uploading placeholder thumbnail). Hours later, they were still that way. And, I ended up with a couple duplicates. I manually deleted the stuck images and manually deleted a few duplicates (at least the ones I found).

So, the good news is that SE seemed to properly detect that it had issues uploading a few images and kept them in the upload queue for me to manually upload later. The bad news is that the gallery didn't end up clean after that. Do you think there are non-atomic upload issues at Smugmug that should be reported to SM where they stop with a partial upload and don't clean up after themselves? Any SE issues that should be cleaned up when connectivity to SM goes away?

For reference, at the time of the SM outage, a regular SM page access was generating 503. I don't know what the situation was on the upload endpoint, but it was clearly getting some sort of failure too as I could see that in the SE upload log.

I can send you my SE upload log if you want that. I should mention that I was running 1.0.0.275 which I believe is what I downloaded from your site yesterday.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question
  • Options
    edited April 25, 2011
    jfriend wrote: »
    Smugmug had a couple minute outage today while I was near the end of a 127 photo upload. I saw SE gets some failures and do some retries. When SE finished, the result was that 4 images were left in the upload queue as unable to upload. After the Smugmug issue cleared, I hit upload to finish the upload queue. It seemed as if everything worked as it should and it certainly worked a lot better than any of the Smugmug uploaders would have.

On the other hand, my gallery did not end up clean. I don't know how much of this is an SE issue that you could protect against vs. purely a SM issue, but I'll describe what I ended up with and you can decide. In my gallery, I ended up with four images that were permanently stuck in the state of no thumbnail (they have some sort of uploading placeholder thumbnail). Hours later, they were still that way. And, I ended up with a couple duplicates. I manually deleted the stuck images and manually deleted a few duplicates (at least the ones I found).

So, the good news is that SE seemed to properly detect that it had issues uploading a few images and kept them in the upload queue for me to manually upload later. The bad news is that the gallery didn't end up clean after that. Do you think there are non-atomic upload issues at Smugmug that should be reported to SM where they stop with a partial upload and don't clean up after themselves? Any SE issues that should be cleaned up when connectivity to SM goes away?

For reference, at the time of the SM outage, a regular SM page access was generating 503. I don't know what the situation was on the upload endpoint, but it was clearly getting some sort of failure too as I could see that in the SE upload log.

I can send you my SE upload log if you want that. I should mention that I was running 1.0.0.275 which I believe is what I downloaded from your site yesterday.

Hi John,
    a damn good question... I wish a had a similarly good answer...:-(
    I don't know how to detect outage, "stuck" images, etc. I can go nuts checking the internet connections, SM availability and error codes, but in the end none of this would give me a 100% certainty, just would make the decision making a nightmare.

From the very launch of S*E my approach was very simple:

If I get the image ID (and later, key) back - this image was delivered to SM server and my part is done. I cannot do anything afterwards anyway, as there is no API (and I honestly don't think it's needed).

Similarly, if I don't (a hiccup, an outage, tornado, tsunami, etc.) - I can either try immediately a few times more (configurable) or leave it in the queue. If I finished the batch and there is some files in the queue still, again, depending on the configuration I can try to run this (hopefully, smaller) batch again or leave it up to the user to decided what needs to be done.

Unfortunately, at this point I don't have a reliable info telling me if it was a true or false negative. Simple approaches (like getting the content of all the affected albums and try to match it to the noon-yet uploaded portion in hope of finding those that actually made it and removing them from the queue) are totally unreliable due to the also simple fact that it can take an absolutely non-predictable time until the image actually shows up in the album. Normally it's not such a big period, but we're not talking about normal circumstances. And when SM is busy... well, it's busy. I've seen queue times far longer than 10.20 minutes... Not often, but I don't get errors often either.

So it's kinda a catch 22. When the delivery channel is working as it should, the number of issues is minimal, and my purely "true-or-false", "black-or-white" logic works just fine, no need to make it any more complex.
    Yet when the situation becomes worse (power outage, weekend traffic jam, etc.) no feasible decision method can help, as the is no new immediately available data to make one.

I'll be happy to hear your or anybody's (hi devbobo! wave.gif) ideas how to get out of this "failed to receive the ID" conundrum without increasing the risk of creating duplicates.
    ear.gif
  • Options
    edited April 25, 2011
    Hi John,
    a damn good question... I wish a had a similarly good answer...:-(
    I don't know how to detect outage, "stuck" images, etc. I can go nuts checking the internet connections, SM availability and error codes, but in the end none of this would give me a 100% certainty, just would make the decision making a nightmare.

From the very launch of S*E my approach was very simple:

If I get the image ID (and later, key) back - this image was delivered to SM server and my part is done. I cannot do anything afterwards anyway, as there is no API (and I honestly don't think it's needed).

Similarly, if I don't (a hiccup, an outage, tornado, tsunami, etc.) - I can either try immediately a few times more (configurable) or leave it in the queue. If I finished the batch and there is some files in the queue still, again, depending on the configuration I can try to run this (hopefully, smaller) batch again or leave it up to the user to decided what needs to be done.

Unfortunately, at this point I don't have a reliable info telling me if it was a true or false negative. Simple approaches (like getting the content of all the affected albums and try to match it to the noon-yet uploaded portion in hope of finding those that actually made it and removing them from the queue) are totally unreliable due to the also simple fact that it can take an absolutely non-predictable time until the image actually shows up in the album. Normally it's not such a big period, but we're not talking about normal circumstances. And when SM is busy... well, it's busy. I've seen queue times far longer than 10.20 minutes... Not often, but I don't get errors often either.

So it's kinda a catch 22. When the delivery channel is working as it should, the number of issues is minimal, and my purely "true-or-false", "black-or-white" logic works just fine, no need to make it any more complex.
    Yet when the situation becomes worse (power outage, weekend traffic jam, etc.) no feasible decision method can help, as the is no new immediately available data to make one.

I'll be happy to hear your or anybody's (hi devbobo! wave.gif) ideas how to get out of this "failed to receive the ID" conundrum without increasing the risk of creating duplicates.
    ear.gif
    That sheds some useful light on what probably happened. It looks like Smugmug accepted some partial uploads that were interrupted by the outage and then left them in my gallery that way. That sounds like a bug on their part.

And, the connectivity issues probably prevented you from getting a couple image IDs on something that did successfully upload, thus it was left in the queue or retried resulting in a couple dups. I guess dups are better than erring the other way (missing images) so perhaps that's decent failure mode if nothing better can be done (I assume that was your logic). The only bad failure here would be if uploads were completely, but imageIDs were not being fetched as SE might upload a lot of dups if SM was failing in that way.

I'm sure this problem (reliable transfers that both sides can reliably know whether the full transfer completed or not) even when there are connectivity hiccups has been solved many times before. Too bad something more robust isn't being offered.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
  • Options
    edited April 25, 2011
    That sheds some useful light on what probably happened. It looks like Smugmug accepted some partial uploads that were interrupted by the outage and then left them in my gallery that way. That sounds like a bug on their part.

And, the connectivity issues probably prevented you from getting a couple image IDs on something that did successfully upload, thus it was left in the queue or retried resulting in a couple dups. I guess dups are better than erring the other way (missing images) so perhaps that's decent failure mode if nothing better can be done (I assume that was your logic). The only bad failure here would be if uploads were completely, but imageIDs were not being fetched as SE might upload a lot of dups if SM was failing in that way.

I'm sure this problem (reliable transfers that both sides can reliably know whether the full transfer completed or not) even when there are connectivity hiccups has been solved many times before. Too bad something more robust isn't being offered.

It has been solved numerous times, indeed. All the solutions I know essentially operate on a concept of "transaction".

It can be done in a multitude of ways, and the gist looks like follows:

* Client (S*E in this case) initiates a new transaction
    * Server (obviously, Smugmug) responds with a transaction ID and maybe some metadata
    * Client starts uploading (in one piece, or, even better, in multiple chunks - the latter should make uploading large videos a breeze), each time indicating a transaction ID, and, optionally, a chunk ID
    * Client indicates it's done uploading for this transaction
    * Now, at any moment (within reason and settings) Client can ask Server if the transaction X is complete. The obvious answers are:
    - No, still working - in this case Client would wait some time and will ask again.
    - Yes, here is result ID/KEY (or whatever else is needed),
    - Error: (unknown ID, missing chunk, corrupted data, invalid format, etc.)

This way it's foolproof. No matter what happens, both sides can reliably identify a subject (transaction id) and its status.

Practically, the only thing needed is that darn transaction ID to be sent back right away, as well as the ability to query against it. The image ID shall be only returned as a part of that query when transaction is complete.
    Of course, one can use the image id as the transaction id, return it immediately and then only return the key if it went OK. This way certain ids would never come to fruition and whether SM would like to have those unused ids - it's a design question.

Given my experience with transaction-aware databases, Amazon SQS, MSMQ and other "delivery guaranteed" methods, it looks like it *can* be done, especially considering the fact that SM already utilizes AWS.
    But whether it *will* be done - it's a whole different story.
  • Options
    edited April 28, 2011
    New version 1.0.0.281: fixed download
    Under certain scenarios originals were downloaded without an extention; X2Large were not downloaded at all.
    Fixed.
  • Options
    BradfordBennBradfordBenn Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited April 28, 2011
    Between speed boost and loading to the cloud, man is S*E fast. 205 images, ~365MB 9 min 33 sec
    -=Bradford

Pictures | Website | Blog | Twitter | Contact
  • Options
    edited April 28, 2011
    Between speed boost and loading to the cloud, man is S*E fast. 205 images, ~365MB 9 min 33 sec
    Thanks Brad! thumb.gif
    But you gotta get FIOS... mwink.gifrofl
  • Options
    edited April 28, 2011
    Thanks Brad! thumb.gif
    But you gotta get FIOS... mwink.gifrofl

Remember there are people around here who still have rotary phones - that is no hyperbole.
    -=Bradford

• Options
    edited April 28, 2011
    Remember there are people around here who still have rotary phones - that is no hyperbole.
    You're kidding, right? eek7.gif
  • Options
    edited April 29, 2011
    You're kidding, right? eek7.gif

No. One of the local attractions ... http://www.amishacres.com/

Yes, I chuckle that they have a Internet presence and free WiFi
    -=Bradford

• Options
    edited April 30, 2011
    No. One of the local attractions ... http://www.amishacres.com/

Yes, I chuckle that they have a Internet presence and free WiFi
    Free Wifi? Internet? Wow, I didn't know Amish communities are that advanced... Kinda goes against the whole "stuck in XVII century" approach...
  • Options
    Scott McLeod PhotoScott McLeod Photo Registered Users Posts: 77 Big grins
    edited June 20, 2011
    Does S*E do video uploads?
    WTB: 1GB and 512k CF cards.
    I have a need for a decent # of these smaller cards. If you have multiple cards that would be great. I am located at zip code 35243 & 35255.
  • Options
    edited June 20, 2011
    Does S*E do video uploads?
    It sure does. By default it may be configured to ignore videos, but it's up to you to modify the Options and allow whatever types you want. Just make sure they are SM compatible.
  • Options
    edited June 20, 2011
    It sure does. By default it may be configured to ignore videos, but it's up to you to modify the Options and allow whatever types you want. Just make sure they are SM compatible.

Ok that is what it was, I was selecting them but they were not showing up in upload queue. I have become frustrated with trying to upload some videos via smugmugs uploaders.
    I have a need for a decent # of these smaller cards. If you have multiple cards that would be great. I am located at zip code 35243 & 35255.
  • Options
    SamirDSamirD Registered Users Posts: 3,474 Major grins
    edited June 20, 2011
    I have become frustrated with trying to upload some videos via smugmugs uploaders.
    Remember that if a video is not processing correctly via SM's uploaders, it won't be any different with SE. SM currently has issues with certain type of videos, and it's been going on for weeks. ne_nau.gif

Now, if the problem you're having is crashing or something of that nature, try a different type of uploader. HTML5 always crashes for me while Simple works fine. ne_nau.gif I've heard that the flash one is pretty good too.
    Pictures and Videos of the Huntsville Car Scene: www.huntsvillecarscene.com
    Want faster uploading? Vote for FTP!
  • Options
    edited June 21, 2011
    SamirD wrote: »
    Remember that if a video is not processing correctly via SM's uploaders, it won't be any different with SE. SM currently has issues with certain type of videos, and it's been going on for weeks. ne_nau.gif

Now, if the problem you're having is crashing or something of that nature, try a different type of uploader. HTML5 always crashes for me while Simple works fine. ne_nau.gif I've heard that the flash one is pretty good too.

Not really crashing just slow and tons of fails. Do you know what types of files its having issues with. I am trying to upload all .mov files from Canon cams.

It does seem in the recent weeks to be video issues. Has SM said anything, or is it there usual default position of, "User error".
  • Options
    edited June 21, 2011
    Not really crashing just slow and tons of fails. Do you know what types of files its having issues with. I am trying to upload all .mov files from Canon cams.

It does seem in the recent weeks to be video issues. Has SM said anything, or is it there usual default position of, "User error".
    They've been having problems with some mpgs as well as audio codecs. It's interesting that movs are failing--that's what they keep telling me to convert to for success. rolleyes1.gif

Are these raw files from the cameras? Have they worked without issues in the past? As far as speed, what type of bandwidth do you have?
  • Options
    edited June 21, 2011
    These are files straight from the camera. I am very new to video, and don't have a reference point. I am on a fairly fast cable connection, like 20 down and 2 up.
  • Options
    edited June 21, 2011
    Can you change the quality settings in the camera in a way that affects the format? For example, SD vs HD, framerate, or the audio? Then we could experiment with uploading the different file types and see what works and what doesn't. Then we could pass this info onto the help desk.

With a 2Mb connection, you should be able to do about 1gb/hr if you're maxed out. Maxing out is the tough part since a single upload will rarely do it. So, realistically you have to look at 1gb/2-3hrs unless you're transferring multiple files simultaneously.
  • Options
    edited June 21, 2011
    They are 1080p and 720p vids.

I was initially trying SM uploaders and also mistakenly thought that Star Explorer didn't do video (it does, I just needed to change a setting to allow it to). I am now having much better success using Star Explorer. Yeah I am coming close to a 20 hour mark for a little under 20GBs of videos (221 clips) from a wedding. I have about 50GBs from the wedding total (3 seperate cams). Like I said I am new to the video side and I am learning.

Thanks for the info Samir.

I might have a little time to experiment with the settings while on vacation in Washington State but probably not. So I will be somewhat gone for about 3 weeks.
  • Options
    edited June 22, 2011
    They are 1080p and 720p vids.

I was initially trying SM uploaders and also mistakenly thought that Star Explorer didn't do video (it does, I just needed to change a setting to allow it to). I am now having much better success using Star Explorer. Yeah I am coming close to a 20 hour mark for a little under 20GBs of videos (221 clips) from a wedding. I have about 50GBs from the wedding total (3 seperate cams). Like I said I am new to the video side and I am learning....
    Glad to hear!
    I do hope SM will come with "chunked" upload at some point in the future, so if those last few Kb of a 500Mb video do not go through you don't have to redo the whole video and only redo that bad chunk...
  • Options
    edited June 22, 2011
    That's a lot of data. With your bandwidth, you'll be lucky to finish uploading in 50hrs. It's a big job to say the least. If you regularly plan on uploading this size of data, you need to upgrade your upload bandwidth, even if it means getting multiple 20m/2m connections.
  • Options
    agalliaagallia Registered Users Posts: 541 Major grins
    edited July 8, 2011
    Hello! Is anyone home at Star*Explorer? Been trying to contact via support email and Dgrin message with no response.
    Acadiana Al
    Smugmug: Bayou Oaks Studio
    Blog: Journey to the Light
    "Serendipity...the faculty of making happy, unexpected discoveries by accident." .... Horace Walpole, 1754 (perhaps that 'lucky shot' wasn't really luck at all!)
  • Options
    edited July 9, 2011
    agallia wrote: »
    Hello! Is anyone home at Star*Explorer? Been trying to contact via support email and Dgrin message with no response.
    Al,
    I was out in the Sierras for a few days with no connection whatsoever.
    There was (and still is) a warning on my website that no new licenses could be issued during that time...
    Truly sorry about that.
    Nikolai
  • Options
    edited July 9, 2011
    Al,
    There was (and still is) a warning on my website that no new licenses could be issued during that time...
    Truly sorry about that.
    Nikolai
    Perhaps an auto-responder on your support email might have been helpful. Small businesses have a hard time taking some vacation.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
  • Options
    edited July 9, 2011
    Perhaps an auto-responder on your support email might have been helpful. Small businesses have a hard time taking some vacation.
    Yeah, probably, thanks!thumb.gif
  • Options
    agalliaagallia Registered Users Posts: 541 Major grins
    edited July 9, 2011
    Al,
    Truly sorry about that.
    Nikolai

Thanks. All is well now.
    Acadiana Al
    Smugmug: Bayou Oaks Studio
    Blog: Journey to the Light
    "Serendipity...the faculty of making happy, unexpected discoveries by accident." .... Horace Walpole, 1754 (perhaps that 'lucky shot' wasn't really luck at all!)