Options

>> challenge 15 - comment and critiques thread <<

Comments

• Options
    dugmardugmar Registered Users Posts: 756 Major grins
    edited June 20, 2004
    Not much motion captured here, but one of my fav's... (Lotus Esprit V8 Turbo)

5322369-M.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 20, 2004
    A little more motion in these shots...

5324375-M.jpg

5324359-M.jpg

5322405-M.jpg

5322398-M.jpg

5324364-M.jpg
  • Options
    ruttrutt Registered Users Posts: 6,511 Major grins
    edited June 20, 2004
    Sandy wrote:
    The Gay Pride Parade in West Hollywood, are any of these worthy of the challenge?
    5320887-M.jpg

I liked all these shots, but this one is especially relevant.
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    edited June 20, 2004
    dugmar wrote:
    Not much motion captured here, but one of my fav's... (Lotus Esprit V8 Turbo)

5322369-M.jpg
    I see the motion. Maybe the car is actually stopped? But it looks like it is moving.
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    edited June 20, 2004
    rutt wrote:
    I see the motion. Maybe the car is actually stopped? But it looks like it is moving.
    It's going about 130 MPH. :)
  • Options
    SandySandy Registered Users Posts: 762 Major grins
    edited June 20, 2004
    Yep....he was really in step.
    rutt wrote:
    Sandy wrote:
    The Gay Pride Parade in West Hollywood, are any of these worthy of the challenge?
    5320887-M.jpg

I liked all these shots, but this one is especially relevant.
  • Options
    edited June 21, 2004
    Nice shot...the pace is a little slower there than here.
    ginger_55 wrote:
    The Action Shot of The Day from South Carolina

5334155-M.jpg

Island Action

by ginger
  • Options
    damonffdamonff Registered Users Posts: 1,894 Major grins
    edited June 21, 2004
    Thanks Sid.

And that doesn't even include the ones already submitted, like these beauties:

5272086-S.jpg
  • Options
    gubbsgubbs Registered Users Posts: 3,166 Major grins
    edited June 21, 2004
    Sack race
    Took this last week so it doesn't qualify......

5073301-L.jpg

Thanks for the previous comments Sid, Ginger and David, that was a lucky catch...
  • Options
    edited June 21, 2004
    It's nice to have a media/photo credential so you can get close to the action. deal.gif

-Doug
    5329635-M.jpg

5329636-M.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 21, 2004
    dugmar wrote:
    It's going about 130 MPH. :)
    I like this shot a lot. Maybe clone out the thing on the left margin? Any sharpness you can gain of the rear wheels will enhance the sense of speed.
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    SeeMoonSeeMoon Banned Posts: 355 Major grins
    edited June 21, 2004
    I just got back from Dubai and got this Starbucks shot..what do you think? The thing that bothers me is the chair on the right , but I could'nt just stand up and change angle because they did'nt like me taking their picture. Any comments?

5345556-L.jpg
  • Options
    ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
    edited June 21, 2004
    re Starbucks, etc, by Seemoon
    I really like that shot, didn't notice the chair, was too busy noticing the people, and the blur is good, don't usually like a person just coming in and blurring, but here I think you nailed it. I just wish I could see a coffee cup, smile. Could you put one in there? ginger
    After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.
  • Options
    edited June 21, 2004
    re violinist, still think the same..........
    Bryan wrote:
    I shot this at a wedding last night. Any good?
    And I know why. I did change my resolution from 1024 X 768 to 1152 X 864.
    (Will that help my printer from cutting the rt side off of everything, too?)

Anyway, on the violinist, I still have to scroll. Although everything is smaller. Oh for younger eyes, but so far it is not as small as a phone book, that would not be acceptable. And it does not appear distorted, also unacceptable.

I still like the violinist better smaller. The reason is that I, personally, would get rid of the extraneous stuff at the top, behind the violinist' head. When the photo appears smaller, to me, and I am not scrolling, I am not as aware of it, but even then, why keep it in there? I can't figure out that it is necessary as to the setting of the violinist. I would "black" it out, just so it blends in and the whole background is one color, in the case, I think, black.

That is my reasoning. I would advise all to check their resolution, smile, hope it helps me. But I still think the same on the photograph? Anyone think the stuff should stay?
    ginger
  • Options
    spocklingspockling Registered Users Posts: 369 Major grins
    edited June 21, 2004
    First Challenge Entry
    This is my first challenge entry, and although I know the water droplet thing has been done before, I would appreciate your comments. Thanks
    Movement.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 21, 2004
    Looks like an apparition is floating around the table. The chair doesn't bother me much. I really lkie the photo.

SeeMoon wrote:
    I just got back from Dubai and got this Starbucks shot..what do you think? The thing that bothers me is the chair on the right , but I could'nt just stand up and change angle because they did'nt like me taking their picture. Any comments?

5345556-L.jpg
  • Options
    AltProAltPro Registered Users Posts: 478 Major grins
    edited June 21, 2004
    Chair you see it, Chair you don't...
    SeeMoon wrote:

5345556-L.jpg

Just for you Simone, I spent a few minutes just to give you an idea of how it would look without the chair... Would require a bit more effort to get it just right, still it moves towards an image without the chair and lets you see which way you would prefer the photo.

Hope it helps answer your question... I had fun. And I really love the movement in the photo, the face of the gentleman sitting at the table, almost daring you to continue to photograph them. The Black & White is perfect, IMHO for this particular image. Color would not have had the impact at all. Really great, both with or without the chair! The preference is of course in the eye of the viewer.
    ginette
    5363110-L.jpg
    "In the End, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends."
  • Options
    edited June 21, 2004
    AltPro wrote:

Just for you Simone, I spent a few minutes just to give you an idea of how it would look without the chair... Would require a bit more effort to get it just right, still it moves towards an image without the chair and lets you see which way you would prefer the photo.

Hope it helps answer your question... I had fun. And I really love the movement in the photo, the face of the gentleman sitting at the table, almost daring you to continue to photograph them. The Black & White is perfect, IMHO for this particular image. Color would not have had the impact at all. Really great, both with or without the chair! The preference is of course in the eye of the viewer.
    ginette
    5363110-L.jpg

Thanks for your effort, Ginette! At first I was laughing and felt so bad at the same time because I was talking about the chair on the right! You had given it all that time..but looking at the picture you worked on made me realise it *was* the one on the left that had been bothering me; the blurry guy is the one who needs attention of the viewer, right? Merci bien!! I really like the result!

thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited June 21, 2004
    Molsondog wrote:
    ...and this was the last thing the audience saw of the dance:

Wow..I like this one! The color, for starters and the silhouette makes me wonder what this is all about. Who are these people, what's the story?
    Nice!
  • Options
    edited June 21, 2004
    ginger_55 wrote:
    I really like that shot, didn't notice the chair, was too busy noticing the people, and the blur is good, don't usually like a person just coming in and blurring, but here I think you nailed it. I just wish I could see a coffee cup, smile. Could you put one in there? ginger

Thanks for your comments Ginger! Apreciate it. I just got back from a flight so my brain's not up to too much PS challenges..but if I get that cup in I'll let you know! :D

I'm curious which tennisgirl it's going to be..
  • Options
    edited June 21, 2004
    Sandy wrote:
    Looks like an apparition is floating around the table. The chair doesn't bother me much. I really lkie the photo.

Thanks Sandy!
  • Options
    edited June 21, 2004
    SeeMoon wrote:
    Thanks for your effort, Ginette! At first I was laughing and felt so bad at the same time because I was talking about the chair on the right! You had given it all that time..but looking at the picture you worked on made me realise it *was* the one on the left that had been bothering me; the blurry guy is the one who needs attention of the viewer, right? Merci bien!! I really like the result!
    thumb.gif
    Simone, c'est typique. Two people look at something, hear a conversation about it, and still visualize completely different things! I never even thought of the "black chair" as an obstruction. It was just a part of the composition that felt right.
    Very etherial photo. I do like it very much.
    ginette
    "In the End, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends."
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited June 21, 2004
    Nice photchopping, Alt. nod.gif
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited June 21, 2004
    spockling wrote:
    This is my first challenge entry, and although I know the water droplet thing has been done before, I would appreciate your comments. Thanks

It's a nice pic, you caught the right moment. Lots of color artifacts in the shot. Not sure if you mean for them to be there or not. Did you have to "push" the exposure a lot, or zoom into the image?
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    edited June 21, 2004
    wxwax wrote:
    Nice photchopping, Alt. nod.gif
    Why Thank You, Sid...
    Thank You Very Much...mwink.gif

ginette
  • Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited June 21, 2004
    So little time...
    I've been spending all my waking hours trying to get my new house ready for move-in. Tiling bathrooms, digging trenches...leaves little time for my hobbies.

I did manage to take a break after a hard day's work on father's day to celebrate with dinner out with the kids, and took advantage of the day to get some pictures of them (they have to cooperate on father's day, right???).

Anyway, my main goal was just to get some nice shots of them, but while there, I played around with motion, and here's a few. They had so much fun wrestling with eachother, it really reminded me of my summers as a kid.

Horsing around

5351038-M.jpg

Flying

5349810-M.jpg

Happy Feet

5350448-M.jpg

There's more, but I think that'll do.
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    edited June 21, 2004
    re Happy Feet
    I like this one, particularly, ginger. Looks like it was a good Father's Day for all.

Happy Feet

5350448-M.jpg

There's more, but I think that'll do.[/QUOTE]
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,911 moderator
    edited June 22, 2004
    rutt wrote:
    Taken at the first same sex marriage in the First Unitarian Society of Newton church. It's a lot of social movement.
    Rutt,

This is, I think, the second time you've chosen a subject other than
    the "common" translation.

I like that it forces one to think about the subject matter and the context.

Nice!

Ian
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    edited June 22, 2004
    SeeMoon wrote:

It's nice shot. I think what would make it better is a wider field of view
    (to capture more of the scene).

I never thought Starbucks would have a location in Dubai. Thanks for opening
    my eyes to this part of the world!

Ian
  • Options
    edited June 22, 2004
    Molsondog wrote:
    After a great swirling modern dance exhibit, the dancers slowly brought it to an end...
    'doggie,

These are nice. Both of them.

How do you manage to shoot in a theater tho? I would think it was a big
    no-no.

ian