Options

SM footer link no longer hidden

12345679»

Comments

• Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited February 25, 2014
    mbonocore wrote: »
    Ok, don't say I never tried to help you with your own personal wish list.

Seriously. Bono, you have my patience x10.
  • Options
    BaldyBaldy Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 2,853 moderator
    edited February 25, 2014
    Andy wrote: »
    My comment was made to get you guys to SHOOT and not worry about stupid footer that just don't matter :) Your photos will carry the day, nothing in the footer matters one whit.
    From all the evidence I can find, the numbers are on Andy's side. I looked through our highest traffic sites who have SEO consultants or people on staff who do SEO and social media, and maybe I'm missing some, but I haven't found any who have removed the footer or are concerned about it.

Michael and I had lunch with a gone viral photographer yesterday who brought his social media guy with him, and we had the normal conversation about selling more prints, getting more exposure, etc. This is an everyday, many times a day conversation between us and our customers. But I don't remember any of them ever mentioning the footer.

I think they understand it to be a virtuous cycle, just as I understand it to be between our blog and Wordpress.
  • Options
    AperturePlusAperturePlus Registered Users Posts: 374 Major grins
    edited February 26, 2014
    I think that a fundamental point is being missed here... the footer is a sticking point for some (maybe even a deal-breaker), but to have the words "Photo Sharing By Smugmug" imposed on us, brought the whole thing to the fore.

Thankfully, this is now resolved.
  • Options
    LPCLPC Registered Users Posts: 481 Major grins
    edited February 26, 2014

It is indeed. We have had as clear a blessing as we are going to get from the man in charge that the 'Powered by Smugmug' footer is not obligatory, although we have to work out how to remove it ourselves, there is no on/off button but then again that is what CSS is for as there aren't on/off buttons for lots of things we have chosen to customize so it's not a problem. The scroll bar issue is only an issue if you decide to keep the footer so won't affect everyone either. Our sites are still instantly recognizable as SM sites even with no branding whatsoever but that's ok too.
  • Options
    BaldyBaldy Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 2,853 moderator
    edited February 26, 2014
    I think that a fundamental point is being missed here... the footer is a sticking point for some (maybe even a deal-breaker), but to have the words "Photo Sharing By Smugmug" imposed on us, brought the whole thing to the fore.

Yeah, sorry about the whole mess but I'm glad we could get past it. Thanks for staying with us.
  • Options
    CharlyCharly Registered Users Posts: 86 Big grins
    edited February 27, 2014
    Baldy wrote: »
    From all the evidence I can find, the numbers are on Andy's side. I looked through our highest traffic sites who have SEO consultants or people on staff who do SEO and social media, and maybe I'm missing some, but I haven't found any who have removed the footer or are concerned about it.

I know this is a mute point since I'm leaving sm this weekend, but curiosity has the best of me here. Can anyone explain what SEO stats, outside of gallery/image views, one can obtain here? I don't recollect ever seeing any way to see: where people are viewing from, how long they stay, what browser and device was used, etc. Or are they using an outside SEO.css within sm I was unaware of this past year?
    www.ImagerybyCharly.com | Serving the DFW area of Texas and beyond
  • Options
    tomoscotttomoscott Registered Users Posts: 92 Big grins
    edited February 27, 2014
    Charly wrote: »
    I know this is a mute point since I'm leaving sm this weekend, but curiosity has the best of me here. Can anyone explain what SEO stats, outside of gallery/image views, one can obtain here? I don't recollect ever seeing any way to see: where people are viewing from, how long they stay, what browser and device was used, etc. Or are they using an outside SEO.css within sm I was unaware of this past year?

I think the best stats you can get are from Google Analytics. You can see all that and more, depending on how you set your site up.
  • Options
    mbonocorembonocore Registered Users Posts: 2,299 Major grins
    edited February 27, 2014

I use a combination of Google Analytics and stat counter and it gives me every little piece of data I need.
  • Options
    CharlyCharly Registered Users Posts: 86 Big grins
    edited February 28, 2014
    Ah thanks guys for the clarification. With what was available in sm stats, I just couldn't see the need to hire someone. lol SEO was the last thing on my list, though I am using StatCounter on my other new site and setting up SEO parameters at the moment. Haven't tackled GA as of yet, but will at some point soon. Again many thanks.
    www.ImagerybyCharly.com | Serving the DFW area of Texas and beyond
  • Options
    mbonocorembonocore Registered Users Posts: 2,299 Major grins
    edited February 28, 2014
    Ah thanks guys for the clarification. With what was available in sm stats, I just couldn't see the need to hire someone. lol SEO was the last thing on my list, though I am using StatCounter on my other new site and setting up SEO parameters at the moment. Haven't tackled GA as of yet, but will at some point soon. Again many thanks.

Sure thing. These days, I actually prefer stat counter over GA
  • Options
    yaypieyaypie Registered Users Posts: 46 Big grins
    edited March 3, 2014
    I just deployed a fix for the issue where the footer caused a scrollbar and appeared in the middle of the page during loading on pages with "Fill Height" enabled. Enjoy!
  • Options
    phaserbeamphaserbeam Registered Users Posts: 452 Major grins
    edited March 3, 2014
    yaypie wrote: »
    I just deployed a fix for the issue where the footer caused a scrollbar and appeared in the middle of the page during loading on pages with "Fill Height" enabled. Enjoy!

How long does it take to rollout? I just checked my homepage and i still get that scrollbar so i will re-enable the workaround to get rid of the scrollbar.

Will that work for all pages or for homepage only? Because i have some pages with a slideshow only where i do also see the scrollbar while the footer is placed off-screen.
  • Options
    edited March 3, 2014
    phaserbeam wrote: »
    How long does it take to rollout? I just checked my homepage and i still get that scrollbar so i will re-enable the workaround to get rid of the scrollbar.

I'm not seeing a scrollbar on your homepage, but that may be because you're working around the issue. Any chance you could remove your workarounds so I can see what might be causing the problem? There's a lot of custom CSS there, so it's possible there are some unexpected interactions between styles that could cause an issue.
    Will that work for all pages or for homepage only? Because i have some pages with a slideshow only where i do also see the scrollbar while the footer is placed off-screen.

On that page, the slideshow's height is set to "Auto" so it expands to fill the available space, but it's not taking the footer into account. I'll file a bug on that, since it probably shouldn't push the footer down when "Fill Height" is enabled.
  • Options
    dennismullendennismullen Registered Users Posts: 709 Major grins
    edited March 3, 2014
    Slideshow auto height doen't consider footer
    On that page, the slideshow's height is set to "Auto" so it expands to fill the available space, but it's not taking the footer into account. I'll file a bug on that, since it probably shouldn't push the footer down when "Fill Height" is enabled.

This is the second oldest bug in the "SmugMug Active Bug List" from last August and it still isn't fixed!!!

http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=239912

Cheers,
    See my gallery at http://www.dennismullen.com
  • Options
    edited March 3, 2014
    This is the second oldest bug in the "SmugMug Active Bug List" from last August and it still isn't fixed!!!

Sounds like there was a miscommunication somewhere, because the engineer who owns the slideshow component wasn't aware of this bug. He's aware now.
  • Options
    edited March 3, 2014
    I'm not seeing a scrollbar on your homepage, but that may be because you're working around the issue. Any chance you could remove your workarounds so I can see what might be causing the problem?

I've commented out the CSS and the footer is back on screen but there is still a scrollbar. It does not scroll that much as before but if you scroll down you can see the footer scroll up some pixels. My copyright message is using position:fixed and does not move...

Tested with FF27.

EDIT: This also happens on my SmugMug galleries. The footer is there with lots of space above it and i get a scrollbar. You can check that here. See screenshot...

Thanks for keeping up with the slideshow issue.
  • Options
    edited March 4, 2014
    I've commented out the CSS and the footer is back on screen but there is still a scrollbar. It does not scroll that much as before but if you scroll down you can see the footer scroll up some pixels. My copyright message is using position:fixed and does not move...

Tested with FF27.

EDIT: This also happens on my SmugMug galleries. The footer is there with lots of space above it and i get a scrollbar. You can check that here. See screenshot...

Thanks! This was very helpful. I think I've identified the problem, and I'll work on getting it fixed.
  • Options
    brandofamilybrandofamily Registered Users Posts: 2,013 Major grins
    edited March 4, 2014
    Thanks! This was very helpful. I think I've identified the problem, and I'll work on getting it fixed.

I could get used to this deal where the SM tech replies to postsclap.gif. May be a thread called "Ask Yaypie" would be appropriate. Only if he agrees of course.bowdown.gif
  • Options
    edited March 4, 2014
    I could get used to this deal where the SM tech replies to postsclap.gif. May be a thread called "Ask Yaypie" would be appropriate. Only if he agrees of course.bowdown.gif

Ha! I'm certainly not the only engineer (there are lots of us now!), and I'm not even the only one who hangs out here, but I enjoy getting direct feedback and trying to improve things.

It can sometimes be a challenge to see SmugMug the same way a day-to-day user sees it since, as engineers, we spend so much time working on new features and big behind-the-scenes projects. Sometimes it's easy to miss the little annoyances that people feel strongly about, just because our attention is focused elsewhere.

And on a site as customizable as SmugMug, problems are sometimes very specific to unique use cases that have to do with a user's custom design, or a particular combination of customizations, or other situations that can be tricky to reproduce. Direct feedback and troubleshooting helps a lot in those cases.
  • Options
    brandofamilybrandofamily Registered Users Posts: 2,013 Major grins
    edited March 4, 2014
    Ha! I'm certainly not the only engineer (there are lots of us now!), and I'm not even the only one who hangs out here, but I enjoy getting direct feedback and trying to improve things.

It can sometimes be a challenge to see SmugMug the same way a day-to-day user sees it since, as engineers, we spend so much time working on new features and big behind-the-scenes projects. Sometimes it's easy to miss the little annoyances that people feel strongly about, just because our attention is focused elsewhere.

And on a site as customizable as SmugMug, problems are sometimes very specific to unique use cases that have to do with a user's custom design, or a particular combination of customizations, or other situations that can be tricky to reproduce. Direct feedback and troubleshooting helps a lot in those cases.

How would you and the other engineers feel about an ask the engineer thread? Would you all even have time to chime in? I REALLY think the SM users would appreciate it.
    The only issue I see would those who take it off topic or start to get hacked off at the replies. I guess the moderator would have to police it and delete posts that get heated.
  • Options
    edited March 4, 2014
    How would you and the other engineers feel about an ask the engineer thread? Would you all even have time to chime in? I REALLY think the SM users would appreciate it.
    The only issue I see would those who take it off topic or start to get hacked off at the replies. I guess the moderator would have to police it and delete posts that get heated.

I doubt *all* of us would have time to chime in (we tend to stay pretty busy), but I'm certainly game. I'm not sure if this forum is the right format for it though, given how linear it is. Something like a Reddit AMA where popular questions get upvoted and trolls get downvoted would probably be a better way to do it, although I doubt Reddit would be as interested in hearing from us as Dgrin would. :)
  • Options
    AllenAllen Registered Users Posts: 10,011 Major grins
    edited March 4, 2014
    ...And on a site as customizable as SmugMug, problems are sometimes very specific to unique use cases that have to do with a user's custom design, or a particular combination of customizations, or other situations that can be tricky to reproduce. Direct feedback and troubleshooting helps a lot in those cases.
    I'm been customizing Smugmug for about ten years and have helped thousands of others. The major
    thing that this NewSite removed from our use is CSS flow down. It's ridiculous that EVERY page
    has to be individually customized. Not one page carries the class name of its parent.
    http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=239444
    Al - Just a volunteer here having fun
    My Website index | My Blog
  • Options
    aschendelaschendel Registered Users Posts: 283 Major grins
    edited March 14, 2014
    That ^ would be a great change.

In other news, the SM Footer no longer causes a scrollbar at least on the browsers I've tested so far - thank you very much! It is nestled nicely at the bottom of "short" pages, just like it should be :)

Andy
  • Options
    edited March 14, 2014
    aschendel wrote: »
    In other news, the SM Footer no longer causes a scrollbar at least on the browsers I've tested so far - thank you very much! It is nestled nicely at the bottom of "short" pages, just like it should be :)

I have a "short" page where that happens only when logged-out, when logged in i still have to scroll down to see the footer.

I think this is because of the SM-Header with "UPLOAD ORGANIZE CUSTOMIZE"...
  • Options
    edited March 14, 2014
    I have a "short" page where that happens only when logged-out, when logged in i still have to scroll down to see the footer.

I think this is because of the SM-Header with "UPLOAD ORGANIZE CUSTOMIZE"...

Yeah, this is why I haven't reported here that this issue is fixed yet. I've fixed it for most cases, but something about your site in particular (and probably some other sites as well, although yours is the only example I'm aware of right now) causes the footer to be positioned incorrectly.

I put this on the back burner to work on some other improvements, but I'm hoping I'll be able to get to the bottom of it by simplifying the way the footer is positioned on fill-height pages.
  • Options
    edited March 14, 2014
    I put this on the back burner to work on some other improvements, but I'm hoping I'll be able to get to the bottom of it by simplifying the way the footer is positioned on fill-height pages.

no problem for me... :)