Options

Why Macs suck

1235»

Comments

• Options
    BodleyBodley Registered Users Posts: 766 Major grins
    edited March 2, 2006
    All you Mac haters out there better recognize. All your Smugmug photos & info are being stored on Apple servers, the creators all use Macs, and im willing to bet every other part of Smugmug was created on a Mac, so there.

Let that eat away at you tonight. Now, this thread has worn me out & I need to recharge. Nighty night.

P.S. Might as well go ahead and slap this on your SM page:

PoweredByMacOSX.gif

You Peed on the wrong side of that post! eek7.gif

You've given the other side fodder for when Smugmug/Dgrin is down rolleyes1.gif Seems like I see that post from time to time just check out the support forum. (I love Smugmug/Dgrin, obligatory statement I don't want the monkey's coming after me thumb.gif )
    Greg
    "Tis better keep your mouth shut and be thought of as an idiot than to open your mouth and remove all doubt"
  • Options
    JamesJWegJamesJWeg Registered Users Posts: 795 Major grins
    edited March 2, 2006
    I'm suprised tomcat doesn't have a whitepaper on that, let alone a tech that could walk you through the fix. As with anything I'm sure they have a way to fix it. It's just a programming error it could be fixed. And at that point with a district that size I would be running linux on the servers.

I've had the same problem happen on 2003 servers running exchange server but the problem there was caused when the companies previous tech setup the software wrong.

But either way at that point is a problem with the way the software interacts, which is a program with the way it was programmed. Problems can be fixed. Computers only do what they are told afterall....

The white paper fixes have failed and several of the 3rd party techs have remote to the box, looking at it daily. Yeah it is prolly a programing issue. FYI, at this district I am mosty Netware, and linux, but this app runs off sql and the company wanted windows.

James.
  • Options
    AngeloAngelo Super Moderators Posts: 8,937 moderator
    edited March 2, 2006
    I am bi-techsual. I use PC and Mac. At one of the companies I used to work for I was head PC and head Mac tech. They are both reliable, and they are both problematic. Neither is better, neither is worse. It is all about personal prefference. Hackers and virus writers are already focusing on macs and have been for years. Maybe not to the degree of PC's before but they are working on getting there. Hackers, script kiddies, and virus writers have focused on pc's, macs, linux boxes (rare but it has happened), cell phones, pda's, etc. No technology is safe, no technology is truly superior, no technology is secure.

Any argument you make one way can be aruged the other way. It's like nikon vs canon, chocolate vs vanilla, corona vs bud (bud sucks), vodka vs sake. Pick your flavor and run with it.

I really need to edit these for grammer and mis-spelled words before i post them :(

Finally! Something in this thread I can relate to and agree with. eek7.gif
  • Options
    ChrisJChrisJ Registered Users Posts: 2,164 Major grins
    edited March 2, 2006
    Here's an Ars Technica Review [arstechnica.com] of the MacBook Pro.

Interestingly... it has a performance comparision with a hacked Dell notebook running OS X. Mostly just for fun, since a lot of the drivers are less than optimal.
    Chris
  • Options
    NHBubbaNHBubba Registered Users Posts: 342 Major grins
    edited March 2, 2006
    However now the new Mac's based on a x86 (intel) platform will run any windows software (in theory I have yet to test it).
    What makes you say that? I'd love to see how OSX is going to run my MFC/Win32 apps natively.

I suggest you test that theory of yours. The op-code used may be the same, but none of the system or API calls are going to line up.

Emulators don't count. I'm not going to spend several grand on a new Mac w/ OSX only to run my software at 70%
    Pst, Guess what. You can even run Mac os's on a PC including OS X.
    Not legally!
    JamesJWeg wrote:
    Price and marketing is the only reason.
    You say that like price is not a big deal!
    macaddict wrote:
    Thread title: Why Mercedes Suck

"My Ford works just fine. Afterall, more people drive Fords than Mercedes, so Mercedes must suck!"

"Then why are Fords driven by soooo many more people than Mercedes?
    Ford must be doing something better than Mercedes.:D "
    Works for me.. then again I drive a Ford pickup.. why? Because of value. Prolly the same reason I drive a Windows box!
    marlof wrote:
    Mac OS X Kernel Panic:

58266952-M.jpg
    That's fantastic! Every software engineer's dream.. absoloutely zero information! How helpful..

Reminds me very much of those nifty round-bomb icons back in the OS 7-8 days..
  • Options
    edited March 2, 2006
    Andy wrote:
    :nono While I was away at PMA, Andy-wife sat at my Mac, never having used iTunes EVER and put 350 CDs into my iTunes collection
    Wow! She had some time on her hands huh? I didn't know PMA was that long..
  • Options
    dragon300zxdragon300zx Registered Users Posts: 2,575 Major grins
    edited March 2, 2006
    NHBubba wrote:
    What makes you say that? I'd love to see how OSX is going to run my MFC/Win32 apps natively.

I suggest you test that theory of yours. The op-code used may be the same, but none of the system or API calls are going to line up.

Emulators don't count. I'm not going to spend several grand on a new Mac w/ OSX only to run my software at 70%

Of course it's an emulator, virtual pc is the most popular, but it still works and it can still be done.
    Not legally!

who said it was legal. Simple fact is it can be done.
    Everyone Has A Photographic Memory. Some Just Do Not Have Film.
    www.zxstudios.com
    http://creativedragonstudios.smugmug.com
  • Options
    StevenVStevenV Registered Users Posts: 1,174 Major grins
    edited March 2, 2006
    NHBubba wrote:
    Of course not. The intelligent decision route goes something like this:

1. decide what you want the software to do.
    2. find software that will do it.
    3. find an OS & Hardware that will run that software.

Most people get it backwards. "Everyone in my company/my best friend uses ____*, so I'll buy that and force-fit my business and/or home computing needs into whatever it does."

If ____ runs 95% of the software that you need to meet your needs, and can also run the remaining 5% by using an emulator, great. (If it can do so without you having to jump through hoops to keep it secure and/or running smoothly, even better.)

* ____ might be Windows or Macintosh or Unix or VMS or Amiga or NeXT or Abaci for all I care
  • Options
    edited March 2, 2006
    theres nothing wrong with running an emulator, as long as you have everything setup properly the perfomance loss is not that noticable, and if it allows you to run everything you want to run no matter what system you are on why not. The simple fact is if you want to claim that it can't be done thats wrong. And if you want to claim that you have to buy mac to have a stable computer thats wrong.
    www.zxstudios.com
  • Options
    edited March 3, 2006
    who said it was legal. Simple fact is it can be done.
    This from the same forum who jumps all over regulars like Ginger when they even suggest that they might have once run or considered running pirated software!
  • Options
    edited March 3, 2006
    NHBubba wrote:
    This from the same forum who jumps all over regulars like Ginger when they even suggest that they might have once run or considered running pirated software!

Hey check who was jumping on her. Wasn't me.
    www.zxstudios.com
  • Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited March 3, 2006
    NHBubba wrote:
    That's fantastic! Every software engineer's dream.. absoloutely zero information! How helpful..

It's exactly the right amount of information for 99% of the user base. The other 1% can look in the syslog. And they don't need to be told.
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    Shay StephensShay Stephens Registered Users Posts: 3,165 Major grins
    edited March 3, 2006
    You wouldn't like me when I'm looney.
    DavidTO wrote:
    It's exactly the right amount of information for 99% of the user base.

And here lies a great truth. The user base who likes the mac interface and who like the windows interface or linux's gnome and kde is kind of the same. There are techies who like their ready access to info and tools (windows , kde) and there are those who like to be more insulated from it (mac ,gnome).

The people who like to be removed from the technobable will of course profess the superiority of their preferred platform just as those techies will pound their chest in favor of knobs and switches.

The nice thing is of course that we all have a choice in what we use. I know I would go looney if forced to use the mac. So for me having the option to use "something different" is a godsend :-)
    Creator of Dgrin's "Last Photographer Standing" contest
    "Failure is feedback. And feedback is the breakfast of champions." - fortune cookie
  • Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited March 8, 2006
    And here lies a great truth. The user base who likes the mac interface and who like the windows interface or linux's gnome and kde is kind of the same. There are techies who like their ready access to info and tools (windows , kde) and there are those who like to be more insulated from it (mac ,gnome).

The people who like to be removed from the technobable will of course profess the superiority of their preferred platform just as those techies will pound their chest in favor of knobs and switches.

The nice thing is of course that we all have a choice in what we use. I know I would go looney if forced to use the mac. So for me having the option to use "something different" is a godsend :-)

Shay, it's all there, and there's that nice texty terminal for you to work in. Heck, it's UNIX underneath.
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops