Has anyone been able to get a good rating in the search engines?

Malaxos1Malaxos1 Registered Users Posts: 149 Major grins
edited August 26, 2012 in Mind Your Own Business
I have spent almos a year trying to get my site recognized by the search engines. I am have a lot of trouble. If you do a search for Dean malaxos you will find me. However, if you do a search for Lakeland Florida wedding Photographer, you will never find me in a million years. What am I doing wrong, what did you do...Dean
Dean Malaxos Photography
Margaretville New York (Catskill Mnts)
www.deanmalaxos.com
deansphotos@hotmail.com

Comments

• devbobodevbobo Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,339 SmugMug Employee
    edited March 3, 2006
    Malaxos1 wrote:
    I have spent almos a year trying to get my site recognized by the search engines. I am have a lot of trouble. If you do a search for Dean malaxos you will find me. However, if you do a search for Lakeland Florida wedding Photographer, you will never find me in a million years. What am I doing wrong, what did you do...Dean

Dean,

you might want to have a look at gus's posting history, he had a few posts about 2-4 weeks ago about this subject. He had one gallery ranking really well and another one not so good, but the not so good one ended up ranking highly on google.

Hope this helps,

David
    David Parry
    SmugMug API Developer
    My Photos
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited March 4, 2006
    Keywording, keywording, keywording.

Try "hudson river photographer" in google.

I'm also doing an experiment, just added some new keywords, we'll see what happens in a couple weeks, maybe a month - give me a shout..
  • gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited March 4, 2006
    I get excellent results...i could not ask for better thumb.gif

I was a washed up wedding photographer with a torn coat.. bad breath & holes in my shoes until andy introduced me to networking with keywords. Now i drive a 7 series & own several department stores.

Keywords in your album titles particularly & also your photos is where its at Malaxos1

thumb.gif
  • Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited March 4, 2006
    eek7.gif Wow google know me eek7.gif
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • Malaxos1Malaxos1 Registered Users Posts: 149 Major grins
    edited March 4, 2006
    Andy wrote:
    Keywording, keywording, keywording.

Try "hudson river photographer" in google.

I'm also doing an experiment, just added some new keywords, we'll see what happens in a couple weeks, maybe a month - give me a shout..

Very good andy. I saw you were #2. I did a search for Hudson Ny photographer and didn't find your site though. I need to work this out...Dean
    Dean Malaxos Photography
    www.deanmalaxos.com
    deansphotos@hotmail.com
    edited March 4, 2006
    Malaxos1 wrote:
    Very good andy. I saw you were #2. I did a search for Hudson Ny photographer and didn't find your site though. I need to work this out...Dean

Hudson, NY is a town about 120 miles up the river from me :D
    edited March 4, 2006
    Question by PM
    I can't do questions by private message. Everything in the forum please, so that an answer from one can benefit many....
    malaxos1 wrote:
    I need a little help with keywords. I was told me that I should not repeat words, he said that they will get flagged by the search engines.

I put these keywords into my albums description "florida, central, lakeland, orlando, brandon, tampa, st petersberg, hillsboro florida, wedding, polk, photographer, hillsboro, senior, portrait, landscapes, bradenton, ybor, mulberry, City, plant, winter,heaven"

Is it OK to cut and paste this into the keywords area for each photo? Will I be over doing it? I need to understand this a little better. Thanks...Dean

I keyword the heck out of all my photos that I want searchable. So my answer, is yeah, put those words in your photos.
    edited March 4, 2006
    Andy wrote:
    I can't do questions by private message. Everything in the forum please, so that an answer from one can benefit many....

I keyword the heck out of all my photos that I want searchable. So my answer, is yeah, put those words in your photos.

That's fine, I just want to make sure that you saw it. Too often I will post an update or new question in the same thread and it goes un noticed. So when in NY are you from? I moved to Portland from NY almost five years ago. I was born in Brooklyn and moved to the Catskills in 1987...Dean
    Dean Malaxos Photography
    www.deanmalaxos.com
    deansphotos@hotmail.com
    edited March 7, 2006
    Why would digigrin make it into the search engines and not...
    When I do a search for lakeland florida wedding photographer one of my threads that I started (serious problem with my website) makes it onto the 1st or second page in the search engine, but not dean malaxos photography. It is still nowhere to be found. My smugmug membership will expire in May, I have been trying for almost a year to get recognized by the search engines. I would love for it to happen at least once :(:

Please remember I not talking about doing a search for dean malaxos photography or dean malaxos, you will get a page or two in every search engine. I am talking about doing a search for Lakeland Florida (or Brandon, Tampa, orland, etc...) and finding dean malaxos photography.
    Dean Malaxos Photography
    www.deanmalaxos.com
    deansphotos@hotmail.com
    edited March 7, 2006
    Malaxos1 wrote:
    When I do a search for lakeland florida wedding photographer one of my threads that I started (serious problem with my website) makes it onto the 1st or second page in the search engine, but not dean malaxos photography. It is still nowhere to be found. My smugmug membership will expire in May, I have been trying for almost a year to get recognized by the search engines. I would love for it to happen at least once :(:

Please remember I not talking about doing a search for dean malaxos photography or dean malaxos, you will get a page or two in every search engine. I am talking about doing a search for Lakeland Florida (or Brandon, Tampa, orland, etc...) and finding dean malaxos photography.

Dean - too many threads, and they are related - so I'm keeping your discussion organized by merging this latest post
    edited March 7, 2006
    Google search is not easy. There's some really good advice given in my pro tips thread (sticky thread in this forum)...
    edited March 7, 2006
    Malaxos1 wrote:
    When I do a search for lakeland florida wedding photographer one of my threads that I started (serious problem with my website) makes it onto the 1st or second page in the search engine

This is due to the high ranking that dgrin gets - lots of cross-links from other sites, etc.
    edited March 7, 2006
    Malaxos1 wrote:
    I would love for it to happen at least once :(:

Have you keyworded your public portfolio galleries? If so, how? Have you started a blog? Are you working on getting listed and linked by other websites?
    edited March 7, 2006
    Malaxos1 wrote:
    I would love for it to happen at least once :(:

I feel like you're not listening to the really good advice we've been giving you, Dean:

This gallery has NO keywords, you main pricing gallery.
    http://malaxos1.smugmug.com/gallery/1218504/1/57018627/Large

Then, this gallery, whoa - look at the keyword you entered:

"florida, central, lakeland, orlando, brandon, tampa, st petersberg, hillsboro florida, wedding, polk, photographer, hillsboro, senior, portrait, landscapes, bradenton, ybor, mulberry, city, plant, winter,heaven"

you can see your keywords here:
    http://malaxos1.smugmug.com/keyword/

It looks like this attachment. That's ONE KEYWORD that Nobody will ever enter.. and Google probably ignores it or something.
    edited March 7, 2006
    Here's our help page on how to enter keywords:

http://www.smugmug.com/help/keywords-tags

I suggest re-doing your keywords. Something like this:

wedding photography photographer lakeland florida "lakeland florida" "lakeland photographer" "lakeland wedding" polk hillsboro "lakeland senior portrait" etc etc
    edited March 7, 2006
    I'll already took a look at the help link and did what it said. As far as I can tell I have done everything that was suggested by members here as well. I have done the bulk keywords thing in all of my galleries and photos. I even put the keywords on my main page (looks tereble though). I have and continue to submit my listing to every engine I can find. I have not done a blog, I did creat a generic photography one and no one has added to it, so it is dead...Dean

Andy wrote:
    Here's our help page on how to enter keywords:

http://www.smugmug.com/help/keywords-tags

wedding photography photographer lakeland florida "lakeland florida" "lakeland photographer" "lakeland wedding" polk hillsboro "lakeland senior portrait" etc etc
    Dean Malaxos Photography
    www.deanmalaxos.com
    deansphotos@hotmail.com
    edited March 7, 2006
    Malaxos1 wrote:
    I'll already took a look at the help link and did what it said. As far as I can tell I have done everything that was suggested by members here as well. I have done the bulk keywords thing in all of my galleries and photos. I even put the keywords on my main page (looks tereble though). I have and continue to submit my listing to every engine I can find. I have not done a blog, I did creat a generic photography one and no one has added to it, so it is dead...Dean

wave.gif Hi Dean, please read my posts very carefully above. Re-read the help link VERY carefully. You've entered your keywords incorrectly in the one gallery I linked, and there are NO keywords in your pricing gallery.

BTW you do NOT need to have keywords showing on your homepage to have them work. You can also have keywords display hidden with CSS. They MUST be in public galleries, though.

They do work, I promise! We want you to succeed, Dean.
    http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=29390
    edited March 7, 2006
    I asked Mike Lane if this is how you post them, I posted them right into our IM conversation and he said yes. So, I pasted them right into the key words section of the galleries. Oh, I just went back and re read the keywords help and I don't see anything wrong...Dean
    Andy wrote:
    wave.gif Hi Dean, please read my posts very carefully above. Re-read the help link VERY carefully. You've entered your keywords incorrectly in the one gallery I linked, and there are NO keywords in your pricing gallery.

BTW you do NOT need to have keywords showing on your homepage to have them work. You can also have keywords display hidden with CSS. They MUST be in public galleries, though.

They do work, I promise! We want you to succeed, Dean.
    http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=29390
    Dean Malaxos Photography
    www.deanmalaxos.com
    deansphotos@hotmail.com
    edited March 7, 2006
    Malaxos1 wrote:
    I asked Mike Lane if this is how you post them, I posted them right into our IM conversation and he said yes. So, I pasted them right into the key words section of the galleries. Oh, I just went back and re read the keywords help and I don't see anything wrong...Dean

Dean: post #16, of mine, to you, just above...
    Andy wrote:

you have ALL of your keywords inside one set of quotes. Nowhere in our help section does it say that :D

Trust me on this, PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE re-read what I posted. And Dean: you have to put keywords in ALL your public galleries - why not make the best chance possible to be seen?

Nobody ever promised this was easy, it's hard work what we do as pros - but you do have to be thorough, and diligent. And avail yourself of all the great resources and help that's given. :D

I hope this helps. Please post more here if you need further help!

All the best,
    edited March 7, 2006
    Andy wrote:
    Dean: post #16, of mine, to you, just above...

you have ALL of your keywords inside one set of quotes. Nowhere in our help section does it say that :D

Trust me on this, PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE re-read what I posted. And Dean: you have to put keywords in ALL your public galleries - why not make the best chance possible to be seen?

Nobody ever promised this was easy, it's hard work what we do as pros - but you do have to be thorough, and diligent. And avail yourself of all the great resources and help that's given. :D

I hope this helps. Please post more here if you need further help!

All the best,

I know, I didn't put them in quotes and went back last night an expiremented. I cut what I had and put it back into the replace with box, without the quotes it aitomatically puts the quotes in there. I did it a few times to make sure it wasn'e, and sure enough the quotes go there without my doing it...Dean
    Dean Malaxos Photography
    www.deanmalaxos.com
    deansphotos@hotmail.com
    edited March 7, 2006
    Malaxos1 wrote:
    I know, I didn't put them in quotes and went back last night an expiremented. I cut what I had and put it back into the replace with box, without the quotes it aitomatically puts the quotes in there. I did it a few times to make sure it wasn'e, and sure enough the quotes go there without my doing it...Dean

I'm working now with my 6yr old on homework - but I'll get to your site in a little while and show you, exactly ...
    edited March 7, 2006
    Andy wrote:
    I'm working now with my 6yr old on homework - but I'll get to your site in a little while and show you, exactly ...

Cool, can we di am IM thing or something? I am checking and I cannot make the quotes go away unless I do each box seperately instead of the bulk keyword way...Dean
    Dean Malaxos Photography
    www.deanmalaxos.com
    deansphotos@hotmail.com
    edited March 7, 2006
    Malaxos1 wrote:

Dean here are your keywords in this gallery:
    http://malaxos1.smugmug.com/gallery/1167492

"florida, central, lakeland, orlando, brandon, tampa, st petersberg, hillsboro florida, wedding, polk, photographer, hillsboro, senior, portrait, landscapes, bradenton, ybor, mulberry, city, plant, winter,heaven"

make them like this:
    florida, central, lakeland, orlando, brandon, tampa, "st petersberg", "hillsboro florida", wedding, polk, photographer, hillsboro, senior, portrait, landscapes, bradenton, ybor, mulberry, city, plant, winter,heaven
    edited March 7, 2006
    Malaxos1 wrote:
    Cool, can we di am IM thing or something? I am checking and I cannot make the quotes go away unless I do each box seperately instead of the bulk keyword way...Dean

I'm sorry Dean - it's here on Dgrin is how we'll do this. Here are the steps:

1. go to this gallery http://malaxos1.smugmug.com/gallery/1167492
    2. go to photo tools>edit keywords bulk
    3. ADD EMPTY to all KEYWORDS, preview and SAVE
    4. go to photo tools>edit keywords bulk
    5. copy and paste my list above into the box, each word, then preview it
    6. click Preview
    7. click Save
    8. post here and I'll check how you did.

Can you see the difference between your keyword list and mine? ONLY multi-word keywords belong inside quotes. Like "bbq ribs" but not chateaubriand

OK?
  • bkiterbkiter Registered Users Posts: 3 Beginner grinner
    edited March 7, 2006
    Try overture.com
    or
    google ad words

and if you register thru yahoo.com , fill out the form for "local search"
    edited March 7, 2006
    Andy wrote:
    I'm sorry Dean - it's here on Dgrin is how we'll do this. Here are the steps:

1. go to this gallery http://malaxos1.smugmug.com/gallery/1167492
    2. go to photo tools>edit keywords bulk
    3. ADD EMPTY to all KEYWORDS, preview and SAVE
    4. go to photo tools>edit keywords bulk
    5. copy and paste my list above into the box, each word, then preview it
    6. click Preview
    7. click Save
    8. post here and I'll check how you did.

Can you see the difference between your keyword list and mine? ONLY multi-word keywords belong inside quotes. Like "bbq ribs" but not chateaubriand

OK?

Dean - how are you making out with the changes? ear.gif
    edited March 8, 2006
    The changes are going well, but ver time consuming. Like I mentioned earlier, if I put the keywords in the box for thw add keywords to all it puts the quotations in. What I found was that it workd if I remove the key words and then past the keywords (in the bulk area) in the box next to each photo individually.

Is there anything I should know about the photo captions? I don't have anything in most of them, will that matter?...Dean
    Dean Malaxos Photography
    www.deanmalaxos.com
    deansphotos@hotmail.com
    edited March 8, 2006
    Malaxos1 wrote:
    The changes are going well, but ver time consuming. Like I mentioned earlier, if I put the keywords in the box for thw add keywords to all it puts the quotations in. What I found was that it workd if I remove the key words and then past the keywords (in the bulk area) in the box next to each photo individually.

Is there anything I should know about the photo captions? I don't have anything in most of them, will that matter?...Dean

Captions are good, Dean.. why do anything half-way, right?
    edited March 8, 2006
    Andy wrote:
    Captions are good, Dean.. why do anything half-way, right?

OK, I did all of the keywords. It took six full hours to complete as I needed to copy and past the keywords into each box as not to get the quotation marks. Anyway, what did you have in mind for key words. I am thinking of making the unisversal. Any suggestions? Also, what else do I need to do?...Dean
    Dean Malaxos Photography
    www.deanmalaxos.com
    deansphotos@hotmail.com
    edited March 8, 2006
    Malaxos1 wrote:
    It took six full hours to complete

Dean, did you follow the step-by-step I gave you above,
    http://www.dgrin.com/showpost.php?p=263660&postcount=25

and the suggested keywords, from here:
    http://www.dgrin.com/showpost.php?p=263396&postcount=16

This should not take six hours :D I just did a gallery on my test site in about 2 mins.

How did you go about doing this? ear.gif I really want to help you, please re-read the step-by-step instructions that I've given...