Options

The Car Talk Thread

Comments

• Options
    marlinspikemarlinspike Registered Users Posts: 2,095 Major grins
    edited October 13, 2006
    DoctorIt wrote:
    rolleyes1.gif you are a nerd! what have I done, I've started a duct tape conversation! lol3.gif

Well...only the top grades of Duck tape will hold a broken radiator neck together, so it's good to know in advance that what you keep in your car is the good stuff.
  • Options
    ChrisJChrisJ Registered Users Posts: 2,164 Major grins
    edited October 13, 2006
    NHBubba wrote:

Me thinks I may be a multiple automobile owner by the end of the weekend! wings.gif

Congrats! You won't be sorry... my '95 just turned over 99k this week, Happiest 20k miles of my driving life.

Let me know how that exhaust conversion goes... I've been tempted by that. But I've rarely been squeezed by the trunk, it always fits more stuff than I thought possible!
    Chris
  • Options
    edited October 16, 2006
    Oh no! http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum/showpost.php?p=7674257&postcount=218
    Get one of the real BMWTIS CD's off ebay.
    And tell black paris to not feed the chickens friend chicken. Cows get mad cow when they eat cow, sheep get scrapey when they eat sheep, humans get I forget what but it's something like mad cow from eating humans, it can't be good to feed chicken to chickens (plus it's an abomination).
  • Options
    antriebantrieb Registered Users Posts: 285 Major grins
    edited October 17, 2006
    Oh no! http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum/showpost.php?p=7674257&postcount=218
    Get one of the real BMWTIS CD's off ebay.
    And tell black paris to not feed the chickens friend chicken. Cows get mad cow when they eat cow, sheep get scrapey when they eat sheep, humans get I forget what but it's something like mad cow from eating humans, it can't be good to feed chicken to chickens (plus it's an abomination).
    Yeah I bought a copy of TIS off ebay and it should be here this week. BAH this is getting frustrating!
    Photography runs in my blood :andy

http://zwilliams.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    NHBubbaNHBubba Registered Users Posts: 342 Major grins
    edited October 17, 2006
    ChrisJ wrote:
    Congrats! You won't be sorry... my '95 just turned over 99k this week, Happiest 20k miles of my driving life.
    Sadly it didn't happen.. I hadn't seen it in the daylight yet, only at dawn when I snuck over there before heading off to the 9-5. Wasn't in nearly as good shape as I had thought at first.. nor in as good shape as the guy reflected in his asking price. He wouldn't budge, so I passed.

Since you're a gen-1/NA owner (pre '98), lemme ask you: how do you think your Miata is on the highway. I've only ridden in one NA in recent memory and it was just fine at speed (70-80 MPH). Yet the '97 I drove the other night was real ratty! Lots of squeaks and funky wind noises and shudders at speed and.. Well just kinda miserable. My Miata driving friends are telling me that theirs are not this way and that it is a good thing I walked away.

At any rate, I'm off to look at a '99 at a dealer tonight.
    ChrisJ wrote:
    Let me know how that exhaust conversion goes... I've been tempted by that. But I've rarely been squeezed by the trunk, it always fits more stuff than I thought possible!
    I got a friend in Florida who did it on his GF's '90. I've been meaning to ask him for details and close-up photos. He said getting an exhaust guy do do the bending was no problem.. and it wasn't all that expensive. Hers needed exhaust work anyhow.
  • Options
    ChrisJChrisJ Registered Users Posts: 2,164 Major grins
    edited October 17, 2006
    NHBubba wrote:
    Since you're a gen-1/NA owner (pre '98), lemme ask you: how do you think your Miata is on the highway.
    I honestly don't drive it on the freeway a lot (only because my commute doesn't require it). But I have done road trips around CA and I've never had any weird noises/shutters. Top up or top down. If you get above 80, the noise/wind get a little intense with the top down. A wind deflector might help... I've found that just keeping the passenger window up, driver window down makes for the best driving experience at speed.

I would definitely recommend an amplifier/better speakers for highway driving. Of course, most Miatas have headrest speakers, mine is the only one that actually has detachable headrests (though the wiring is still in the seat).

My 1996 Saturn rattled and squeaked more when it was brand new than my 11 year-old Miata does now! Replaced the Saturn with an Acura TSX, which is by far the quietest car I've ever owned.
    NHBubba wrote:
    At any rate, I'm off to look at a '99 at a dealer tonight.
    Too bad... well, there are still a *lot* of nice NAs out there, the right one will come along. The NBs are okay, but I like the styling with pop-up headlights.
    Chris
  • Options
    edited October 17, 2006
    Just got a few new goodies for my car, even though it doesn't run yet eek7.gif

-New wheels: Origional BMW wheels from an e39. 17x8 "Style 5's"
    525ib.jpg

-2 cans of Calypso Red paint for my lowers

-Trunk lip spoiler

-Reiger front lip
    image_7950_big.jpg

wings.gif

• Options
    edited October 17, 2006
    I thought you took the pinstripping off?
  • Options
    edited October 17, 2006
    I thought you took the pinstripping off?
    I did. Just so happens the first pic I find with those wheels is a Calypso. That is a 1995 525iA

• Options
    edited October 17, 2006
    antrieb wrote:
    I did. Just so happens the first pic I find with those wheels is a Calypso.
    Oh, ha, I thought that was your car....anyways, get a full set of aero stuff...matching aero FTW non-matching aero FTPoorAerodynamicsAtHighSpeeds

My cars in ATL..

I got a ride in that 6 liter 32valve 560SEL I linked to. It was pretty insane, killed a Boxster (I think a Boxster S I wasn't sure)
  • Options
    SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
    edited October 17, 2006
    This is my baby...

IMG_0007%20M3.jpg&

2002 with a few minor changes.
  • Options
    edited October 17, 2006
    truth wrote:
    This is my baby...

2002 with a few minor changes.
    Great looking M, truth. Are you on bimmerforums?

• Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited October 17, 2006
    That trunk lip spoiler should really help the handling in corners.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    cletuscletus Registered Users Posts: 1,930 Major grins
    edited October 17, 2006
    wxwax wrote:

:haha
  • Options
    edited October 18, 2006
    wxwax wrote:
    It's for the looks. The Racind dynamics 28mm sway bars, H&R sport springs, and Bilstein sport shocks keep it on the road... hopefully

• Options
    edited October 18, 2006
    antrieb wrote:
    It's for the looks. The Racind dynamics 28mm sway bars, H&R sport springs, and Bilstein sport shocks keep it on the road... hopefully
    H&R SPORT FTW!!!!! (that's what's going in on my car, though Bilstein HD shocks since they don't make Sports for my car, just comfort and HD). Though...MB springs are different from other cars, even with the car off the ground they are under immense amounts of tension.
  • Options
    edited October 18, 2006
    antrieb wrote:

Is it cam timing that's off? I can ask a buddy of mine who might know the specs, lemme know which timing specs you need.
  • Options
    edited October 18, 2006
    Is it cam timing that's off? I can ask a buddy of mine who might know the specs, lemme know which timing specs you need.
    Sort of, the chain is somwhere between 5-50 degrees off we think. It should be obvious when we get the good repair manual and ita ll apart again.

• Options
    edited October 18, 2006
    antrieb wrote:
    Sort of, the chain is somwhere between 5-50 degrees off we think. It should be obvious when we get the good repair manual and ita ll apart again.

Aight, so cam timing, not ignition timing. I'll ask him. If he knows, I'll be able to pass it on to you before that manual arrives in the mail, get you on the road faster.
  • Options
    edited October 18, 2006
    Aight, so cam timing, not ignition timing. I'll ask him. If he knows, I'll be able to pass it on to you before that manual arrives in the mail, get you on the road faster.
    That would be great! We know all the basic stuff, but if there is a trick to the m60 engines, I'd love to know.

• Options
    edited October 18, 2006
    antrieb wrote:
    That would be great! We know all the basic stuff, but if there is a trick to the m60 engines, I'd love to know.

I e-mailed him. He worked for Koala Motorsport for a little while, so if there is a trick I'm guessing he knows.
  • Options
    DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited October 18, 2006
    wxwax wrote:
    You don't know what you're talking about. The lip is good for at least 0.7mph boost in top speed. Sheesh, get with it Waxy!
    rolleyes1.gif
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited October 18, 2006
    antrieb wrote:
    It's for the looks.
    Is that right?

lol3.gif
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    edited October 18, 2006
    antrieb wrote:
    Great looking M, truth. Are you on bimmerforums?
    Thanks.

Nah, I hate car forums. Spent way too much time on them when I was first getting into modding. Only time I use them now is if I'm looking for a specific bit of info.

You can't tell in the pics but I'm running 275/30/19 on all four corners with a TC Kline D/A coilover set-up and the Brembo GT 4 wheel kit. The wheels are the RG4's made by Champion Motorsports, 19x9 and 19x10.
  • Options
    edited October 18, 2006
    truth wrote:
    You can't tell in the pics but I'm running 275/30/19 on all four corners ... 19x9 and 19x10.
    Why did you stuff the same width tires on 2 different size wheels? If its for convenience, I see it, but if not. headscratch.gif

(when I was tuning cars at Ford a few years ago, we always used to bowdown.gifto BMW for the E46 M3 and sticking to the purity of forcing mismatched f/r wheels to get the exact handling they wanted out of the car. at a time when all carmakers were sacrificing little bits like that, it was nice that the M-group could still get away with it. We -dynamics group- tried, but were always nixed when it got to the penny-pinchers and fab guys)
    Erik

• Options
    claudermilkclaudermilk Registered Users Posts: 2,756 Major grins
    edited October 18, 2006
    Gloating
    Let me interrupt the BMW rebuild chat to gloat a bit. My wife surprised me this last weekend with a nice car rental. Just a rental you say? Yeah, but this rental... :D A very fun couple of days that moved a GT up a few notches on my to-buy list.

103193237-M.jpg

After having to give the keys back, I looked a little harder at what hardware is involved in this car. It' really a GT with a Ford Racing Power Package, Handling Package, and some Shelby magic. Except for that last bit, should be fairly easy to replicate.
  • Options
    edited October 18, 2006
    DoctorIt wrote:
    Why did you stuff the same width tires on 2 different size wheels? If its for convenience, I see it, but if not. headscratch.gif

(when I was tuning cars at Ford a few years ago, we always used to bowdown.gifto BMW for the E46 M3 and sticking to the purity of forcing mismatched f/r wheels to get the exact handling they wanted out of the car. at a time when all carmakers were sacrificing little bits like that, it was nice that the M-group could still get away with it. We -dynamics group- tried, but were always nixed when it got to the penny-pinchers and fab guys)
    I was skeptical too when my tuner advised the tire sizing. But they know M3's as well as anyone in the US.

The wider front tires eliminate all understeer, especially at the limits of adhesion (Yes, even the M division builds in understeer for safety reasons). This reduces the need to rotate the car via throttle oversteer which while fun, is not the fastest way through a corner (yes, I track the car). 275 is the widest you can go in the rear otherwise I would have gone even wider back there. So it's not really a function of matching all 4 but it's a nice benefit given the M3's thirst for rear tires. I've never dirven another street car with the balance this one has. It's dead pan neutral and once you get used to the tramlining the wider fronts do cause it's an absolute blast with amazingly quick turn in. Compared with M3's running OEM tire width ratios F/R I can absolutely dust them in the corners where we should be pretty even.
  • Options
    edited October 18, 2006
    truth wrote:
    I was skeptical too when my tuner advised the tire sizing...
    Interesting.

Tramlining...? Whenever we tested performance cars with taut setups, we always took them out on the freeways around detroit. You know, the ones with truck-ruts so deep you could sprain an ankle? We had another word for it, but I'm guessing tramlining refers to sensitivity/tendency of the car to follow road inconsistencies, i.e. truck-ruts? Or at least that's what I think when that kind of mod is discussed.

How's the compliance vs. stock?

I'm surprised you say it eliminates all understeer. Rather, that the larger tires are the sole reason. I just feel like there's easier ways to get better turn-in that simply increasing grip at the front. Some changes in camber or toe would make it more aggressive as well.

Anyway, interesting, fun to talk dynamics - not something I get to do too much of these days. It's a sweet car, that I someday would love to own. thumb.gif
    Erik

• Options
    edited October 18, 2006
    With the coilover kit I also have camber plates. The suspension definatley comes into play with everyhting else. We worked closely with TC Kline to set the car up as close to race ready as we could for the street. It's pretty aggressive and could easily get the typical M3 buyer into a good bit of trouble.

The ride is a stiffer than stock but ride qualtiy is actually better as it's more controlled. Sharp hits a low speed are more pronouncd but everything else is better than stock. I've taken it cross country logging 12 hour days at the wheel without any complaints from my fiancee.
  • Options
    edited October 18, 2006
    Except for that last bit, should be fairly easy to replicate.

If you wait a couple of months, they will be bringing these to the public (though with different paint schemes, and I don't think it will have that engraved signature bit), plus the public ones will be able to get stick shift (even my dad, who has hated every american car clutch and gearbox, had to say that the on in the GT was pretty good except for the fact that 3to4 wasn't straight up and down - though i didn't notice since I twisted-wrist my upshifts to ensure I never accidentaly downshift) and will have a working traction control defeat switch.