Options

The Car Talk Thread

Comments

• Options
    marlinspikemarlinspike Registered Users Posts: 2,095 Major grins
    edited October 18, 2006
    DoctorIt wrote:
    I'm surprised you say it eliminates all understeer. Rather, that the larger tires are the sole reason. I just feel like there's easier ways to get better turn-in that simply increasing grip at the front.
    I always thought when you go so wide in front you kill turn in? Wouldn't it be easier (plus track less - I call tracking what Doc described as tramlining) to just close the gap in the F/R tire pressure ratio?

Here I am debated 245-50/16 all around or 225-50/16 in front hehe

Also, aren't those 19" wheels killing you on weight?
  • Options
    SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
    edited October 18, 2006
    I always thought when you go so wide in front you kill turn in? Wouldn't it be easier (plus track less - I call tracking what Doc described as tramlining) to just close the gap in the F/R tire pressure ratio?

Here I am debated 245-50/16 all around or 225-50/16 in front hehe

Also, aren't those 19" wheels killing you on weight?
    Relying on tire pressure for handling adjustments on the street is simply not practical.

The 19's are forged and lighter than the OEM 18's that I run with snow tires. Amazingly these wheels are so strong and light that they were worth every penny. I had a set of 18" Volks on my old Audi that were like butter compared to these. I bent 4 of them in 18 months driving the same roads. These RG4's just take a beating without blinking.

My old Avant...
    A4%20avant.jpg&

Not quite stock...
    blower.jpg&

volk.jpg&
  • Options
    edited October 18, 2006
    truth wrote:
    The 19's are forged and lighter than the OEM 18's that I run with snow tires.

Whoa, the factory 18"s weigh more than 22lbs? Sheesh, and they aren't even forged or am I reading too much into it? The factory wheels on my old MB are forged and weigh 14.5lbs...ok ok so they're 14" heheheherolleyes1.gifrofl
  • Options
    SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
    edited October 18, 2006
    Factory 18's are not forged.
  • Options
    dugmardugmar Registered Users Posts: 756 Major grins
    edited October 19, 2006
    antrieb wrote:
    Just got a few new goodies for my car, even though it doesn't run yet eek7.gif

-New wheels: Origional BMW wheels from an e39. 17x8 "Style 5's"
    525ib.jpg

wings.gif

Those look nice. I have a question, as you know, the E39 has a 74mm centerbore. What did you do to get these down to 72.5mm? Hubcentric ring?
  • Options
    NHBubbaNHBubba Registered Users Posts: 342 Major grins
    edited October 19, 2006
    ChrisJ wrote:
    I honestly don't drive it on the freeway a lot (only because my commute doesn't require it). But I have done road trips around CA and I've never had any weird noises/shutters. Top up or top down. If you get above 80, the noise/wind get a little intense with the top down. A wind deflector might help... I've found that just keeping the passenger window up, driver window down makes for the best driving experience at speed.
    My experience (and related complaints) were all w/ the top up! The more I learn about Miata, the more I think this one was just a bad buy.

The '99 I went to check out was sold by the time I got there. I guess the price was right! The guy tried to quick sell me on a '90 he had 'just gotten in' on the back lot. Condition was so-so. One thing he was bragging about was the AC, so I asked him to fire it up and demonstrate. One thing I noticed was both electric fans on the radiator came on when he turned the AC on. Miata.net's buyer's guide/tips also suggested checking this. ... Meanwhile the fans on the '97 I checked out last week did NOT come on w/ the AC. The owner fully admitted that the AC hadn't functioned well in years, he just figured it needed a recharge or had a leak. Now I wonder if it had cooling problems too because of a problem w/ those fans. The more I read/learn, the more I am glad I passed.
    ChrisJ wrote:
    Too bad... well, there are still a *lot* of nice NAs out there, the right one will come along. The NBs are okay, but I like the styling with pop-up headlights.
    Well, I am still looking. I'd honestly take either. Sure, the flip up lights are cool.. but I like the styling and interior of the NB's just a touch more. And I feel they are more comfortable. I plan to do a lot of my 1-hour-each-way commuting in this car, often w/ a car-pooler, so comfort is important.

And my bank will finance out to a '99, after that I have to arrange 'special' financing. This is a toy, so I don't want to finance a lot. But I'm finding that I'd rather pay now for something clean, and the ability to get easy financing helps.

Also many of the older NA's I am seeing around here are in very poor condition. I've actually found quite a bit of odo-rollback-ness going on. Far more than I expected. I guess the thing to do is bring a high-mileage southern or Florida car up here, roll the odo back, and pawn it off for a fortune. Carfax has been my friend lately.
  • Options
    edited October 19, 2006
    My Beta 3/8" ratchet set came today, and I give it a thumb.gif
    It's as functional as snap on in that it's dimensionally small (obviously it's long enough for the appropriate leverage of a 3/8" set), appears strong (everything is quite dense), and the bits fit a machined to tight tolerances so they all fit well together. Also, I quite like the 72 tooth of the ratchet. The one mark against them I will say is that the chrome, while appearing to be well applied (it's not going to chip like matco), it isn't finished quite as well as snap-on, but considering the price (20% off MSRP which is already about 20% off snap-on prices), I'm willing to take that trade-off. The sockets are very legibly marked. Oh, and the metal box it comes in is quite nice, a lot better than those plastic boxes most ratchet sets come in.
    103831661-M.jpg
    103831457-M.jpg
    103831515-M.jpg
  • Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited October 19, 2006
    Just sayin'

card340.jpg

More here.
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    edited October 19, 2006
    DavidTO wrote:
    Just sayin'

card340.jpg

More here.

Is that your blog? Funny stuff either way thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited October 19, 2006
    Is that your blog? Funny stuff either way thumb.gif

No, I wish I was that clever.

Or not. I've always liked this quote from Harvey:

My mother used to say to me 'Elwood'--she always called me Elwood--'Elwood, in this world you must be oh-so clever or oh-so pleasant.' For years I was clever... I'd recommend pleasant. (James Stewart)
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    jsedlakjsedlak Registered Users Posts: 487 Major grins
    edited October 20, 2006
    Annie, contact me soon. I got the tools... you need to pm me your address or directions from RPI.
  • Options
    ChrisJChrisJ Registered Users Posts: 2,164 Major grins
    edited October 20, 2006
    NHBubba wrote:
    The guy tried to quick sell me on a '90 he had 'just gotten in' on the back lot. Condition was so-so. One thing he was bragging about was the AC
    That's one reason I would avoid the older NAs, the AC is harder to re-charge... can't remember when that changed, 92-93?
    NHBubba wrote:
    The more I read/learn, the more I am glad I passed. Well, I am still looking. I'd honestly take either. Sure, the flip up lights are cool.. but I like the styling and interior of the NB's just a touch more. And I feel they are more comfortable. I plan to do a lot of my 1-hour-each-way commuting in this car, often w/ a car-pooler, so comfort is important.
    Yep, sounds like a used lemon. I commute 10 miles each way, but it's a 40-45 minute drive! The good thing is I get to take Mulholland Drive and twisty backroads of Bel-Air. Perfect for this car.

Yeah, cars from SoCal can appear to be in better shape than they are, especially if kept garaged. I can see how an Odo rollback would be appealing to the slimey types.
    Chris
  • Options
    edited October 20, 2006
    ChrisJ wrote:
    I get to take Mulholland Drive and twisty backroads of Bel-Air. Perfect for this car.

I used to make that same commute. It can be quite the bottleneck.
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    antriebantrieb Registered Users Posts: 285 Major grins
    edited October 21, 2006
    Today might be the day!

jsedlak is bringing the BMW tool to lock the cams together, we have all the parts, and we have the correct manual.
    Photography runs in my blood :andy

http://zwilliams.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    edited October 21, 2006
    antrieb wrote:
    Today might be the day!

jsedlak is bringing the BMW tool to lock the cams together, we have all the parts, and we have the correct manual.

WHATEVER you do, DO NOT post a drum roll.
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,914 moderator
    edited October 21, 2006
    antrieb wrote:
    Today might be the day!

Good luck!
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    edited October 21, 2006
    jsedlak wrote:
    Annie, contact me soon. I got the tools... you need to pm me your address or directions from RPI.

Do you by any chance know of any good BMW shops in Newark area?
    Thanks
  • Options
    edited October 22, 2006
    antrieb wrote:
    Today might be the day!

WELL!!???????
  • Options
    antriebantrieb Registered Users Posts: 285 Major grins
    edited October 22, 2006
    WELL!!???????
    ne_nau.gif Tom was working on it after I went to work. I went to check it out when I got back and it looks like everything is back together but I didn't try to start it. He's coming over this morning to finish whatever is left (hood, exhaust, ect) that is if it even runs yet :/
    Photography runs in my blood :andy

http://zwilliams.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited October 22, 2006
    antrieb wrote:
    Today might be the day!

Not according to what I heard naughty.gif

So, what's up?
  • Options
    edited October 22, 2006
    The Jeep Compass got the job done this past week. Two photogs, loads of gear, lots of room, comfy ride. I put about a 1000 miles on it, really enjoyable.

104176689-M.jpg
  • Options
    DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited October 22, 2006
    Andy wrote:
    The Jeep Compass got the job done this past week. Two photogs, loads of gear, lots of room, comfy ride. I put about a 1000 miles on it, really enjoyable.
    I was just looking at your Shenandoah thread wondering what vehicle you guys used. thumb.gif
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• Options
    edited October 22, 2006
    Anybody here know anything about Jet-Hot coating headers?
  • Options
    DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited October 22, 2006
    Anybody here know anything about Jet-Hot coating headers?
    A friend of mine had his motorcycle headers done a couple years back. They didn't look fancy, as in, the finish is flat, but performance-wise, he was happy with them. Anything more specific I can't really remember.
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• Options
    edited October 22, 2006
    DoctorIt wrote:
    A friend of mine had his motorcycle headers done a couple years back. They didn't look fancy, as in, the finish is flat, but performance-wise, he was happy with them. Anything more specific I can't really remember.

I see. Well, actually they have several finishes, so the fancy level depends on which he went with. I would be going with blue since it would match my engine bay, and yea that one is a flat blue but it's close enough. I wonder if it really does significantly drop underhood temps and if there are any downsides.
  • Options
    jsedlakjsedlak Registered Users Posts: 487 Major grins
    edited October 23, 2006
    Do you by any chance know of any good BMW shops in Newark area?
    Thanks

I work at one called MSR. We are very trusted on bimmerforums.
    http://www.motorsportrecycling.com

I just got back from my trip to upstate NY... Wow the timing was off and the tool definately helped. Still isn't fixed... apparently it needs a camshaft sensor.
  • Options
    edited October 23, 2006
    jsedlak wrote:

I just got back from my trip to upstate NY... Wow the timing was off and the tool definately helped. Still isn't fixed... apparently it needs a camshaft sensor.
    I should send my special friends from New Jersey out to see that wanker that sold this car to Zac. rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    wholenewlightwholenewlight Registered Users Posts: 1,529 Major grins
    edited October 23, 2006
    Andy wrote:
    I should send my special friends from New Jersey out to see that wanker that sold this car to Zac. rolleyes1.gif

These Special Friends . . . . . .???????

104750645-L.jpg

:gun2
    john w

I knew, of course, that trees and plants had roots, stems, bark, branches and foliage that reached up toward the light. But I was coming to realize that the real magician was light itself.
    Edward Steichen

• Options
    edited October 23, 2006
    jsedlak wrote:

Can you give me an idea of what you charge to replace a right rear window regulator on a '98 540? I'm debating sending my bro over or, since it's stuck up, just waiting until Thanksgiving break and driving up and fixing it.
  • Options
    dragon300zxdragon300zx Registered Users Posts: 2,575 Major grins
    edited October 23, 2006
    Hey zac, just thought I'd throw in a word of encouragement for ya. It is after all just a car, and no matter what is wrong with it I'm sure you'll be able to get it fixed and running (here's to hoping it doesn't cost you the cost of a new car though). Besides it could be worse. You could be investing this much time, money, and effort on something like a chrysler product. At least your car wasn't created by the same animators who drew the gotham (batman) cartoon series.
    Everyone Has A Photographic Memory. Some Just Do Not Have Film.
    www.zxstudios.com
    http://creativedragonstudios.smugmug.com