Options

The Car Talk Thread

Comments

• Options
    jsedlakjsedlak Registered Users Posts: 487 Major grins
    edited October 23, 2006
    Can you give me an idea of what you charge to replace a right rear window regulator on a '98 540? I'm debating sending my bro over or, since it's stuck up, just waiting until Thanksgiving break and driving up and fixing it.

Not much, takes about an hour to do.

You'd have to call and speak to Bill W... I uh... don't work there anymore.
  • Options
    antriebantrieb Registered Users Posts: 285 Major grins
    edited October 23, 2006
    Found the problem! I have a bad crankshaft sensor. I have no idea how it happened, but it went bad somtime during the rebuild. The manual says if this sensor is bad, the car will just crank and won't fire. It also says it should be 1280ohms, and its only 800ohms so it has to be the problem.

I've also done a few mods today. Reiger front lip and yellow laminex foglights.

104819502-L.jpg

104819685-L.jpg

I think the last shot is killer. I'm really getting th hang of this camera thing mwink.gif Or maybe its because I have photography running in my blood ne_nau.gif
    Photography runs in my blood :andy

http://zwilliams.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    dragon300zxdragon300zx Registered Users Posts: 2,575 Major grins
    edited October 23, 2006
    Good luck with that sensor I know it can be a problem on alot of different types of cars.

Just keep pushing at it and I hope you are happy with the results.

Besides cars are still cheaper than girls.
    Everyone Has A Photographic Memory. Some Just Do Not Have Film.
    www.zxstudios.com
    http://creativedragonstudios.smugmug.com
  • Options
    edited October 23, 2006
    Good luck with that sensor I know it can be a problem on alot of different types of cars.

Just keep pushing at it and I hope you are happy with the results.

Besides cars are still cheaper than girls.

ahahaha says who?
  • Options
    edited October 23, 2006
    jsedlak wrote:
    ahahaha says who?

Ever bought an engagement ring? Not to mention the dates, the gifts, etc. And if you do get the engagement ring often kids follow, even more money (and less sleep). Or no engagement ring and you still end up with a kids, Or you end up falling in love with a girl who has kids already....... Yeah Cars are way, way cheaper.
    www.zxstudios.com
  • Options
    edited October 23, 2006
    Ever bought an engagement ring? Not to mention the dates, the gifts, etc. And if you do get the engagement ring often kids follow, even more money (and less sleep). Or no engagement ring and you still end up with a kids, Or you end up falling in love with a girl who has kids already....... Yeah Cars are way, way cheaper.

haha ok wasn't thinking about it like that.

but still... my dreams include a motor with the letter S(54)... which will cost at least 8k for the motor alone.
  • Options
    DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited October 23, 2006
    No bitterness or resentment in that one, eh?
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• Options
    gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited October 24, 2006
    Saw a cool old car today gents but couldnt see a make...it was about a 1950s job but the hood ornament was a circle with a shape like a cigar piercing the circle (ie the circle was across ways to car ...just like a merc's ornament is & cigar thing piercing the circle was going in direction of car)

Any ideas ?
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,913 moderator
    edited October 24, 2006
    DoctorIt wrote:

Probably none. Me thinks jealousy lol3.gif
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    marlinspikemarlinspike Registered Users Posts: 2,095 Major grins
    edited October 24, 2006
    For some reason I can't reply directly to your post Gus (it keeps loading but never loads anything, wierd), but the answer is it's the old Buick Roadmaster emblem.
  • Options
    edited October 24, 2006
    DoctorIt wrote:

Laughing.gif honestly no resentment or bitterness at all. It's just a fact. After all I appear to have live in girlfriend with kids now and I wouldn't change a thing.
    www.zxstudios.com
  • Options
    edited October 24, 2006
    gus wrote:
    Saw a cool old car today gents but couldnt see a make...it was about a 1950s job but the hood ornament was a circle with a shape like a cigar piercing the circle (ie the circle was across ways to car ...just like a merc's ornament is & cigar thing piercing the circle was going in direction of car)

Any ideas ?
    I'll bet it was an Oldsmobile, and I'll even venture further that it was a Rocket 88.

They were insanely popular in Australia in the 40s and 50s, and as a matter of fact, many US collectors go to Aus to look for good examples of these. I believe they may have had an actual plant there... beyond that my knowledge gets shaky.

Look like this by any chance?
    71107027.jpg
    Erik

• Options
    edited October 24, 2006
    DoctorIt wrote:
    I'll bet it was an Oldsmobile, and I'll even venture further that it was a Rocket 88.

They were insanely popular in Australia in the 40s and 50s, and as a matter of fact, many US collectors go to Aus to look for good examples of these. I believe they may have had an actual plant there... beyond that my knowledge gets shaky.

Look like this by any chance?

The way he described it I figured Buick Roadmaster.
    either buic5401b.jpg
    or istockphoto_755070_buick_eight_roadmaster_hood_ornament.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 24, 2006
    ah, you're probably right... it took me a while to decipher this part of gus'
    description:

(ie the circle was across ways to car ...just like a merc's ornament is & cigar thing piercing the circle was going in direction of car)

I was just going on historical knowledge rather than logo, although the Olds kinda fits.
    Erik

• Options
    edited October 24, 2006
    either
    or istockphoto_755070_buick_eight_roadmaster_hood_ornament.jpg
    Thats it !. What a cool looking old car it was.
  • Options
    antriebantrieb Registered Users Posts: 285 Major grins
    edited October 26, 2006
    Well I need a little motivation on this project so I made these to cheer myslef up.

motivator7607624.jpg

motivator2428140.jpg

motivator769917.jpg

motivator6036543.jpg

motivator7863026.jpg

(And heck yes I used fotobucket, smuggy doesn't load fast this time of night ne_nau.gif)
    Photography runs in my blood :andy

http://zwilliams.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited October 26, 2006
    Question:

Should I take apart the dash on my Prius to install the iPod integration kit I got?

A) I've never taken a dash apart before.

B) I'm a cheap bastard and don't want to pay someone to do it.

C) I found instructions (PDF here, if you're really interested in what I'm talking about getting myself into, but here's a short snippet from the instructions: Unfortunately, to get the stereo out, you must remove eight
    other parts first, including two panels behind the steering
    wheel. Most parts have edges that are held down by other
    parts, so they must be removed in a specific order without
    too much deviation.

So what do you all think? Smart? Stupid? OK, enough about me...should I do this?
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    edited October 26, 2006
    DavidTO wrote:
    Question:

Should I take apart the dash on my Prius to install the iPod integration kit I got?

C) I found instructions (PDF here, if you're really interested in what I'm talking about getting myself into, but here's a short snippet from the instructions: Unfortunately, to get the stereo out, you must remove eight
    other parts first, including two panels behind the steering
    wheel. Most parts have edges that are held down by other
    parts, so they must be removed in a specific order without
    too much deviation.

So what do you all think? Smart? Stupid? OK, enough about me...should I do this?

Pay..if not take before & afters so we can tease you till all eternity for making a mess of a brand new car.
  • Options
    edited October 26, 2006
    antrieb wrote:
    Well I need a little motivation on this project so I made these to cheer myslef up.

(And heck yes I used fotobucket, smuggy doesn't load fast this time of night ne_nau.gif)

Dang, when did the engine fire happen? And didn't the old man teach you the trick to get around the upload processing queue (upload the photo, then do replace photo with the same photo)?
  • Options
    edited October 26, 2006
    DavidTO wrote:
    Question:

The link doesn't work so I don't know how involved what you plan on doing is, but assuming it really is taking the dash apart and not just the center console, my answer would be pay someone to do it. At the very least before putting things back together test drive the car to make sure you aren't getting any rpm whine into the ipod.
  • Options
    edited October 26, 2006
    2008 3 series convertable...looks a bit manky to me.
  • Options
    edited October 26, 2006
    DavidTO wrote:
    Question:

David, I won't sugarcoat my response: By reason (A), you'd be a complete idiot to try this yourself. However, as you admit by (B), you're going to try it anyway. Good luck.

Here's a question for you: how much do you make an hour? I bet my ass that six hours at your pay rate is much less than the 1-hour at approx $80/hr you'll get charged for an installation like that.

If that reason doesn't appeal to you, here another question: do you like squeaks and rattles? If you're like me, and despise them, and will hunt them down like a mad dog, then don't even think about opening up the rat's nest that is a modern japanese dashboard. I'd bet any sum of money that half the parts in there are held on by plastic snap-fasteners, not screws or bolts. That means, since you don't know exactly what it looks like under there, you'll break at least half of them and have to go source new ones anyway. You'll break at least half of those respective new ones too. A week later, when you still have 8 rattles because 2 fasteners are still broken, you'll rip it apart one more time, and in a fit of rage, cover the entire fastener area in hot melt glue, reattach, then drill a hole in the dash and put a damn drywall screw through. Sound like fun? Don't ask me how I know.

Do it on your 10-year old ratbox, not on your brand new energizer-bunny mobile.
    Erik

• Options
    edited October 26, 2006
    gus wrote:
    2008 3 series convertable...looks a bit manky to me.
    define: manky? I'm gonna guess you don't like it.
    Erik

• Options
    edited October 26, 2006
    DavidTO wrote:
    Question:

Should I grab a drill, some dental filler, and do my own fillings on my teeth?

Taking apart a dash is not something for the faint of heart.
    www.zxstudios.com
  • Options
    edited October 26, 2006
    Should I grab a drill, some dental filler, and do my own fillings on my teeth?

Taking apart a dash is not something for the faint of heart.

I still can't get that link to work, but taking apart center consoles is easy (I can't imagine the dash would have to come out to do this).
  • Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited October 26, 2006
    Thanks, all. You talked me out of it.

Marlin: the link works fine for me...it IS a PDF file, so maybe try saving the linked file? ne_nau.gif
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    edited October 26, 2006
    DavidTO wrote:

Marlin: the link works fine for me...it IS a PDF file, so maybe try saving the linked file? ne_nau.gif
    Feel good about this decision. I've been monkeying with cars and bikes on and off my whole life. Letting the VW dealer do my iPod kit install for me a couple months ago felt fantastic. I read magazines for an hour or so (something I never get to relax and do), then handed over my credit card, jumped in my car with iPod plugged in, and drove home with a smile. :D
    Erik

• Options
    edited October 26, 2006
    DavidTO wrote:

It just times out for me.
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited October 26, 2006
    Yes, I deleted posts about the Ferarri. And the other thread. Seems that someone needs to grow up. It was a troll, not any of you guys.

Oh well, moving on now, nothing to see here.
  • Options
    edited October 26, 2006
    I missed a troll? Dang, I new I should refresh faster...I would have figured it was me though...you sure it wasn't?

Oooo, and my tri-y's are on their way to jet-hot to be coated in jet-hot 2000F in blue and my penta wheels are at the powder coaters getting polished rims and body-colored centers. clap.gif