Options

The Car Talk Thread

Comments

• Options
    bwgbwg Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,119 SmugMug Employee
    edited November 4, 2006
    In German cars (well, I know in MBs anywayss), you don't swap gearsets you swap diffs. They make their diffs so needlessly complicated that very expensive and unique machinery is needed to properly line things up internally, so you just replace the whole unit instead.
    gotcha. thx for the info.
    Pedal faster
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited November 4, 2006
    boy give me that car. send me some pics.
    Zac, I'm bigger than Dragon - I'll hold him down, you can take his wallet. We'll leave the keys to the 'yota.
  • Options
    DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited November 5, 2006
    BAD JOKE BOOOOOOOOOOO
    Sorry :D I really will take them though. Unless you're in a hurry, see if anyone else needs 'em. My current pair isn't too bad, but new ones are always fun.
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• Options
    marlinspikemarlinspike Registered Users Posts: 2,095 Major grins
    edited November 5, 2006
    DoctorIt wrote:
    Sorry :D I really will take them though. Unless you're in a hurry, see if anyone else needs 'em. My current pair isn't too bad, but new ones are always fun.

Take them, or buy them? But I'm in no hurry, so I'll see if the resident chemical's-tendency-to-cause-skin-cancer-in-the-hands tester (Zac) wants them - I guess I'm hoping one more person will see the light of not getting chlorinated solvents on your hands.
  • Options
    DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited November 5, 2006
    at $15, its practically taking. Yes, see if Zac wants them first. nod.gif
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• Options
    antriebantrieb Registered Users Posts: 285 Major grins
    edited November 6, 2006
    Nope I'm all set. I bought some when it started getting cold a few weeks ago.
    Photography runs in my blood :andy

http://zwilliams.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    dragon300zxdragon300zx Registered Users Posts: 2,575 Major grins
    edited November 6, 2006
    Andy wrote:
    Zac, I'm bigger than Dragon - I'll hold him down, you can take his wallet. We'll leave the keys to the 'yota.

Andy, I guess you missed the latest drama in my life. I know have a live in gf with kids (you should understand what this means about my wallet). But if you still wanna trade my raggedy old wallet for the toyota I'll give it to ya without ya even having to hold me down.
    Everyone Has A Photographic Memory. Some Just Do Not Have Film.
    www.zxstudios.com
    http://creativedragonstudios.smugmug.com
  • Options
    edited November 6, 2006
    Andy, I guess you missed the latest drama in my life. I know have a live in gf with kids (you should understand what this means about my wallet). But if you still wanna trade my raggedy old wallet for the toyota I'll give it to ya without ya even having to hold me down.

lol3.gif
  • Options
    edited November 6, 2006
    Andy wrote:
    lol3.gif

Yeah Yeah, laugh it up. But at least she isn't high maintenance so I don't have to stop and get little blue boxes everytime I want something or put my foot in my mouth (couldn't seem to get the damn thing out of my mouth yesterday).
    www.zxstudios.com
  • Options
    edited November 6, 2006
    antrieb wrote:
    Nope I'm all set. I bought some when it started getting cold a few weeks ago.

And is the fine product of german engineering (rolleyes1.gif) that is so much more reliable than the nimble AE-86 (rolleyes1.gifrofldeal.gifwink:giggle) running yet?
    www.zxstudios.com
  • Options
    NHBubbaNHBubba Registered Users Posts: 342 Major grins
    edited November 6, 2006
    So I'm gassing up the new hot rod this AM on the way to work when a ~1990 BMW 'vert came roaring into the station. Wheels, suspension and exhaust were all noticably non-stock. The front plate was haning from the head-liner behind the windsheild and in its place was a european plate. The proper NH tags read 'E30-BMW'. ... It instantly made me think of this thread.

That is all..
  • Options
    edited November 6, 2006
    NHBubba wrote:
    So I'm gassing up the new hot rod this AM on the way to work when a ~1990 BMW 'vert came roaring into the station. Wheels, suspension and exhaust were all noticably non-stock. The front plate was haning from the head-liner behind the windsheild and in its place was a european plate. The proper NH tags read 'E30-BMW'. ... It instantly made me think of this thread.

That is all..
    So how did it look? Tasteful or tacky?

And no my car isn't done yet. I spent another $100 on a timing gun to find out that my ignition timing is retarded by about 50 degrees. No idea how that could have happened headscratch.gif

• Options
    edited November 6, 2006
    antrieb wrote:

And no my car isn't done yet. I spent another $100 on a timing gun to find out that my ignition timing is retarded by about 50 degrees. No idea how that could have happened headscratch.gif

Hmmm, someone put something in wrong, or the timing was set wrong.
    www.zxstudios.com
  • Options
    edited November 6, 2006
    And is the fine product of german engineering (rolleyes1.gif) that is so much more reliable than the nimble AE-86 (rolleyes1.gifrofldeal.gifwink:giggle) running yet?

Don't blame the engineers for lack of owner maintenance. That owner never even bothered to get a FREE engine under a recall program. I once heard someone complain about the fact that MB and BMW don't put a little lip on their gas cap doors so they are hard to figure out how to open. NO LIP LOOKS BETTER AND IS MORE AERODYNAMIC IF YOU ARE TOO STUPID TO RTFM THAT'S YOUR FAULT
  • Options
    edited November 6, 2006
    Don't blame the engineers for lack of owner maintenance. That owner never even bothered to get a FREE engine under a recall program. I once heard someone complain about the fact that MB and BMW don't put a little lip on their gas cap doors so they are hard to figure out how to open. NO LIP LOOKS BETTER AND IS MORE AERODYNAMIC IF YOU ARE TOO STUPID TO RTFM THAT'S YOUR FAULT

Ich herr snobmeister ylsuper.gif
    www.zxstudios.com
  • Options
    edited November 6, 2006
    Ich herr snobmeister ylsuper.gif
    Quite frankly, I don't think expecting people to RTFM is being snobbish. If someone is illiterate, I'll read it to them. If a person isn't illiterate, they shouldn't view reading an operations manual as a chore.

The snobbish part comes in when I say something like people who fail to read their owner's manual should be forced to give up their cars, then drug into the street and shot.

And you're missing a verb there, plus you want to say Du ist Herr Snobmeister. (the thing with Kennedy, well 1 - what he said was actually an acceptable way and 2 - you don't need a verb when you express your nationality but that's a special case)
  • Options
    edited November 6, 2006
    Quite frankly, I don't think expecting people to RTFM is being snobbish. If someone is illiterate, I'll read it to them. If a person isn't illiterate, they shouldn't view reading an operations manual as a chore.

The snobbish part comes in when I say something like people who fail to read their owner's manual should be forced to give up their cars, then drug into the street and shot.

And you're missing a verb there, plus you want to say Du ist Herr Snobmeister. (the thing with Kennedy, well 1 - what he said was actually an acceptable way and 2 - you don't need a verb when you express your nationality but that's a special case)

Laughing.gif, Well A I don't speak german, at all. B It's not that expecting people to RTFM is snobbish, its just that well, whenever someone reffers to you as that the mental image I get is quite amusing. I agree with the RTFM comment by the way. To many stupid lazy people out there.
    www.zxstudios.com
  • Options
    edited November 6, 2006
  • Options
    edited November 6, 2006
    antrieb wrote:
    w000000t that's your motor goin!
  • Options
    edited November 6, 2006
    antrieb wrote:

Cool! But what the heck is going on with the engine sound? Haven't put the exhaust back on yet?
  • Options
    edited November 6, 2006
    Yes sir, that is open headers right there. Sounds like a 350 with open headers :D

The squeeking is from the belt and broken water pump pulley, which I just ordered an hour ago.

• Options
    edited November 6, 2006
    antrieb wrote:
    Yes sir, that is open headers right there. Sounds like a 350 with open headers :D
    <o:p> </o:p>
    The squeeking is from the belt and broken water pump pulley, which I just ordered an hour ago.

I saw on the bimmer forums that you have to fix your exhaust. What's wrong with it? Don't buy from timevalve is all I have to say - they're supposed to be the shit, but from what I saw they're just s**t.

(Mod edit. Language! Sid.)
  • Options
    edited November 7, 2006
    I saw on the bimmer forums that you have to fix your exhaust. What's wrong with it? Don't buy from timevalve is all I have to say - they're supposed to be the shit, but from what I saw they're just s**t.
    There is nothing wrong with it, I just have to put it back together.

Rusted bolts need to be cut out with the fire wrench thumb.gif

• Options
    edited November 7, 2006
    antrieb wrote:
    There is nothing wrong with it, I just have to put it back together.

Rusted bolts need to be cut out with the fire wrench thumb.gif

You guys love that technique don't you? You guys ever consider, oh I don't know, using rust penetrator or a bolt extractor?
  • Options
    edited November 7, 2006
    You guys love that technique don't you? You guys ever consider, oh I don't know, using rust penetrator or a bolt extractor?
    yeah we've sprayed that stuff and tried it all. Fire wrench is the way to go thumb.gif

• Options
    edited November 7, 2006
    antrieb wrote:
    yeah we've sprayed that stuff and tried it all. Fire wrench is the way to go thumb.gif
    Ok so now that you got the money pit running when can I pick up the AE-86? I have the wallet right here waiting for you.
    www.zxstudios.com
  • Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited November 7, 2006
    Andy, I guess you missed the latest drama in my life. I know have a live in gf with kids (you should understand what this means about my wallet).

Why on earth would you do that? ne_nau.gif
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    edited November 7, 2006
    DavidTO wrote:
    Why on earth would you do that? ne_nau.gif
    :cryIne_nau.gifI forgot to deal.gif now I spend most of my time :bash:bash:bash.
    www.zxstudios.com
  • Options
    edited November 7, 2006
    antrieb wrote:
    VERY tacky. Well, the euro plate was kinda nifty. And the wheels weren't horrible. They were a multi-spoke look kind w/ nice center caps. Although I'd hate to be replacing them continiously w/ such low-profile rubber on them combined w/ our New England roads. I bet he bends at least one wheel per year. Sure hope that was his summer rubber and he's got some snows hidden somewhere.

The exhaust was way too much though. Ditto on the plate hanging from the headliner inside, wicked ghetto! If you're gonna run a euro plate like that, hang the local tag under it or something. A guy in the town I used to live in ran a VW GTI this way w/ two plates up front, far more tasteful.

Overall I wouldn't have given the kid more than $200 for his beamer. So yeah, mostly tacky.

Guy was clearly into his beamer though!
  • Options
    edited November 7, 2006
    antrieb wrote:
    It actually kinda does! Congrats.. clap.gif