Options

smughack: bulk zoom thumbnail (super deluxe version)

Comments

• Options
    MogMog Registered Users Posts: 128 Major grins
    edited September 4, 2006
    Help please..... again
    This has been working fine on my smaller galleries BUT I've just tried it on a larger gallery ( 119 images ) set it off going and went out the room, I've just come back and got a screen full of popup messages:

there was a problem retrieving the xml data: 12002: Unknown

It was on Processing thumbnail 9 of 119!

This is the gallery in question.

http://mog.smugmug.com/gallery/1836257

Thanks
  • Options
    MogMog Registered Users Posts: 128 Major grins
    edited September 4, 2006
    Ok all sorted, works fine when using Firefox.....
  • Options
    bwgbwg Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,119 SmugMug Employee
    edited September 5, 2006
    Mog wrote:
    Thanks for the reply...

Do I have to keep originals enabled or can I turn them back off when I have created the thumbnails...?

Thanks again...
    you can turn them back off when you're done thumbnailing.
    Pedal faster
  • Options
    devbobodevbobo Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,339 SmugMug Employee
    edited September 5, 2006
    bigwebguy wrote:
    you can turn them back off when you're done thumbnailing.

I know this sucks and it kills me that it has to be that way, but I am hoping for some new ajax goodness from JT at some stage...which might hopefully eliminate the need for this.
    David Parry
    SmugMug API Developer
    My Photos
  • Options
    alemanaleman Registered Users Posts: 8 Beginner grinner
    edited September 7, 2006
    This Rocks!
    I originally thought I had no need for this tool but after using it I have realized that I was WRONG. Great Job
  • Options
    edited September 7, 2006
    aleman wrote:
    I originally thought I had no need for this tool but after using it I have realized that I was WRONG. Great Job

Thanks Aleman
    David Parry
    SmugMug API Developer
    My Photos
  • Options
    pjb923pjb923 Registered Users Posts: 87 Big grins
    edited October 8, 2006
    I just discovered this tool and it's working great on some of my galleries.
    My problem is that on certain galleries the bulk zoom thumbnail check box does not show up at all. I have originals turned on and the galleries in question are public. I cannot figure out what is different about these galleries that is causing the hack to stop working.

Here are 2 galleries that do not work.

http://paulberge.smugmug.com/gallery/1877069
    http://paulberge.smugmug.com/gallery/103583

My other question is about how the thumbnails are displayed in Internet Explorer. On my galleries that the bulk zoom hack works on, using the Smugmug view, the thumbnails are shown in 2 rows when viewed in IE, but 3 rows in Opera and Firefox. I want everything to have 3 rows.

This is one gallery that shows this problem:
    http://paulberge.smugmug.com/gallery/1841976

Any help would be appreciated. I am trying to get all of my thumbnails cropped square and obviously without this hack working it's going to take a long time.
  • Options
    pjb923pjb923 Registered Users Posts: 87 Big grins
    edited October 9, 2006
    pjb923 wrote:
    I cannot figure out what is different about these galleries that is causing the hack to stop working.

I feel dumb now. I figured out my problem. The galleries that were not working had appearance set to SmugMug instead of custom. Now everything works great.
  • Options
    photogmommaphotogmomma Registered Users Posts: 1,644 Major grins
    edited October 16, 2006
    Awesome hack! Saved me a TON of time and my site looks a TON better!

Only wish it would turn my originals on... and then see that they were originally off and turn 'em back on. But beggers can't be choosers, can we?!? rolleyes1.gif

Seriously, thanks sooo much!
  • Options
    edited October 16, 2006
    Awesome hack! Saved me a TON of time and my site looks a TON better!

Only wish it would turn my originals on... and then see that they were originally off and turn 'em back on. But beggers can't be choosers, can we?!? rolleyes1.gif

Seriously, thanks sooo much!

Hey Andi,

I only need access to originals so that I can get the original dimensions for scaling correctly, unfortunately at this point there isn't any other option.

Cheers,

David
    David Parry
    SmugMug API Developer
    My Photos
  • Options
    photogmommaphotogmomma Registered Users Posts: 1,644 Major grins
    edited October 16, 2006
    devbobo wrote:
    Hey Andi,

I only need access to originals so that I can get the original dimensions for scaling correctly, unfortunately at this point there isn't any other option.

Cheers,

David

I figured there was a real reason for this! No worries.... This rocks. :D
  • Options
    dogwooddogwood Registered Users Posts: 2,572 Major grins
    edited November 26, 2006
    no BZT box
    I've used BZT dozens of times with no problem. But today, there's no BZT box in my galleries, even with originals enabled. I use Mozilla, but tried FF too, cleared the cache and all that-- still nothing. :cry

Any ideas? I'm pretty sure I haven't changed my code or anything.

Portland, Oregon Photographer Pete Springer
    website blog instagram facebook g+

• Options
    edited November 26, 2006
    dogwood wrote:
    I've used BZT dozens of times with no problem. But today, there's no BZT box in my galleries, even with originals enabled. I use Mozilla, but tried FF too, cleared the cache and all that-- still nothing. :cry

Any ideas? I'm pretty sure I haven't changed my code or anything.

Pete,

There appears to be a js script error on your page, remove the semi-colon...

function removeLinkFromImg();

Cheers,

David
    David Parry
    SmugMug API Developer
    My Photos
  • Options
    edited November 26, 2006
    devbobo wrote:
    Pete,

There appears to be a js script error on your page, remove the semi-colon...

function removeLinkFromImg();

Cheers,

David

David:

Looks like that was it! Thank you! thumb.gif BZT rules and I wasn't looking forward to individually zoomin' photos tonight.

Just curious-- how did you figure that out so fast? I honestly have NO idea how that semi-colon got there either. I do not touch that JS code. headscratch.gif

• Options
    edited November 26, 2006
    dogwood wrote:
    David:

Looks like that was it! Thank you! thumb.gif BZT rules and I wasn't looking forward to individually zoomin' photos tonight.

Just curious-- how did you figure that out so fast? I honestly have NO idea how that semi-colon got there either. I do not touch that JS code. headscratch.gif

I am using the Firefox extension Firebug, so when i loaded your page it showed some errors, then u click on the link and it takes you to the offending lines of code.

Check it out, it's very cool.

David
    David Parry
    SmugMug API Developer
    My Photos
  • Options
    edited November 26, 2006
    devbobo wrote:
    I am using the Firefox extension Firebug, so when i loaded your page it showed some errors, then u click on the link and it takes you to the offending lines of code.

Check it out, it's very cool.

David

Right on-- thanks for the tip David. I'll check it out.

• Options
    jrcadejrcade Registered Users Posts: 7 Big grins
    edited November 27, 2006
    speed question
    I have downloaded this code and it functions just fine in my galleries, as far as the app. loading up is concerned. However, it seems to take a VERY long time to process the thumbs once I have selected the desired ratio (one image sometimes takes 30 seconds -1 min.). Is this normal? FYI, the gallery I'm testing it on has 135 images.

Just curious if I missed something in the instructions.

ne_nau.gif
  • Options
    edited November 27, 2006
    jrcade wrote:
    I have downloaded this code and it functions just fine in my galleries, as far as the app. loading up is concerned. However, it seems to take a VERY long time to process the thumbs once I have selected the desired ratio (one image sometimes takes 30 seconds -1 min.). Is this normal? FYI, the gallery I'm testing it on has 135 images.

Just curious if I missed something in the instructions.

ne_nau.gif

hi jrcade,

which browser are u using.

Cheers,

David
    David Parry
    SmugMug API Developer
    My Photos
  • Options
    jrcadejrcade Registered Users Posts: 7 Big grins
    edited November 27, 2006
    David,

using IE7...

Thanks.

Also, here's a screen shot of when it always seems to freeze on me (on the first thumbnail process)...

capture.jpg

devbobo wrote:
    hi jrcade,

which browser are u using.

Cheers,

David
  • Options
    b-grinnerb-grinner Registered Users Posts: 457 Major grins
    edited December 13, 2006
    Hey Dev,

I am told to post here to get updates from you. I am intending to install the BZT hack. Just want to make sure I get the most current version. Can you supply for me please?

Thanks and I loog forward to your reply.

...B:D
    ...The Cyberphotog:D

edited December 13, 2006
    b-grinner wrote:
    Hey Dev,

I am told to post here to get updates from you. I am intending to install the BZT hack. Just want to make sure I get the most current version. Can you supply for me please?

Thanks and I loog forward to your reply.

...B:D

hey B,

The most recent version should be linked in the original post of this thread.

If you have any problems accessing the files, please let me know.

Cheers,

David
    David Parry
    SmugMug API Developer
    My Photos
  • Options
    edited December 13, 2006
    devbobo wrote:
    hey B,

The most recent version should be linked in the original post of this thread.

If you have any problems accessing the files, please let me know.

Cheers,

David
    Hi David,

Thanks for tip. I grabbed the files and installed them as directed. However, not sure if it is working. I saw the 'Bulk Zoom Thumbnail' option so I figured the software is working. When I selected the option I the screen displayed the photos. They were listed vertically along left side of screen. Is this behaviour correct? Also after I chose 1 x 1 thumbnail size it then said updating 1 of 15 yet I have over 340 pictures in gallery.

Is this hack working as it is supposed too? Let me know.

Also what size do you recommend for the thumbnails so they are not too big?

I look forward to your reply.

..b-grinner:D

edited December 13, 2006
    b-grinner wrote:
    Hi David,

Thanks for tip. I grabbed the files and installed them as directed. However, not sure if it is working. I saw the 'Bulk Zoom Thumbnail' option so I figured the software is working. When I selected the option I the screen displayed the photos. They were listed vertically along left side of screen. Is this behaviour correct? Also after I chose 1 x 1 thumbnail size it then said updating 1 of 15 yet I have over 340 pictures in gallery.

Is this hack working as it is supposed too? Let me know.

Also what size do you recommend for the thumbnails so they are not too big?

I look forward to your reply.

..b-grinner:D

ok, firstly....the hack only works on visible images...therefore if you are using smugmug, smugmug small or traditional styles it will only work on the ones visible on that page. So if you are zooming a lot of thumbs, it is best to choose the All Thumbs style at least while you are zooming them.

To honest, I actually don't use my hack that much myself...but my preference is 1x1.

btw, what browser are u using ?

Cheers,

David
    David Parry
    SmugMug API Developer
    My Photos
  • Options
    edited December 13, 2006
    devbobo wrote:
    ok, firstly....the hack only works on visible images...therefore if you are using smugmug, smugmug small or traditional styles it will only work on the ones visible on that page. So if you are zooming a lot of thumbs, it is best to choose the All Thumbs style at least while you are zooming them.

To honest, I actually don't use my hack that much myself...but my preference is 1x1.

btw, what browser are u using ?

Cheers,

David

Thanks David,

I have to say I think this is the best support forum I have ever been in. The amount of support and the instant response is amazing!!

So your saying you can change your style just to let the BZT change the size all of the thumbnails and then set back to what I had originally?

I am using FF2. Should I be using IE?

...b

edited December 13, 2006
    b-grinner wrote:
    Thanks David,

I have to say I think this is the best support forum I have ever been in. The amount of support and the instant response is amazing!!

So your saying you can change your style just to let the BZT change the size all of the thumbnails and then set back to what I had originally?
    Yes.

...b
    Heaven forbid. FF all the way.
  • Options
    edited December 13, 2006
    b-grinner wrote:
    Thanks David,

Thanks. :D

I can't talk for everyone here....but i am here cuz I love photography...i learn alot here from people with more knowledge than myself. And being a technical type person I enjoy giving stuff back to the community.
    b-grinner wrote:
    yes
    b-grinner wrote:
    hell no eek7.gif

it's just that there are some settings that you can configure in FF to make the requests execute quicker. I need to find the settings.

Cheers,

David
    David Parry
    SmugMug API Developer
    My Photos
  • Options
    edited December 13, 2006
    b-grinner wrote:
    I am using FF2.

And since you're using FF let me shamelessy plug my FF extension for SmugMug
    David Parry
    SmugMug API Developer
    My Photos
  • Options
    edited December 13, 2006
    devbobo wrote:
    And since you're using FF let me shamelessy plug my FF extension for SmugMug
    Thanks again David. So here is what happened. Switched it to 'All Thumbs' and ran the tool. Ran much smoother this time until...

It looks like it cycles through all the photos and then when done then it shows 'Processing thumbnail 1 of 32' and just stays there. Almost if it is hung up on something. Any ideas on what this behaviour is about?

...B

edited December 13, 2006
    b-grinner wrote:
    Thanks again David. So here is what happened. Switched it to 'All Thumbs' and ran the tool. Ran much smoother this time until...

It looks like it cycles through all the photos and then when done then it shows 'Processing thumbnail 1 of 32' and just stays there. Almost if it is hung up on something. Any ideas on what this behaviour is about?

...B

Spoke too soon. Just went back to my site and it was completed. All photos resized and looking goooood. So it is working as programmed. Thanks again David.!!!clap.gif

edited December 13, 2006
    b-grinner wrote:

...B

ok...

1. check that Originals is enabled for the that album/gallery
    2. Open another tab in FF
    3. type about:config into the address bar and press enter
    4. type http into the filter box.
    5. change the value of network.http.max-connections to something like 48
    6. change the value of network.http.max-connections-per-server to something like 24.
    7. Then retry the bulk zoom.

Cheers,

David
    David Parry
    SmugMug API Developer
    My Photos
This discussion has been closed.