Options

The Car Talk Thread

Comments

• Options
    marlinspikemarlinspike Registered Users Posts: 2,095 Major grins
    edited April 17, 2007
    Yup thats the vortech 4300 and thats kinda not normal from what I have seen. My first 4300 lasted till 153k and the oil pump went, but to be fair I knew it was going and didn't replace it like I should have so that cost me the engine. The second one is close to 153k on it now and still going strong. Everything else on the car is falling apart though. But it does have the original trans with close to 200k on it. But then again that is about to fail too so.

To be fair to the current engine, even when new the car wasn't as smooth as my 380SE is.
  • Options
    dragon300zxdragon300zx Registered Users Posts: 2,575 Major grins
    edited April 17, 2007
    To be fair to the current engine, even when new the car wasn't as smooth as my 380SE is.

What kind of car? And lets face it a chevy isn't going to feel as smooth as a MB... Thats just a fact.
    Everyone Has A Photographic Memory. Some Just Do Not Have Film.
    www.zxstudios.com
    http://creativedragonstudios.smugmug.com
  • Options
    edited April 17, 2007
    What kind of car? And lets face it a chevy isn't going to feel as smooth as a MB... Thats just a fact.

1994 Olds Bravada. Car has been impeccably maintained, needed 3 heater cores, 1 transfer case, 1 engine (first one had the bearings burn out btw), 3 door weatherstrippings, 2 distributor rebuilds, and early in it's life the entire rear drum brake units (i.e. everything that had to do with braking on the rear wheels) needed to be replaced.

By contrast my 1985 Mercedes with 85k more miles on it has needed 1 camshaft, 1 fuel distributor, 1 distributor rebuild, and 1 rear control arm (this we are pretty sure was dealer sabotage...first time it was serviced out of warranty it came back with a very clean hole in the control arm...and to its credit it didn't get replaced until 14 years later). And there is currently no mechanical problem with the car.
  • Options
    tsk1979tsk1979 Registered Users Posts: 937 Major grins
    edited April 18, 2007
    antrieb wrote:
    I'm upgrading to a 280hp engine in my BMW and the old engine has 215hp. I'm selling the engine for $200 including the wiring harness.
    :bash:bash:bash
    In india a silly 200bhp Honda used rebuilt engine ( 100.000 miles) is imported by tuners, and fitted onto your car. Total cost = 4000$+
    :bash:bash:bash
  • Options
    tsk1979tsk1979 Registered Users Posts: 937 Major grins
    edited April 18, 2007
    Thats for all the inputs, Some really enlightning things here. Some facts I have discovered
    1. In india engine swap for performance means a japanese import 200bhp odd, but I guess in the US, its mostly big block engines from the western hemisphere.
    2. Lots of people in India pay ridiclous amounts for silly filters which do not give any gain. The tuning scene is really really uneducated. Anyone remember the "Surbo" thing. Similar scams are run with success because nobody know better.

One last question, I have read that in many cars you can change the mapping in the ECU using software and get 20% more power. Pete's boxes are piggyback chips for diesels. If you remap your old ECU you don't need a chip I think. How much do such software hacks cost. Are they easy to do?
    I also saw ECU reading and writing equipment in the states(OBD-II). How much does that cost?
  • Options
    edited April 18, 2007
    tsk1979 wrote:
    One last question, I have read that in many cars you can change the mapping in the ECU using software and get 20% more power. Pete's boxes are piggyback chips for diesels. If you remap your old ECU you don't need a chip I think. How much do such software hacks cost. Are they easy to do?
    I also saw ECU reading and writing equipment in the states(OBD-II). How much does that cost?

Piggyback or ECU reprogram, both are about $400-$500 (typically if the ECU can be reprogrammed that's all that is offered and if it cannot be reprogrammed then somebody comes out with a piggyback). They do give more power on diesels and turbos, but on naturally aspirated gasoline engine cars, they can only give you a little bit (and on really good cars they can't do anything except remove a top speed limiter if there is one).
  • Options
    mercphotomercphoto Registered Users Posts: 4,550 Major grins
    edited April 18, 2007
    Is the 4.3L Chevy V6 a 90-degree block? A V-6 is notorious for balancing in the first place and 90-degree blocks are the worst. Its why a lot of German 6's are inlines, which can be extremely well balanced.
    Bill Jurasz - Mercury Photography - Cedar Park, TX
    A former sports shooter
    Follow me at: https://www.flickr.com/photos/bjurasz/
    My Etsy store: https://www.etsy.com/shop/mercphoto?ref=hdr_shop_menu
  • Options
    edited April 18, 2007
    mercphoto wrote:
    Is the 4.3L Chevy V6 a 90-degree block? A V-6 is notorious for balancing in the first place and 90-degree blocks are the worst. Its why a lot of German 6's are inlines, which can be extremely well balanced.

Not sure what degree it is but yeah it won't be as smooth or as powerfull as a straight 6. But then again you don't buy chevy for it's "Smooth as a MB ride", you buy it cause you can get it cheap, and beat it to death.
    www.zxstudios.com
  • Options
    edited April 18, 2007
    Not sure what degree it is but yeah it won't be as smooth or as powerfull as a straight 6. But then again you don't buy chevy for it's "Smooth as a MB ride", you buy it cause you can get it cheap, and beat it to death.

Well, it was like $28k in 1994 and while it hasn't ever been beat it's died a couple of times.
  • Options
    edited April 20, 2007
    Well, it was like $28k in 1994 and while it hasn't ever been beat it's died a couple of times.
    Ahhh Yeah I never buy chevy's brand new. And going by todays chevy prices as compared to MB's prices chevys are considerably cheaper.

But then again the 4.3 that was in my 94 astro went almost 12 years and 175k miles before it died. You simply had a bad engine in your brevada it happens, even to MB's sometimes.
    www.zxstudios.com
  • Options
    edited April 21, 2007
    Can someone explain this front-wheel drive fetish so many car makers have to me? Imagine a Citroen C6 with the 2.7 turbo diesel in rear wheel drive. Or Lincoln MKZ in rear wheel drive. Or an Alfa 159 or 156. I mean, not every car has to be a hot rod, these would all be very solid cars if only they were rear wheel drive. So what's the attraction of front wheel drive?
  • Options
    gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited April 21, 2007
    Can someone explain this front-wheel drive fetish so many car makers have to me? Imagine a Citroen C6 with the 2.7 turbo diesel in rear wheel drive. Or Lincoln MKZ in rear wheel drive. Or an Alfa 159 or 156. I mean, not every car has to be a hot rod, these would all be very solid cars if only they were rear wheel drive. So what's the attraction of front wheel drive?

I dont know about the others but from ever possible angle i get any info at all about citoens ...the main advantage of front wheel drive in a citroen is that it will get you almost a full body length further into the repair shop for warranty work before it craps itself.
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,913 moderator
    edited April 21, 2007
    gus wrote:
    I dont know about the others but from ever possible angle i get any info at all about citoens ...the main advantage of front wheel drive in a citroen is that it will get you almost a full body length further into the repair shop for warranty work before it craps itself.

It's French. Right after the English, the next crappy car lol3.gif
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited April 21, 2007
    ian408 wrote:
    It's French. Right after the English, the next crappy car lol3.gif
    The sad part is that i very nearly bought a C4.

Why ? because my wife looked at one & wanted it...that simple. I went down to look at it with her...'meh its just another car' so i walked into the showroom & asked for a brochure on it so we could go home & my wife could choose a colour. The sales woman said certainly just give me your contact details first. I said no..i keep that info private & you will know as soon as i pay you for it anyway.

She said "well without that i cant give you a brochure" I said fine then i'll leave, which we did. We walked to VW 200 yards down the road..they made us a good coffee & gave me a nice donut (a real one with custard in it, not some cheap supermarket one) gave us the keys to a demo diesel turbo to test...took my trade away & came back with a reasonable offer...and i bought one there on the spot. Its a company car that always gets sold before it needs tyres..like i care.

Silly part is that i could easily have lied about my name & phone number but i choose to tell people that i protect that info from large companys ..its my right.

I didnt waste it though as i sat & thought about it for a few days & then rang the dealer principle & told him why i now am buying a VW. How stupid is all this for gods sake ne_nau.gif
  • Options
    Bayer-Z28Bayer-Z28 Registered Users Posts: 392 Major grins
    edited April 21, 2007
    Need Next car decision help
    I need an unbiased opinion. I can't ask this on my Camaro board I frequent, I'll get flamed.

(I take it this is still the 'lounge')

ok... My Camaro Is almost paid off, $14k in mods. Pics at end of post. Here is what I am concidering. I want another sparts car BAD.

-Mitsubishi EVO VIII
    (AWESOME VID!) http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-5109340410846526727&q=evo+top+gear+lamborghini
    -Corvette ZO6, 03 or newer. I'm bitten! My buddy let me drive his wife's vette. I'm hooked!
    -GSXR 600 or 750 (Bike, would be my first.)

OR

2009 Camaro
    2005385870053611530_rs.jpg

......................... That is were my problem is. I am a HUGE gear head and automotive FANATIC!! If I ask on my Camaro boards, they will of course say the new Camaro and flame me for any other choice. I am totally psyched about the new camaro, but I can wait to get one. I am getting a beater truck to haul my 4 wheeler around with, that will be paid for no problem.

Pics of my 2000 Camaro Z28. Info @ www.cardomain.com/ride/463707 or www.fquick.com/35057

2001409092193802218_rs.jpg

2001473310579904197_rs.jpg

2006325137946765013_rs.jpg
    Auto enthusiast. I drive a 2000 Camaro Z28. LOADED w/ mods.

Camera: Nikon D80, 18-55 f3.5 stocker & 18-200 Nikon VR.... with a small collection of filters..

My Smugmug.. STILL Under construction.
    http://bayer-Z28.smugmug.com
  • Options
    z_28z_28 Registered Users Posts: 956 Major grins
    edited April 21, 2007
    At this time - till 2009 or so (nobody really knows) -
    buy Z06 - it's awesome car.

You will buy new Camaro later :D

Greetings
    z_28
    1995 Z28, M6, T-top, no mods at all, all pure original
    D300, D70s, 10.5/2.8, 17-55/2.8, 24-85/2.8-4, 50/1.4, 70-200VR, 70-300VR, 60/2.8, SB800, SB80DX, SD8A, MB-D10 ...
    XTi, G9, 16-35/2.8L, 100-300USM, 70-200/4L, 19-35, 580EX II, CP-E3, 500/8 ...
    DSC-R1, HFL-F32X ... ; AG-DVX100B and stuff ... (I like this 10 years old signature :^)
  • Options
    edited April 21, 2007
    gus wrote:
    The sales woman said certainly just give me your contact details first. I said no..i keep that info private & you will know as soon as i pay you for it anyway.

A lot of dealers in the US do that same thing (basically any dealer that doesn't sell fancy cars). I don't get it either, I know that has lost places sales to my dad.
  • Options
    edited April 22, 2007
    If you had $30k to spend and were buying a car that would be for the track plus the occasional weekend drive, what would you get (need not be a new car, any year will do). Also, current day parts/mods availability is pretty important.
  • Options
    edited April 22, 2007
    If you had $30k to spend and were buying a car that would be for the track plus the occasional weekend drive, what would you get (need not be a new car, any year will do). Also, current day parts/mods availability is pretty important.

Thats easy

04 or 05 Nissan 350Z Track edition Sunset Orange

You'd even have money left for mods like a twin turbo kit or supercharger.
    www.zxstudios.com
  • Options
    edited April 22, 2007
    Thats easy

04 or 05 Nissan 350Z Track edition Sunset Orange

You'd even have money left for mods like a twin turbo kit or supercharger.

I think I should have added a disclaimer: no cars without a soul. If he wanted something along those lines he'd just get that 996 Porsche 911 we tested. Coming from you I would have expected to hear like Supra or something like that at least (I should probably also add he's got enough Japanese cars, and he likes handling so that sorta throws American cars out, leaving German, some British, Italian).
  • Options
    edited April 22, 2007
    Bayer-Z28 wrote:
    ok... My Camaro Is almost paid off, $14k in mods. Pics at end of post. Here is what I am concidering. I want another sparts car BAD.

-Mitsubishi EVO VIII
    (AWESOME VID!) http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-5109340410846526727&q=evo+top+gear+lamborghini
    -Corvette ZO6, 03 or newer. I'm bitten! My buddy let me drive his wife's vette. I'm hooked!
    -GSXR 600 or 750 (Bike, would be my first.)

OR

2009 Camaro

How did I miss your post earlier? Or was it posted somewhere else and then moved?

Anyways, IIRC that Camaro is going to be a pig of a car (i.e. heavy). The C6 Z06's are hell anywhere but on the track, though the C5's are ok if you like that sort of thing. Judging by your current car I'd say C5 Z06.
  • Options
    edited April 22, 2007
    I think I should have added a disclaimer: no cars without a soul. If he wanted something along those lines he'd just get that 996 Porsche 911 we tested. Coming from you I would have expected to hear like Supra or something like that at least (I should probably also add he's got enough Japanese cars, and he likes handling so that sorta throws American cars out, leaving German, some British, Italian).

Well a supra TT is great a 300ZX TT would be even better as those have one hell of a soul.
    www.zxstudios.com
  • Options
    edited April 22, 2007
    Ok, apparently we weren't thinking crazy enough. Think Caterham Super 7.
  • Options
    mercphotomercphoto Registered Users Posts: 4,550 Major grins
    edited April 23, 2007
    By "track" I'm assuming you don't mean autocross or SCCA road racing, correct? Both will have restrictions on allowed modifications, and the local availability of racing classes will probably factor in as much with car decision as anything else.

Cars I'd consider: used C5 Corvette, slightly used Honda S2000 (although mods aren't very available or cheap), WRX. Not sure what Porsche's or how old you'd need to go to get under your price.
    Bill Jurasz - Mercury Photography - Cedar Park, TX
    A former sports shooter
    Follow me at: https://www.flickr.com/photos/bjurasz/
    My Etsy store: https://www.etsy.com/shop/mercphoto?ref=hdr_shop_menu
  • Options
    edited April 23, 2007
    mercphoto wrote:
    By "track" I'm assuming you don't mean autocross or SCCA road racing, correct? Both will have restrictions on allowed modifications, and the local availability of racing classes will probably factor in as much with car decision as anything else.

Cars I'd consider: used C5 Corvette, slightly used Honda S2000 (although mods aren't very available or cheap), WRX. Not sure what Porsche's or how old you'd need to go to get under your price.

You could get a 1999 Porsche 996 in under that price, but he wants something more bare bones-ish.

All of the autocross and SCCA races I've seen always had an open class, as long as you are willing to play with the big dogs...is this not usually the case?

I know it's not really bare bones but I think what I'm pushing is an e24 M6 helped out by Korman.
  • Options
    edited April 29, 2007
    Grrrr, some people have no idea what they are doing when they detail cars. I knew there was a problem with the car when I bought it. The person who detailed it used way to much water and the carpets where soaked. Well I just spent most of the day taking half the interior out of the car to dry it all out and clean it up, luckily there wasn't much damage from it. I still have to do it one more time and work on the other half of the car. Never again will I let someone else do anything on my car. The worst part is I'm wasting all of this time on a GM product but if I don't I won't be able to make this car last as my daily driver for the next few years.

Detailing a car is not like mopping a floor you don't need to use gallons of water on the inside of it........
    www.zxstudios.com
  • Options
    edited April 29, 2007
    Who in the world uses water when cleaning the inside? You sure there isn't some massive seal leak?

Also, yeah, I always try to do as much as possible myself, and when I don't all too often I regret it.
  • Options
    edited April 29, 2007
    Who in the world uses water when cleaning the inside? You sure there isn't some massive seal leak?

Also, yeah, I always try to do as much as possible myself, and when I don't all too often I regret it.

No they used water. I know the guy who did it personally. I let him have it and he told me that was just how you do it. To which I said "And thats why you will never detail my car again".
    www.zxstudios.com
  • Options
    edited May 6, 2007
    Things are coming along http://davidson.smugmug.com/gallery/2806646 (no that's not me in the first picture).
  • Options
    DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited May 6, 2007
    Things are coming along http://davidson.smugmug.com/gallery/2806646 (no that's not me in the first picture).
    i was gonna say something like "wow, what a good clean lookin' engine" until I realized who I was talkin to. :D

so am I still allowed to post in here now that I don't have a car anymore?
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]