Options

In Memoriam: Ginger Jones

Comments

• Options
    NirNir Registered Users Posts: 1,400 Major grins
    edited May 7, 2007
    oh, ginger!
    really shocked and deeply saddened! i had no clue.
    i will truly miss you!

Nir Alon

images of my thoughts
  • Options
    Tessa HDTessa HD Registered Users Posts: 852 Major grins
    edited May 7, 2007
    My condolences,
    How very sad. I always enjoyed seeing her posts. She was such a strong presence here and made me feel very welcome. Truly remarkable woman. I will miss her.

My condolences to her family, as well as her family of dgrinners.

Tessa HD Campbell
    Love to dream, and dream in color.

www.tessa-hd.smugmug.com
    www.printandportfolio.com
    This summer's wilderness photography project: www.tessa-hd.smugmug.com/gallery/3172341
  • Options
    GraphyFotozGraphyFotoz Registered Users Posts: 2,267 Major grins
    edited May 7, 2007
    VERY saddened and shocked as I just found out about all this. :cry
    You will be greatly missed!
    You were and still are a great inspiration to me and my Photography.
    I'll do my best to equal your great Nature Shots.
    I'm sure God is proud of you for making us aware of what He created.

Look forward to finally meeting you someday on the other side. thumb.gif
    Canon 60D | Nikon Cooloix P7700
    Manfrotto Mono | Bag- LowePro Slingshot 100AW

http://www.graphyfotoz.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    AndymanAndyman Registered Users Posts: 267 Major grins
    edited May 7, 2007
    What in the world... I leave for a few months while away at school, only to return and find that Ginger is gone?

: (

What can one say? I didn't know her personally, but she's definately a personality that will be missed around here.
    Nikon D50
    Tamron AF18-200mm F3.5-6.3 XR Di II LD
    Tamron SP AF17-50mm F/2.8 XR Di II LD Aspherical
    Nikon 60mm f/2.8D AF Micro-Nikkor
    Nikon SB-800 Speedlight
  • Options
    amy wilburnamy wilburn Registered Users Posts: 83 Big grins
    edited May 7, 2007
    oh my gosh
    what a shock, how sad

I really can't say anything that everyone else hasn't already said. She was very sweet. I'll miss her.
  • Options
    richterslrichtersl Registered Users Posts: 3,322 Major grins
    edited May 7, 2007
    I saw the link and was hoping it wasn't who I thought it was. How sad. :cry

Ginger's work was exquisite, something to aspire to.

May you rest in peace in the arms of our Lord.
  • Options
    cletuscletus Registered Users Posts: 1,930 Major grins
    edited May 7, 2007
    I don't know what to say.

We'll miss you Ginger.
  • Options
    evorywareevoryware Registered Users Posts: 1,330 Major grins
    edited May 7, 2007
    pathfinder wrote:
    I suspect this image was a favorite of hers also. I know it is of mine.

143363401-L.jpg

She will be sorely missed.
    I would like to buy a print of that.
    I'm still fairly new here, but I do remember a couple of her pictures standing out to me, most notably this one:

57751817-L-1.jpg

My condolences go out.
    Canon 40D : Canon 400D : Canon Elan 7NE : Canon 580EX : 2 x Canon 430EX : Canon 24-70 f2.8L : Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L USM : Canon 28-135mm f/3.5 IS : 18-55mm f/3.5 : 4GB Sandisk Extreme III : 2GB Sandisk Extreme III : 2 x 1GB Sandisk Ultra II : Sekonik L358

dak.smugmug.com
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited May 7, 2007
    fc1pierce wrote:
    I came on line tonight to have a moment with my mother and her photos. Instead I find all these posts from friends around the world. I read the kind words of Andy and those whom she has shared the "Dgrin" world. To me my mother was always taking photos. As a child she posed us here and there and everywhere in search of that special picture. My dad built her a darkroom in our second bathroom. Strips of film hung everywhere, chemicals reaked throughout the house, the Besseler Projector towered above the toilet. From all this I have a box of photos I treasure and carry everywhere. Throughout the years my mother was always there flitting around the room taking photos. She nearly drove me crazy ducking and weaving through the crowd clicking away on her Nikormat. In the last several years she would excitedly e-mail us about the latest challenge and how she was going to either win or lose. I would link to her thread and find the most amazing photos by her and her friends and only wish I had been born with her skill and ability to capture the magic of the moment. I asked her recently why the obssesion with photgraphy and getting the shot. She replied it kept her connected with the world (she was deaf) and allowed her to be part of what she could not have. I never have found the time to look at all her photos and probably never will (13000 is a lot with more on her computer and cameras i am sure). Every photo I have seen has convinced me that the State of South Carolina lost it's pre-immiment (sp?) visual historian on Saturday. I believe her family will do her showing for her and any photo bought will help either with funeral expenses or the showing. At this point though we are trying to come to grips with the rapidity of her passing and the shock with which we all feel. I thank the members for their kind comments. I also thank you for giving her the gift of a world in which she was special and connected in a way which she could not in the real world because of her hearing. I believe in the end though she showed us all how to really hear the beauty of this world; just look around. I can not wait to see her showing in God's Gallery (he must have been tired of the old photos).

Thanks for letting me ramble, her oldest son Scottclap.gif

Scott, thanks for stopping by to share a moment with us. Your mother was a unique and wonderful person.

My deepest condolences. Please take care.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    indiegirlindiegirl Registered Users Posts: 930 Major grins
    edited May 7, 2007
    Bright blessings to you, Ginger. The world is a better place because of you.

Thank you for the inspiration.

Jesse
  • Options
    loiloi Registered Users Posts: 141 Major grins
    edited May 7, 2007
    to whom it may concern,
    my condolences for your friend and colleague, Ginger;
    it's very sad... even though i have not met her, she sounds like a great person;

sincerely,
    loi
    "We sit together, the mountain and me, until only the mountain remains." Li Po
    http://loi.smugmug.com/gallery/3539566#199917032
  • Options
    Lee MasseyLee Massey Registered Users Posts: 274 Major grins
    edited May 7, 2007
    Wow.. How upsetting... Although I never knew Ginger very well, she seemed like a kind geniune person always trying to improve her photography... I always enjoyed reading her long posts which put a smile on my face. :D

God bless Ginger and her family... iloveyou.gif

On a side note to Andy and the Smugmug team... What you are doing is great... A real classy thing to do... thumb.gif

Thanks,

Lee
  • Options
    loiloi Registered Users Posts: 141 Major grins
    edited May 7, 2007
    DavidTO wrote:
    EDIT: Here is Ginger's Son Scott, he's posted down below in this thread, but we're adding it up top here so that he's not missed by anyone:
    Hi Scott, and family;
    very sorry about your loss;
    God bless her Soul
    Regards
    loi
    "We sit together, the mountain and me, until only the mountain remains." Li Po
    http://loi.smugmug.com/gallery/3539566#199917032
  • Options
    kingmamaof2kingmamaof2 Registered Users Posts: 195 Major grins
    edited May 7, 2007
    :cry I really don't know what to say but that my condolences and prayers go out to her family. I don't post much here on dgrin but reading her posts and seeing her images always brought a smile to my face. She will be greatly missed here.
  • Options
    tmlphototmlphoto Registered Users Posts: 1,444 Major grins
    edited May 7, 2007
    Ginger's enthusiasm for photography and her unpretentious candor will always be a part of the Dgrin community. She was an inspiration to us all. Thanks for sharing your photos and your life with us. You will be missed.
    Thomas :D

TML Photography
    tmlphoto.com
  • Options
    SeefutlungSeefutlung Registered Users Posts: 2,781 Major grins
    edited May 7, 2007
    Like most of us, I never met Ginger, but I knew her, her dogs, her husband and her photography. I knew her as a very nice person (period). In this world finding a truly and completely "nice" person is a treasure ... one that I will miss.

My condolences to her family. I will remember Ginger in thought and in prayer.

In reflection, I know that her family will miss her ... but in tribute to Ginger ... people around the world will miss her also.

Gary
    My snaps can be found here:
    Unsharp at any Speed
  • Options
    anwmn1anwmn1 Registered Users Posts: 3,469 Major grins
    edited May 7, 2007
    Ginger
    Like others here I had never met Ginger or even had much contact with her but her posts and ramblings are as memorable as her photos. It is great that her gallery will be staying around and the offer smugmug has made.

Can't think of a better way to show support for the family than to have one of her prints.

"Enlighten yourself so you may shed light upon others" - I think Ginger has shed a little light upon all of us!

If god had broadband she would still be posting! :D
    "The Journey of life is as much in oneself as the roads one travels"

Aaron Newman

Facebook: Capturing Light and Emotion
  • Options
    John MuellerJohn Mueller Registered Users Posts: 2,555 Major grins
    edited May 7, 2007
    Good bye my friend.
  • Options
    ruttrutt Registered Users Posts: 6,511 Major grins
    edited May 7, 2007
    evoryware wrote:
    I would like to buy a print of that.
    I'm still fairly new here, but I do remember a couple of her pictures standing out to me, most notably this one:

57751817-S-1.jpg

My condolences go out.

One of my all time favorites.
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited May 7, 2007
    The orders from Ginger's gallery are amazing, a huge amount already. I'm sure Ginger's family will really appreciate all your support clap.gif
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited May 7, 2007
  • Options
    StormdancingStormdancing Registered Users Posts: 917 Major grins
    edited May 7, 2007
    I'm really glad Smugmug has made this possible and I'm really proud to be part of the Dgrin family! I'm sure her family will appreciate this kind gesture.

I know which one I want to order now and will be placing my own order.
    Dana
    ** Feel free to edit my photos if you see room for improvement.**
    Use what talents you possess: the woods would be very silent if
    no birds sang there except those that sang best.
    ~Henry Van Dyke
  • Options
    traunerktraunerk Registered Users Posts: 513 Major grins
    edited May 7, 2007
    Always sad to hear such news, but...
    a poetic gesture by andy and the smugmug community to keep alive a spark that glowed brightly. May her family find peace and comfiort in knowing that she was appreciated on many levels by members of this community.

Keith
    Beam me outta here!:winkKT
  • Options
    ChrisJChrisJ Registered Users Posts: 2,164 Major grins
    edited May 8, 2007
    I was so saddened to hear this news... hard to gather my thoughts. When I first joined Dgrin, she always seemed kind of like the resident "Mom" here. That is, if my mom could use the Internet, she might be like Ginger, smile. She always wanted so bad for her images to be well liked, so when one was (more often than not!), she was always so delighted. The interjections about her day, her family, and her thoughts brought her personality to life. So honest, so true. If more people were like her, the world would be a better place.

I always wished I could meet her, and I'm so glad that I did.

God bless, God speed, God rest your soul.
    Chris
  • Options
    gluwatergluwater Registered Users Posts: 3,599 Major grins
    edited May 8, 2007
    Sometimes we don't realize what we have until it is gone. We can all learn from Gingers tenacity and unwavering effort to better her art. South Carolina has lost a great local artist. She truely loved her local wetlands and people, showing that love through the great images she captured and painstakingly processed until they were perfect. Thanks to Andy and Smugmug for letting her images live on for generations to enjoy. My condolences go out to her family, friends, and dogs :ginger.
    Nick
    SmugMug Technical Account Manager
    Travel = good. Woo, shooting!
    nickwphoto
  • Options
    gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited May 8, 2007
    rutt wrote:
    One of my all time favorites.
    Absolutely mine as well. That is def one of my all time favorites on d/grin. I remember the day she posted it & she was quite lay back about it & i kept thinking...WOW !!
  • Options
    TylerWTylerW Registered Users Posts: 428 Major grins
    edited May 8, 2007
    Goodness, this is terribly heartbreaking.

I lost my own mother to illness over eleven years ago - shortly before I began to really take off with my photography. And while I know that she is always watching, I still find myself compelled to go and shoot to make images to loud and beautiful that she simply could not ignore them.

There's something incredibly gentle and wonderful about this image. I'm sure the same is true for the one who created it.

40731679-M.jpg

May god's love be with you, Ginger.
    http://www.tylerwinegarner.com

Canon 40d | Canon 17-40 f/4L | Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8 | Canon 50mm f/1.8 | Canon 70-200mm f/4 L
  • Options
    RistyzRistyz Registered Users Posts: 58 Big grins
    edited May 8, 2007
    I didn't know Ginger but it's always very sad to lose such an enthusiastic person with a seemingly huge passion for life and photography.

My condolences to those that did know her.
  • Options
    KattKatt Registered Users Posts: 30 Big grins
    edited May 8, 2007
    I logged on today to browse through my usual favourites, Ginger being my favourite. I was shocked and really saddened to hear of her passing. My thoughts and prayers are with her family. She was obviously very special, it shone through her photos.
  • Options
    ruttrutt Registered Users Posts: 6,511 Major grins
    edited May 8, 2007
    Andy wrote:

Can we add stuff to the blog, Andy? I have so many great Ginger stories and favorite shots. Is that blog or this thread the right place for them, in your opinion?
    If not now, when?