Options

Andy's Un-Official Unsolicited Mac Advice Thread

Comments

• Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited November 12, 2007
    Why not just use Keychain Access? How do those other PW apps differ? I've never looked into that. Learn me! ear.gif
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    CatOneCatOne Registered Users Posts: 957 Major grins
    edited November 12, 2007
    DavidTO wrote:
    Why not just use Keychain Access? How do those other PW apps differ? I've never looked into that. Learn me! ear.gif

1Password uses the OS X Keychain. It can auto-fill passwords and forms; it has a browser plug-in.

It's a bit of a win for convenience, but personally I used it and stopped using it because I just go to Keychain Access and look up any passwords that I happen to forget. If think if I were more disciplined and used 1Password's extra features more (e.g. it can auto-generate a STRONG password for you for a site, and have a unique password for each site) it would be worth it, but ::shrug::
  • Options
    edited November 12, 2007
    wxwax wrote:

Gus, I can show you a link to a $30,000 pair of speaker cables but it doesn't necessarily mean that speaker cables are more expensive than cars mwink.gif
  • Options
    MooreDrivenMooreDriven Registered Users Posts: 260 Major grins
    edited November 12, 2007
    CatOne wrote:
    1Password uses the OS X Keychain. It can auto-fill passwords and forms; it has a browser plug-in.

According to the website, it uses both the OS X Keychain, and it's own encryption to ensure your information is a little more secure. The same was true with Roboform on the PC. I also like the fact that it will generate a strong password for you, and automatically save the password.

Now I'm considering a firewall. My router has a firewall built in, but if I'm on a public network, I would prefer to have a bit more protection. Any recommendations?
  • Options
    edited November 12, 2007
    According to the website, it uses both the OS X Keychain, and it's own encryption to ensure your information is a little more secure. The same was true with Roboform on the PC. I also like the fact that it will generate a strong password for you, and automatically save the password.

Now I'm considering a firewall. My router has a firewall built in, but if I'm on a public network, I would prefer to have a bit more protection. Any recommendations?

What's wrong with the built-in firewall?

You also might consider Little Snitch.
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    edited November 12, 2007
    A cool little hack/workaround for one of my least favorite aspects of Leopard.
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    edited November 12, 2007
    DavidTO wrote:
    What's wrong with the built-in firewall?

You also might consider Little Snitch.

I don't know that anything is wrong with the built-in firewall. I think it stems from my lack of trust developed from years in the Windows world. Little Snitch looks interesting. I'll give it a try.

Thanks for the info.
  • Options
    edited November 12, 2007
    I don't know that anything is wrong with the built-in firewall. I think it stems from my lack of trust developed from years in the Windows world. Little Snitch looks interesting. I'll give it a try.

Thanks for the info.

re: firewall.

advanced>stealth mode mwink.gif
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    edited November 13, 2007
    Meet Bento.

Personal database program by Filemaker. Integrates with iCal, Address Book....looks pretty good.
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    cabbeycabbey Registered Users Posts: 1,053 Major grins
    edited November 13, 2007
    DavidTO wrote:
    A cool little hack/workaround for one of my least favorite aspects of Leopard.

Oh man, I've been hacking around trying to come up with something similar for a while now, but those icons are just too gorgeous to resist. Combined with the pref to turn glass mode off and the Dock is back to being useful and no longer causing me to become violently ill. Thanks!!
    SmugMug Sorcerer - Engineering Team Champion for Commerce, Finance, Security, and Data Support
    http://wall-art.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    edited November 13, 2007

Yeah, not sure how it can be "more secure" than the keychain. Other than the stuff isn't human readable via Keychain Access, but it's totally wide open via their GUI to it (argh). Means migrating *away* from it is a PITA.

As far as a firewall... your router's firewall is fine. OS X doesn't really *need* a firewall as by default there aren't any services listening (no NetBIOS, thanks ;-) In turning on the firewall, you're just blocking ports that aren't listening anyway... so you're not going to get much. If you want outbound connection monitoring, there are tools like Little Snitch but Spyware isn't currently an issue so I don't know that they're worth it.

The OS X firewall in Leopard is also a bit goofy. It has application signing built in, and I think the technology is a bit green right now. OS X will actually sign some unsigned applications, and this breaks them. One that has been broken is World of Warcraft. This will be addressed soon, but IMO right now the Leopard firewall is best left... turned off mwink.gif
  • Options
    edited November 13, 2007
    CatOne,

Your post really confused me. If I understand you correctly, your saying that Keychain is unsecure, and the firewall is better turned off? Huh!headscratch.gif Maybe I'm missing something here.

It's been a long day. Between work and trying to figure out a personal finance solution on the Mac, I'm fried! Quicken for the Mac is a POS. Very frustrated I did not look into this further before making the leap.
  • Options
    edited November 13, 2007
    CatOne,

Your post really confused me. If I understand you correctly, your saying that Keychain is unsecure, and the firewall is better turned off? Huh!headscratch.gif Maybe I'm missing something here.

It's been a long day. Between work and trying to figure out a personal finance solution on the Mac, I'm fried! Quicken for the Mac is a POS. Very frustrated I did not look into this further before making the leap.

I believe he's saying that KeyChain Access is secure. The other not so much. It opens up a vulnerability.

For the firewall, if the ports aren't listening, where's the need is the question he's asking.
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited November 14, 2007
    So how do i set a home page ? Ive had a look & cant see it headscratch.gif

Its defaulted to Apple atm & i want Google.
  • Options
    edited November 14, 2007
    gus wrote:
    So how do i set a home page ? Ive had a look & cant see it headscratch.gif

Its defaulted to Apple atm & i want Google.

Which browser? mwink.gif

Safari: navigate to page, open preferences, general tab, click "set to current page" button.

Camino: open preferences, general tab, type url into Home Page box, or drag and drop from bookmarks or current location bar.

Firefox: pretty much either of the above... just go to main tab instead of general tab, and use the similar and obviously named button.

So here's a great mac tip for you. apple-comma, aka "⌘," is the "open preferences" keyboard shortcut. All well behaved Mac apps use that, I'm not sure the Apple development environment will even let you change it. Seriously. All well behaved Mac apps also use their preferences panels for pretty much all configuration options.
    SmugMug Sorcerer - Engineering Team Champion for Commerce, Finance, Security, and Data Support
  • Options
    gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited November 14, 2007
    cabbey wrote:
    Which browser? mwink.gif

Safari: navigate to page, open preferences, general tab, click "set to current page" button.

Safari..tks heaps mate. Done.
  • Options
    colourboxcolourbox Registered Users Posts: 2,095 Major grins
    edited November 14, 2007
    cabbey wrote:
    So here's a great mac tip for you. apple-comma, aka "?," is the "open preferences" keyboard shortcut. All well behaved Mac apps use that, I'm not sure the Apple development environment will even let you change it. Seriously. All well behaved Mac apps also use their preferences panels for pretty much all configuration options.

Except for Adobe apps, which are sticking to the Command-K that they have used since before Apple standardized its prefs shortcut. (Except for Lightroom, which actually uses the Apple shortcut...weird.) At least you can change the Preferences shortcut to match the Apple one in some apps like Photoshop.
  • Options
    QueenQueen Registered Users Posts: 36 Big grins
    edited November 14, 2007
    Can I ask a super basic mac question?
    It's time for a new laptop and I'm considering a mac for the first time...can I open a word document with it? And does it have something like "My Pictures"? Can I have/do both of those things without spending more money? ear.gif
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited November 14, 2007
    Queen wrote:
    It's time for a new laptop and I'm considering a mac for the first time...can I open a word document with it? And does it have something like "My Pictures"? Can I have/do both of those things without spending more money? ear.gif
    It does have something like My Pictures. It also has built-in software to help you play with photos.

I'm sure you can get free software that will open a Word document. But just like on a Windows machine, to actually create a Word doc, you'll need Microsoft's Office for Mac.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    edited November 14, 2007
    wxwax wrote:
    It does have something like My Pictures. It also has built-in software to help you play with photos.

I'm sure you can get free software that will open a Word document. But just like on a Windows machine, to actually create a Word doc, you'll need Microsoft's Office for Mac.
    Thanks Sid. I'm not sure if I'll find the Mac "intuitive" enough for my poor computer skills but I'm playing with a co-workers this week to check it out.
  • Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,937 moderator
    edited November 14, 2007
    Queen wrote:
    It's time for a new laptop and I'm considering a mac for the first time...can I open a word document with it? ear.gif

Not with what comes installed on the machine, but you can get OpenOffice, which will read and write Word files. It's open source software and is free.
  • Options
    edited November 14, 2007
    wxwax wrote:

Actually you can create word documents with several different applications. In addition to MS's Office for Mac:

Pages from iWork (apple) **by far the best of the four options, well worth the $79**

NeoOffice (OpenOffice.org derivative)

OpenOffice (OpenOffice.org)
  • Options
    edited November 14, 2007
    colourbox wrote:
    Except for Adobe apps, which are sticking to the Command-K that they have used since before Apple standardized its prefs shortcut. (Except for Lightroom, which actually uses the Apple shortcut...weird.) At least you can change the Preferences shortcut to match the Apple one in some apps like Photoshop.

Yeah, well, I did say "well behaved".... :D
  • Options
    DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited November 14, 2007
    Queen wrote:
    Thanks Sid. I'm not sure if I'll find the Mac "intuitive" enough for my poor computer skills but I'm playing with a co-workers this week to check it out.
    Yo Queenie, I've now nursed both my mom and MrsIt's mom through the switch to Mac. They said the exact same thing as you, about "intuitive"... booooo! It's basically the same thing, the icons and names are just different. No, really.

I'll bet $100 you are suffering from the same thing as my moms: you're too afraid to just click around and try stuff. I have to keep telling mom: "don't worry, you won't break it by clicking on stuff!"

Also, Apple knows it can be a bit intimidating, check out Switch 101. thumb.gif

If gus can do it, anyone can :hide lol3.gif
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• Options
    edited November 14, 2007
    Queen, check out myfirstmac.com.

And on another note, I'm not allowed to gloat in the Vista thread, but it seems that all they talk about these days is viruses and firewalls. lol3.gif
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    edited November 14, 2007
    DoctorIt wrote:
    Yo Queenie, I've now nursed both my mom and MrsIt's mom through the switch to Mac. They said the exact same thing as you, about "intuitive"... booooo! It's basically the same thing, the icons and names are just different. No, really.

I'll bet $100 you are suffering from the same thing as my moms: you're too afraid to just click around and try stuff. I have to keep telling mom: "don't worry, you won't break it by clicking on stuff!"

Also, Apple knows it can be a bit intimidating, check out Switch 101. thumb.gif

If gus can do it, anyone can :hide lol3.gif
    Listen here you young whippersnapper. :nono

lol3.gif I'll check out my friends and see how it goes.

DavidTO wrote:
    Queen, check out myfirstmac.com.

And on another note, I'm not allowed to gloat in the Vista thread, but it seems that all they talk about these days is viruses and firewalls. lol3.gif
    I spent a week in FL with my folks in March trying to help them get their new computer set up...Vista was designed by SATAN!!! :bluduh
  • Options
    bwgbwg Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,119 SmugMug Employee
    edited November 14, 2007
    Queen wrote:
    Vista was designed by SATAN!!! :bluduh
    So I have a Mac(book pro) already and today got my Mac Pro. Whenever I got a new PC, I had to reinstall all my applications, restore my settings and live w/out all the files I forgot to copy over (after re-imaging the machine to get rid of all the OEM junk).

When I set up my Mac Pro today, I used the Migration Assistant to copy the settings from my laptop...ho-ly-cow. It got *everything*. Applications, files, network settings, preferences, users...even my browser cookies (see note). First time in on the Mac Pro and it was like i'd been using it for a year.

Saved me *days* worth of work getting my computer up and running.

note: It did manage to mangle my password somehow so I couldn't log on. Was able to reset the password using the install disc. After that though, all roses.
    Pedal faster
  • Options
    colourboxcolourbox Registered Users Posts: 2,095 Major grins
    edited November 14, 2007
    rsinmadrid wrote:
    Not with what comes installed on the machine, but you can get OpenOffice, which will read and write Word files. It's open source software and is free.

I set my mom up with NeoOffice which is OpenOffice without all the dependencies. Big and slow but it works and is free.
  • Options
    edited November 14, 2007
    I love Migration Assistant. It's truly great.
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    PoseidonPoseidon Registered Users Posts: 504 Major grins
    edited November 15, 2007
    bigwebguy wrote:
    When I set up my Mac Pro today, I used the Migration Assistant to copy the settings from my laptop...ho-ly-cow. It got *everything*. Applications, files, network settings, preferences, users...even my browser cookies (see note). First time in on the Mac Pro and it was like i'd been using it for a year.

I'll be doing the opposite in a couple of months, I will be getting a MacBook Pro, and I want to copy the programs etc from my MacPro. Will migration assistant leave everything functional on the MacPro? Will it move Lightroom and CS3, and my MS Office to the notebook? Oh, and lastly, will I have to upgrade to Leopard on the MacPro to do this? I was planning on doing that anyway, but not yet....

This would be truly AWESOME, and be a huge time saver for sure!!!
    Mike LaPorte
    Perfect Pix