Options

64 Bit ApertureToSmugMug Plugin

Comments

• Options
    fredpicsfredpics Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited September 23, 2007
    Problem login in with the Aperture plug in
    Hi Peter,

I downloaded the Aperture plug in last week but have been unable to login into smug mug through the plug in, either with my name or email address and whether or or not I am logged into smugmug through the web. Great shame!

Would you have any suggestions please ?
    Thanks a lot
    fred (Australia)
  • Options
    happy-imphappy-imp Registered Users Posts: 28 Big grins
    edited November 13, 2007
    Feature vote
    I second the vote to be able to apply quick settings from Aperture to SmugMug! That way I wouldn't have to login with the browser and set the new gallery settings after creating it.

Great job, btw!
  • Options
    tgelstontgelston Registered Users Posts: 72 Big grins
    edited November 15, 2007
    Where is Plug-in?
    Hello! I am feeling slightly silly - but I download and installed the plug-in w/o problem but I can't seem to find it - I am in Apeture and I don't see anything smugmug related?

Can someone point me in the right direction?

hope I am not missing something TOTALLY obvious.

Thanks,
    Tobias
  • Options
    renaissancekidrenaissancekid Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited November 22, 2007
    tgelston wrote:
    Hello! I am feeling slightly silly - but I download and installed the plug-in w/o problem but I can't seem to find it - I am in Apeture and I don't see anything smugmug related?

Assuming you've also INSTALLED the plug, just go to the FILE menu, and down to EXPORT. You should see an option that says APERTURETOSMUGMUG. Good luck.
  • Options
    renaissancekidrenaissancekid Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited November 22, 2007
    Freezing during Export...
    I'm having issues with stuff freezing up during the upload process. I'm trying to export about 750 pics, but I can't get more than a few to process before the export window freezes. It's usually anywhere from 8 to 15, but has gotten up to as many as 48 once. it's REALLY annoying to have to keep coming back, finding where things froze, then starting again. (Not to mention the fact that Aperture starts re-naming from the top so my numerical sequence is all out of order, and there are some dupes online.) Any ideas?

Thanks,
    jg
  • Options
    fishfish Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited November 25, 2007
    Howdy,

I tried to download and unstuff v0.28 just now and when it tried to unstuff, I got the following error:
    An error ocurred during the Stuff operation.
    Error #17535
    I'm running 10.5.1 and Stuffit Expander v10.0

Suggestions?

Thanks,
    fish
    "Consulting the rules of composition before taking a photograph, is like consulting the laws of gravity before going for a walk." - Edward Weston
    "The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over."-Hunter S.Thompson
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited November 25, 2007
    fish wrote:
    Howdy,

I tried to download and unstuff v0.28 just now and when it tried to unstuff, I got the following error:
    An error ocurred during the Stuff operation.
    Error #17535
    I'm running 10.5.1 and Stuffit Expander v10.0

Suggestions?

Thanks,
    fish
    Update Stuffit?
  • Options
    iammichaeliammichael Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited November 26, 2007
    Keyword quoting
    Just started using both Aperture and SmugMug, and I'm glad this plug-in exists! It certainly makes things much easier. I have run into a few issues or possible improvements and as I remember them, I'll try to provide the feedback here, starting with this post. :)

1) SmugMug has some bizarre rules for keywords (see "The rules" section after expanding "Tell me how to add and edit keywords" on this help page). Exporting an Aperture keyword that doesn't strictly conform to these rules will cause things to get messed up in SmugMug. For example, a keyword of '2007' doesn't appear in the keyword list, 'day 1' shows up as 'day', etc. A work around for this is to edit the keyword in Aperture to include quotes (i.e. use the keyword "2007" instead of 2007) prior to the export, but this isn't an ideal solution in my mind. I don't know whether this is the plug-in or SmugMug itself, but if the plug-in is setting the keywords, could it always (or at least when the keyword doesn't conform to the "rules") enclose the keyword in quotes so the keywords are displayed properly on images in the SmugMug galleries?

2) In Aperture, I plan on keywording photos of family and friends with people's names so I can quickly and easily find all images of that person (possibly with other criteria). For privacy reasons, I'm reluctant to have their names be set as keywords on photos exported to SmugMug. Could there be a way in the export plug-in to exclude all keywords that fall under certain portions of the keyword hierarchy?

3) Someone has already mentioned it, but it'd be nice to be able to "sync" changes to an album in Aperture to SmugMug. I can only imagine how challenging that would be on its own, so maybe a simplified version that just replaces existing photos? For example, when exporting an image with version name "x", the plug-in determines if "x" already exists in the targetted album and, if so, replaces the photo and its metadata with the new version, or if no previous image is found the image is uploaded as a new image for the album. My primary use here would be just for updating keywords; as time allows, I'd like to go back through my photos and re-keyword photos with new classifying keywords. I doubt that Aperture's export plug-in architecture would allow just exporting of keywords as an option, but I think that replacing the full image in the gallery is an acceptable workaround. While deleting and re-uploading is my current workaround (unless I can use the bulk keyword edit feature in SmugMug to manually make the same changes), I don't think it would preserve any existing comments people have made on the old photo.

And, seeing how I'm new to both Aperture and SmugMug (and Digital Grin!), if anyone read any part of the above and said "man, he should be doing X instead of trying to do Y", then please drop be a line and set me straight! :)

Thanks,
    Michael
  • Options
    fishfish Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited November 26, 2007
    Andy wrote:
    Update Stuffit?

That was it. Brand new Leopard system came with Stuffit 10. Current version is Stuffit 12.

Thanks Andy! bowdown.gif
    "Consulting the rules of composition before taking a photograph, is like consulting the laws of gravity before going for a walk." - Edward Weston
    "The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over."-Hunter S.Thompson
  • Options
    edited November 27, 2007
    Yes! thank you.
    Assuming you've also INSTALLED the plug, just go to the FILE menu, and down to EXPORT. You should see an option that says APERTURETOSMUGMUG. Good luck.

Ah - there it is.

Thanks,
    Tobias
  • Options
    pjppjp Registered Users Posts: 20 Big grins
    edited December 11, 2007
    I'm having issues with stuff freezing up during the upload process. I'm trying to export about 750 pics, but I can't get more than a few to process before the export window freezes. It's usually anywhere from 8 to 15, but has gotten up to as many as 48 once. it's REALLY annoying to have to keep coming back, finding where things froze, then starting again. (Not to mention the fact that Aperture starts re-naming from the top so my numerical sequence is all out of order, and there are some dupes online.) Any ideas?

Thanks,
    jg
    I'm encountering the same thing. I've been trying to upload roughly 500 images, and the plugin hangs at various points between a dozen and up to around 100. I'm baffled, because I'm pretty sure I've used the plugin with success before.

If there is a log I could send to David -- if you're reading -- please let me know what to do. I'm obviously self-interested in figuring this out, but it's such a great aid (when working) that I'm really happy to try to help troubleshoot this.

Peter
  • Options
    MacLoyalMacLoyal Registered Users Posts: 71 Big grins
    edited January 20, 2008
    Captions and keywords no longer exporting with ApertureToSmugMug
    I sent a batch of photos to a gallery with this plug in and the photos transferred fine, but no kewords or captions appear in SM.

I'm using a MacPro. In the past I've had success with your plug in. Have you any ideas what's keeping my tags from following and more important, my captions?

I'm having the same failure of words not being exported when using SmugExport.

:help Ivar looked at my galleries and my current exports are stripped completely of metadata. :hang
    macloyal.smugmug.com
  • Options
    edited January 20, 2008
    Hi Peter, can you put our new logo in the app :)

20080120-rund1mca7c5p6x3987teapgt1n.jpg

Here's the correct logo, you find it as an attachment on this wiki page: http://wiki.smugmug.com/display/SmugMug/SmugMugGraphics

Thanks!
  • Options
    peterparkerpeterparker Registered Users Posts: 89 Big grins
    edited January 20, 2008
    MacLoyal wrote:
    I sent a batch of photos to a gallery with this plug in and the photos transferred fine, but no kewords or captions appear in SM.

Can you verify under Aperture -> Presets -> Image Export that the "Include Metadata" checkbox is checked for the export preset you are using?
  • Options
    edited January 20, 2008
    Problem solved!
    Thank you for that tip! I had no clue where to look. That is probably a faster way to solve this problem. I can't check right now because I am resending a batch of photos at this very moment. Here's the way I finally got it fixed:

I searched and posted in several forums before calling Apple Support today. I've discovered the problem with that tech person's guidance. If anyone else faces this dilemma, check your settings here:

Aperture > File > Export Versions

Then you get a pop up box with some drop down menus. The top drop down box has 'Edit' at the bottom of its list. Go into there. You'll have several preferences to choose from (file type, dimensions, quality, etc) and there's a tiny box that accidently got unchecked which says something like: Include Metadata.

clap.gif I can't check it for exact wording because I'm merrily re-exporting right now - Metadata intact! clap.gif
    macloyal.smugmug.com
  • Options
    edited January 20, 2008
    MacLoyal wrote:
    Thank you for that tip! I had no clue where to look. That is probably a faster way to solve this problem. I can't check right now because I am resending a batch of photos at this very moment. Here's the way I finally got it fixed:

I searched and posted in several forums before calling Apple Support today. I've discovered the problem with that tech person's guidance. If anyone else faces this dilemma, check your settings here:

Aperture > File > Export Versions

Then you get a pop up box with some drop down menus. The top drop down box has 'Edit' at the bottom of its list. Go into there. You'll have several preferences to choose from (file type, dimensions, quality, etc) and there's a tiny box that accidently got unchecked which says something like: Include Metadata.

clap.gif I can't check it for exact wording because I'm merrily re-exporting right now - Metadata intact! clap.gif

It's this:

20080120-ra3sw6q6jsis24q3u22hcdrrgu.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 21, 2008
    That's the screen shot I needed last night! At that point I didn't know that setting/preference existed, let alone where to find it. That little box messed me up pretty thoroughly for a bit, but I'm humming along again!

Thanks again, for your efforts to point me in the right direction.
    macloyal.smugmug.com
  • Options
    aquaticvideographeraquaticvideographer Registered Users Posts: 278 Major grins
    edited January 23, 2008
    Feature request for plug-in
    Just a simple feature request...would it be possible to have the plug-in set up so that you could continue to work in Aperture while you upload pics to SmugMug? Sometimes when I am uploading a lot of pics, it would be nice to be able to continue my workflow.

Just a suggestion...this may not be possible. In any case, thanks for writing an awesome plug-in! It's the reason I decided to use SmugMug--it was so easy!
  • Options
    Ken MellottKen Mellott Registered Users Posts: 5 Beginner grinner
    edited February 7, 2008
    Can't get file names to export?
    How can I make that happen? Very frustrating -- feel I have tried everything -- I must have missed something though!
  • Options
    edited February 7, 2008
    Just a simple feature request...would it be possible to have the plug-in set up so that you could continue to work in Aperture while you upload pics to SmugMug? Sometimes when I am uploading a lot of pics, it would be nice to be able to continue my workflow.

Just a suggestion...this may not be possible. In any case, thanks for writing an awesome plug-in! It's the reason I decided to use SmugMug--it was so easy!

Unfortunately it is not possible with the Aperture plugin SDK. Hopefully a future version will use background exports.
  • Options
    fredpicsfredpics Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited February 8, 2008
    Error logging in generated by Aperture
    The main problem that I was trying to solve last October is still the same. The error window is generated by Aperture, whether I am already logged into Smugmug via Safari or not! I would love to upload my aperture pics to smugmug but just can't work out what is going wrong.

I have updated Aperture with the latest updates and was hoping it would improve! I have 0.28 version of the plugin. The error window is generated by Aperture, "error logging in"

Thanks for any suggestions

fred
  • Options
    edited February 8, 2008
    DPI for Export
    Andy wrote:
    It's this:

20080120-ra3sw6q6jsis24q3u22hcdrrgu.jpg

what should the DPI be set on when exporting? I see 72 above. . . I was thinking 300 if I want prints?

Thanks for an excellent plugin!!
  • Options
    edited February 8, 2008
    tgelston wrote:
    what should the DPI be set on when exporting? I see 72 above. . . I was thinking 300 if I want prints?

Doesn't matter, if you are leaving the file in its' original size.

http://dgrin.smugmug.com/gallery/2996921
  • Options
    GarethLewinGarethLewin Registered Users Posts: 95 Big grins
    edited February 8, 2008
    tgelston wrote:

DPI is a ratio of pixels to print size. When you are working in a digital only environment, it doesn't mean anything. As long as your resolution (pixel counts) don't change, your file will be identical.
  • Options
    edited February 8, 2008
    fredpics wrote:
    The main problem that I was trying to solve last October is still the same. The error window is generated by Aperture, whether I am already logged into Smugmug via Safari or not! I would love to upload my aperture pics to smugmug but just can't work out what is going wrong.

I have updated Aperture with the latest updates and was hoping it would improve! I have 0.28 version of the plugin. The error window is generated by Aperture, "error logging in"

Thanks for any suggestions

fred

Sounds like a problem with your login credentials. Can you PM me so we can try a couple of things?
  • Options
    nocturne1nocturne1 Registered Users Posts: 36 Big grins
    edited February 12, 2008
    wow wow wow! With Aperture 2.0, exports are now in the background! And this plugin still seems to work fine! clap.gif
  • Options
    northphotonorthphoto Registered Users Posts: 10 Big grins
    edited February 15, 2008
    Can you upload to multiple galleries??
    I do not have this uploader yet, because I use LR now, but I was wonering, will this upload to multiple galleries at the same time?? for example if I have 8 lacrosse games I need to upload to 8 different galleries, can I upload all of them at the same time by opening multiple uploaders??

Also, is there an option to not upload the same file twice? if anyone has ever used "Send to Smugmug" uploader, there was an option box on the bottom of the uploader to not upload duplicate images, can this also be done with this uploader??

Thanks for all and any help.

Paul.

nocturne1 wrote:
    wow wow wow! With Aperture 2.0, exports are now in the background! And this plugin still seems to work fine! clap.gif
  • Options
    edited February 15, 2008
    northphoto wrote:
    I do not have this uploader yet, because I use LR now, but I was wonering, will this upload to multiple galleries at the same time?? for example if I have 8 lacrosse games I need to upload to 8 different galleries, can I upload all of them at the same time by opening multiple uploaders??

Also, is there an option to not upload the same file twice? if anyone has ever used "Send to Smugmug" uploader, there was an option box on the bottom of the uploader to not upload duplicate images, can this also be done with this uploader??

Thanks for all and any help.

Paul.

I'm not sure how Aperture 2.0 will work in this scenario, but it will presumably let you do multiple exports since they now run in the background.

No there is not an option to avoid duplicates. I'm not sure how to tell if a file already exists at SM.
  • Options
    northphotonorthphoto Registered Users Posts: 10 Big grins
    edited February 15, 2008
    Thanks for the reply, this is a plus if I can upload to multiple galleries at the same time! I am not sure how the "Send To Smugmug" uploader did it, but ther was an option to not upload duplicate images.

one more quick question, have you used Apeture 2.0 yet? In your opinion, do you think it is as fast or faster that LR currently is?? Not sure if you know this or not, just thought I would ask.

thanks again for all your help.

Paul.
    I'm not sure how Aperture 2.0 will work in this scenario, but it will presumably let you do multiple exports since they now run in the background.

No there is not an option to avoid duplicates. I'm not sure how to tell if a file already exists at SM.
  • Options
    edited February 15, 2008
    northphoto wrote:
    Thanks for the reply, this is a plus if I can upload to multiple galleries at the same time! I am not sure how the "Send To Smugmug" uploader did it, but ther was an option to not upload duplicate images.

one more quick question, have you used Apeture 2.0 yet? In your opinion, do you think it is as fast or faster that LR currently is?? Not sure if you know this or not, just thought I would ask.

thanks again for all your help.

Paul.

Unfortunately Aperture 2.0 disables the export options while a pending export is in progress. So exporting to multiple galleries at the same time will not be possible.