Options

New! SmugMug "Stretchy" -- Help, Questions here

Comments

• Options
    natephotonatephoto Registered Users Posts: 140 Major grins
    edited December 5, 2007
    I'm surprised it hasn't been brought up yet.. (or maybe it has and I missed it?)

So it doesn't work in some themes? Including the one I use; carbonite. I spent a lot of time customizing it to fit with my regular, non-smugmug site, so I'm not about to change themes... But will there eventually be support for the themes that don't currently work in stretchy mode??ne_nau.gif

Thanks!
    Nate
    --
    _:nod Nate____
    Canon 1D Mark II N . Canon 20D . Canon Digital Rebel Xti .
    Speedlite 430 EX .
    Canon : 18-55 kit, 75-300 IS, 70-200 IS f/2.8 L .
  • Options
    SheafSheaf Registered Users, SmugMug Product Team Posts: 775 SmugMug Employee
    edited December 5, 2007
    natephoto wrote:
    I'm surprised it hasn't been brought up yet.. (or maybe it has and I missed it?)

So it doesn't work in some themes? Including the one I use; carbonite. I spent a lot of time customizing it to fit with my regular, non-smugmug site, so I'm not about to change themes... But will there eventually be support for the themes that don't currently work in stretchy mode??ne_nau.gif

Thanks!
    Nate

Nate,

We are working on it. We did as many themes as we could for the first batch.
    SmugMug Product Manager
  • Options
    cjyphotocjyphoto Registered Users Posts: 195 Major grins
    edited December 5, 2007
    What happened to stretchy? It used to automatically fit images now it just has the largest size possible and I have to scroll to see the whole image! This is a step way back in my opinion!
    My Pictures : My Gear
    I Reject Your Reality And Substitute My Own - Adam Savage
  • Options
    natephotonatephoto Registered Users Posts: 140 Major grins
    edited December 5, 2007
    Sheaf wrote:
    Nate,

We are working on it. We did as many themes as we could for the first batch.
    Okay thanks!wings.gif
    --
    _:nod Nate____
    Canon 1D Mark II N . Canon 20D . Canon Digital Rebel Xti .
    Speedlite 430 EX .
    Canon : 18-55 kit, 75-300 IS, 70-200 IS f/2.8 L .
  • Options
    edited December 6, 2007
    What is going on here? I appreciate the effort to put stretchy into service but it seems to be causing me problems. Please see the images and comments in the following link.

http://cjyphoto.smugmug.com/gallery/3950239
  • Options
    jackstonejackstone Registered Users Posts: 14 Big grins
    edited December 6, 2007
    I recently stretched my monitor size a little, so I love "stretchy;" however, I'm wondering if this new feature has contributed to my newest non-life-threatening situation: too many thumbnails. All of my galleries are customized to force the "smugmug" style. The larger galleries are forcing up to 35 thumbnails per page, which would be perfect if I had 60" of monitor space on my 48" desk.

http://highcountryregister.smugmug.com/gallery/3927563/1/227999386#227999386

Any thoughts on how I might get back to, say, 15 thumbnails per page would be warmly welcomed. headscratch.gif
  • Options
    jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited December 6, 2007
    jackstone wrote:
    I recently stretched my monitor size a little, so I love "stretchy;" however, I'm wondering if this new feature has contributed to my newest non-life-threatening situation: too many thumbnails. All of my galleries are customized to force the "smugmug" style. The larger galleries are forcing up to 35 thumbnails per page, which would be perfect if I had 60" of monitor space on my 48" desk.

Any thoughts on how I might get back to, say, 15 thumbnails per page would be warmly welcomed. headscratch.gif

Can you describe in more detail what the problem is? The Smugmug style should fill available room in your window with the appropriate size main image and as many thumbs as will fit in your window. Is this what you are seeing? Or something else?

Make your window larger, get more thumbs and a bigger main image. Make your window smaller and get fewer thumbs and a smaller main image. It should all auto-adjust to your window size. The gallery you linked works normally for me. With a medium sized window, I get 15 thumbs. With a larger window, I get more. With a smaller window, I get less.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question
  • Options
    pyrypyry Registered Users Posts: 1,733 Major grins
    edited December 6, 2007
    The new style seems to prefer too small sizes for my liking. I tend to get smalls with a just-a-shade under 1280x1024 window (sidebar open) in firefox. IE7 tends toward the small sizes a bit less (no sidebar).

Forcing SM.SmugMug.config.size = 'large'; seems to help quite a bit, off course this breaks down on narrower window sizes.

I'd like to see a preference (setting) toward even less thumbnails than 3 columns. Letting the footer run out of the window would be fine. Something like having medium as the smallest size allowed would be great as well.

Setting the stretchy off results in 'smugmug small', doesn't it?
    Creativity's hard.

http://pyryekholm.kuvat.fi/
  • Options
    PBolchoverPBolchover Registered Users Posts: 909 Major grins
    edited December 7, 2007
    pyry wrote:
    The new style seems to prefer too small sizes for my liking.

My experience is that the size of the main image is governed more by the height of your browser window, than by its width.
  • Options
    edited December 7, 2007
    jackstone wrote:

Looks like your gallery is messed up just like mine. Not sure what to do. It was working properly when they first rolled it out. The auto does not seem to be working.ne_nau.gif
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited December 7, 2007
    cjyphoto wrote:
    Looks like your gallery is messed up just like mine. Not sure what to do. It was working properly when they first rolled it out. The auto does not seem to be working.ne_nau.gif
    Hi, can you say which gallery please? I looked here
    http://www.cjyphoto.com/gallery/3589777#205384150

and you don't have stretchy turned on....
  • Options
    edited December 7, 2007
    thanks, John...upon further inspection, only two of my galleries are out of whack. All other galleries are 6x5 (30 thumbs) with spacing and these look great. The two in question are 7x5 (35 thumbs) and these stack on top of one another, overlapping on the page. These two galleries are located under the "Mauka-Makai" category. It may be totally un-stretchy related, but the timing made me wonder.

appreciate the response.

highcountryregister.smugmug.com
  • Options
    edited December 7, 2007
    jackstone wrote:
    thanks, John...upon further inspection, only two of my galleries are out of whack. All other galleries are 6x5 (30 thumbs) with spacing and these look great. The two in question are 7x5 (35 thumbs) and these stack on top of one another, overlapping on the page. These two galleries are located under the "Mauka-Makai" category. It may be totally un-stretchy related, but the timing made me wonder.

appreciate the response.

hi Jack - can you give us links directly to the galleries so we can help? Thanks!
  • Options
    edited December 7, 2007
    Andy wrote:
    Hi, can you say which gallery please? I looked here
    http://www.cjyphoto.com/gallery/3589777#205384150

and you don't have stretchy turned on....

I know, I turned it off because it looked like crap. I turned on again to show you how it looks. Like I said before the "auto" resize does not seem to be working. This link shows you what is going on with my galleries. http://cjyphoto.smugmug.com/gallery/3950239#229482769
  • Options
    edited December 7, 2007
    jackstone wrote:

appreciate the response.

I don't currently see any problem witrh any of your Mauka-Makai galleries. They all lay out fine for me at all window sizes. I do know the problem that you are describing. I saw it today temporarily on one of my own galleries. It happened when I was resizing the gallery while the thumbs were still loading. The thumbs displayed all overlapping with each other and wouldn't fix themselves when I resized the window. When I went to another gallery and then came back, it fixed itself. It is some sort of bug somewhere (Smugmug Javascript or browser). I cannot reproduce it, but I have seen it and it sounds similar to what you describe. Mine fixed itself by just going to a different gallery and then coming back.

Andy, I believe the galleries he is talking about are here: http://highcountryregister.smugmug.com/Mauka%20-%20Makai.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
  • Options
    edited December 7, 2007
    Just checke it with IE7 and it looks ok. So the problem seems to be with Firefox browsers.
  • Options
    edited December 7, 2007
    thanks again, John...and Andy. I was pretty sure I saw it earlier in the day in galleries besides the two I mentioned, so it does seem to come and go.

That is the right link and the two galleries in question are the Maui & Big Island galleries. Sounds like it will work itself out. I've had those galleries open all day for updates and that might explain why I'm seeing it persistently on my browser.

...many mahalos for taking the time to check that out.
  • Options
    cabbeycabbey Registered Users Posts: 1,053 Major grins
    edited December 7, 2007
    Andy wrote:
    And a bonus, now, when you stretch big, say if you are on a 1680px monitor or larger, you'll get -Th thumbs (the 150px thumbs) instead of the 100px -Ti thumbs:

which now obsoletes this FAQ entry:
    Andy wrote:
    Q: Will the thumbnails get bigger as the page stretches?
    A: No, you'll get more thumbnails on the page but each thumbnail will stay the same size.
    SmugMug Sorcerer - Engineering Team Champion for Commerce, Finance, Security, and Data Support
    http://wall-art.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    davenichollsdavenicholls Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited December 7, 2007
    Same issue here
    Hi,

I seem to be having similar problems. Some window shapes seem to work fine, but if I maximise on my 1680x1050 monitor the bottom of portrait format pictures is cut off; landscape format fits the screen, but only just and the tools aren't visible.

The 1680x1050 is a second monitor set up as an extended desktop to my 1024x768 laptop display. I'm wondering if having two different sized monitors is causing the problem?

Dave
  • Options
    PBolchoverPBolchover Registered Users Posts: 909 Major grins
    edited December 7, 2007
    Hi,

I seem to be having similar problems. Some window shapes seem to work fine, but if I maximise on my 1680x1050 monitor the bottom of portrait format pictures is cut off; landscape format fits the screen, but only just and the tools aren't visible.

Do you have a tall header? Or a long gallery description? As far as I can tell, smugmug ignores these elements when decided how big an image can fit on the screen.
  • Options
    davenichollsdavenicholls Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited December 7, 2007
    PBolchover wrote:
    Do you have a tall header? Or a long gallery description? As far as I can tell, smugmug ignores these elements when decided how big an image can fit on the screen.

I have a custom logo, but removing it doesn't make any difference. The galleries are at http://davenicholls.smugmug.com, they all seem to be behaving the same way.

Dave
  • Options
    edited December 8, 2007
    My galleries were looking better yesterday. Today they look messed up again. Like others have said the portrait does not fit the screen without scrolling. Even landscapes do not fit without scrolling! Seems to me there is some bug with the auto sizing. http://cjyphoto.smugmug.com/gallery/3950239#230019719-A-LB
  • Options
    {JT}{JT} Registered Users Posts: 1,016 Major grins
    edited December 9, 2007
    cjyphoto wrote:
    My galleries were looking better yesterday. Today they look messed up again. Like others have said the portrait does not fit the screen without scrolling. Even landscapes do not fit without scrolling! Seems to me there is some bug with the auto sizing. http://cjyphoto.smugmug.com/gallery/3950239#230019719-A-LB

Actually - it has behaved that way since the day we released it:
    http://www.dgrin.com/showpost.php?p=692686&postcount=39
  • Options
    edited December 9, 2007
    {JT} wrote:
    Actually - it has behaved that way since the day we released it:
    http://www.dgrin.com/showpost.php?p=692686&postcount=39

Are you sure about that? This is the way it looked, and some galleries still look when I first used it:

http://cjyphoto.smugmug.com/gallery/3950239#230403035

See everything fits! There is no scrolling required. Some of my galleries still look this way and some look like this:

http://cjyphoto.smugmug.com/gallery/3950239#230019719

What settings do I have to use to make things fit? ne_nau.gif
  • Options
    {JT}{JT} Registered Users Posts: 1,016 Major grins
    edited December 10, 2007
    A lot goes in to the calculations - for example: do both galleries offer the new larger sizes like xl,xl2 and xl3?

If you send links to the galleries in question I could look in to it further, but I am very sure about how it calculates what size to show :)
    cjyphoto wrote:
    Are you sure about that? This is the way it looked, and some galleries still look when I first used it:

http://cjyphoto.smugmug.com/gallery/3950239#230403035

See everything fits! There is no scrolling required. Some of my galleries still look this way and some look like this:

http://cjyphoto.smugmug.com/gallery/3950239#230019719

What settings do I have to use to make things fit? ne_nau.gif
  • Options
    edited December 11, 2007
    {JT} wrote:
    A lot goes in to the calculations - for example: do both galleries offer the new larger sizes like xl,xl2 and xl3?

If you send links to the galleries in question I could look in to it further, but I am very sure about how it calculates what size to show :)

Ok. I've played around a bit and noticed that if the gallery allows up to Large the page looks good like the first link. If I allow XL or above it looks like crap. So Smugmungous and Stretchy do not really play well together. Personally I like more thumbnails with a Large image. If one want to look at a bigger image they should be able to look at in lightbox at the maximum size the site owner allows. This would sort standardize how the the pages look when initially opened. Just my two cents.
  • Options
    edited December 11, 2007
    cjyphoto wrote:
    Ok. I've played around a bit and noticed that if the gallery allows up to Large the page looks good like the first link. If I allow XL or above it looks like crap. So Smugmungous and Stretchy do not really play well together. Personally I like more thumbnails with a Large image. If one want to look at a bigger image they should be able to look at in lightbox at the maximum size the site owner allows. This would sort standardize how the the pages look when initially opened. Just my two cents.

My guess is that this happens to you because your header takes a fair amount of vertical space (e.g. it's fairly tall) and your screen is large enough to show header and an L-sized image, but not large enough to show header and an XL image.

I think JT assumes a "standard" amount of space is used for the header and if your header is larger, then the code may pick a number of thumbs or main image size that needs a little scrolling for first view (after that, the scroll position stays constant so no subsequent scrolling is required even when you page through the gallery). I have only a small amount of space where the header is and I don't see the issue you are discussing on any of my galleries.

I wonder if it's possible to constraing the Smugmug style to L, but still see the other sizes in Lightbox. That isn't personally what I want (I love stretchy and big images because I have a big screen), but I wonder if you can do that. In the back of my mind, I'm remember some config variable that might be relevant here.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
  • Options
    edited December 12, 2007
    jfriend wrote:
    I wonder if it's possible to constraing the Smugmug style to L, but still see the other sizes in Lightbox. That isn't personally what I want (I love stretchy and big images because I have a big screen), but I wonder if you can do that. In the back of my mind, I'm remember some config variable that might be relevant here.

My screen is 24" running at 1920 x 1200. Not exactly small!

I want to like the larger stretchy Smug but I think it looks like crap when the gallery loads and the bottom half of the image is not visible and the thumbs are cut off at the bottom to boot.
  • Options
    edited December 12, 2007
    cjyphoto wrote:
    My screen is 24" running at 1920 x 1200. Not exactly small!

I want to like the larger stretchy Smug but I think it looks like crap when the gallery loads and the bottom half of the image is not visible and the thumbs are cut off at the bottom to boot.

Fair enough. Apparently the stretchy calculations don't pay any attention to the height of either a custom header or a long description. In a gallery like this one of yours that I picked at random, you have a header that takes up 174 pixels and a three line description that takes up another 54 pixels and a somewhat weirdly formatted style picker (which Smugmug did, not you) that takes up another 47 pixels. So, there's more than 20% of your height gone with those customizations and the total height (including other visual items) of the things above the top of the first thumb in this gallery is 341 pixels (28% of the window height). For reference, a non-customized gallery in the smugmug style is 162 pixels high and a minimalist gallery is 113 pixels high.

So, since one of stretchy's design goals is to get more thumbs on the screen and it apparently it is ignoring the custom header height, you can see why it sometimes hits this problem. It also won't put thumbs that extend below the tallest main image which is why restricting the size of the main image will successfully limit the number of thumbs.

There are a couple possible solutions that I can imagine:
    1. Tighten up your header design so it doesn't take so much height. If Smugmug was this way from the beginning, you probably would have made some different design choices when you built the header so you could consider those now.
    2. Do some custom CSS to tighten up the (somewhat wasteful) things above your images that are taking vertical space, but are not your custom header such as the style picker and the share photo button. I've been bugging Smugmug about the style picker myself because it looks like it was just completely left out of the stretchy design thinking. It floats out at a seemingly random right margin, wastes vertical space because it's not coordinated with any other design elements (except Smugmug's default header) and it doesn't look like a very modern design element compare to the other custom buttons Smugmug uses.
    3. Turn off stretchy. You have an option in your control panel.
    4. Set max image size to L (which will also limit the number of thumbs) if you have that option at your account level.
    5. Convince Smugmug to take the custom header and description height into account (perhaps up to some limit) when laying out the page in a future design iteration so that neither the main image nor the thumbs ever go below the edge of the window (until your window gets really small). I don't know the feasability of doing this, but it strikes me as something that would be possible.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
  • Options
    edited December 12, 2007
    jfriend wrote:
    [*]Tighten up your header design so it doesn't take so much height.

15524779-Ti.gif and also try allowing even larger sizes. http://www.moonriverphotography.com/gallery/634937#156527313