Options

Andy's Un-Official Unsolicited Mac Advice Thread

Comments

• Options
    gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited December 14, 2007
    2 leopard questions guys.

1. when i first started viewing my pictures in that app that has the slide across the front & flicks through like a book....resolution was fine but these days the photos are pixelated as all get out. Where do i adjust the size so i can see the photo clearly ?

2. is there anyway that i can view my photos like i used to in XP ? Ie just open them in safari and click on an arrow or something to view the next in line ?

at the moment i am having to open & then close it to choose the next image in my pictures.
  • Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited December 14, 2007
    gus wrote:
    2 leopard questions guys.

1. when i first started viewing my pictures in that app that has the slide across the front & flicks through like a book....resolution was fine but these days the photos are pixelated as all get out. Where do i adjust the size so i can see the photo clearly ?

2. is there anyway that i can view my photos like i used to in XP ? Ie just open them in safari and click on an arrow or something to view the next in line ?

at the moment i am having to open & then close it to choose the next image in my pictures.

1. Are you talking about coverflow view in Finder? As in, when you're viewing that way, what's the active app (top left corner). I've found that many PS saved JPEGs are like that, because I didn't choose to embed a preview in them. In my experience, it's a weird PS thing. Maybe someone else has a different thought. But I doubt there's a setting on the viewing end. It's something else.

2) In the Finder you can just hit the spacebar to view in QuickLook. You can then use the arrow keys to navigate in the window. That's the easiest way, IMO. You could also open in Preview. Select them all at once, choose open, and then you can arrow through that way as well. Both QuickLook and Preview offer slideshows. The great thing about QuickLook is that you don't have to open an app to view, just views in the finder. thumb.gif
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    edited December 14, 2007
    DavidTO wrote:
    1. Are you talking about coverflow view in Finder? As in, when you're viewing that way, what's the active app (top left corner). I've found that many PS saved JPEGs are like that, because I didn't choose to embed a preview in them. In my experience, it's a weird PS thing. Maybe someone else has a different thought. But I doubt there's a setting on the viewing end. It's something else.

cool...yeah thats what im talking about.
    DavidTO wrote:
    2) In the Finder you can just hit the spacebar to view in QuickLook. You can then use the arrow keys to navigate in the window. That's the easiest way, IMO. You could also open in Preview. Select them all at once, choose open, and then you can arrow through that way as well. Both QuickLook and Preview offer slideshows. The great thing about QuickLook is that you don't have to open an app to view, just views in the finder. thumb.gif

I just tried that...it sort of works. Bit hit and miss like its really thinking hard. The image seems very lagged behind the space bar & arrow keys headscratch.gif
  • Options
    edited December 14, 2007
    gus wrote:

I just tried that...it sort of works. Bit hit and miss like its really thinking hard. The image seems very lagged behind the space bar & arrow keys headscratch.gif

JPEG? PSD? RAW?
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    cabbeycabbey Registered Users Posts: 1,053 Major grins
    edited December 14, 2007
    DavidTO wrote:
    gus wrote:
    I just tried that...it sort of works. Bit hit and miss like its really thinking hard. The image seems very lagged behind the space bar & arrow keysheadscratch.gif
    JPEG? PSD? RAW?
    Hard drive? CF card? CD? network connection?

I see that over my CF card and network filesystem, but loading images from my harddrive is pretty quick, if there's not something in the background beating on it... like finder populating it's icons.
    SmugMug Sorcerer - Engineering Team Champion for Commerce, Finance, Security, and Data Support
    http://wall-art.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    edited December 14, 2007
    cabbey wrote:
    Hard drive? CF card? CD? network connection?

I see that over my CF card and network filesystem, but loading images from my harddrive is pretty quick, if there's not something in the background beating on it... like finder populating it's icons.
    The photos are as i mentioned above...in my pictures which is the HD.
  • Options
    edited December 14, 2007
    gus wrote:
    The photos are as i mentioned above...in my pictures which is the HD.

JPEGs should load quickly. The others will load more slowly, I would think. TIFFs, PSDs, RAW, etc.
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    edited December 14, 2007
    DavidTO wrote:
    JPEGs should load quickly. The others will load more slowly, I would think. TIFFs, PSDs, RAW, etc.
    jpeg & they are rather slow to load. About 3 to 5 meg each.
  • Options
    DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited December 14, 2007
    gus wrote:
    jpeg & they are rather slow to load. About 3 to 5 meg each.
    time for a house call.

I posted on this issue a while back (see sequence of posts starting back here) and had to go to the apple forums to get sorted out (go here if you want to have a look). I'll fix you up thumb.gif
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• Options
    edited December 14, 2007
    DoctorIt wrote:
    time for a house call.

I posted on this issue a while back (see sequence of posts starting back here) and had to go to the apple forums to get sorted out (go here if you want to have a look). I'll fix you up thumb.gif

So Doc. Is it faster? Or do they just look better now? Or both?
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    BradfordBennBradfordBenn Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited December 14, 2007
    Airport and HDD Question
    Hello oh wizards

So here is the situation. I have a MacBook Pro. Wife has a iMac 21". Have a Airport Extreme Base Station. We are both running Leopard. Wife's iMac is connected wirelessly, my MacBook on occasion. Have a powered DLink USB2.0 Hub connecting HP Printer and a Iomega 1/2Terrabyte Drive.

So I wanted to copy stuff to the Hard Drive. Like all my photo files, about 30GB at the moment. So I figure go to Servers under the Leopard Finder Panel, then go to Office, then go to the Iomega HHD. Then start copying folders over. Right?

No good. It would not connect. So I tried doing it wired. Nope, still can't connect. Go over to Wife's machine. She can connect no problem. Huh headscratch.gif ?

So I figure reboot MacBook. No change. Reboot Airport, I can connect. But I cannot seem to copy all the stuff. I get an error saying "Sorry, the operation could not be completed because an unexpected error occurred. (Error code - 1407)" I am not sure what an expected error is except in baseball... but this error or a similiar one keeps popping up and I cannot copy the stuff over succesfully.

So that is problem 1, any idea why it is being so finicky?

Problem 2
    So then I disconnected the drive from the Airport. Yes, I disconnected the users first and followed the basic rules. Then I hooked it up via Firewire 800 to my MacBook Pro directly. I then double clicked the folder I wanted to copy to, the message was "The folder 'Photos' could not be opened because you do not have sufficient access privileges." Huh? Again?

So what am I missing?
    -=Bradford

Pictures | Website | Blog | Twitter | Contact
  • Options
    edited December 14, 2007
    Put the drive back on the LAN. From your wife's computer Get Info on the drive, and under permissions select "Ignore Ownership on this Volume."

See if that helps. thumb.gif
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    edited December 15, 2007
    DavidTO wrote:
    So Doc. Is it faster? Or do they just look better now? Or both?
    dunno about speed, it was never really slow (or maybe i thought it was because it "appeared" to be loading a thumb), but yeah, all my images look great in coverflow. probably is faster since I've stripped off the useless embedded preview images with CTX
    Erik

• Options
    edited December 15, 2007
    DavidTO wrote:
    Put the drive back on the LAN. From your wife's computer Get Info on the drive, and under permissions select "Ignore Ownership on this Volume."

See if that helps. thumb.gif

Ummm I could not find the permissions section with those options. I saw permissions but not those.

A few captures...

232436534-L.png232436527-L.png
    232436543-L.png

I am also wondering if it is just something silly about the drive since it is also kind of new (two weeks and I have been on the road for a week).headscratch.gif
    -=Bradford

• Options
    edited December 15, 2007
    Hmmm. Maybe try connecting it directly?

The option is at the bottom of the info window:

cocothumbx_info-20071214-224402.jpg
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    edited December 15, 2007
    DoctorIt wrote:
    time for a house call.

cool..ta mate. Im all over it.
  • Options
    edited December 15, 2007
    How do i put a password in the mac ? In the event of my house being broken into & the mac disappearing i would at least like to know it is locked when i turn it off.
  • Options
    SloYerRollSloYerRoll Registered Users Posts: 2,788 Major grins
    edited December 15, 2007
    Here's a good place to start gus, if you want to read up on security.
    http://www.securethoughts.net/leopard/accounts.html

Not ultra technical and easy to read.
  • Options
    edited December 15, 2007
    SloYerRoll wrote:
    Here's a good place to start gus, if you want to read up on security.
    http://www.securethoughts.net/leopard/accounts.html

Not ultra technical and easy to read.
    cool..tks mate thumb.gif
  • Options
    PoseidonPoseidon Registered Users Posts: 504 Major grins
    edited December 15, 2007
    Maybe I am not looking in the right place, but can I run a pair of 27" monitors on a "standard" Mac Pro?
    Mike LaPorte
    Perfect Pix
  • Options
    colourboxcolourbox Registered Users Posts: 2,095 Major grins
    edited December 15, 2007
    Poseidon wrote:
    Maybe I am not looking in the right place, but can I run a pair of 27" monitors on a "standard" Mac Pro?

The tech specs page for the standard configuration says "NVIDIA GeForce 7300 GT 256MB (single-link DVI and dual-link DVI)." That means you get two video ports: a single-link DVI port that can drive up to 1920 by 1200 pixels, and a dual-link DVI port that can drive up to 2560 by 1600 pixels.

27" monitors come in a variety of resolutions. As long as your 27" monitors do not exceed the pixel dimensions listed above, you can plug them in right away. The dual-link DVI port is mostly intended to support the Apple 30" Cinema Display, but can drive anything smaller.
  • Options
    edited December 15, 2007
    Gus, you could check this out, too. I haven't used it.
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    SloYerRollSloYerRoll Registered Users Posts: 2,788 Major grins
    edited December 15, 2007
    That's pretty sweet David!
    I assume it's only the iMacs that have the camera built in so it can grab screen shots?
  • Options
    edited December 15, 2007
    SloYerRoll wrote:
    That's pretty sweet David!
    I assume it's only the iMacs that have the camera built in so it can grab screen shots?
    Thats cool...slo...dont all the new laptops have the camera also ?
  • Options
    edited December 15, 2007
    gus wrote:
    yup, they do. and that IS cool!

btw, random contribution to this thread: installed Leopard last night on the old Powerbook G4. It was a clean install, as it was actually starting to act up (it would forget what time it was everytime it was shut off, lose all network info, and more), everything went very smoothly and all is well now, I swear it even runs a bit faster. All told, even with full wipe of the drive, it only took about 1 hour.
    Erik

• Options
    PoseidonPoseidon Registered Users Posts: 504 Major grins
    edited December 15, 2007
    colourbox wrote:
    The tech specs page for the standard configuration says "NVIDIA GeForce 7300 GT 256MB (single-link DVI and dual-link DVI)." That means you get two video ports: a single-link DVI port that can drive up to 1920 by 1200 pixels, and a dual-link DVI port that can drive up to 2560 by 1600 pixels.

27" monitors come in a variety of resolutions. As long as your 27" monitors do not exceed the pixel dimensions listed above, you can plug them in right away. The dual-link DVI port is mostly intended to support the Apple 30" Cinema Display, but can drive anything smaller.

A pair of 1920x1200 Dell 2707's? How would I total the pixels between the 2, I know it works on a pair of 204B's they are 1600x1200 each and it works fine.

I am going back and forth now, either a pair of 24's, a pair of 27's, or that single 30". Probably a Dell 3007 HC if I do the 30" Monitor....
    Mike LaPorte
    Perfect Pix
  • Options
    edited December 15, 2007
    gus wrote:

Yep. iMacs, MacBooks and MacBook Pros. The Cinema displays are rumored to be getting them.
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    edited December 15, 2007
    gus wrote:
    How do i put a password in the mac ? In the event of my house being broken into & the mac disappearing i would at least like to know it is locked when i turn it off.

Gus,

Anyone with a bit of Mac smarts can reset the password on your computer. They just need access to your computer and the install disk.

If you want true, unbreakable passworded security, then you would use FileVault. This is hard-core encryption. What you use is decrypted as you use it. Lose your password, and you are totally screwed. No way in. Not that I know of. It's skeery secure.

If you want to keep the odd bit of info secure (ID numbers, bank account info, etc.) use Keychain Access. You have a Keychain by virtue of the fact that you have a user account. You can add secure notes to it. When you go into Keychain Access and try to read a note you will be prompted to enter your Keychain Password. This is another level of security for that type of info that you want to safeguard.
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    bwgbwg Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,119 SmugMug Employee
    edited December 16, 2007
    DavidTO wrote:
    Gus, you could check this out, too. I haven't used it.

http://www.orbicule.com/undercover/
    Pedal faster
  • Options
    edited December 17, 2007
    DavidTO wrote:
    Hmmm. Maybe try connecting it directly?

The option is at the bottom of the info window:

cocothumbx_info-20071214-224402.jpg

Well I got to spend about an hour on SOS Apple tonight. Turns out that I had a doozy and it still ain't fixed yet. For some reason the Airport assigned Permissions like you said. So I had to connect via USB directly to it to turn those off. They said those turning on was a Leopard issue (bug). I also ran a disk verify and there was a problem on the drive. So that problem was solved.

So then it was all working just hunky doory. Right up until I try to connect to it via the hardwire connection. Then it starts getting kind of wonky. If I restart the base station, it comes back up no problem. So this one has them and me scratching my head. The other thing is I have a question into Iomega to see if there is a sleep circuit in the drive that might be causing it to unmount.

Still not quite there yet.headscratch.gif
    -=Bradford