Options

Andy's Un-Official Unsolicited Mac Advice Thread

Comments

• Options
    gregneilgregneil Registered Users Posts: 255 Major grins
    edited March 23, 2008
    cabbey wrote:
    It normally should. But if you're not seeing one then I'll guess you have 'automatic login' enabled. Go into System Preferences (aka, the control panel for reformed windows users). Click on Accounts, then the padlock at the bottom to enable editing (if it's locked). Clikc on Login Options at the bottom of the user list, then set the dropdown box at the top of the options pane to 'Disabled'. Switch back to showing all to apply the change and quit. Now when you reboot the box should present you with a login prompt. (Make sure you know your password before you turn this on. ;) You'll likely also want to enable passwords on the screen saver. Back in the main System Preferences list, open Security, selet the General tab, and ensure "Require password to wake this computer from sleep or screen saver" is checked. (and now I notice you can disable automatic login here too.)

I agree.

And I'd like to add that filevault is more pain than its worth... I've seen it cause more problems than it solves.
    There's a thin line between genius and stupid.
  • Options
    gregneilgregneil Registered Users Posts: 255 Major grins
    edited March 23, 2008
    cabbey wrote:
    I've always been curious, what does it take to get that job? Do they give good training before putting a new Genius out at the bar?

I ask because I always seem to end up playing "stump the genius" it seems when I go in to ask them a question. I've actually stopped bothering to ask them questions.

Haha... it doesn't take as much as you'd think to get the job. Not these days, anyway. Geniuses do get pretty solid training before hitting the bar, but the bar's a bit lower than you'd expect to get the job in the first place. It wasn't always that way. In the beginning the geniuses were all tack sharp. Then they realized that most people needing help at the genius bar don't need someone who has that level of knowledge... Since they can help 98% of the customers with geniuses who make 2/3 the salary, it was probably a good business move.

It also probably depends on what store you go to. I know there's still a few super-smart geniuses hanging around down here in Los Angeles...

Really the job is more about troubleshooting and hardware repair than it is about answering really detailed tech questions. Most geniuses aren't super-nerds... but (usually) they've got good people and communication skills, which tends to be more useful than knowing command line inside-out, or being able to understand every line in a crash log.
    There's a thin line between genius and stupid.
  • Options
    cabbeycabbey Registered Users Posts: 1,053 Major grins
    edited March 23, 2008
    gregneil wrote:
    Haha... it doesn't take as much as you'd think to get the job. Not these days, anyway. Geniuses do get pretty solid training before hitting the bar, but the bar's a bit lower than you'd expect to get the job in the first place. It wasn't always that way. In the beginning the geniuses were all tack sharp. Then they realized that most people needing help at the genius bar don't need someone who has that level of knowledge... Since they can help 98% of the customers with geniuses who make 2/3 the salary, it was probably a good business move.

That's just about exactly what I expected, thanks for the confirmation.
    It also probably depends on what store you go to. I know there's still a few super-smart geniuses hanging around down here in Los Angeles...

Really the job is more about troubleshooting and hardware repair than it is about answering really detailed tech questions. Most geniuses aren't super-nerds... but (usually) they've got good people and communication skills, which tends to be more useful than knowing command line inside-out, or being able to understand every line in a crash log.

Yeah, I mostly hit the stores in the Twin Cities, since Apple still hasn't opened a store down here in Rochester. (a mind boggling state of affairs really, when you think about the concentration of their target markets that live here.

There's one guy up in the cities that I've seen them go to... Josh or Joe I think his name was... the "geniuses' genius" if you will... when I was asking about the bewildering behavior of iCal with WebDav servers the two "geniuses" working the bar that day got glazed over eyes really quick and one of them went to get him from in back. Once he realized what I was talking about he admitted that it was a bug, and said they didn't even have any special access to engineering to file a bug, but that he could help me file it on apple's website if I wanted. (yeah, that was the last time I went to the genius bar I think.... when my free ADC account has better bug reporting tools than the support staff in the store... what's the point?)
    SmugMug Sorcerer - Engineering Team Champion for Commerce, Finance, Security, and Data Support
    http://wall-art.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited March 23, 2008
    cabbey wrote:
    It normally should. But if you're not seeing one then I'll guess you have 'automatic login' enabled. Go into System Preferences (aka, the control panel for reformed windows users). Click on Accounts, then the padlock at the bottom to enable editing (if it's locked). Clikc on Login Options at the bottom of the user list, then set the dropdown box at the top of the options pane to 'Disabled'. Switch back to showing all to apply the change and quit. Now when you reboot the box should present you with a login prompt. (Make sure you know your password before you turn this on. ;) You'll likely also want to enable passwords on the screen saver. Back in the main System Preferences list, open Security, selet the General tab, and ensure "Require password to wake this computer from sleep or screen saver" is checked. (and now I notice you can disable automatic login here too.)
    Thankyou...done ! You've no idea how many people i asked that question.
  • Options
    cabbeycabbey Registered Users Posts: 1,053 Major grins
    edited March 26, 2008
    gus wrote:
    Thankyou...done ! You've no idea how many people i asked that question.

No worries! I just learned today with my new MBP that this is the default now. I'm pretty sure it wasn't when I installed the wife's mini, or my G5. (circa late 10.3 and mid 10.4 respectively I think.)
    SmugMug Sorcerer - Engineering Team Champion for Commerce, Finance, Security, and Data Support
    http://wall-art.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    PoseidonPoseidon Registered Users Posts: 504 Major grins
    edited March 26, 2008
    I am hoping someone can help me with an e-mail issue from home. My ISP (Charter) is completely useless as far as Tech Support goes.... Here is my issue, I can't send e-mail from my Macbook Pro, I can get e-mail just fine, but messages time out or just sit in the outbox forever. I am using a 3rd party e-mail, not Charter, and Charter keeps trying to tell me to set my outgoing server to mail.charter.net :mad:

Oh, my e-mail address is Poseidon (a) reefland.com and the server is located at mail.reefland.com if that helps....

I know that it is not my mail settings, or my mail program, as when I am away from home it works just fine. headscratch.gif

The outgoing server is set on port 25, my username and password are correct, it is just irritating as can be to not be able to send!!!

Maybe, just maybe, someone will have an idea as to what I can do or change to get my outgoing mail to work from home!....
    Mike LaPorte
    Perfect Pix
  • Options
    StevenVStevenV Registered Users Posts: 1,174 Major grins
    edited March 26, 2008
    Poseidon wrote:
    Charter keeps trying to tell me to set my outgoing server to mail.charter.net :mad:
    many ISPs block port 25 to any server but their own, setting outgoing mail server to theirs is pretty normal.
  • Options
    edited March 26, 2008
    Is there another port that I can use then? Over on my other computer, I am using port 26, but that won't work on this machine with this account. My other machine uses mike (a) perfect-pix.biz and I can send from there just fine....
    Mike LaPorte
    Perfect Pix
  • Options
    edited March 26, 2008
    Poseidon wrote:
    Is there another port that I can use then?
    that would depend on your mail server's setup.
    My other machine uses mike (a) perfect-pix.biz and I can send from there just fine....
    using the same ISP (meaning that you're using a perfect-pix.biz outgoing server while connected via Charter)? It sounds like perfect-pix lets you use alternate ports (26) and that's getting through Charter ok. It'd be worthwhile asking whomever's hosting the outgoing mailserver for reefland.com if you can use a non-25 port.
  • Options
    SloYerRollSloYerRoll Registered Users Posts: 2,788 Major grins
    edited March 26, 2008
    15 Good freeware apps for you Mac weenies
    http://botw.org/articles/mac-freeware-apps.htm
  • Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited March 27, 2008
    SloYerRoll wrote:

There's some good stuff in there. Unfortunately, the best of them, QuickSilver, is no longer being developed, AFAIK.
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited March 27, 2008
    Moved from 17-in Macbook Pro to 15 in Macbook Pro today. This is nice :)
    Why? The 15 travels more nicely clap.gif
  • Options
    edited March 27, 2008
    StevenV wrote:
    that would depend on your mail server's setup. using the same ISP (meaning that you're using a perfect-pix.biz outgoing server while connected via Charter)? It sounds like perfect-pix lets you use alternate ports (26) and that's getting through Charter ok. It'd be worthwhile asking whomever's hosting the outgoing mailserver for reefland.com if you can use a non-25 port.

Yup, same ISP. I'll ask over at Reefland if the mail server can be set up for port 26....

What is the reason for blocking port 25? Just to anger people?
    Mike LaPorte
    Perfect Pix
  • Options
    bwgbwg Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,119 SmugMug Employee
    edited March 27, 2008
    DavidTO wrote:
    There's some good stuff in there. Unfortunately, the best of them, QuickSilver, is no longer being developed, AFAIK.

The current Quicksilver branch has been abandoned by the original developers and open sourced.

The original Quicksilver devs are working on a new version from scratch. No ETA.
    Pedal faster
  • Options
    CatOneCatOne Registered Users Posts: 957 Major grins
    edited March 27, 2008
    bigwebguy wrote:
    The current Quicksilver branch has been abandoned by the original developers and open sourced.

The original Quicksilver devs are working on a new version from scratch. No ETA.

Awesome. Working on an app for 4+ years, never getting to a 1.0 version, and then starting a re-write from scratch?

Laughing.gif.
  • Options
    SloYerRollSloYerRoll Registered Users Posts: 2,788 Major grins
    edited March 27, 2008
    CatOne wrote:
    Awesome. Working on an app for 4+ years, never getting to a 1.0 version, and then starting a re-write from scratch?

Laughing.gif.
    Sometimes that's the best course of action when you keep on spending money on something and see no ROI.
  • Options
    edited March 27, 2008
    Poseidon wrote:
    What is the reason for blocking port 25? Just to anger people?
    nope, to try to cut down on spam. lots of spam is set through one ISP to another mail server, one that's "open" i.e. will accept connections from anywhere. The mail has the original ISP's IP addresses in the header making it look like they're, if not contributing to the problem, at least not doing anything to stop it. It'd be like somebody putting junk mail in your mailbox for the postman to take & deliver - it might appear that you're sending it.

Another tactic is to have a 'virus' that gets into your system and has you sending mail for them, again going through your ISP but to an open mail relay. This blocking is also supposed to help cut down on that "zombie" type spam sending.

see
    http://www.commercestreet.com/Blocking_Port_25.htm
    http://help.unc.edu/4770

it's not a 100% solution, the spammers could very easily re-write their stuff to find open ports, but it's what's being done.
  • Options
    edited March 27, 2008
    Okay, I changed my outgoing server to smtp.charter.net and I am in business... What a PITA. I guess in the end it truly doesn't matter, but I feel like I am being forced to use "their" service instead of one of my choosing. Also, I don't have any limits on file size attachments with my reefland account, but I'll bet Charter (Crapper) will limit me to something.... That may not be a big deal to some, but when you are sending .psd files, they get very large very quickly!
    Mike LaPorte
    Perfect Pix
  • Options
    edited March 27, 2008
    oh, I understand completely; my ISP does the same thing and I don't like it either. just understand what they're doing and how it was biting you too.
  • Options
    edited March 27, 2008
    I think they should have advertised this limit in the literature that I got when I signed up....

"Welcome to Charter, we SUCK." Or something like that.....
    Mike LaPorte
    Perfect Pix
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited March 27, 2008
  • Options
    Moogle PepperMoogle Pepper Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited March 28, 2008
    It is time to save up for a macbook pro!! wings.gif

RIP Sony, Feb 15th- Mar28th 2008. :cry ... >.> thumb.gifclap
    Food & Culture.
    www.tednghiem.com
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,911 moderator
    edited March 28, 2008
    Andy wrote:

Only after relaxing the rules a bit :)

Still, it's worth noting that it doesn't take much to own something that
    connects to your site deal.gif
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    MilanMilan Registered Users Posts: 166 Major grins
    edited March 28, 2008
    Aperture 2.1
    Update to Aperture brings plugins.
    CUPERTINO, California—March 28, 2008— Apple® today released Aperture™ 2.1, which introduces an open plug-in architecture ...
  • Options
    shrekieshrekie Registered Users Posts: 285 Major grins
    edited March 29, 2008
    Milan wrote:
    Update to Aperture brings plugins.

The new plugin is great, although I find that the Blur effect doesn't work. Is anyone else experiencing the same thing?
  • Options
    edited March 29, 2008
    So with iphones...can i change a 4 gig to an 8 gig or an i stuck with the size i buy ?
  • Options
    DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited March 29, 2008
    gus wrote:
    So with iphones...can i change a 4 gig to an 8 gig or an i stuck with the size i buy ?
    as a mere mortal, you're stuck. sure, an uber geek could take it apart and swap the memory, but let's emphasize GEEK in that phrase. It's like an ipod, all jammed in there, not like a laptop where you swap a drive.

You're gettin an iphone now!?! eek7.gif You are SO getting a mock turtleneck for xmas! lol3.gif
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,929 moderator
    edited March 29, 2008
    DoctorIt wrote:
    You're gettin an iphone now!?! eek7.gif You are SO getting a mock turtleneck for xmas! lol3.gif

Gus as Steve Jobs...now there's an image for you. rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    edited March 30, 2008
    DoctorIt wrote:

My phones die quickly from sweat & dust being in my overalls pocket. They drown by the end of each summer basically. Ive just killed another & whilst searching ebay...i saw an iphone go in as new nick (local pick up) go for $315...so as usual i will buy myself a good phone only to have my daughter swap the sim cards & i thus end up with her old one. She got a B in science & an A in italian so that helps also.
  • Options
    edited March 30, 2008
    ok..next.

Due to some crap that few people believe. Ebay crashes on me when viewed in leopard at random. So i gave up & downloaded firefox to use for just ebay.

I turned my machine on the next day & found firefox had disappeared from my desktop ne_nau.gif so i searched my HD ..found it & unzipped it again & used it but it then disappeared again & this just keeps happening.

Every time i turn the imac back on..i have to find & unzip firefox to use it.

Whats that about ?