Options

smugmug shoot-out at yosemite

Comments

• Options
    lynnmalynnma Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 5,207 Major grins
    edited May 2, 2005
    :lol :lol :lol :lol4 :lol4 :lol4 lol3.giflol3.giflol3.gif

Good thing Sid's carrying the pepper spray eek7.gif
    When I was approached by a 500lb black bear I had pepper spray... as he ambled towards me I slowly hid it behind my back...it suddenly became about the size of thimble, and about as effective...:uhoh
  • Options
    dragon300zxdragon300zx Registered Users Posts: 2,575 Major grins
    edited May 2, 2005
    I didn't survive the florida gators just to get eaten by a california bear did I. Aren't the bears there vegans, like everyone else?
    Everyone Has A Photographic Memory. Some Just Do Not Have Film.
    www.zxstudios.com
    http://creativedragonstudios.smugmug.com
  • Options
    lynnmalynnma Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 5,207 Major grins
    edited May 2, 2005
    lynnma wrote:
    When I was approached by a 500lb black bear I had pepper spray... as he ambled towards me I slowly hid it behind my back...it suddenly became about the size of thimble, and about as effective...:uhoh
    NO...they eat everything.. including oreo cookies and the box...
    this was the bear that drove us out of camp...
  • Options
    gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited May 2, 2005
    Be one guttsy bear that gets between me & my cherry ripes lynnie i'll give you the drum.
  • Options
    jwearjwear Registered Users Posts: 8,006 Major grins
    edited May 2, 2005
    I didn't survive the florida gators just to get eaten by a california bear did I. Aren't the bears there vegans, like everyone else?
    your safe as can be calif bears eat no meat ,they stay slim for those kodak moments like taking the door and truck lid off of your car and removing your camping gear from site little things and they are faster than a gator [they are not retired :D
    Jeff W

“PHOTOGRAPHY IS THE ‘JAZZ’ FOR THE EYES…”

http://jwear.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    Shay StephensShay Stephens Registered Users Posts: 3,165 Major grins
    edited May 2, 2005
    Yes, and Lynn's picture is a clear example of the use of Stunt Bears. The park service uses stunt bears to spread the rumor that bears are ferocious omnivores.

The stunt bears are of course animatronic robot bears that are controlled from the Jellystone headquarters, thus the imperviousness to pepper spray.

rolleyes1.gif

jwear wrote:
    your safe as can be calif bears eat no meat ,they stay slim for those kodak moments like taking the door and truck lid off of your car and removing your camping gear from site little things and they are faster than a gator [they are not retired :D
    Creator of Dgrin's "Last Photographer Standing" contest
    "Failure is feedback. And feedback is the breakfast of champions." - fortune cookie
  • Options
    Steve CaviglianoSteve Cavigliano Super Moderators Posts: 3,599 moderator
    edited May 2, 2005
    Yep, they're Vegans eek7.gif Keep thinking that.....lol

I was just talking to a guy today who told me that he had taken a troop of Boy Scouts to Yosemite for a week long camp out. They had a full-sized chest freezer, filled with dry ice, in the back of a stakebed. All of their food stuffs were loaded inside. They came back to camp from a hike and saw a bear trundling off carrying this 250 pound, mostly loaded, freezer like he was carrying a load of wash :yikes They started banging sticks together and shouting. The bear finally dropped the freezer and took off. When they examined the freezer (which had a large bicycle lock attached) they found that the bear had sliced clear through the top layer of metal and was down to to the insulation :uhoh I guess he figured he take it back to the cave so he could use some tools on it lol3.gif

There's almost a zero percent chance that we will see bears. That is unless Andy goes off shooting, pockets stuffed with slim jims and beef jerky :D

Steve
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    edited May 2, 2005
    Hmm, so I guess I should probably rethink my plan to wear my "lucky ham"?!?!
    There's almost a zero percent chance that we will see bears. That is unless Andy goes off shooting, pockets stuffed with slim jims and beef jerky :D
    "Failure is feedback. And feedback is the breakfast of champions." - fortune cookie
  • Options
    edited May 2, 2005

Steve
    So how do we prepare for when we see the bear coming at us?ne_nau.gif
    www.zxstudios.com
  • Options
    GREAPERGREAPER Registered Users Posts: 3,113 Major grins
    edited May 2, 2005
    Besides, just the BBQ sauce on his shirt may attract them....
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited May 2, 2005
    Hmm, so I guess I should probably rethink my plan to wear my "lucky ham"?!?!
    rolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gif

or for those who turn of emoticons and rely on good writing to communicate the subtleties of expression...

That's funny, that is !!!!!
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    CalfeeRiderCalfeeRider Registered Users Posts: 258 Major grins
    edited May 2, 2005
    So how do we prepare for when we see the bear coming at us?ne_nau.gif
    My advice would be to pair up with someone that looks to be slower than YOU! rolleyes1.gif

(ok, old joke, but how apropos is it now!)
    Jack

http://www.SplendorousSojourns.com

Canon 1D Mk II N - Canon 5D - Canon EF 17-40 f/4L USM - Canon EF 24-105 f/4L IS USM - Canon EF 85 f/1.8 USM - Canon EF 100 f/2.8 macro - Canon EF 100-400 f/4.5-5.6L IS USM
  • Options
    edited May 2, 2005
    Dont worry about it...if 2 or 3 of us cant pull down & rope a fuzzy little bear then we shouldnt be there. Who else is in the fwd scout patrol ?
  • Options
    edited May 2, 2005
    Humungus wrote:
    Dont worry about it...if 2 or 3 of us cant pull down & rope a fuzzy little bear then we shouldnt be there. Who else is in the fwd scout patrol ?

You may be on yer own on that one, oh ruler of the wasteland. I have seen cars that a bear wanted in the trunk. The jaws of life is slow... 4 can openers on each paw.... I tell you what, you go for it and I will shoot pics and make a buck.
  • Options
    edited May 2, 2005
    GREAPER wrote:
    You may be on yer own on that one, oh ruler of the wasteland. I have seen cars that a bear wanted in the trunk. The jaws of life is slow... 4 can openers on each paw.... I tell you what, you go for it and I will shoot pics and make a buck.
    No problem...if you use my 10-22. Hell they can only bite at one end.
  • Options
    edited May 2, 2005
    Humungus wrote:

Sounds like a job for my 170--500mm with 1.4 TC attached....
  • Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited May 2, 2005
    GREAPER wrote:
    Sounds like a job for my 170--500mm with 1.4 TC attached....

This may be one of the funniest things I've read on here yet. And it's because I'm laughing at myself, as well. I mean, what a bunch of geeks we are. Really. It's funny. Talking about bears and cameras like this. We're a funny lot.
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    edited May 3, 2005
    Humungus wrote:

By the way... shouldn't you be on a plane crossin the Pacific?
  • Options
    edited May 3, 2005
    GREAPER wrote:
    By the way... shouldn't you be on a plane crossin the Pacific?
    Leaving in 22 hours time. Been out buying 'calm down & stay seated mr Gus...its only turbulance' drugs.

and buying some funny money.

:uhoh God i hate flying.....
  • Options
    edited May 3, 2005
    Andy can you get everyone a photo of their avatar to pin to their shirt so i know who is who ?
  • Options
    edited May 3, 2005
    Humungus wrote:
    Andy can you get everyone a photo of their avatar to pin to their shirt so i know who is who ?
    But gus some of us don't have avatars.
    www.zxstudios.com
  • Options
    edited May 3, 2005
    But gus some of us don't have avatars.
    headscratch.gif .....just your stage name will do then cause other than gubbsy & mick ..you are all going to sound alike. I spoke with andy on the dog & bone the other night & he sounded funny.
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,914 moderator
    edited May 3, 2005
    'Gus, have a safe flight.

Ian
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    edited May 3, 2005
    I could pin my avatar on my chest, but the the big one on my shoulders is easier to see mwink.gif

Humungus wrote:
    headscratch.gif .....just your stage name will do then cause other than gubbsy & mick ..you are all going to sound alike. I spoke with andy on the dog & bone the other night & he sounded funny.
  • Options
    jwearjwear Registered Users Posts: 8,006 Major grins
    edited May 3, 2005
    Humungus wrote:
    Gus is right we need to look bigger than a bear ,all the scout trips and no bears .don't run and stand tall ----the bear can olny eat one of us ne_nau.gif
    Jeff W

“PHOTOGRAPHY IS THE ‘JAZZ’ FOR THE EYES…”

http://jwear.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    NirNir Registered Users Posts: 1,400 Major grins
    edited May 3, 2005
    Dear friends at dgrin,

I have already PMed 'gus, worried I would miss him before his flight to the US, but I want to say to all of you; I wish you guys a fantastic time at Yosemite! I hope you are able to enjoy one another, enjoy Andy's graciousness, enjoy nature at it's best and enjoy the photography!

Although Andy opened a door for me to enable my participation I regret I cannot. But I will be there with you guys in heart and soul.

Have a great time, return home safely to your families and then start sharing the results!!

Nir

Nir Alon

images of my thoughts
  • Options
    edited May 3, 2005
    pssst...give gus the open tin of peanut butter... :D

• Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited May 3, 2005
    ran into 4labs at b&h
    both of us were getting last minute items :D he, a tripod. me? a 72-77mm stepping ring and a new hold-all bag for all my gear :uhoh

nice to meet ya, eric! wave.gif
  • Options
    edited May 3, 2005
    andy wrote:
    both of us were getting last minute items :D he, a tripod. me? a 72-77mm stepping ring and a new hold-all bag for all my gear :uhoh

nice to meet ya, eric! wave.gif
    Got some new filters to go with that stepping ring?
  • Options
    4labs4labs Registered Users Posts: 2,089 Major grins
    edited May 3, 2005
    Same here Andy! Really looking foward to this trip..