• Options
    damonffdamonff Registered Users Posts: 1,894 Major grins
    edited July 3, 2004
    This is gorgeous.
    3741242-S.jpg
  • Options
    ruttrutt Registered Users Posts: 6,511 Major grins
    edited July 3, 2004
    Something wrong, I can't see Ginger's images anymore.
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    edited July 3, 2004
    5736980-S.jpg

Vertical is interesting, but disorienting, IMHO. This really is water and really was shot 90 degress clockwise, right? It might be less of a puzzle that way, but it also would obey Newton's Law.
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    edited July 3, 2004
    ginger_55 wrote:
    Oh, my favorite photo on any of these pages is not eligible for anything, lol.
    It is Rutt's avatar.
    Thank you for this. Probably it was the worst. I hated the stupid pretentious eye, but it was an easy self portrait to make and then I was lazy. The size restriction on the avatars makes it pretty hard to get something interesting in there, at least for me. I discrovered that "save for web" shattered the size barrier and enabled avatar making. Maybe one day I'll get a shot of me that I can stand (Laughing.gif, but not in Ginger's sense, which I think means Lots Of Love, but in the Hacker's Dictionary sense, Lots Of Luck.)
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    dugmardugmar Registered Users Posts: 756 Major grins
    edited July 3, 2004
    A few of Newburyport at Dusk...

Doug

5739695-L.jpg

5739696-L.jpg

5739697-L.jpg

5739698-L.jpg
  • Options
    hutchmanhutchman Registered Users Posts: 255 Major grins
    edited July 3, 2004
    rutt wrote:

Vertical is interesting, but disorienting, IMHO. This really is water and really was shot 90 degress clockwise, right? It might be less of a puzzle that way, but it also would obey Newton's Law.
    Correct, I just like this orientation better.

Hutch
  • Options
    lynnmalynnma Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 5,207 Major grins
    edited July 3, 2004
    dugmar wrote:
    A few of Newburyport at Dusk...

Doug

Love the shot of the boats in the marina dugmar.. nice light.
  • Options
    edited July 3, 2004
    rutt wrote:
    That works great for reference, but not for new photoshop effects. Also it only works for smugmug links, but not for attachments (Lynn loves to use these, don't know why.)
    I don't know either rutt.. why do I do that?? wait.. now I know, most of the stuff I post is not in smugmug.. also I'm limited in the brain department and lazy as well..:D
  • Options
    edited July 3, 2004
    Hey Path... lovely shot of the trees.. we like the same things. Great GB!!rolleyes1.gif when we do the challenge with no ps I'm in big trouble:D
  • Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited July 3, 2004
    Hey, y'all.

I'm up to my ears in boxes, and struggling with dial up while my DSL gets reinstated at the new address. Not gonna have time to submit this time around (I don't think, but may).

Anyway, just wanted to say how gorgeous the shots are. Really nice work to all.
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
    edited July 3, 2004
    Needing feedback, so need my photos visible....
    rutt wrote:
    Something wrong, I can't see Ginger's images anymore.
    All of them, none of them??? I took some down last night. I left up the two that are everyone's favorites, and I think I left up one more. I just couldn't make myself take them down. This was like 3 AM and I tried to be brutal. Culling, so to speak.

That was because I put up two more photos, and another one too. The ones I put up are a couple of my absolute favorites, to me they have a soft light quality that I really love.

But dealing with the masses here, I need feedback on everything, basically. I have one more, at least one, to put up. But I decided to heed Andy's warning that stimulating you all with too many photos all at once would not get the responses that I want, so I am holding this one back til I think you are ready.

I gave up on the one with the blown sun, the sky, I thought, "ginger, let it go.......... and I did". Maybe that is what you are looking for. I did be picture of all the boats at Patriot's Point, did it to see about dust, then using all the adjustments that I learned yesterday, I love that photo, mostly for the light and the composition. But it is kind of like the dog, hard to tie in to the light theme, especially since I have ones who so obviously do. But I wanted to share, and to be honest, I know we can start threads, etc...... but this is where the eyes are right now, so I put it up. But I felt I should pay for that privilege by taking others down.

I have taken all of Skye down, the dog. And the aircraft carrier, don't remember. One thing is that you all have copied a lot of my photos, so when I take mine down, they are still posted, so to speak.

However, individual feedback on each and every photo is very important to me, as that is how I cull, in most cases.

So please let me know if you cannot see the photos that I put up last night, anyone, and everyone. I don't know what to do about it, except whine to the powers who know what might be wrong.

Let me know if you can see them, too, don't want to worry. And if you want me to put a photo back up, let me know.

g
    After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.
  • Options
    edited July 3, 2004
    lynnma wrote:
    Hey Path... lovely shot of the trees.. we like the same things. Great GB!!rolleyes1.gif when we do the challenge with no ps I'm in big trouble:D

I may eat these words, but I think I use photoshop a lot when I don't need to.
    Those two pictures that everyone loves, they would not be allowed in as they are without ps, but many of my pictures are not heavily photoshopped. Then, like yesterday, when I read about the blurring thing, I went around doing the blurring thing, but it is not necessary, IMO. Just gives a kind of painterly look to the pictures (I could say oily, lol), and I am not disparaging your pictures, or technique, I love your photos, and I am now using your technique for fun. But some of my photos that I am using it on are strong enough on their merits to not need any more than the minimum.

Like your sink shot, I looked very carefully at that, Lynn, and I could see the waterspots you left when you cleaned it, shame, Laughing.gif, Laughing.gif.

One reason I voted for reflections is that, in my experience, mine have not needed much work, they either exist well or they don't. Especially the easy ones. They usually need a bit of sharpening, and that could be all.

This topic, light, it is a very difficult topic for me, I am glad we have photoshop, but I think I could put some of these up, many of them, without much work. Like that aircraft carrier. The boats all together, it might not be the best for the topic, but all I did to it was the adjustments things, don't think I even sharpened it. As it stands, it might not be anyone's favorite photo, but technically, I think it is fine just as it is. And I think those adjustments, levels, saturation and contrast are still allowed. ????

Reflections should be easy that way, IMO. Maybe depends on the subject. Mine will probably be trees, lol. Nothing like giving it away. Those trees we have down here with the "knees", and they grow in the water, cypress trees, I will probably go somewhere, get some of those shots to get the pressure off of myself, then I will think of the more complicated. I don't get many good shots of trees, for some reason they are my "waterloo", but when I do, they have not needed photoshop much. This is a reflection, will take this down tonight, so hope you catch it Lynn, but this is a reflection, you might not like it, but it didn't need much work, or one could put a lot more work in and change the colors............ just because we can?. Smile.
    This is not eligible, it was taken a month ago

4712895-S.jpg

That is a color photo, there is a bit of blue in it. Might have sharpened it, nothing else. And, I have some terrific sunsets with it, so frustrating, to have the answer to this assignment and not be able to use it, aaaaagggghhhhhh.

Hardly any photoshop, if any, could be "naked".

4712294-S.jpg

Same photo heavily photoshopped, the above one could be used next week, if as far as what I would need to do to it, the one below could not, and we will all be in the same boat.

This below is not exactly the same, as I didn't do it that way, and I don't want to spend the morning hunting, but it is the principal. The one above did not have to be ps'd, if it was. So it would be acceptable. The one below, I would not have been allowed to do this, but, to be honest, I have never been sure that I even like the heavy photoshop on this. (Now on Skye's portrait I do, different objectives).

4712308-S.jpg

I think we can do just fine with reflections without photoshop. And, as I understand, there is some leeway in basic adjustments. Probably can sharpen, but not blur, etc.

g
  • Options
    edited July 3, 2004
    The Avatar of Rutt
    rutt wrote:
    Thank you for this. Probably it was the worst. I hated the stupid pretentious eye, but it was an easy self portrait to make and then I was lazy. The size restriction on the avatars makes it pretty hard to get something interesting in there, at least for me. I discrovered that "save for web" shattered the size barrier and enabled avatar making. Maybe one day I'll get a shot of me that I can stand (Laughing.gif, but not in Ginger's sense, which I think means Lots Of Love, but in the Hacker's Dictionary sense, Lots Of Luck.)

Rutt, the shot with the tennis ball, that is not you??? And I thought I had fallen in love with you. The black head, with the green tennis ball??? You can't replace that, I thought it was you. hehe. g
  • Options
    edited July 3, 2004
    Am I the only one not seeing Gingers shots, because I'm not seeing any of them.
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    AltProAltPro Registered Users Posts: 478 Major grins
    edited July 3, 2004
    rutt wrote:
    Am I the only one not seeing Gingers shots, because I'm not seeing any of them.
    RuTT:

I see Ginger's but I never see GuBB's photos... Can't explain why... Been having the problem for a long time. In oreder to see GuBB's I have to go to a different browser... Can't use Netscape or Mozilla... Strange, eh?

ginette
    "In the End, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends."
  • Options
    edited July 3, 2004
    Andy, are you there, list monitor??? needed
    people can't see certain people's photos. If you read the last page of two of this list, you will see that.

ginger

Can we do anything??
  • Options
    edited July 3, 2004
    ginger_55 wrote:
    people can't see certain people's photos. If you read the last page of two of this list, you will see that.

ginger

Can we do anything??
    I seem to have fixed this by (painfully) deleting my Library/Application Support/Firefox. So I think it was a bug in my browser, nothing to do with dgrin really.
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    edited July 3, 2004
    Great Rutt
    rutt wrote:
    I seem to have fixed this by (painfully) deleting my Library/Application Support/Firefox. So I think it was a bug in my browser, nothing to do with dgrin really.

I have no idea what you did, but I have left messages for andy all over, so would you please explain it to him, I am leaving with my husband, two of the dogs, etc........................... Photos, sun right now. yuck.

Don't know where to go, but don't tell anyone. Suggestions could be scary.

g

Love seeing your face, smile. Why don't you get a yellow tennis ball???
    Smile
  • Options
    edited July 3, 2004
    ginger_55 wrote:
    Why don't you get a yellow tennis ball???
    Smile
    I know you think there are no such things as tennis balls this color, but I promise you there are. Your problem is that all you do is play tennis with them instead of trying to kill them. It might be chemistry or color theory or they might actually come this color. PM me your address and I'll send some to you, drool and all.
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited July 3, 2004
    *** regarding not seeing photos ***
    i see some folks are having trouble

1) if you are using smugmug to host your photos, make sure that "external links" are turned on for the gallery you are linking from

2) with any photo host, you *must* link by using the little mountain/sun icon and paste in the filename of the photo FROM the website. it always ends in .jpg

3) use the preview button to make sure everything is working right

holler back if there's still trouble !
  • Options
    cmr164cmr164 Registered Users Posts: 1,542 Major grins
    edited July 3, 2004
    I am thinking of using a flag in my quality of light submission. Any comments critiques or suggestions re the following?

0520_flag_s.jpg

0539_flag_s.jpg

0586_flag_s.jpg
    Charles Richmond IT & Security Consultant
    Operating System Design, Drivers, Software
    Villa Del Rio II, Talamban, Pit-os, Cebu, Ph
  • Options
    SandySandy Registered Users Posts: 762 Major grins
    edited July 4, 2004
    #3 is very dramatic. I like it.

cmr164 wrote:
    I am thinking of using a flag in my quality of light submission. Any comments critiques or suggestions re the following?

0586_flag_s.jpg
  • Options
    StanStan Registered Users Posts: 1,077 Major grins
    edited July 4, 2004
    cmr164 wrote:

0586_flag_s.jpg

Could you clone out the light reflection in 3, or maybe open the window :D

As for criticising the flag on the 4th July headscratch.gif
  • Options
    StanStan Registered Users Posts: 1,077 Major grins
    edited July 4, 2004
    I got up early to get the light low in the East window of the church, very cloudy and dull :cry

5763324-L.jpg

and the window the light came from

5763325-L.jpg
  • Options
    dugmardugmar Registered Users Posts: 756 Major grins
    edited July 4, 2004
    lynnma wrote:
    Love the shot of the boats in the marina dugmar.. nice light.
    Thanks Lynn. I was hoping to get some more feedback in the Comments and Critiques thread. Maybe my shots are just unremarkable? Okay, I'll just go shoot more. :)

Doug
  • Options
    edited July 4, 2004
    ramblings on a couple things
    dugmar wrote:
    Thanks Lynn. I was hoping to get some more feedback in the Comments and Critiques thread. Maybe my shots are just unremarkable? Okay, I'll just go shoot more. :)

Doug
    Doug, I have had like three hrs sleep. You say you will just go shoot some more, I say "this thing has taken on its own life, it is more time consuming than a job, not shoot more?, hehe, heresy. I did see your photo, remember liking it, but honestly, have to go to church, regularly, then shoot 3 baptisms on very little sleep, because I was "taking more pictures". I now have 3 folders that say "light". Or four.

I will comment more after something, ............later.

Sandy, your flowers are nice, but could you, or do you want to, tone down the blur so that it flows a bit more.

Whoever posted the flag shots, the last one is good or has potential. Direct light is coming on the flag............ that one would be it, can't evaluate it, I love flags of whatever ilk. Maybe later I could say more, but the last one is the "light" one.

ginger
  • Options
    edited July 4, 2004
    ginger_55 wrote:
    Whoever posted the flag shots, the last one is good or has potential. Direct light is coming on the flag............ that one would be it, can't evaluate it, I love flags of whatever ilk. Maybe later I could say more, but the last one is the "light" one.

ginger
    That would be me, shooting through the window of a Davis Sq (MA) creperie. It was suggested that I clone out the reflections but I am not sure (even if that sounds dumb). Anyone out there think the reflections add to the shot?

Presumably cloning would break the new rules about P'shopping pictures. But I should be able to reshoot it. It is next to the place where I started doing yoga so I'll be there on other sunlit afternoons.
  • Options
    edited July 4, 2004
    flag shot and later, you all.
    cmr164 wrote:
    That would be me, shooting through the window of a Davis Sq (MA) creperie. It was suggested that I clone out the reflections but I am not sure (even if that sounds dumb). Anyone out there think the reflections add to the shot?

Presumably cloning would break the new rules about P'shopping pictures. But I should be able to reshoot it. It is next to the place where I started doing yoga so I'll be there on other sunlit afternoons.

Yeah, join the rest of us, "shoot away". Hysterical laughter here. I have a fourth shot and no time to post it, til afternoon.

I will give the reflections some thought later, when I do the fourth of July shot and put it where ever, is actually night light.

My only problem with the flag shot was composition or something to give it interest, and that was hrs ago that I saw it.

Bye you all, g
  • Options
    edited July 4, 2004
    tmlphoto wrote:
    I not sure if I really like this or not. I do like the way it shows many differents qualities of light on one image. Does anyone think it might be a keeper?

"Cloud Illuminated" for lack of a better idea right now :)
    Hi tml, thats a lovely scene. I'm sure there are many expert "cloud/sunset" who would be happy to give you tons of constructive criticism, I think they are all at cookouts today :D
  • Options
    edited July 4, 2004
    Sky
    So if I don't do the flag shot... I have a couple of possible sky/cloud shots

This one makes me feel like the cloud is shooting out flames like the sun's corona.

0541_cloud_s.jpg

And this one is maybe too contrived?

0537_wet_wndw_s.jpg