Options

>> challenge 16 - comment and critiques thread <<

Comments

• Options
    GREAPERGREAPER Registered Users Posts: 3,113 Major grins
    edited July 2, 2004
    ginger_55 wrote:
    I wish I had shot this a few seconds earlier, didn't, was probably changing lenses. But I have been working on this sky a bit here and there last night and today. Today I tried curves, too, and I tried blurring and erasing 50% (hope that is what Lynn was talking about). Is there a magical formula to fixing a sky where the lens was not stopped down enough to make a star effect, or something else nice?? I thought I read about something recently, but I have books, mags and the stuff on the internet, so no idea what I may have read.

5721171-L.jpg

by ginger
    I made an adjusment layer for levels and darkened the midtones, an adjustment layer to increase saturation, and an adjustment layer increasing contrast.

Improvment? I dont know, but more dramatic.
  • Options
    edited July 2, 2004
    Ginger, I also just noticed you seem to have a dust spot on your sensor in the top left quadrant. If you dont know how to clean it consult your manual or take it to your local camera store. They may help you out with it. It gets tiresome cloning them out and fixing them, for me anyway.
  • Options
    lynnmalynnma Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 5,207 Major grins
    edited July 2, 2004
    I GOT LET OUT.. took a couple from the car and one from the ole' chair...
  • Options
    edited July 2, 2004
    from the chair...
  • Options
    edited July 2, 2004
    last one, edited.. I like this one I think
  • Options
    ruttrutt Registered Users Posts: 6,511 Major grins
    edited July 2, 2004
    GREAPER wrote:
    I made an adjusment layer for levels and darkened the midtones, an adjustment layer to increase saturation, and an adjustment layer increasing contrast.

Improvment? I dont know, but more dramatic.
    Right, I love this. Ginger, this is what I meant be different chromatic directions. I took it to blue and Greaper took it to yellow. This is a beautiful shot and if you had a hard time choosing, this shot will give you nightmares, because you can take it successfully in so many different directions. I might give it another go as well.

This is one of many examples of shots where LAB can really be magical. I'll try to make some examples.
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    edited July 2, 2004
    Lynn, I like the stairs the most of your shots for this challenge so far. And by a lot. They have mystery and a very interesting quality of light. I think a little fancy sharpening might pay off. (I've found bricks fertle ground for the technique DM uses on the Morman Temple at the end of the chapter "Sharpening with a Stiletto". (I happen to know that Lynn has this book.) If you need help doing this, holler.
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    edited July 2, 2004
    rutt wrote:
    Lynn, I like the stairs the most of your shots for this challenge so far. And by a lot. They have mystery and a very interesting quality of light. I think a little fancy sharpening might pay off. (I've found bricks fertle ground for the technique DM uses on the Morman Temple at the end of the chapter "Sharpening with a Stiletto". (I happen to know that Lynn has this book.) If you need help doing this, holler.
    Thanks Rutt.. I sharpened the heck out of it.. maybe it needs more...I'll get the book out... now where was it...
  • Options
    lynnesitelynnesite Registered Users Posts: 747 Major grins
    edited July 2, 2004
    lynnma wrote:
    last one, edited.. I like this one I think

I like the stairs the best.

Let's see if I can put one up: my "luminous filly"
    Medium
  • Options
    edited July 2, 2004
    Is this better Rutt d'you think??
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited July 2, 2004
    ginger_55 wrote:
    Oh, Sid, I got your message, went and took a photo asap.
    5705847-S.jpg

Oh, well never mind then. This is excellent!
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    edited July 2, 2004
    lynnesite wrote:
    I like the stairs the best.

Let's see if I can put one up: my "luminous filly"
    Medium
    Hi lynnesite, I'm not seeing your picture are you having a problem uploading? Try this link of WxWx's for uploading info :Dhttp://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=92
    Lynn
  • Options
    edited July 2, 2004
    wxwax wrote:
    Oh, well never mind then. This is excellent!
    I"m with Sid on this one Ginger, beautiful shot.. so is the one with the aircraft carrier...clap.gif
  • Options
    edited July 2, 2004
    Hey folks, another polite reminder to change the size of the photo, if you're repeating someone else's shot in your reply. Repeating the same large shot takes a lot of screen real estate and can make the thread hard to follow.

When you quote the photographer and repost their photo, all you have to do is change the -L.jpg in their smugmug link to -S.jpg.

Like this.

Thanks.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
  • Options
    edited July 2, 2004
    wxwax wrote:
    Hey folks, another polite reminder to change the size of the photo, if you're repeating someone else's shot in your reply. Repeating the same large shot takes a lot of screen real estate and can make the thread hard to follow.

When you quote the photographer and repost their photo, all you have to do is change the -L.jpg in their smugmug link to -S.jpg.

Like this.

Thanks.
    That works great for reference, but not for new photoshop effects. Also it only works for smugmug links, but not for attachments (Lynn loves to use these, don't know why.)
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    edited July 2, 2004
    lynnma wrote:
    Is this better Rutt d'you think??
    I like it, don't you? But it didn't have the effect on the brick I was hoping for. Maybe a little lab a+b steepening as well. Not too much, this is a quiet picture and it shouldn't "pop". But the colors could be deeper.

I'll bet you don't make the originals available because you don't want anyone to steal the fun. But if they were available, I'd take a crack.
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,697 moderator
    edited July 2, 2004
    lynnma wrote:
    I GOT LET OUT.. took a couple from the car and one from the ole' chair...
    Does this look familiar Lynn - GB all the way ....3741242-L.jpg
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    edited July 2, 2004
    rutt wrote:
    That works great for reference, but not for new photoshop effects.

nod.gif Understood. But only the adjusted photo needs to be big, not the repeat of the original.
    rutt wrote:
    Also it only works for smugmug links, but not for attachments

nod.gif Understood again. But to repeat an attached photo, one must copy and save it, then reattach it. "Reply" won't do it. So if someone's going to go to all of that trouble, then they might as well resize it at the same time. ne_nau.gif

It just makes for a cleaner, less cluttered thread, because there are a lot of large photos flying around!
    Sid.
  • Options
    edited July 2, 2004
    pathfinder wrote:
    Does this look familiar Lynn - GB all the way ....3741242-S.jpg

Beauty!
    Sid.
  • Options
    edited July 2, 2004
    lynnma wrote:
    Hi lynnesite, I'm not seeing your picture are you having a problem uploading? Try this link of WxWx's for uploading info :D

I didn't have this problem with the shot from last week, which was landscape as opposed to this one's portrait orientation. (And which during the voting, I mistakenly deleted from my Smugmug album, because there were duplicates, and I picked the "wrong" one to delete <sigh>)

Now I realize that the url can't just be copied between the IMGs, but have to use the "share" url instead.
    5723216-M-1.jpg
  • Options
    ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
    edited July 2, 2004
    How to choose, and this is the first go around.
    lynnma wrote:
    I"m with Sid on this one Ginger, beautiful shot.. so is the one with the aircraft carrier...clap.gif

Thanks both of you, Lynn and Sid re the vertical shot you like. I was kind of into the raindrops. And this shot, too. But how to choose. It was not rainy tonight, it was some kind of very strange lightening and thunder situation. I looked at the sky, but I couldn't have ventured out anyway.

If I narrowed these down, I would post one on the challenge, take most of the others down and post some others.

Lynn, I really do like those steps. Every one of them, pictures and steps.

ginger

Oh, my favorite photo on any of these pages is not eligible for anything, lol.
    It is Rutt's avatar.
    After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited July 2, 2004
    ** ch 15 finalist comments are done **
    the poop's right here
  • Options
    AltProAltPro Registered Users Posts: 478 Major grins
    edited July 2, 2004
    Wonderful.
    lynnma wrote:
    My sink..I'm desperate..
    Lynn...
    I am just getting a chance to check out the posts and I really like this one a lot! I think you may be underestimating it considerably! Would be a beautiful ad> I love the warmth of the lighting coming through the window, the light that falls on the faucet, the reduced image through the tumbler. The colors of the flowersoffer just enough "zip" to pull the composition together into a beautiful balance. A simple subject, beautifully handled.

ginette
    "In the End, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends."
  • Options
    edited July 2, 2004
    ginger_55 wrote:
    Greaper I have dust on the right quadrant of something, can't remember what you said it, SENSOR, yes, I don't know what a sensor is and in the meantime will try to watch out for dust. Yesterday, when I was photographing raindrops, not only my current lens was getting wet, and I was doing the bad thing of wiping it off with my shirt. All my camera equipment was in what I thought was my closed camera bag, it wasn't closed, and I wiped off all my lenses, they were rained on, but not a whole lot. I am kind of hoping that somehow that is how the dust got where ever it is. But I have no idea what a sensor is. Why do you think it is the sensor.

ginger
    The sensor is the little chip behind the shutter on a digital camera tht records the light. I thought it was dust on the sensor because it looked like some spots I was getting for a bit, cleaning the sensor fixed it. It could be on the lense instead. Perhaps it was from the rain and you have fixed it already.

The easiest way to find out is to shoot shots of a simple background, a white wall or something lke it.shoot the same thing with each of your lenses. If the spot appears in them all its in the camera, if not its on the lense.
  • Options
    ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
    edited July 3, 2004
    Which Aircraft Carrier, Lynn?
    lynnma wrote:

Lynn, which one with the aircraft carrier? I am going to get some off of here, and I want to make sure I know what each feedback is. Actually maybe some people won't come on til the weekend. I feel guilty with as much space as I am using. Which aircraft carrier? thanks, g
    After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.
  • Options
    edited July 3, 2004
    I saw that the share has to be turned on in order to be able to grab the right url.

Just for grins, here's an image from tonight--I was trying to capture the pretty sunset in my mare's eye--managed, but didn't get the clouds, only the horizon some sky and sun. Enjoy.
    5734333-L.jpg
  • Options
    kbasakbasa Registered Users Posts: 64 Big grins
    edited July 3, 2004
    3909358-M.jpg
    What's this button do?
  • Options
    kbasakbasa Registered Users Posts: 64 Big grins
    edited July 3, 2004
    3909394-M.jpg
    What's this button do?
  • Options
    hutchmanhutchman Registered Users Posts: 255 Major grins
    edited July 3, 2004
    Reflected Sunset
    Here's one from last night at sunset.

5736980-L.jpg

No real post processing other than some cropping.

Hutch
  • Options
    hutchmanhutchman Registered Users Posts: 255 Major grins
    edited July 3, 2004
    Concrete Sunset
    One more and I'm off to bed!

5737429-L.jpg

Have a Happy Birthday America!

Hutch