DGrin Shootout 2009 FAQ -- Details

Comments

• RogersDARogersDA Registered Users Posts: 3,502 Major grins
    edited November 7, 2008
    Llywellyn wrote:
    clap.gif
    And a big thanks to all you folks for putting this together!!
  • NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited November 7, 2008
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,167 moderator
    edited November 7, 2008
    Llywellyn wrote:

Nikolai wrote:

Did. Did. Did.

You guys and gals put a ton of work into making sure this next Shootout will be successful. Huge thanks to the entire team. thumb.gif
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • SnowgirlSnowgirl Registered Users Posts: 2,155 Major grins
    edited November 8, 2008
    Me too. I live in New Brunswick (Canada) and have been to Bar Harbour many times. should be fun - if i get selected. My first attempt at this.

If I DO get selected I'll definitely be looking for a roommate. Will have a vehicle.

Oh - and I have a babysitter for my horse etc. - it's called a husband :)
    rolleyes1.gif
    Creating visual and verbal images that resonate with you.
    http://www.imagesbyceci.com
    http://www.facebook.com/ImagesByCeci
    Picadilly, NB, Canada
  • Ann McRaeAnn McRae Registered Users Posts: 4,584 Major grins
    edited November 8, 2008
    Snowgirl wrote:
    Me too. I live in New Brunswick (Canada) and have been to Bar Harbour many times. should be fun - if i get selected. My first attempt at this.

If I DO get selected I'll definitely be looking for a roommate. Will have a vehicle.

Oh - and I have a babysitter for my horse etc. - it's called a husband :)
    rolleyes1.gif

So, local knowledge of restaurants?

Will you drive through NB or around through NS? ne_nau.gif I was thinking about flying to Halifax, maybe.

ann
  • hawkeye978hawkeye978 Registered Users Posts: 1,218 Major grins
    edited November 8, 2008
    Will we be getting any confirmation that the registration submitted properly?

If selected I'm looking forward to this. My wife and I drove up to Bar Harbor from Massachusetts in July and despite the iffy weather was a nice experience.
  • LlywellynLlywellyn Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,186 Major grins
    edited November 8, 2008
    If you signed up early, your confirmation was that happy "Success!" message that popped up after you clicked "Submit." Since folks seem to want more e-mail in their inboxes, I made a tweak that will now send a repeat confirmation to e-mail. deal.gif For anyone who's asked thus far, yep, we've got your info. thumb.gif
  • cpagilitycpagility Registered Users Posts: 82 Big grins
    edited November 19, 2008
    Llywellyn wrote:
    If you signed up early, your confirmation was that happy "Success!" message that popped up after you clicked "Submit." Since folks seem to want more e-mail in their inboxes, I made a tweak that will now send a repeat confirmation to e-mail. deal.gif For anyone who's asked thus far, yep, we've got your info. thumb.gif

I've got to ask because I can't remember if I saw "Success!" or not and I haven't gotten an email.

Karen Moureaux aka CPAGILITY
    edited November 20, 2008
    cpagility wrote:
    I've got to ask because I can't remember if I saw "Success!" or not and I haven't gotten an email.

Karen Moureaux aka CPAGILITY

You're set. thumb.gif (Check your spam settings to ensure future e-mails don't accidentally get eaten. :D)
  • stuffjunkiestuffjunkie Registered Users Posts: 156 Major grins
    edited November 21, 2008
    Llywellyn wrote:
    Great, now I'm all paranoid.eek7.gif I signed up early and 'think' I recall a "Success" message but that was SO LONG ago. And of course I don't have an email....(no spam victims either) Am I listed/entered/confirmed?
    Thanks!!:D
    edited November 21, 2008
    Great, now I'm all paranoid.eek7.gif I signed up early and 'think' I recall a "Success" message but that was SO LONG ago. And of course I don't have an email....(no spam victims either) Am I listed/entered/confirmed?
    Thanks!!:D

We gotcha. thumb.gif
  • DougNorCalDougNorCal Registered Users Posts: 54 Big grins
    edited November 21, 2008
    Does it make sense to post a list of those registered or send another e-mail confirmation to the or ???
    edited November 21, 2008
    We will be posting the list of registrants after the lottotron. I'll see if I can carve time out this weekend to post a list of all the names we've received thus far. (I have a huge event tomorrow and a shoot Monday I still need to scout for.) If anyone is truly concerned about their names coming through on the form, PM me.

Doug, you're also on the list, so you're set. thumb.gif

To all, please do double-check your spam filters for e-mails from dgrinshootout. We will be sending out further information next week after the lottotron, and we really want to ensure those messages get through. deal.gif
  • greenpeagreenpea Registered Users Posts: 880 Major grins
    edited November 24, 2008
    I feel like these questions have already been asked and answered (probably several times), but I couldn't find where, so...

Is the deposit refundable? and if so until when?

If we request a double occupancy and one member cannot make it, are we allowed to substitute in someone else or do we have to give up that slot to the next person on the waiting list?

Thanks!
    Andrew
    initialphotography.smugmug.com

"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera" - Dorothea Lange
  • DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited November 24, 2008
    greenpea wrote:
    I feel like these questions have already been asked and answered (probably several times), but I couldn't find where, so...

If we request a double occupancy and one member cannot make it, are we allowed to substitute in someone else or do we have to give up that slot to the next person on the waiting list?

Thanks!

Good question on the deposit, it is, and we'll get back to you on the date (I forget, too) and update the first post to reflect.

No, you cannot circumvent the waiting list.
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • aktseaktse Registered Users Posts: 1,928 Major grins
    edited November 24, 2008
    greenpea wrote:

Thanks!
    We have a blog set up, but we haven't had the chance to include everything in there yet.

We've been busy...

The deposit will most likely be refundable, but up to a point. We need to discuss the date, but it should be similar to previous years.

And if you signed up for double occupancy, and one can't make it, the next person on the waitlist will given the opportunity for the open spot.

If you can't make it, please do so earlier and let people know. Last year, people did drop out after the refund deadline, but left others worried about the hotel room bill at the end of the shootout. This year, it's up to you to find your own roommate and this is one topic that should be discussed among the two of you.

Please be considerate of your roommate.
  • grimacegrimace Registered Users Posts: 1,534 Major grins
    edited November 25, 2008
    aktse wrote:
    The deposit will most likely be refundable, but up to a point.

?

Please explain a little further.
    edited November 25, 2008
    grimace wrote:
    ?

Please explain a little further.

We're working out the details of when the hotel allows cancellations and back-timing it so that everyone gets a fair shake at having a roommate (not being left in the lurch). Also, keep in mind that PayPal takes a %, and that portion is non-refundable. You'd get back what's left.

Bear in mind that this is not one person making decisions, but a group, and coming to consensus takes us a little longer than it should, perhaps. :D But it's all good. Our refund policy will be in keeping with industry standards, and will be announced in plenty of time before you need to pay your deposit, giving you an opportunity to make sure you're comfortable with it.

K?
    Moderator Emeritus
    edited November 25, 2008
    Alrighty, folks. Here's the answer: refunds are available until September 7, 2009, 30 days before the start of the event. If you cancel after that date, you forfeit your deposit amount.

Once you receive the deposit request, you have two weeks to submit your payment. After that, you forfeit your spot in the Shootout.

Keep the questions coming! thumb.gif
    edited November 25, 2008
    Llywellyn wrote:
    Alrighty, folks. Here's the answer: refunds are available until September 7, 2009, 30 days before the start of the event. If you cancel after that date, you forfeit your deposit amount.

Once you receive the deposit request, you have two weeks to submit your payment. After that, you forfeit your spot in the Shootout.

Keep the questions coming! thumb.gif
    Two things to ponder -- it's more than just the deposit amount.

1) Waitlist: If you can't make it, let us know ASAP. Waiting until the very last minute to drop out will make it difficult another person on the waitlist to take your place.

2) Roomates: Don't forget your roommate -- discuss with each other. You don't want your roommate to be surprised by the final hotel bill at the of the shootout. It is not a good feeling to pay for the full amount when you only budgeted for half the amount.

Be Kind. Be Considerate. Be Thoughtful. Be a dgrinner :D
  • greenpeagreenpea Registered Users Posts: 880 Major grins
    edited December 1, 2008
    One thing to add to the holiday wish list for people following this thread:

The Photographer's Guide to the Maine Coast: Where to Find Perfect Shots and How to Take Them

Other suggestions? :D
    Andrew
    initialphotography.smugmug.com

"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera" - Dorothea Lange
  • CavalierPhotoCavalierPhoto Registered Users Posts: 233 Major grins
    edited December 1, 2008
  • tonydtonyd Registered Users Posts: 213 Major grins
    edited December 5, 2008
    I see we have a waiver to sign this yeardeal.gif
    I have no complaint about that, just curious if this is just something that someone figured should be done, probably should have been done in the past, and not because Acadia Nat'l Park is more dangerous place to be than past locations ne_nau.gifscratch

Hopefully not because my camera/tripod toppled and damaged my lens in Utah, that was my fault and Nikon quickly repaired it for 16% of the cost of the lens new.thumb.gif
    edited December 5, 2008
    tonyd wrote:
    I see we have a waiver to sign this yeardeal.gif
    I have no complaint about that, just curious if this is just something that someone figured should be done, probably should have been done in the past, and not because Acadia Nat'l Park is more dangerous place to be than past locations ne_nau.gifscratch

Hopefully not because my camera/tripod toppled and damaged my lens in Utah, that was my fault and Nikon quickly repaired it for 16% of the cost of the lens new.thumb.gif

There just is. deal.gif
    Moderator Emeritus
    edited December 5, 2008
    Nikolai wrote:
    Tony, I guess now that it's not a powerfull Smugmug and just us few dgrinners who can be for all intents and purposes made legally repsonsible for anything that might happen during the shootout in case God forbid something happens (like someone chokes on a crab leg or gets a shellfish poisoning) we all agreed that we need to isolate our families and our personal well-beings from the event per se. Other than that Acadia is not anywhere near dangerous as, say, the steep cliffs of Angels' Landing mwink.gif

Thanks Nikolai - as I said it was just curiosity. Regarding those steep cliffs at Angels' Landing ... I enjoyed viewing photos from that vantage point from the safety of my chair, since little voices in my head prevented me from being there in person:D
  • Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited December 5, 2008
    If memory serves, didn't we need to sign a waiver for the Glacier Shootout, or am again exhibiting my usual state of confusion?

Either way - no big deal. I can be responsible for my own actions (usually :D)
    edited December 5, 2008
    If memory serves, didn't we need to sign a waiver for the Glacier Shootout, or am again exhibiting my usual state of confusion?

Either way - no big deal. I can be responsible for my own actions (usually :D)

I believe that was a photo release to allow our mugs to be published in the Glacier book
  • jforbesjforbes Registered Users Posts: 49 Big grins
    edited December 7, 2008
    Wow. That's close to me. I put in for the waiting list, figure I've got nothing to lose. The hotel costs are made clear, but my main concern would be other costs.
    -Jeff
    edited December 7, 2008
    jforbes wrote:
    Wow. That's close to me. I put in for the waiting list, figure I've got nothing to lose. The hotel costs are made clear, but my main concern would be other costs.

Other costs? ne_nau.gif Please explain...
  • jforbesjforbes Registered Users Posts: 49 Big grins
    edited December 7, 2008
    aktse wrote:
    Other costs? ne_nau.gif Please explain...

Oh, it was made clear what the hotel would cost, which is fine, I was just wondering if there were going to be other fees for various reasons. If not, no worries! I was half expecting to see "Oh, yes, there's a $900 fee to cover the cost of the workshops too!" - something like that would put it over my budget.
    -Jeff