Options

DGrin Shootout 2009 FAQ -- Details

Comments

• Options
    LlywellynLlywellyn Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,186 Major grins
    edited June 30, 2009
    winger wrote:
    would I be shunned as a Dgrinner if I crashes this for a couple of days. I put myself on the wait list thinking I could do it but then I double checked and I have a wedding on the 11th, so I cant do the whole thing. But I live in Mass, so driving back sometime on the 10th is totally doable and I would love to be able to meet some dgrin faces.

Besides I already have space booked in the hostel....so I will be intown anyways.... :-P

Not shunned, but you may not be able to ever find us if you don't register and stay in the same hotel. lol3.gif Shootouts are a bit more laissez faire when it comes to scheduling, often with decisions like where to shoot sunrise coming together late the night before—and even then it isn't just one location. For these reasons, we really do insist Shootout peeps register and commune with us in one place. You also benefit by having more time around the pros (and peers!) who graciously give their time and advice while there.

If it doesn't work out this year, keep an eye out for the next! thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited June 30, 2009
    Chile Chef wrote:
    I wish you could have done this in August, :( I think this would be a blast.

There's a workshop with B.D. Colen in August up in Boston that might interest you. thumb.gif
  • Options
    Chile ChefChile Chef Registered Users Posts: 473 Major grins
    edited June 30, 2009
    Llywellyn wrote:
    There's a workshop with B.D. Colen in August up in Boston that might interest you. thumb.gif
    Thank you very much Liywellyne, I will see what I can do, I know I will have college Photography II, Introduction to Spanish starting in August.
  • Options
    wingerwinger Registered Users Posts: 694 Major grins
    edited July 2, 2009
    Llywellyn wrote:
    Not shunned, but you may not be able to ever find us if you don't register and stay in the same hotel. lol3.gif Shootouts are a bit more laissez faire when it comes to scheduling, often with decisions like where to shoot sunrise coming together late the night before—and even then it isn't just one location. For these reasons, we really do insist Shootout peeps register and commune with us in one place. You also benefit by having more time around the pros (and peers!) who graciously give their time and advice while there.

If it doesn't work out this year, keep an eye out for the next! thumb.gif

Its all good, I am sort of a lone wolf anyways, just thought it would be nice to meet some of the folks on here. Shootouts have always been difficult for me to get to because of time of year and cost, this one is just close for me, is all.
  • Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited July 2, 2009
    winger wrote:
    Its all good, I am sort of a lone wolf anyways, just thought it would be nice to meet some of the folks on here. Shootouts have always been difficult for me to get to because of time of year and cost, this one is just close for me, is all.

Karen, your link in your signature is b0rked.
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    SteveFSteveF Registered Users Posts: 466 Major grins
    edited July 10, 2009
    Hello,

I am recently off of the wait list and making some travel plans.

I couldn't find an actual schedule anywhere. When is the first and last planned get together of this shoot?

I'll likely stay longer, but just want to make sure I'm there for the good stuff.
  • Options
    aktseaktse Registered Users Posts: 1,928 Major grins
    edited July 10, 2009
    SteveF wrote:
    Hello,

I am recently off of the wait list and making some travel plans.

I couldn't find an actual schedule anywhere. When is the first and last planned get together of this shoot?

I'll likely stay longer, but just want to make sure I'm there for the good stuff.
    Congrats!!!! clap.gifclapclap.gif

There isn't a actual schedule and that's one of the reasons why we highly recommend people stay at same hotel. Remember -- this isn't a workshop in which every moment is planned. In general, people plan what to shoot the night before and you have to choice to follow the pros or join up with anther group to explore elsewhere.

There isn't anything officially scheduled before 6pm on arrival day, but knowing people, they might arrive earlier and go shooting the sunset. The last "official" event is usually the sunrise on the last day.

And everyone is free to arrive early and stay late! It's such a beautiful area!

Have fun!
  • Options
    davevdavev Registered Users Posts: 3,118 Major grins
    edited July 11, 2009
    Steve, glad you could make it.
    I think the Minnesotan count is about 10 now.
    Be ready for late nights and early mornings.
    Somewhere there's a travel thread / roommate thread going on that would maybe help you some.
    Ah, here it is. LINK I'll bump it to bring it to the top also.

Have a passport with you, there may be a Canada run for Puffins.
    dave.

Basking in the shadows of yesterday's triumphs'.
  • Options
    NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited July 11, 2009
    welcome to the coolest gang on the planet!mwink.gifclap.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • Options
    stuffjunkiestuffjunkie Registered Users Posts: 156 Major grins
    edited July 12, 2009
    I came across this review of photography opportunities at Acadia NP on Bob Atkins website.
  • Options
    Ann McRaeAnn McRae Registered Users Posts: 4,584 Major grins
    edited July 12, 2009
    davev wrote:
    Steve, glad you could make it.
    I think the Minnesotan count is about 10 now.
    Be ready for late nights and early mornings.
    Somewhere there's a travel thread / roommate thread going on that would maybe help you some.
    Ah, here it is. LINK I'll bump it to bring it to the top also.

Have a passport with you, there may be a Canada run for Puffins.

10 Minnesotans! Oy-yoy-yoy!

Davev, I don't think you will find Puffin's in October! Sorry, but when I was in the far east 3 years ago in October, they were already at sea for the winter.

ann
  • Options
    edited July 12, 2009
    I came across this review of photography opportunities at Acadia NP on Bob Atkins website.
    Nice, thanks for sharing! thumb.gif
  • Options
    davevdavev Registered Users Posts: 3,118 Major grins
    edited July 12, 2009
    Ann McRae wrote:
    10 Minnesotans! Oy-yoy-yoy!

Davev, I don't think you will find Puffin's in October! Sorry, but when I was in the far east 3 years ago in October, they were already at sea for the winter.

ann

NNNooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!

I hope you're wrong about this.
    dave.

Basking in the shadows of yesterday's triumphs'.
  • Options
    dlplumerdlplumer Registered Users Posts: 8,081 Major grins
    edited July 12, 2009
    davev wrote:
    NNNooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!

I hope you're wrong about this.

I would love to get Puffins as well, but I believe she is quite correct.:cry
  • Options
    SteveFSteveF Registered Users Posts: 466 Major grins
    edited July 17, 2009
    Reading up on these birds it seems that the season to view them runs from the first week in June and ends mid-August. :cry

I'm still trying to figure out where I'm going to fly into. Boston, Portland or Bangor - not sure yet.
  • Options
    edited July 21, 2009
    Very nice post about the park. Lot's a great pics and info:
    http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=137851
  • Options
    CavalierPhotoCavalierPhoto Registered Users Posts: 233 Major grins
    edited July 21, 2009
    Nikolai wrote:
    Very nice post about the park. Lot's a great pics and info:
    http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=137851

Very nice indeed.

I guess we know where everyone will be at the Shootout if the weather doesn't cooperate :D
  • Options
    edited July 28, 2009
    Sorry if this has been covered a billion times, but I am coming from Tucson or Phoenix. What airport should I fly into, and on what day should I plan on arriving. A quick look at flights is very discouraging.

Any recommendations.

Thanks,

Dan
  • Options
    cmkultradomecmkultradome Registered Users Posts: 516 Major grins
    edited July 29, 2009
    dlplumer wrote:
    Sorry if this has been covered a billion times, but I am coming from Tucson or Phoenix. What airport should I fly into, and on what day should I plan on arriving. A quick look at flights is very discouraging.

I'll be driving up from Providence, RI (6-7 hour drive). I am considering going up a day or two early but haven't really decided yet. I would be happy to pick anyone up along the way at the following airports just let me know. I drive a Honda Civic so it won't be luxury transport but this will be the 3rd trip I've made up there in 3 months.

Airports:

Providence, RI (6-7 hour drive)
    Boston, MA (5-6 hour drive)
    Portland, ME (3-4 hour drive)
    Bangor, ME (1-1 1/2 hour drive)
    Bar Harbor, ME (15-30 min drive) (most expensive option and you usually have to go thru Boston to get there)

Flying in to Providence, Boston, or Portland is probably cheaper and does allow for a very scenic drive (coastal route) with lots of photo ops.

Stephanie
  • Options
    denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,236 moderator
    edited July 29, 2009
    Airports:

Bar Harbor, ME (15-30 min drive) (most expensive option and you usually have to go thru Boston to get there)

Flying in to Providence, Boston, or Portland is probably cheaper and does allow for a very scenic drive (coastal route) with lots of photo ops.
    Flying to Manchester, NH is another option. Drive time from there is probably an hour shorter than Boston, and Southwest flys to Manchester as well as Providence. I always check flights out of both Manchester & Boston. Given equivalent flight choices, I usually choose Manchester.

--- Denise
  • Options
    redleashredleash Registered Users Posts: 3,840 Major grins
    edited July 29, 2009
    And the Manchester airport is easy to get in and out of, plus I've found the baggage claim works pretty smoothly and quickly.
    "But ask the animals, and they will teach you." (Job 12:7)

Lauren Blackwell
    www.redleashphoto.com
  • Options
    edited July 29, 2009
    Flying to Manchester, NH is another option. Drive time from there is probably an hour shorter than Boston, and Southwest flys to Manchester as well as Providence. I always check flights out of both Manchester & Boston. Given equivalent flight choices, I usually choose Manchester.

--- Denise

Thanks Denise; very helpful.thumb.gif
  • Options
    cmkultradomecmkultradome Registered Users Posts: 516 Major grins
    edited July 29, 2009
    I'll be driving up from Providence, RI (6-7 hour drive). I am considering going up a day or two early but haven't really decided yet. I would be happy to pick anyone up along the way at the following airports just let me know. I drive a Honda Civic so it won't be luxury transport but this will be the 3rd trip I've made up there in 3 months.

Airports:

Stephanie

Dan-
    I was checking flights for a gymnastic meet that I'll be attending and while I was there I checked on the rates into Providence & Manchester from Phoenix via Southwest Airlines. Depending on what days you are planning on traveling it looks like you might be able to get some pretty good deals ($99 - $149) each way. Hope this helps.

Stephanie
  • Options
    edited July 29, 2009
    Since folks are ramping up on travel plans, we've made a transportation thread for you to help keep track of your suggestions and arrangements. Have at it! thumb.gif
  • Options
    Ann McRaeAnn McRae Registered Users Posts: 4,584 Major grins
    edited August 16, 2009
    FAQ in the first post updated. Please have a look!

ann
  • Options
    edited August 20, 2009
    We've had a lot of new folks signing up for this year's Shootout, so I thought it would be a good idea to give you guys a taste of what you're in for.

First, the pros: Marc Muench, Dave Porter, and Andy Williams. I don't have much to add that their incredible photos don't already say, except they are all wonderfully friendly, helpful, and generous with their time both in the field and in the "classroom" (i.e., wherever Marc's projector is). You'll be amazed what you can learn by observing them shoot and asking them questions. Don't be afraid to ask them questions!

Next, your peers: seriously, you get to hang out with 60 other photographers and talk shop for four days. And, unlike your "norm" friends, their eyes won't glaze over! :D You also inevitably pick up new tips and tricks from your fellow photogs, as well as more than a few new friends.

Then, your photos: as a late sleeper myself, I know there is no better motivation than 60 exuberant photographers to get me out of bed at 3am four days in a row...and be happy about it! mwink.gif The pictures you come back with will be filled with great memories, and they'll be pretty darn awesome, too. Don't believe me? Check out these threads from last year's Shootout (scroll to the bottom of the post).

Finally, it's just friggin' fun! clap.gif

We still have a few spots available, so don't miss out!
  • Options
    CavalierPhotoCavalierPhoto Registered Users Posts: 233 Major grins
    edited August 20, 2009
    Llywellyn wrote:
    ...The pictures you come back with will be filled with great memories, and they'll be pretty darn awesome, too. Don't believe me? Check out these threads from last year's Shootout (scroll to the bottom of the post).

That brings back a lot of memories for sure :D and I am SOOOO looking forward to this years.
    Finally, it's just friggin' fun! clap.gif

15524779-Ti.gif
  • Options
    edited October 1, 2009
    OK, I'm starting to get very psyched.
  • Options
    SnowgirlSnowgirl Registered Users Posts: 2,155 Major grins
    edited October 3, 2009
    dlplumer wrote:
    OK, I'm starting to get very psyched.

Oh yeah - me too - uh huh, uh clap.gifhuh! wings.gifbarb:ivar
    Creating visual and verbal images that resonate with you.
    http://www.imagesbyceci.com
    http://www.facebook.com/ImagesByCeci
    Picadilly, NB, Canada
  • Options
    redleashredleash Registered Users Posts: 3,840 Major grins
    edited October 3, 2009
    I'm psyched too . . . now especially! I was headed to Maine on Thurs with my husband for a family visit before the shootout. I got sick and ended up in the ER and had to cancel our flight. I'm feeling better and am rescheduled for Monday, but now my husband can't go. :cry But, he says we can go in the winter so I can have snow for Christmas!!! :D

So, Snowgirl . . . I will see you as planned on the 7th!
    "But ask the animals, and they will teach you." (Job 12:7)

Lauren Blackwell
    www.redleashphoto.com