Options

DGrin Shootout 2009 FAQ -- Details

Comments

• Options
    LlywellynLlywellyn Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,186 Major grins
    edited March 31, 2009
    There're also buses that run from Boston to Bangor: http://www.discover-acadia.com/bar-harbor-bus-service.html
  • Options
    tonydtonyd Registered Users Posts: 213 Major grins
    edited March 31, 2009
    http://kayak.com shows flights from Milwaukee to Bar Harbor for about $500 with 2 - 3 stops in each direction.

From my place to Bar Harbor flights are about $650 with 3 - 4 stops in each direction.

I think I will be opting for the 1126 mile round trip driving route instead of flying. Driving time won't be much longer than the overall flying/waiting time.
  • Options
    davevdavev Registered Users Posts: 3,118 Major grins
    edited March 31, 2009
    tonyd wrote:
    http://kayak.com shows flights from Milwaukee to Bar Harbor for about $500 with 2 - 3 stops in each direction.

From my place to Bar Harbor flights are about $650 with 3 - 4 stops in each direction.

I think I will be opting for the 1126 mile round trip driving route instead of flying. Driving time won't be much longer than the overall flying/waiting time.

For us it about 1700 miles one way.
    If gas stays around $2 a gallon, it should cost about $450 for gas round trip for the 2 of us.
    I was pissed off last year paying $4 a gallon in Moab one week, and then after getting home it was below $3. We spent a lot on gas last year in the southwest.

We have the paper work to get our passports, now we just need the time to fill them out.
    I know that we'll be spending some time in Canada during this trip, so we're trying to get prepared early.
    dave.

Basking in the shadows of yesterday's triumphs'.
  • Options
    cabbeycabbey Registered Users Posts: 1,053 Major grins
    edited March 31, 2009
    tonyd wrote:

I've done some more searches, it looks like Portland, ME is a much better choice to fly in to. Thinking that route now. Madison to Portland, via Chicago is $176 ($198 with fees and all)

I thought about the driving method, but it would be 1400 miles for us, along the southern edges of the great lakes... just not interested in driving that route. :)
    SmugMug Sorcerer - Engineering Team Champion for Commerce, Finance, Security, and Data Support
    http://wall-art.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    stuffjunkiestuffjunkie Registered Users Posts: 156 Major grins
    edited March 31, 2009
    davev wrote:
    For us it about 1700 miles one way.
    If gas stays around $2 a gallon, it should cost about $450 for gas round trip for the 2 of us.
    I was pissed off last year paying $4 a gallon in Moab one week, and then after getting home it was below $3. We spent a lot on gas last year in the southwest.

We have the paper work to get our passports, now we just need the time to fill them out.
    I know that we'll be spending some time in Canada during this trip, so we're trying to get prepared early.
    I watched gas prices fall while driving all the way home from Moab. I stopped at one station in NE and did a triple take at the pump price $1.98. I swore the big bill board said $2.98...AND I thought that was a DEAL!

I will likely also drive. I'm considering an extended stay post shootout. Looks like about 21 hours from Chicago to Bar Harbor going the below-the-lakes route.

Thinking while I type mode:
    Any idea what's to see going thru Canada in an over the lakes route? Less rust? More trees? Moose? It'd be longer I guess.

Google maps has Saint John about 4 hours from Bar Harbor, Halifax is about 7ish. Hmmmmm
  • Options
    edited March 31, 2009
    cabbey wrote:
    Do we have a time on the first day for a meet-n-greet? Need to know when to plan on getting in.

We're working out the details for the arrival day, so stay tuned. We'll try to get that info posted here soon so folks can plan their flights accordingly. thumb.gif
  • Options
    redleashredleash Registered Users Posts: 3,840 Major grins
    edited April 1, 2009
    I sometimes fly into Manchester NH--have gotten some good fares from San Antonio via Southwest Airlines. I think there are a couple other airlines that fly there. I rent a car there. It's about 1.5 hrs to Portland, then on to Bar Harbor, but it's not a bad drive at all and you should see some leaves on the way.

Jet Blue flies into Portland and sometimes has good fares also.
    "But ask the animals, and they will teach you." (Job 12:7)

Lauren Blackwell
    www.redleashphoto.com
  • Options
    Ann McRaeAnn McRae Registered Users Posts: 4,584 Major grins
    edited April 1, 2009
    davev wrote:

w00t! Davev and Katev can visit me!!!!!!:D:Dclap.gif
  • Options
    edited April 1, 2009
    [quote=stuffjunkie

Thinking while I type mode:
    Any idea what's to see going thru Canada in an over the lakes route? Less rust? More trees? Moose? It'd be longer I guess.

Google maps has Saint John about 4 hours from Bar Harbor, Halifax is about 7ish. Hmmmmm[/quote]

Kevin - from Chicago through Canada you will (or may) travel through Ontario - the Niagra Peninsula is gorgeous, especially that time of year!

The whole drive along the lakes is 'Canadian Shield', rock, trees and water. Pretty for sure.
    Saint John is way the east of all that, but the Canadian Maritimes are also picturesque and um, can be 'quaint', eek7.gif
  • Options
    edited April 1, 2009
    Llywellyn wrote:
    We're working out the details for the arrival day, so stay tuned. We'll try to get that info posted here soon so folks can plan their flights accordingly. thumb.gif

Hey Kerry, can you PM or email me at my home email address! Thanks!
  • Options
    edited April 16, 2009
    cabbey wrote:
    Do we have a time on the first day for a meet-n-greet? Need to know when to plan on getting in.

Alrighty, for right now, we're not planning anything before 6pm on arrival day. Does that help? thumb.gif

Also, ATTN: Waitlisters! Please check your e-mail inboxes. I'm waiting on a couple responses before I can continue on down the waitlist. Please don't leave me hangin'. :hang
  • Options
    stuffjunkiestuffjunkie Registered Users Posts: 156 Major grins
    edited April 18, 2009
    Llywellyn wrote:
    Alrighty, for right now, we're not planning anything before 6pm on arrival day. Does that help? thumb.gif

Sunset on 10/7/09 appears to be about 6PM (6:03). It seems a shame to
    not plan a sunset shoot. :(:
  • Options
    edited April 18, 2009
    Sunset on 10/7/09 appears to be about 6PM (6:03). It seems a shame to
    not plan a sunset shoot. :(:

You're certainly welcome to shoot the sunset that evening and then come back to find the group, or snag folks to go out with you for sunset. That's the beauty of Shootouts: your agenda is yours to make and choose. thumb.gif
  • Options
    elmoelmo Registered Users Posts: 24 Big grins
    edited April 19, 2009
    Llywellyn wrote:

Also, ATTN: Waitlisters! Please check your e-mail inboxes. I'm waiting on a couple responses before I can continue on down the waitlist. Please don't leave me hangin'. :hang

Replying for cabbey since I am not sure when he will see this but thank you that helps immensely. I can't wait to see y'all there.
  • Options
    cabbeycabbey Registered Users Posts: 1,053 Major grins
    edited May 4, 2009
    FYI: they're down to just double bed rooms, none with a king left. Hopefully the expectation wasn't that we would have 4 people in each of those rooms.
    SmugMug Sorcerer - Engineering Team Champion for Commerce, Finance, Security, and Data Support
    http://wall-art.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    edited May 6, 2009
    cabbey wrote:
    FYI: they're down to just double bed rooms, none with a king left. Hopefully the expectation wasn't that we would have 4 people in each of those rooms.

Uh, no. Just two. We like people to get know each other on these trips, but not quite that well. lol3.gif
  • Options
    cj99sicj99si Registered Users Posts: 880 Major grins
    edited May 12, 2009
    Fly into Portland and take the extra hr to drive up RT 1 to bar harbor you wont be disappointed.
  • Options
    redleashredleash Registered Users Posts: 3,840 Major grins
    edited May 12, 2009
    Ditto to Corey's advice--take the drive from Portland. It's easy to get to the Portland Head Light if you arrive early enough to shoot that and then drive up the coast.
    "But ask the animals, and they will teach you." (Job 12:7)

Lauren Blackwell
    www.redleashphoto.com
  • Options
    dlscott56dlscott56 Registered Users Posts: 1,324 Major grins
    edited May 19, 2009
    Room Question
    I've just been pulled off the wait list! Yahooo! wings.gif

Now I have a question. My wife will be traveling with me. She's NOT participating in the shootout! SO, do I book a room using the DGrin Shootout rates, OR, do I have to take care of my own room so that I don't take a spot that could be used by another participant?

I'm going either way, just don't want to cheat anyone out of a spot.
  • Options
    aktseaktse Registered Users Posts: 1,928 Major grins
    edited May 19, 2009
    dlscott56 wrote:
    I've just been pulled off the wait list! Yahooo! wings.gif

Now I have a question. My wife will be traveling with me. She's NOT participating in the shootout! SO, do I book a room using the DGrin Shootout rates, OR, do I have to take care of my own room so that I don't take a spot that could be used by another participant?

I'm going either way, just don't want to cheat anyone out of a spot.
    clap.gifclapclap.gifclap Welcome to the shootout! You're going to have an amazing time (and little sleep!).

We should have enough hotel rooms and we're leaving the hotel arrangements to the participants.
  • Options
    edited May 19, 2009
    aktse wrote:
    clap.gifclapclap.gifclap Welcome to the shootout! You're going to have an amazing time (and little sleep!).

We should have enough hotel rooms and we're leaving the hotel arrangements to the participants.

Ok, thanks. I'll make my arrangements right away.

I've never been to a DGrin Shootout, or any other shootout for that matter, and am VERY excited!
  • Options
    edited May 22, 2009
    Rooms booked, flights and car next as soon as my wife and I decide if we're going early to visit friends and family.

I started reading through the thread but ADD kicked in and went directly to the end. Sorry if this question has already been answered. I don't have much gear but plan on bringing it all (D80, 2 lenses, SB600, tripod, some small miscellaneous stuff). I hope to have a laptop to bring. Don't know if I'll be able to make any purchases before then, but, any other suggestions? Besides the normal travel stuff I mean.
  • Options
    aktseaktse Registered Users Posts: 1,928 Major grins
    edited May 22, 2009
    dlscott56 wrote:
    I started reading through the thread but ADD kicked in and went directly to the end. Sorry if this question has already been answered. I don't have much gear but plan on bringing it all (D80, 2 lenses, SB600, tripod, some small miscellaneous stuff). I hope to have a laptop to bring. Don't know if I'll be able to make any purchases before then, but, any other suggestions? Besides the normal travel stuff I mean.
    :D Here are some threads that might help...

StuffJunkie's Glacier Shootout - woulda shoulda -if on thread

one of Andy's list

jdryan3's packing list and another one of his lists
  • Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited May 22, 2009
    aktse wrote:

Wow! someone's been paying attention! clap.gif
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    edited May 22, 2009
    DavidTO wrote:
    Wow! someone's been paying attention! clap.gif

No kiddin'. Rock on with your attentive, brain-like-a-steel-trap self, April. thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited May 23, 2009
    aktse wrote:

Wow, very informative threads. Thanks!

As far as filters go, I've got a circular polarizer for the 67mm lens, a Cokin P series filter holder with adapter rings for both lenses, a 2 stop ND grad filter and polarizer for the holder. Any other filters I should try and get?
  • Options
    NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited May 23, 2009
    dlscott56 wrote:
    Wow, very informative threads. Thanks!

As far as filters go, I've got a circular polarizer for the 67mm lens, a Cokin P series filter holder with adapter rings for both lenses, a 2 stop ND grad filter and polarizer for the holder. Any other filters I should try and get?

Dave, my take on this: this is an ultimate show-off-what-you-got-learn-new-tricks trip. deal.gifmwink.gif
    Bring what you have. You'll be able to borrow stuff from others and see the proper techniques of usage. *THEN* you can decide if you want to get that new stuff or not.
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • Options
    edited May 23, 2009
    Nikolai wrote:
    Dave, my take on this: this is an ultimate show-off-what-you-got-learn-new-tricks trip. deal.gifmwink.gif
    Bring what you have. You'll be able to borrow stuff from others and see the proper techniques of usage. *THEN* you can decide if you want to get that new stuff or not.

Thanks Nik. Since I've never been on ANY kind of photography outing I imagine I'll learn tons. Can't wait.:ivar
  • Options
    wingerwinger Registered Users Posts: 694 Major grins
    edited June 30, 2009
    would I be shunned as a Dgrinner if I crashes this for a couple of days. I put myself on the wait list thinking I could do it but then I double checked and I have a wedding on the 11th, so I cant do the whole thing. But I live in Mass, so driving back sometime on the 10th is totally doable and I would love to be able to meet some dgrin faces.

Besides I already have space booked in the hostel....so I will be intown anyways.... :-P
  • Options
    Chile ChefChile Chef Registered Users Posts: 473 Major grins
    edited June 30, 2009
    I wish you could have done this in August, :( I think this would be a blast.