DGrin Shootout 2009 FAQ -- Details

Comments

• Ann McRaeAnn McRae Registered Users Posts: 4,584 Major grins
    edited December 8, 2008
    jforbes wrote:
    Oh, it was made clear what the hotel would cost, which is fine, I was just wondering if there were going to be other fees for various reasons. If not, no worries! I was half expecting to see "Oh, yes, there's a $900 fee to cover the cost of the workshops too!" - something like that would put it over my budget.

Hi - please understand this is NOT a workshop. This is a community event, full of photography nuts, sharing their own expertise. There are no formal instruction sessions, no one on one lessons or anything like that.

Costs: registration deposit, hotel room costs, food for yourself but for the dinner Saturday, and transportation.

Is that better?

ann
  • NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited December 8, 2008
    Ann McRae wrote:
    Hi - please understand this is NOT a workshop. This is a community event, full of photography nuts, sharing their own expertise. There are no formal instruction sessions, no one on one lessons or anything like that.

Costs: registration deposit, hotel room costs, food for yourself but for the dinner Saturday, and transportation.

Is that better?

ann
    With all that being true, I also tend to spend as much or more on martinis, but that's just me mwink.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • LlywellynLlywellyn Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,186 Major grins
    edited December 10, 2008
    Posting a reminder in this thread as well: folks, the two-week deadline for paying deposits has passed. I sent reminders out Monday via PayPal and e-mail, so please check your spam filters if you haven't seen anything in your inbox. thumb.gif

We will start moving those with delinquent payments off the attendee list and to the end of the waitlist if we haven't received payment by tomorrow evening. Rules is rules. deal.gif
    edited December 11, 2008
    Today's the last day to get those deposits in! deal.gif
  • eoren1eoren1 Registered Users Posts: 2,391 Major grins
    edited December 11, 2008
    Hey Kerry,
    Tried booking a room today but was told by the front desk that the rooms were 'locked' and that only the organizers were able to reserve each room. Any thoughts?
    Thanks,
    E
    edited December 11, 2008
    Eyal, what time did you call today? I spoke to our guru at about 4pm, and they were waiting for the director to come in and press a button to unlock the block of rooms. They apparently accidentally clicked this when setting up our account. rolleyes1.gif

If you called after 4pm and got that story, let me know. Things really, truly, honestly should be fixed now. We--your planners and our hotel contacts--are really sorry about the unexpected hassle.
  • cmkultradomecmkultradome Registered Users Posts: 516 Major grins
    edited January 5, 2009
    Tried booking my room today and was told that there are no rooms with 2 double beds left for the first 2 nights of the shootout with our DGrin rate. Only rooms with 1 king bed are left. This could be a problem for people who are not rooming with their spouses. Is there anything that can be done from the Shoot Out organizers standpoint? Thanks

Stephanie
    edited January 5, 2009
    Stephanie, thank you for letting us know. This shouldn't be the case, so we'll look into it.
    edited January 5, 2009
    I'm also going to take this moment to stress that folks should find a roommate before booking a room. We and the hotel aren't pairing anybody up, so if everyone tries to book separately, yep, we'll run out of rooms. deal.gif If you have found a roommate and are making your reservation, please ensure you relay both names for the room to the hotel. This ensures their rooming list and our registration list are accurate. thumb.gif
  • Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited January 5, 2009
    Two Questions
    1. When reserving the room, is there a code or something we need to get the shootout discount? I seem to remember reading it somewhere but can't find it now.
    2. There was mention of a waiver to be signed by each participant. Can you supply a link to it? Or, did you e-mail and and I missed it?
    edited January 5, 2009
    1. When reserving the room, is there a code or something we need to get the shootout discount? I seem to remember reading it somewhere but can't find it now.
    2. There was mention of a waiver to be signed by each participant. Can you supply a link to it? Or, did you e-mail and and I missed it?

Scott, both items were in the same e-mail. mwink.gif I'll resend it to you.
    edited January 5, 2009
    Llywellyn wrote:
    Scott, both items were in the same e-mail. mwink.gif I'll resend it to you.
    You're so wonderful iloveyou.gif - being able to keep up with this is such a timely manner!

I now have the room booked. Waiver will be coming!

Edit: I should have made it clear for others - I have a roommate and she's (my DW and best friend iloveyou.gif) booked into the room as well.
  • cmkultradomecmkultradome Registered Users Posts: 516 Major grins
    edited January 5, 2009
    Llywellyn wrote:
    I'm also going to take this moment to stress that folks should find a roommate before booking a room. We and the hotel aren't pairing anybody up, so if everyone tries to book separately, yep, we'll run out of rooms. deal.gif If you have found a roommate and are making your reservation, please ensure you relay both names for the room to the hotel. This ensures their rooming list and our registration list are accurate. thumb.gif

I do have a roommate but I didn't book the room, I'll wait to hear back from you about the king vs double bed situation. Thanks for getting back so quickly.

Stephanie
    edited January 5, 2009
    Edit: I should have made it clear for others - I have a roommate and she's (my DW and best friend iloveyou.gif) booked into the room as well.

Yes, my message was aimed more toward those who don't have the built-in roommate as part of their marriage contract. :D

Folks, please, please, please do not book separately (i.e., booking a room without providing a second/roomie name to the hotel). This creates more work for us and eliminates spots for others who have registered. Help us out here, neh? bowdown.gif
  • David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,167 moderator
    edited January 6, 2009
    I'll need the re-send on that hotel information. I can't find it. Last email I received was Nov. 26th.
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
    edited January 6, 2009
    David_S85 wrote:
    I'll need the re-send on that hotel information. I can't find it. Last email I received was Nov. 26th.

Resending. It was sent 12/5, and you're on the recipient list, so I have no idea what happened. ne_nau.gif

Please note, I am still working with the hotel to figure out why folks are now getting the "no more double rooms" message. I will post here once we've got it all sorted. Until then, just hang tight, folks! Sorry for the inconvenience.
  • David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,167 moderator
    edited January 6, 2009
    Just got your re-send email. Thanks! thumb.gif
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
    edited January 6, 2009
    :d

Edit: Hunh...enter a smiley without text and it looks like an unhappy face. That was supposed to be a smiley. >_<
  • NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited January 6, 2009
    Room reserved! :ivar
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
    edited January 6, 2009
    Nikolai wrote:
    Room reserved! :ivar

What that means is the issue is now fixed. If you have your roomie, you can call to book your room, giving them both names. thumb.gif

If you run into any other issues, let us know here. Thanks for hanging in there with us! :D
  • DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited January 6, 2009
    Llywellyn wrote:
    Thanks for hanging in there with us! :D

Thank YOU!

You're awesome. clap.gif
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
    edited January 6, 2009
    Aw, shucks. Thanks, David. beer.gif
    edited January 6, 2009
    DavidTO wrote:
    You're awesome. clap.gif
    15524779-Ti.gif - I'm so impressed with the way the logistics of this shootout have been handled, I'm really looking forward to meeting Kerry. I've already met April, Nik, and Ann. They are quality people. I expect Kerry to make it Four of a Kind!
    edited January 6, 2009
    15524779-Ti.gif - I'm so impressed with the way the logistics of this shootout have been handled, I'm really looking forward to meeting Kerry. I've already met April, Nik, and Ann. They are quality people. I expect Kerry to make it Four of a Kind!

We'll have to arrange a VA shootout, Scott. I won't be in Acadia. :hide Maybe you're brave enough to let me trounce one of your weddings, too. mwink.gif
    edited January 6, 2009
    Woop, another important announcement: Please do not ask for king rooms. We did not reserve any in our block nor negotiate our special rate for kings. We only blocked double rooms at our super rate of $159/night.

Apologies to those of you with built-in roomies that prefer closer quarters. If I can sweet-talk the hotel for those of you who already did this, I'll let you know. Can't guarantee we'll be able to swing it, though.
  • cornerketchcornerketch Registered Users Posts: 72 Big grins
    edited January 6, 2009
    who needs a roomate
    I have been slow getting a roomie.. I bearly plan a week ahead!!

Please contact me if you need a roomate for the shooout..

Thanks
    Hank
    Hank Stoklosa
    CornerKetch Studios
    Special Olympics Delaware
    www.sode.smugmug.com
    edited January 6, 2009
    I have been slow getting a roomie.. I bearly plan a week ahead!!

Please contact me if you need a roomate for the shooout...

Hey Hank, take a gander at this thread, too: http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=112254

There are some requests over there already, so there may be a potential roomie just waiting for your PM! :D
  • Ann McRaeAnn McRae Registered Users Posts: 4,584 Major grins
    edited January 7, 2009
    Kerry - thanks for looking after this!

ann
  • cabbeycabbey Registered Users Posts: 1,053 Major grins
    edited March 31, 2009
    A few questions as I start looking at logistics....

Do we have a time on the first day for a meet-n-greet? Need to know when to plan on getting in.

Is it just me or are flights into Bar Harbour insanely over priced? headscratch.gif Like $178 to get from Milwakee to Boston, but $580 to add the link from Boston to Bar Harbour! I'm seriously considering a rental and driving up from Boston.
    SmugMug Sorcerer - Engineering Team Champion for Commerce, Finance, Security, and Data Support
    http://wall-art.smugmug.com/
  • RogersDARogersDA Registered Users Posts: 3,502 Major grins
    edited March 31, 2009
    cabbey wrote:
    A few questions as I start looking at logistics....

Do we have a time on the first day for a meet-n-greet? Need to know when to plan on getting in.

Is it just me or are flights into Bar Harbour insanely over priced? headscratch.gif Like $178 to get from Milwakee to Boston, but $580 to add the link from Boston to Bar Harbour! I'm seriously considering a rental and driving up from Boston.
    I am flying into Portland, Maine on 06 October about 11:41am and will be driving over the Bar Harbour in case you want to ride.