Options

Canon 5D Mark II - Got One? Want One?

Comments

• Options
    Moogle PepperMoogle Pepper Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited December 16, 2008
    Another reason why I am excited about my spiffy new 5D MK II, is that it is my very first brand new camera that I have ever purchased. All my other ones were bought used! clap.gif

I can't wait... I got Canonitis, so I can't open up the psychology building on friday! thumb.gif Canonitis, a horrible mental and biologial disorder that comes on delivery day...
    Food & Culture.
    www.tednghiem.com
  • Options
    Manfr3dManfr3d Registered Users Posts: 2,008 Major grins
    edited December 16, 2008
    Another reason why I am excited about my spiffy new 5D MK II, is that it is my very first brand new camera that I have ever purchased. All my other ones were bought used! clap.gif

I can't wait... I got Canonitis, so I can't open up the psychology building on friday! thumb.gif Canonitis, a horrible mental and biologial disorder that comes on delivery day...

Beware mate, the 4 stages of Canon's success are:

1. Canonitis
    2. L Lenslust
    3. ..
    4. Empty wallet

But it can be worth it :)
    “To consult the rules of composition before making a picture is a little like consulting the law of gravitation before going for a walk.”
    ― Edward Weston
  • Options
    edited December 16, 2008
    It comes on the 17th!!! TOMORROW!! :O I think I am gonna feint my illness to be super severe tomorrow!
    Food & Culture.
    www.tednghiem.com
  • Options
    planetMitchplanetMitch Registered Users Posts: 36 Big grins
    edited December 16, 2008
    Got it!
    Fedex gal finally arrived - but not in a Fedex van - some kind of generic rental - how disappointing!

Took some unboxing pix - but haven't even gotten them off the card yet.

Had just enough time to get a 1/2 charge on the battery before rushing off to my daughter's dance class. Took the manual so i could figure out how to take video. Got about 10 quickie videos and a few snaps. Now, to figure out where to upload them :)

Life is good... now if the economy would just turn around to help everyone get back on their feet!
    Mitch
    NEW! planet5d.com THE 5d Wiki! Follow me on twitter for updates
    (includes mk ii info and samples - all in one central location)
    planetMitch.com my home site
  • Options
    SchnauzerSchnauzer Registered Users Posts: 253 Major grins
    edited December 16, 2008
    I pre-ordered on 9/23/08. A lot of you ordered well after me. How do you think I feel, not having mine yet? I am getting close though, I think.

Not much in life is really fair. At my age you just learn to live with it, right or wrong.
    RON
  • Options
    blaser321blaser321 Registered Users Posts: 201 Major grins
    edited December 17, 2008
    I had my name on a list for a while at a local camera shop #11 on the list. But they got only one camera in at a time. but when I saw Best Buy was getting them in every week I just got off the list and got one the same day. Not sure why Best Buy got so many it would have been nice to support my local Camera shop but I did spend about 2000$ on a new L lens,filter, flash,back pack but it would have been 5000$
    Just couldn't wait
    5D mark II, 24-70 2.8L, 70-200 2.8 L IS
    EF 2.0x II extender BG-E6
  • Options
    ShimaShima Registered Users Posts: 2,547 Major grins
    edited December 18, 2008
    It comes on the 17th!!! TOMORROW!! :O I think I am gonna feint my illness to be super severe tomorrow!

What no post today in here? Ted, I'm disappointed. rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    VanquizVanquiz Registered Users Posts: 199 Major grins
    edited December 18, 2008
    Shima wrote:

Well, I havent posted on my new camera too, Laughing.gif. I guess Ted is too excited, or still charging the battery, Laughing.gif.

I havent got chance to fully play with it, but just did some couple shots in my room, only still shot, havent try the movie mode yet.

First impression, the camera feels rugged and strong, no squeaky parts, nor cheap feeling to it.

The low light capabilitity is awesome, I mean, really awesome, far from my current 40D.

I did few test, shot with lens capped on, to check if there any hot pixel, negative. But unfortunatelly, the famous black dots are exists, even though very very minimum, but that doesnt really bother me, I knew this problem exists before I placed my order, as a matter of fact, a bit glad that actually this is not as horrible as I thought.

Still need to check focusing problem, but I guess even if it's exist, I can do micro adjustment myself. But so far, I think it focus well, 5D2 focus really fast, even in low light.
  • Options
    PindyPindy Registered Users Posts: 1,089 Major grins
    edited December 18, 2008
    I agree, the AF is improved in its accuracy, possibly in speed as well. It's not great on moving subjects, but better than the 5D ever was.
  • Options
    edited December 18, 2008
    Shima wrote:

:soapbox

UPS's tracker said it was delivered yesterday, so I called Best Buy and they said it wasn't received yet. What!?? I had them sent to their store to pick up. Cause it would be easier for me to pick it up on the way home. (after a recent snagging of my shoes that was delivered and left on my doorstep I figured this would be better)

But fear not, you will definitely hear from me when it eventually lands in my hands!
    Food & Culture.
    www.tednghiem.com
  • Options
    edited December 18, 2008
    :soapbox

UPS's tracker said it was delivered yesterday, so I called Best Buy and they said it wasn't received yet. What!?? I had them sent to their store to pick up. Cause it would be easier for me to pick it up on the way home. (after a recent snagging of my shoes that was delivered and left on my doorstep I figured this would be better)

But fear not, you will definitely hear from me when it eventually lands in my hands!

Ahhh, ok. Sorry to hear that! Knew there had to be a reason you weren't jumping for joy in this thread yet. My lens is supposed to come today... but I'm at work all day ;_; I'll probably be playing "chase the UPS man" or some other silly game today to try and catch it after work....
  • Options
    edited December 18, 2008

Now it is available..

I have to wait a good 8 hours to pick it up!! It was there yesterday!! Ahhh this wait is going to be a killer! Too bad I can't pull a quickie today because of my carpool!

This is going to be a tough wait!
    Food & Culture.
    www.tednghiem.com
  • Options
    edited December 18, 2008

Now it is available..

I have to wait a good 8 hours to pick it up!! It was there yesterday!! Ahhh this wait is going to be a killer! Too bad I can't pull a quickie today because of my carpool!

Yikes - that is tough!

another sick day today for me... sorry boss - just can't make it today.

PS the wiki was down this morning but is back online. Several news items this morning and a place to buy.
    Mitch
  • Options
    edited December 18, 2008

Now it is available..

yeah UPS guy called me at 2:30 (I left my number on the door since I was freaked about not being home) and he evidently left my packages on my back door out of site for me (btw I'm really shocked UPS dude actually called me, he rocks)... but now I gotta wait til 5pm to drive home and try the 35L on the 5d2.......

and I really need someone to buy m 17-55 so I can pay off that 35L haha. yay for credit cards, sorta

I can't wait to see what photos you take w/ your new 5d2's!!!

In the meanwhile, here's a few from my 135 f2/L on the 5d2. We had our Christmas feast at work the other day so I got to take photos during work hours of my coworkers, yay:
    438925765_SZKUr-M.jpg

438925942_ZEwTp-M.jpg

438926778_Loyfg-M.jpg

PS - these were my first where I got to edit the RAW's in lightroom finally...ahh I feel so much better being back to editing RAW's....
  • Options
    edited December 18, 2008
    Battery is charging!!! I need to sell my Tokina.

And then shooting at insanely high ISO LEVELS!

Personally, I think that Canon should do what Apple does when writing their manuals. First a congratulations you bought so and so. They can seriously have written this much better. I read the apple manual 4x since I bought my MBP.
    Food & Culture.
    www.tednghiem.com
  • Options
    edited December 18, 2008
    Battery is charging!!! I need to sell my Tokina.

And then shooting at insanely high ISO LEVELS!

Congrats! Can't wait to see your stuff :)
    Mitch
  • Options
    edited December 18, 2008
    439130499_HzXtE-L.jpg

I was testing for the black dots. Do you see any? rolleyes1.gif

Kidding aside, my first impressions:
    I love the large viewfinder!! I need to keep shooting to really give more of my impressions. But I do seem to have a red dot on my LCD playing a playback image of my photos. It is not there when changing menu settings, but... curiousity.

I can only shoot 136 images, RAW, on a 4 gig CF card! holy moly!! I think fiddling with the camera tomorrow is more important than doing actual work! haha!
    Food & Culture.
    www.tednghiem.com
  • Options
    kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,680 moderator
    edited December 18, 2008
    But I do seem to have a red dot on my LCD playing a playback image of my photos.

Focus point indicator by any chance?
  • Options
    edited December 18, 2008
    Yep I just realized that when I looked back again. Never seen that when shooting with my 30D.

So far so good!! But one thing is clear. I definitely do need to get more space in CF and HDD.
    Food & Culture.
    www.tednghiem.com
  • Options
    dlplumerdlplumer Registered Users Posts: 8,081 Major grins
    edited December 18, 2008
    Yep I just realized that when I looked back again. Never seen that when shooting with my 30D.

So far so good!! But one thing is clear. I definitely do need to get more space in CF and HDD.

You can turn the AF display dot off in the menu.
  • Options
    edited December 18, 2008
    Hi y'all... way behind... lots of updates on the wiki, but this new video came out about an hour ago - a trailer for a new 5d mk ii movie (clone of Reverie) - http://engagingfilms.com/ is the site
    Mitch
  • Options
    edited December 18, 2008

I get closer to 250 pics on the new extreme IV 8gb cards I picked up. May grab myself a slower speed 16gb card (so i can afford it, not cuz I don't like speed) just in case too... haven't decided yet.
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited December 18, 2008
    5D Mark II Hates Christmas Trees?

The internet's agog with black spot ca-raziness!

So, I shot my tree in mid-decoration - it's not complete yet, but no black spots! Maybe when we finish decorating the black spots'll show up :D

439240427_oiuNV-X3.jpg

Original here:
    Link have a look, no black spots ne_nau.gif
  • Options
    DI-JoeDI-Joe Registered Users Posts: 368 Major grins
    edited December 19, 2008
    ARG!!!

I couldn't resist, I just ordered mine... cannot resist... must have it now now now!!!
    Modus Imagery
    Moving away from photography and into cinema. PM me if you have questions about DSLR workflow or production questions.
    Film Reel: http://vimeo.com/19955876
  • Options
    norcalshooternorcalshooter Registered Users Posts: 52 Big grins
    edited December 19, 2008
    DI-Joe wrote:
    ARG!!!

I couldn't resist, I just ordered mine... cannot resist... must have it now now now!!!

Who has it?
    Give big space to the festive dog that makes sport in roadway.
    Avoid entanglement of dog with wheel spokes. - Old Honda Manual
    --
    If you wish to travel far and fast, travel light. Take off all your envies,
    jealousies, unforgiveness, selfishness, and fears. -- Glenn Clark
    [FONT=georgia, bookman old style, palatino linotype, book antiqua, palatino, trebuchet ms, helvetica, garamond, sans-serif, arial, verdana, avante garde, century gothic, comic sans ms, times, times new roman, serif][/FONT]
  • Options
    edited December 19, 2008
    DI-Joe wrote:
    ARG!!!

Sorry but I took yours too! rolleyes1.gif

Congrats you are gonna really love it!
    Food & Culture.
    www.tednghiem.com
  • Options
    MrChristopherMrChristopher Registered Users Posts: 21 Big grins
    edited December 19, 2008
    Just in case some people haven't seen it:

Canon responds to black dot and banding concerns
    http://dexterfriedkin.smugmug.com/ - A work in progress. Hopefully someday it'll be filled with many great pictures instead of a couple of good ones.
  • Options
    edited December 19, 2008
    Just in case some people haven't seen it:

Canon responds to black dot and banding concerns

Thanks - just put it on the wiki too.
    Mitch
  • Options
    edited December 19, 2008
    Andy, that is a big tree!

If it just needs a firmware fix, I hope they get a working firmware to resolve the issue, asap.

I get to fully play with the camera today! Woo!wings.gif

headscratch.gif

Well now my list of gear has changed... thanks, 5D MK II. Thanks, Canon. eek7.gifrolleyes1.gif More HDD, CF cards, and 580 EXII need to be added to my already fairly large gear list.

ISO 800
    439629485_aS4Wk-L.jpg
    Food & Culture.
    www.tednghiem.com
  • Options
    DI-JoeDI-Joe Registered Users Posts: 368 Major grins
    edited December 19, 2008
    Who has it?

broadway photo had 75 of them and they sold in 3 hours... I overnighted mine, should have it tomorrow or monday.
    Modus Imagery
    Moving away from photography and into cinema. PM me if you have questions about DSLR workflow or production questions.
    Film Reel: http://vimeo.com/19955876