Options

Canon 5D Mark II - Got One? Want One?

Comments

• Options
    Graham CrackerGraham Cracker Registered Users Posts: 242 Major grins
    edited December 11, 2008
    I have said before that it is far more important to know your sport than to do the spray and pray. Knowing your sport will have more impact on keeper rate than FPS.

I have shot football for five years and have gotten pretty good at it, Competitive Cheerleading was new this year and very different. Football is easy to shoot 1 burst and have most of an entire play. Competitive Cheerleading is 2 1/2 minutes of straight action and my 40D would get bogged down at some critical moments. I was thinking the Digic4 processor would be faster and allow me to us the new UDMA cards for faster speed. Would this help?
    PDG
    Canon 1DM3, 20D & 40D, Canon f/2.8 70-200mm IS, Sigma 24-70mm f/2.8
  • Options
    Graham CrackerGraham Cracker Registered Users Posts: 242 Major grins
    edited December 11, 2008
    Shima wrote:
    The 5D2 worked like a CHAMP last night at the basketball games I photographed. I shot with it on ISO 4,000 at 1/800 f2.8 w/ my 70-200 f2.8/L IS USM. I put it in center point AI servo for focus, and enabled the AF expansion in custom settings so that the 6 helper points will work during AI server center point focus. See below for examples. PS- since Lightroom won't open the RAW's, I shot RAW + JPG, and the files you see below are from the JPGs which were barely touched at all. For the most part the shots were great straight from the camera!

434626248_t3Ft9-L.jpg

434709327_aQdZY-L.jpg

434721495_ToxzT-L.jpg

I have more where this came from if you want... going to make a post in the sports section now. :)

These are very good. I am encouragedthumb.gif about the 5dMII possibly after all.
    PDG
    Canon 1DM3, 20D & 40D, Canon f/2.8 70-200mm IS, Sigma 24-70mm f/2.8
  • Options
    kygardenkygarden Registered Users Posts: 1,060 Major grins
    edited December 12, 2008
    Not stirring the pot.....just saw this regarding the black dot issue:
    http://news.cnet.com/8301-13580_3-10120964-39.html

the black dot issue may turn out to be the (for the most part) non-issue the D200 'banding' was back in 2006.
  • Options
    ShimaShima Registered Users Posts: 2,547 Major grins
    edited December 12, 2008
    I have shot football for five years and have gotten pretty good at it, Competitive Cheerleading was new this year and very different. Football is easy to shoot 1 burst and have most of an entire play. Competitive Cheerleading is 2 1/2 minutes of straight action and my 40D would get bogged down at some critical moments. I was thinking the Digic4 processor would be faster and allow me to us the new UDMA cards for faster speed. Would this help?

Yes and no. Yes you'll write things to UDMA memory cards at crazy fast speeds...however you're not going to have as many FPS on the 5D2 as you had on the 40D. It is noticeably slower... but then again if you can get the shot right the first click or two without having to hold down the burst, like I was doing at basketball, then this may not matter.
  • Options
    joglejogle Registered Users Posts: 422 Major grins
    edited December 12, 2008
    if you're willing to shoot jpeg you can do a 310 frame burst with the new 5D. That's 1 min 20 sec of constant shooting.

from dp review:
    Burst buffer • Large/Fine JPEG: 78 frames (310 with UDMA card) *
    • RAW: 13 frames *

I also got to play with one last night (one of the first 15 into the country) and tried shooting video using the most budget 16gig compact flash card I could find (a us$32 Adata "speedy") and it worked absolutely fine. None of the clips were very long but I'm not planning on shooting 10 min long clips with it.
    jamesOgle photography
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]"The single most important component of a camera is the twelve inches behind it." -A.Adams[/FONT]
  • Options
    Twisted ImageTwisted Image Registered Users Posts: 110 Major grins
    edited December 12, 2008
    My 5D mkII is sitting at home...UPS just dropped it off..wings.gif
  • Options
    blaser321blaser321 Registered Users Posts: 201 Major grins
    edited December 13, 2008
    Well I just got my first SLR camera and I got the 5D mark 11. I also got a 24-70mm 2.8 L lens
    I think the next lens will be a (70-200mm 2.8L IS). after I get over the Price
    5D mark II, 24-70 2.8L, 70-200 2.8 L IS
    EF 2.0x II extender BG-E6
  • Options
    Moogle PepperMoogle Pepper Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited December 13, 2008
    blaser321 wrote:
    Well I just got my first SLR camera and I got the 5D mark 11. I also got a 24-70mm 2.8 L lens
    I think the next lens will be a (70-200mm 2.8L IS). after I get over the Price

Nice way to start off on a DSLR! oh and welcome to Dgrin!
    Food & Culture.
    www.tednghiem.com
  • Options
    planetMitchplanetMitch Registered Users Posts: 36 Big grins
    edited December 13, 2008
    missing in action
    Hi y'all

after joining up several weeks ago, I've been gone for about 2 weeks on a biz trip. Was doing crazy busy days and got sick in the middle (bad cold)... spent little time being able to take photos boohoo.

Anyway got good news from my mk ii vendor -should be here Monday at the earliest :)clap.gifwings.gif

Was able to find and add lots of stuff to the wiki tho during my trip and several others have contributed as well - check the status page for most of it - still have to move the new stuff to the permanent pages.
    Mitch
    NEW! planet5d.com THE 5d Wiki! Follow me on twitter for updates
    (includes mk ii info and samples - all in one central location)
    planetMitch.com my home site
  • Options
    edited December 13, 2008
    I went to Best Buy test driving my car after coming from the mechanic...

And I saw the 5d MK II there! And they had it in stock! But I fought off temptation with a pretty hefty CC debt that needs to be paid off. :cry

The viewfinder is sooo bright and big compared to my 30D!
    Food & Culture.
    www.tednghiem.com
  • Options
    planetMitchplanetMitch Registered Users Posts: 36 Big grins
    edited December 13, 2008

And I saw the 5d MK II there! And they had it in stock! But I fought off temptation with a pretty hefty CC debt that needs to be paid off. :cry

I'll apologize up front because I'm not sure that it has been posted here, but yes, some of the Best Buy stores are getting stock and some reports have them getting them every other day or so. There's also a 10% off coupon online. I've documented all that on the 5d wiki on the daily status page.
    Mitch
    NEW! planet5d.com THE 5d Wiki! Follow me on twitter for updates
    (includes mk ii info and samples - all in one central location)
    planetMitch.com my home site
  • Options
    edited December 13, 2008

But Ted, they have 18 months interest free financing you could have done! And if you were a reward zone member we all just received 10% off single item coupons, which I confirmed DID qualify for on the 5D Mark II, I brought my coupon in (which arrived the day after I purchased my 5D2) and they gave me 300 bucks back :) woohoo!
  • Options
    Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited December 13, 2008
    Shima wrote:
    But Ted, they have 18 months interest free financing you could have done! And if you were a reward zone member we all just received 10% off single item coupons, which I confirmed DID qualify for on the 5D Mark II, I brought my coupon in (which arrived the day after I purchased my 5D2) and they gave me 300 bucks back :) woohoo!

Wow amazing offers you got there very convenient
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • Options
    edited December 13, 2008
    Shima wrote:

I have those coupons!! Don't tempt me!!! D:
    Food & Culture.
    www.tednghiem.com
  • Options
    c-linec-line Registered Users Posts: 6 Beginner grinner
    edited December 13, 2008
  • Options
    c-linec-line Registered Users Posts: 6 Beginner grinner
    edited December 13, 2008
    I have those coupons!! Don't tempt me!!! D:

Moogle Pepper -- FYI. Your link to your website in your sig is missing the .com

http://www.emeralddreamsphotography/
  • Options
    edited December 13, 2008
    c-line wrote:
    Moogle Pepper -- FYI. Your link to your website in your sig is missing the .com

http://www.emeralddreamsphotography/

Oh thanks!! >.> oops heheh!! it has been fixed!

I am so tempted...I can finance it... but .....money...
    Food & Culture.
    www.tednghiem.com
  • Options
    PindyPindy Registered Users Posts: 1,089 Major grins
    edited December 13, 2008
    It's first run was a night time holiday party. This thing simply drinks light. I've never imagined getting these kind of shutter speeds in these conditions before. Just got back from a kids party at a bowling alley and took my 24-105 f/4. I wished for one of my f/1.4s or f/2 but the F/4 held it's own part of the time. Will post shortly.

Also, just the new LCD and the way everything's out of the way of the photo is a big step forward. I hated superimposed apertures and SS. Now it's tidy at the top and best of all, full-screen blinkies without needing to see the hysteria-gram.

The shutter is definitely different. It's got a more mechanical, servo-ish sound and the cocking mechanism sounds different. The buffer doesn't seem any faster but the overall time-between-shutter-release seems a little shorter. Haven't been able to really test AF yet beyond simply using it.
  • Options
    edited December 13, 2008
    I am going to ignore these threads for a while... :cry temptation developing further..

KNowing myself very well I am probably going to cave in.... :(
    Food & Culture.
    www.tednghiem.com
  • Options
    edited December 13, 2008
    It certainly is quite a treat of a camera! I took photos with it at the martial arts belt test today as well as at my husband's work's Christmas party this evening. Took way too many, so I'll be editing for a while. I just can't wait for LR2 to release the 2.2 update so I can support RAW's on there... been shooting in JPG until then (and for those of you who know me, you know I hate JPG, lol).

Also, used the 300 bucks I got back from Best Buy w/ my 10% off coupon to buy 3 Sandisk Extreme IV (the UDMA ones) 8GB cards... they have that super cool promotion going on that if I buy 3 I'll get $150 off.... so at the end of the day when I get the mail in rebate back, 3 8GB UDMA for 100 bucks (when normal is 80 bucks for ONE). Crazy deals really help my need for fast cards on the new camera! :)

5D2 + Me = Love
  • Options
    edited December 14, 2008
    Just wanted to let everyone know that I've done some digging and looks like Lightroom 2.2 (which supports 5D Mk II RAW finally) will be released on December 16th... which is right around the same time my 8GB UDMA cards should come... so yay! I'll have space to save lots of RAWs again and the ability to edit them at the same time! (because the amount of RAW's I can save on 4GB cards is sad, heh)
  • Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,825 moderator
    edited December 14, 2008
    Shima wrote:
    ... (because the amount of RAW's I can save on 4GB cards is sad, heh)

For those of us that used to shoot 35mm film cassettes (36 exposures max) or medium format (32 exposures max) or large format (one-at-a-time), "sad" is a relative term. :D
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    edited December 14, 2008
    The way I see it, as with other spiffy new cameras, is that buying one opens the can of money worms even more. You buy the gear, then you need to buy the memory cards, then you need to buy all the spiffy glass...

The painful cycle never ends!! The only thing that ends is the bank account!!! Come on 11:00 I need to get to best buy to finance!!! rolleyes1.gif

...I really have to stop coming on to these forums...

Mine is coming in on the 19th of December!
    Food & Culture.
    www.tednghiem.com
  • Options
    edited December 14, 2008
    The way I see it, as with other spiffy new cameras, is that buying one opens the can of money worms even more. You buy the gear, then you need to buy the memory cards, then you need to buy all the spiffy glass...

The painful cycle never ends!! The only thing that ends is the bank account!!! Come on 11:00 I need to get to best buy to finance!!! rolleyes1.gif

Haha you caved! Hurrary! Now I can feel less guilty when we talk.

Yeah I was hoping to use the money I made from my december gigs (martial arts school portraits and a 2nd shooting wedding gig... the latter is next saturday) for a 35L... that is until I had to buy all the can or worms item.

My Can of Worms so far:
    I spent 370 at Tallyn's (extra battery + grip) and 250 at Adorama (3 8GB Extreme IV's)... so 620 in accessories... plus I also got the accidental 4 year warranty at BBY so add another 350 or whatever that was (mainly because it's way cheaper than my 1,000 deductible if I make an insurance claim)... oh look we're at 970ish, gee that would have been a new lens (or really close to it) oh sadness.... :cry

Ah well, just proves I'll have to sell the 17-55 if I want to get a 35L eventually... will probably start putting that dude on the forums for sale after the wedding gig next week...

PS: I will get 150 back from the memory card purchase (thank you SanDisk rebates) but those take a while.
  • Options
    VanquizVanquiz Registered Users Posts: 199 Major grins
    edited December 14, 2008
    Oh gawd, another person fell into the lust trap ne_nau.gif

I kept convincing myself, that I DO NOT need 5D Mk2 at this moment yet ...

Alas, I FAILED rolleyes1.gif Welcome to the club, Moogle

Mine is scheduled to arrive Dec, 16th wings.gif

All thanks to Cat, for transferring her spot at Tallyns to me, I was at much lowered spot before, and also due to some people cancelling the orders, I got mine shipped yesterday at sooner time.

• Options
    edited December 14, 2008
    Vanquiz wrote:
    Oh gawd, another person fell into the lust trap ne_nau.gif

I kept convincing myself, that I DO NOT need 5D Mk2 at this moment yet ...

Alas, I FAILED rolleyes1.gif Welcome to the club, Moogle

Mine is scheduled to arrive Dec, 16th wings.gif

All thanks to Cat, for transferring her spot at Tallyns to me, I was at much lowered spot before, and also due to some people cancelling the orders, I got mine shipped yesterday at sooner time.

We are doing this economy good. Not our banks accounts though. At least we are all in this together! One 5D MK II at a time!
    Food & Culture.
    www.tednghiem.com
  • Options
    dlplumerdlplumer Registered Users Posts: 8,081 Major grins
    edited December 14, 2008
    What does this sell for today vs. 1 month from now?
  • Options
    edited December 14, 2008
    Probably go up in a month if you look on Ebay. Right now, I got my body for 2600 flat. 10% off from best buy.

I don't see this go down until a year passes.
    Food & Culture.
    www.tednghiem.com
  • Options
    dlplumerdlplumer Registered Users Posts: 8,081 Major grins
    edited December 14, 2008
    Probably go up in a month if you look on Ebay. Right now, I got my body for 2600 flat. 10% off from best buy.

I don't see this go down until a year passes.

So why is it 4800 on Amazon and 2600 pre-ordered from B&H and Ritz?
  • Options
    VanquizVanquiz Registered Users Posts: 199 Major grins
    edited December 14, 2008
    dlplumer wrote:
    So why is it 4800 on Amazon and 2600 pre-ordered from B&H and Ritz?

I believe you meant $2699, that's the original official price for the body only, on Amazon, the seller just jacked up the price, just because they can, and they knew that some rich idiot people might buy it because they dont want to wait.

I just found a nice review for 5D Mk2 HERE. Hope this can ease our eagerness while we wait for our camera, and perhaps make more people fall into the lust trap?mwink.gif