Options

Canon 5D Mark II - Got One? Want One?

Comments

• Options
    Moogle PepperMoogle Pepper Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited December 14, 2008
    Opportunistic sellers. That's all. They know there is a huge demand, so they will mark it up knowing that there will be someone willing to pay for it. It is like the PS3 and that sort when they came out in limited numbers, people were willing to pay upward to 1000 for one. Well that is one reason, though there might be another.
    Food & Culture.
    www.tednghiem.com
  • Options
    edited December 14, 2008
    Vanquiz wrote:
    I believe you meant $2699, that's the original official price for the body only, on Amazon, the seller just jacked up the price, just because they can, and they knew that some rich idiot people might buy it because they dont want to wait.

I just found a nice review for 5D Mk2 HERE. Hope this can ease our eagerness while we wait for our camera, and perhaps make more people fall into the lust trap?mwink.gif

NO DON'T DO IT! DON'T!! Don't buy FF awesomeness that shoots are ridiculous ISO levels!!!!
    Food & Culture.
    www.tednghiem.com
  • Options
    ShimaShima Registered Users Posts: 2,547 Major grins
    edited December 14, 2008
    Probably go up in a month if you look on Ebay. Right now, I got my body for 2600 flat. 10% off from best buy.

I don't see this go down until a year passes.

Amen for the 10% reward zone coupons :) Off to my photographer friend's house to show off the 5D2 awesomeness. (She's a 40D / 20D lover currently, we'll see if I can skew that, hehe)
  • Options
    planetMitchplanetMitch Registered Users Posts: 36 Big grins
    edited December 14, 2008
    Shima wrote:
    Amen for the 10% reward zone coupons :)

I've seen 'reward zone' coupons here and other places - but anyone can use the 10% off coupon i have on the wiki... the problem is finding a BB that has the 5d mk ii in stock :)
    Mitch
    NEW! planet5d.com THE 5d Wiki! Follow me on twitter for updates
    (includes mk ii info and samples - all in one central location)
    planetMitch.com my home site
  • Options
    edited December 14, 2008
    There were three at the best buy's warehouse when I ordered. I got one! There might be two left that someone can try to see if they can order to their bb!
    Food & Culture.
    www.tednghiem.com
  • Options
    Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited December 14, 2008
    There were three at the best buy's warehouse when I ordered. I got one! There might be two left that someone can try to see if they can order to their bb!

So you got it ! Many congrats clap.gif
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • Options
    edited December 14, 2008
    Not yet! the 19th!! In time for a celebration up in North Jersey!
    Food & Culture.
    www.tednghiem.com
  • Options
    rwellsrwells Registered Users Posts: 6,084 Major grins
    edited December 14, 2008
    Shima wrote:
    Amen for the 10% reward zone coupons :) Off to my photographer friend's house to show off the 5D2 awesomeness. (She's a 40D / 20D lover currently, we'll see if I can skew that, hehe)

I don't understand...

The Best Buy 10% off card I received specifically states on the back that among other items, Digital SLR camera's are excluded. It wouldn't take it during checkout.

Can you please explain how you got the 10% discount?
    Randy
  • Options
    edited December 14, 2008
    It doesn't take sony dslrs. At least that is what the guy told me.
    Food & Culture.
    www.tednghiem.com
  • Options
    edited December 14, 2008
    It doesn't take sony dslrs. At least that is what the guy told me.

Yup, ditto what Ted said, read the back more carefully, it specifically states that Sony DSLR's are not included. Doesn't mention Canon or Nikon, therefore both are eligible.
  • Options
    edited December 14, 2008
    Yeah also, if you have three bring all three of them. Cause two of them do not count. Not sure which one did, but me and the dude went through all of them to find the ONE COUPON TO RULE THEM ALL! :D ( I was watching LoTR this weekend ho ho ho!)
    Food & Culture.
    www.tednghiem.com
  • Options
    rwellsrwells Registered Users Posts: 6,084 Major grins
    edited December 14, 2008
    Shima wrote:
    Yup, ditto what Ted said, read the back more carefully, it specifically states that Sony DSLR's are not included. Doesn't mention Canon or Nikon, therefore both are eligible.

Guess they sent out different cards then, mine specifically states on back under excluded: Digital SLR camera

bummer :cry
    Randy
  • Options
    edited December 14, 2008
    That is strange. I figure everyone gets the same cards... ne_nau.gif
    Food & Culture.
    www.tednghiem.com
  • Options
    edited December 14, 2008
    That is strange. I figure everyone gets the same cards... ne_nau.gif

Maybe it's a regional thing, mine, like yours Ted, only excluded Sony. ne_nau.gif
  • Options
    edited December 14, 2008
    Well this means I am definitely going to need more storage space. Which also means... more CF cards. I might as well just get a ton of 8 GB CF cards.
    Food & Culture.
    www.tednghiem.com
  • Options
    edited December 14, 2008
    Well this means I am definitely going to need more storage space. Which also means... more CF cards. I might as well just get a ton of 8 GB CF cards.

Do what I did, 3 8GB cards from Adorama at 79.99 each (or B&H if you like, but Adorama has free shipping) initial cost for the Extreme IV cards will be about 240... then complete the mail in rebate going on w/ Sandisk, and get 150 bucks back! Tada, lots of storage space and money back too :)
  • Options
    edited December 14, 2008
    What is the total you can take on 4 gb with raw? 2?
    Food & Culture.
    www.tednghiem.com
  • Options
    edited December 14, 2008

I'll let you know when i get my mk ii Tuesday :)

I too got 8gb cards from Sandisk when they were doing an earlier rebate. Buy 3, it is much cheaper that way!
    Mitch
  • Options
    edited December 15, 2008

I get a little over 100 pictures when I shoot in RAW on a 4GB card. Hence the buying of 8GB UDMA cards. I would have purchased 16GB cards instead, except per gigabyte it's cheaper to go w/ 8GB cards. (Though i'm still contemplating getting one 16GB card, non UDMA, for things that don't need speed / just in case)
  • Options
    VanquizVanquiz Registered Users Posts: 199 Major grins
    edited December 15, 2008
    I just found this stabilizer while browsing on Ebay, what do you guys think?

LINK
  • Options
    joglejogle Registered Users Posts: 422 Major grins
    edited December 15, 2008
    Vanquiz wrote:
    I just found this stabilizer while browsing on Ebay, what do you guys think?

LINK

I work in film where the real big daddy steady cams are used and I've used a few of these kinda smaller ones for video cameras and you can't really go wrong with them, the key thing to look for is the ease of tweaking all the weights, if you add more weight to the top, you have to add more to the bottom (or make the lower pole longer) and if you add a different lens you're going to have to move the camera back or forward so the center of balance is the same. this kinda stuff is easy to do but takes time.

the other thing you want to do is chase things around your yard, trying to keep them in frame, it takes tiny taps to turn the camera but you want to do it 3 seconds before you actually want to turn. These take a while to master, and you won't watch shows like ER (the first tv show to make real day to day use of a steadycam) the same way again.
    jamesOgle photography
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]"The single most important component of a camera is the twelve inches behind it." -A.Adams[/FONT]
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,911 moderator
    edited December 15, 2008
    This particular one looks kinda wanky.

Glide or Steady cam might be a better way to go. Or you could simply make your own.

I love seeing work done with the big Steady Cam's. What artists the operators need to be to make it look "real". I recall the comments about filming a particular IMAX scene for the Blue Angels film--talk about busting butt to make it work...wow!
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,825 moderator
    edited December 15, 2008
    For stabilizing video I used to take a small and lightweight tripod with the legs collapsed and snug, like about to transport, and then attach it to the camcorder. Supporting the camera with only my hand "under" the camera and balanced at the pivot point/center-of-gravity (resting on the first joint of the index finger), I could produce a plausible "steadicam" look of gliding video.

An IS camera/lens helps to eliminate some of the undesirable jerky motion with a longer focal length, but it helps too if you can stay wide.

I was producing a PSA for a local charity when I came upon the technique, almost by accident.

It is tiring to use "any" of the small rigs because your arm(s) and legs are the shock absorbers, but for short and occasional use I found this trick pretty handy.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    edited December 15, 2008
    So Ziggy, any plans to upgrade to the 5D MK II? :D

I think I will be one of the slowest adopters of video footage. I tend to be jerky with video recording! And having that jerking around at high rez is surely not good.

4 more days till it arrives at Best Buy for me to pick it up! Should I call off sick? rolleyes1.gif
    Food & Culture.
    www.tednghiem.com
  • Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,825 moderator
    edited December 15, 2008
    So Ziggy, any plans to upgrade to the 5D MK II? :D

I think I will be one of the slowest adopters of video footage. I tend to be jerky with video recording! And having that jerking around at high rez is surely not good.

4 more days till it arrives at Best Buy for me to pick it up! Should I call off sick? rolleyes1.gif

Oh I "want" one to be sure. thumb.gif

It will probably happen in 2009 sometime, unless Canon comes out with something even more interesting.

Good luck with calling off.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,911 moderator
    edited December 15, 2008
    Should I call off sick? rolleyes1.gif
    You're not looking so well. Or maybe it's your kids? I can't tell. You should probably take some time off lol3.gif
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    Manfr3dManfr3d Registered Users Posts: 2,008 Major grins
    edited December 16, 2008
    LR just updated, with Support for the 5D Mark II RAW files.
    “To consult the rules of composition before making a picture is a little like consulting the law of gravitation before going for a walk.”
    ― Edward Weston
  • Options
    edited December 16, 2008
    Sweet! Just in time too! Well for Friday's special delivery!
    Food & Culture.
    www.tednghiem.com
  • Options
    edited December 16, 2008
    sick day
    Sweet! Just in time too! Well for Friday's special delivery!

Check the fedex site this morning... "On FedEx vehicle for delivery"

um... boss, I'm not feeling well today - think i'll have to have a sick day today

YIPPEE!
    Mitch
  • Options
    edited December 16, 2008
    Manfr3d wrote:
    LR just updated, with Support for the 5D Mark II RAW files.

Yup yup, you can get it here for Windows: http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/detail.jsp?ftpID=4234

I know what I'll be downloading when I get home :)