Options

Canon 5D Mark II - Got One? Want One?

Comments

• Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited December 29, 2008
    While we're sharing kids, this is a shot with my faulty 5D2 (it's going back as soon as they get me out my advance replacement) on xmas day. I wasn't shooting all that much because of the problems I was having with the camera, but I like this one a lot. Not the best portrait or anything, but it captured the moment perfectly:

445037037_7MedS-XL.jpg
    ISO 1250 50f1.4 @ 1.4 1/200
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    PindyPindy Registered Users Posts: 1,089 Major grins
    edited December 30, 2008
    DavidTO wrote:
    While we're sharing kids, this is a shot with my faulty 5D2 (it's going back as soon as they get me out my advance replacement) on xmas day. I wasn't shooting all that much because of the problems I was having with the camera, but I like this one a lot. Not the best portrait or anything, but it captured the moment perfectly:

ISO 1250 50f1.4 @ 1.4 1/200

It's shots like this that make me think of selling all my lenses but the 50mm. It really is the bees knees of focal lengths. clap.gif
  • Options
    Manfr3dManfr3d Registered Users Posts: 2,008 Major grins
    edited December 30, 2008
    Pindy wrote:
    B

3. ISO. The high ISOs do indeed look really good and they've changed how I shoot, which is the revolution I wanted. I think Canon doesn't quite beat Nikon here but it's very close—close enough to feel competitive. Considering the increase in resolution it's positively amazing.

Seeing is believing: http://www.photographybay.com/2008/12/27/canon-5d-mark-ii-vs-nikon-d700-in-depth-iso-comparison/
    “To consult the rules of composition before making a picture is a little like consulting the law of gravitation before going for a walk.”
    ― Edward Weston
  • Options
    edited December 30, 2008
    Manfr3d wrote:

I read that the other day as well. Photography Bay isn't known for it's tightly controlled tests and the reviewer's admission that his test lenses weren't totally equal skews it further. Despite what he found, it's clear both cameras perform really well. Reichmann (whom I would trust much further than PB) hasn't done the D700 and the 5DII but he did do the D3x and the 5DII and those were essentially neck and neck. By that logic, that would imply the D700 did a little better.

Wait... I'm beginning to sound like a pixel peeper rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    Manfr3dManfr3d Registered Users Posts: 2,008 Major grins
    edited December 30, 2008
    Pindy wrote:
    Wait... I'm beginning to sound like a pixel peeper rolleyes1.gif

D700 has the same sensor as the D3. 5D II delivers the same noise at 21MP as the D700 at 12MP.

And so the story goes :D
    “To consult the rules of composition before making a picture is a little like consulting the law of gravitation before going for a walk.”
    ― Edward Weston
  • Options
    edited December 30, 2008
    Manfr3d wrote:
    D700 has the same sensor as the D3. 5D II delivers the same noise at 21MP as the D700 at 12MP.

And so the story goes :D

I will soon be doing this test first-hand.
  • Options
    edited December 30, 2008
    445620473_qobGW-XL.jpg

445600133_uAXYx-XL.jpg
  • Options
    ShimaShima Registered Users Posts: 2,547 Major grins
    edited December 30, 2008
    Well here's a short video of my nephew:
    <object width="425" height="239">

<embed src="http://photos.cathoffman.com/ria/ShizVidz-2008120101.swf&quot; flashvars="s=aT00NDQwMzEzNTImaz1Zc1VvOCZhPTY5Mzc0MTdfYnVLM1kmdT1zaGltYSZlPTE=" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowscriptaccess="always" width="425" height="239"></object>
  • Options
    edited December 31, 2008
    50mm f/1.4, @ 2.8, 1/320s, ISO 1600. Loving this thing for portraits.

445645316_8htcf-XL.jpg
  • Options
    darkdragondarkdragon Registered Users Posts: 1,051 Major grins
    edited December 31, 2008
    i came accross this short video produced entirely on the 5DII with Nikon 17-35 f2.8 and Contax/Zeiss 85mm f1.4 lenses. The thing I was so interested about with this one is that it is done more run&gun ENG style than the short film style we see most often with the 5DII samples around the net. This one also has quite a few pull focus shots, just proving if you know what you are doing you can focus (manually) on the fly.

http://www.vimeo.com/2611564

I hope this was somewhat helpful for folks, I know I found it interesting to watch. I just wish these cameras would be easier to find already (and not in the kit form).
    ~ Lisa
  • Options
    edited December 31, 2008
    darkdragon wrote:
    i came accross this short video produced entirely on the 5DII with Nikon 17-35 f2.8 and Contax/Zeiss 85mm f1.4 lenses. The thing I was so interested about with this one is that it is done more run&gun ENG style than the short film style we see most often with the 5DII samples around the net. This one also has quite a few pull focus shots, just proving if you know what you are doing you can focus (manually) on the fly.

http://www.vimeo.com/2611564

I hope this was somewhat helpful for folks, I know I found it interesting to watch. I just wish these cameras would be easier to find already (and not in the kit form).

That's awesome! clap.gif
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    edited December 31, 2008
    Started playing with racking my focus and it's something you could definitely develop a muscle memory for. Cool vid.
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,911 moderator
    edited December 31, 2008
    I think folks that shoot video are more used to manual focus and may not be as bothered by the lack of auto focus. I know when I was shooting more video, I hated AF. Nothing like a stray walker to hoark your focus.

That short is nicely done.
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,827 moderator
    edited December 31, 2008
    I would love to see some lenses adapted or converted for use with the 5D MKII which had a rack-focus with stops, just for video. thumb.gifclap
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    eichert12eichert12 Registered Users Posts: 100 Major grins
    edited December 31, 2008
    So periodically checking this thread as well as some other forums had me wanting a 5D mark II. The thing is I absolutely did not need one. I'm just a hobbyist photographer who likes taking shots of my kids, family, and friends and my 40D is serving those needs just fine....but...I got a notification about the 5D being in stock at Amazon and ended up making an impulse purchase. I actually re-considered my purchase and was going to cancel but it was already "being prepared for shipment". So now I'm going to be getting a Mark II on friday and need to decide if I should keep it, or perhaps sell it to someone.

Can anyone help me decide what to do?
  • Options
    edited December 31, 2008
    eichert12 wrote:

Can anyone help me decide what to do?

I suggest you start with your wife. She understands your financial obligations better than any of us.
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    puzzledpaulpuzzledpaul Registered Users Posts: 1,621 Major grins
    edited December 31, 2008
    << I absolutely did not need one >>
    << my 40D is serving those needs just fine >>

On the basis of the above, sell it - it's just another (expensive) bit of kit that's irrelevant to your needs atm - you'd also need to up(r)date your workflow assets too. If these 'needs' change with time, get one then ... and it'll probably be cheaper :)

pp
  • Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,827 moderator
    edited December 31, 2008
    DavidTO wrote:
    I suggest you start with your wife. She understands your financial obligations better than any of us.

Eichert12,

Be sure and let us know how that works for you.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    Moogle PepperMoogle Pepper Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited December 31, 2008
    Eichert12,

I think you should strongly lean towards selling it, to be very frank with you. If you believe that the 40D suits everything that you want to shoot with, spending that money for the 5D2 might not have been such a great idea. A new lens would have been a better choice, among other things, in terms of a purchase.

You live in Philly? I live in Cherry Hill, if you want you can always contact me to try out the 5D2 until you are absolutely positive that upgrading to the 5D2 is what you really want.
    Food & Culture.
    www.tednghiem.com
  • Options
    VanquizVanquiz Registered Users Posts: 199 Major grins
    edited December 31, 2008
    Eichert12,

I think you should strongly lean towards selling it, to be very frank with you. If you believe that the 40D suits everything that you want to shoot with, spending that money for the 5D2 might not have been such a great idea. A new lens would have been a better choice, among other things, in terms of a purchase.

You live in Philly? I live in Cherry Hill, if you want you can always contact me to try out the 5D2 until you are absolutely positive that upgrading to the 5D2 is what you really want.

Hah, Ted, u live in Cherry Hill ? You're a lot closer than I though, LMAO ...

I live in Philly, but wifey works at Collingswood, so, pretty much we go to Cherry Hill all the time, since that's the closest mall from my our place.

BTW, Eichert, I live in S.Phiilly, you're also more than welcome to stop by at my house, and try the 5D2 yourself, I have 40D, and I didnt regret this new camera at all.
  • Options
    kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,680 moderator
    edited January 1, 2009
    eichert12 wrote:
    So now I'm going to be getting a Mark II on friday and need to decide if I should keep it, or perhaps sell it to someone.

You can also return it back to Amazon unopened for a refund. They're very good about that.
  • Options
    edited January 1, 2009
    Thanks all. I'm still somewhat on the fence about what I'm going to do. The "talk to the wife" suggestion was a good one. Lucky for me I learned that lesson long ago :). She was a little surprised that I made the purchase because I hadn't mentioned it and usually do. However, it wasn't like I was spending money I didn't have to spend so her general thought was that I should keep it and maybe sell the 40D.

There are a lot of things that I would love to have that the 5D provides so it's not like I'm completely satisfied with the 40D, but I could "survive" with it. Things that I'd love the 5D for.

1) Low light performance - I shoot a lot indoors and I have a feeling the low light (high ISO) performance of the 5D would be something I would love
    2) Full frame - haven't used a full frame DSLR but I hear once you use one you won't ever want to go back.
    3) Video - I don't expect I'd go crazy shooting videos but I've probably taken a total of 20 minutes of video in the past year. Since I always have my camera in my hands I never have my camcorder and thus never take videos. Again something I think I'd thoroughly enjoy with the 5D.

My other consideration was what else I might have spent the money on. I'm pretty happy with my current set of lenses (50 1.4, 85 1.8, 24-105 4L). If I decide I'm sticking with the 40D longer term I may have considered the 17-55 as it seems to be very highly regarded. Other things on my list include a tripod and lighting gear (stands, umbrellas, 2nd flash, ST-E2).

Thanks also to those who offered to let me come checkout their cameras. I didn't mention that one of the things that also added to my *want* was that my pops just got one and let me see/use it :)

Thanks again!
    Cheers,
    Steve
  • Options
    VanquizVanquiz Registered Users Posts: 199 Major grins
    edited January 1, 2009
    I just found this video on dpreview, made by Marco and Elvir, the idea was from Free Hugs campaign, definetely the best 5D2 video that I ever watch till this moment.

http://www.vimeo.com/2681050

Very inspirational, beautiful, and nicely done.

Happy New Year 2009 Dgrinners clap.gif
  • Options
    norcalshooternorcalshooter Registered Users Posts: 52 Big grins
    edited January 1, 2009
    Vanquiz wrote:
    I just found this video on dpreview, made by Marco and Elvir, the idea was from Free Hugs campaign, definetely the best 5D2 video that I ever watch till this moment.

http://www.vimeo.com/2681050

Very inspirational, beautiful, and nicely done.

Happy New Year 2009 Dgrinners clap.gif

Cool vid, thanks for the link.
    The original Free Hugs was pretty cool too.thumb.gif
    Give big space to the festive dog that makes sport in roadway.
    Avoid entanglement of dog with wheel spokes. - Old Honda Manual
    --
    If you wish to travel far and fast, travel light. Take off all your envies,
    jealousies, unforgiveness, selfishness, and fears. -- Glenn Clark
    [FONT=georgia, bookman old style, palatino linotype, book antiqua, palatino, trebuchet ms, helvetica, garamond, sans-serif, arial, verdana, avante garde, century gothic, comic sans ms, times, times new roman, serif][/FONT]
  • Options
    edited January 2, 2009
    Very cool video indeed!

The UPS guy dropped mine off this morning. I don't think I can give it up :)

Cheers,
    Steve
  • Options
    Moogle PepperMoogle Pepper Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited January 2, 2009
    Yeah! It is very difficult to give up once you have it! I know!
    Food & Culture.
    www.tednghiem.com
  • Options
    I SimoniusI Simonius Registered Users Posts: 1,034 Major grins
    edited January 7, 2009
    Canon 5D Mk2 first impressions
    Not bothered by black dots or even interested (yet) in the video, I have posted my first impressions with the new 5D
    Veni-Vidi-Snappii
    ...pics..
  • Options
    I SimoniusI Simonius Registered Users Posts: 1,034 Major grins
    edited January 7, 2009
    Cecil B DeBaldyrolleyes1.gif

(In Andy's first post)
    Veni-Vidi-Snappii
    ...pics..
  • Options
    ChatKatChatKat Registered Users Posts: 1,357 Major grins
    edited January 7, 2009
    On order
    I ordered one last week...waiting for the telephone call to hear that they want my credit card number and to come and get it.

I have been using the 5d for a couple years. The full frame and low light are wonderful - I love that camera and I can only imagine how much better it could be....
    Kathy Rappaport
    Flash Frozen Photography, Inc.
    http://flashfrozenphotography.com
  • Options
    davevdavev Registered Users Posts: 3,118 Major grins
    edited January 7, 2009
    Got it (5DMKII) last night, took a few quick shots, will work the heck out of it this weekend.

No great works of art here, just seeing if the shutter went click when you push it.

ISO 800, Canon 28-300is for the lens.

Bailey
    450910821_2bAN8-XL-2.jpg

Stella
    450910818_8cUdw-XL-1.jpg

Dinner Bell
    450910825_QEvgn-XL-2.jpg
    dave.

Basking in the shadows of yesterday's triumphs'.