Options

Canon 5D Mark II - Got One? Want One?

Comments

• Options
    Moogle PepperMoogle Pepper Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited January 16, 2009
    But I use a mbp. Well.. I didn't think about the firewire port back when I used my PC... >.> :D
    Food & Culture.
    www.tednghiem.com
  • Options
    TexPhotogTexPhotog Registered Users Posts: 187 Major grins
    edited January 16, 2009
    But I use a mbp. Well.. I didn't think about the firewire port back when I used my PC... >.> :D

Love FW to transfer video from my Sony DSR-PD170... thumb.gif
    Miguel
    www.kabestudios.com
    I use a little bit of everything gear wise...
    Nikon/Canon/Sony/GoPro/Insta360º/Mavic 2 Pro
  • Options
    PindyPindy Registered Users Posts: 1,089 Major grins
    edited January 16, 2009
    TexPhotog wrote:
    I'm jealous of u 5DMkII'ers...:cry :cry :cry Auto-focus at 1080p is an awesome feature...

I wouldn't cry too hard. The contrast AF can be measured with a calendar and on some lenses is incredibly noisy when picked up by the built-in mic. In essence, it's kinda useless. There are other aspects of the 5D2's video capability that make it better than the D90 and I don't consider that one of them.
  • Options
    WesternriderWesternrider Registered Users Posts: 11 Big grins
    edited January 16, 2009
    Tallyn's is showing the kit in stock?

Not exactly, you can order and will be put on their list. I'm #25 at the moment, a meaningless number to me because I don't know how many they're scheduled to receive, and when.

Waiting is hard.

Now, what kind of CF card should I get? 8Gb? 16Gb? Regular or UDMA? headscratch.gif
  • Options
    edited January 17, 2009
    Pindy wrote:
    There are other aspects of the 5D2's video capability that make it better than the D90 and I don't consider that one of them.
    I'll give you that most contrast based AF systems are slow... so what do you think are the other aspects that make the video feature of the 5DMkII a more interesting camera???
    Miguel
    www.kabestudios.com
  • Options
    edited January 17, 2009
    Now, what kind of CF card should I get? 8Gb? 16Gb? Regular or UDMA? headscratch.gif

UDMA
    Miguel
    www.kabestudios.com
  • Options
    ShimaShima Registered Users Posts: 2,547 Major grins
    edited January 17, 2009
    Not exactly, you can order and will be put on their list. I'm #25 at the moment, a meaningless number to me because I don't know how many they're scheduled to receive, and when.

Waiting is hard.

Ditto on the UDMA and at least 8GB. That will get you about 300 shots on the card at full raw size.
  • Options
    edited January 17, 2009
    TexPhotog wrote:
    I'll give you that most contrast based AF systems are slow... so what do you think are the other aspects that make the video feature of the 5DMkII a more interesting camera???

Aside from the obvious resolution difference, the lack of CMOS wobble, the stereo mic input option.
  • Options
    SchnauzerSchnauzer Registered Users Posts: 253 Major grins
    edited January 17, 2009

Waiting is hard.

I pre-ordered 9/22/08 body only. I wanted it for our trip to Mexico Jan 4th. On 12/19/08 I was #2 on the list and they thought I might have in time for our vacation. Its 1/17/09, my vacation has come and gone and I'm still #2 on the list. When I talked to them last week they had only got in 1 body since I last talked to them and that had to go out for a replacement.

I'll never pre-order again. If you think I discouraged and sick of waiting your right.
    RON
  • Options
    edited January 17, 2009
    Schnauzer wrote:
    I pre-ordered 9/22/08 body only. I wanted it for our trip to Mexico Jan 4th. On 12/19/08 I was #2 on the list and they thought I might have in time for our vacation. Its 1/17/09, my vacation has come and gone and I'm still #2 on the list. When I talked to them last week they had only got in 1 body since I last talked to them and that had to go out for a replacement.

I'll never pre-order again. If you think I discouraged and sick of waiting your right.

I had hoped their turnover was higher than that, that's disappointing. Perhaps the other waiting list I'm on will move more quickly.
  • Options
    edited January 18, 2009
    TexPhotog wrote:
    UDMA

What's the advantage of UDMA for someone who does landscapes & architecture?
  • Options
    Shootin1stShootin1st Registered Users Posts: 288 Major grins
    edited January 18, 2009
    What's the advantage of UDMA for someone who does landscapes & architecture?

File transfer speeds, even to your computer would be one.
    Constructive Criticism Welcome!
    All photos are Copyrighted and Registered. Please don't use without permission.

5DSR 16-35 2.8L III 24-70 2.8L II 70-200 2.8L IS II
  • Options
    edited January 18, 2009
    Shootin1st wrote:
    File transfer speeds, even to your computer would be one.

Let's say I have a full 8 Gb card I'm downloading. Would the difference be measured in seconds, a minute or two, or longer?
  • Options
    edited January 18, 2009
    Let's say I have a full 8 Gb card I'm downloading. Would the difference be measured in seconds, a minute or two, or longer?

I've not timed it and don't have any full cards, so going from memory (get the joke/pun?) I'd say the difference is as much as 10 minutes. Again, this is a "feeling" of time, not based on a clock. The difference was significant. Only you can answer the question of what you have more of...time or money.

Another factor. If your system is up to speed and stable, then you can always be doing the downloads in the background while working on other things.

• Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,827 moderator
    edited January 18, 2009

That depends on a lot of variables but mostly the speed of transfer due to the card reader and host system.

Generally a UDMA card "can" transfer at speeds 50% to 100% faster than a standard card, so a UDMA transfer time should be around 66%-50% that of the non-UDMA card, all other things being equal.

Best case scenario, according to the Rob Galbraith site:

http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/reader_report_multi_page.asp?cid=6007-9392

A SanDisk Extreme Ducati 8GB (UDMA card) can transfer into the computer at 43.3MB/s using an optimized reader and Firewire/IEEE 1394 connection.

A SanDisk Extreme III 8GB can transfer at 13.9MB/s with the same reader but using a reader more optimized for the card can do 20.4MB/s.

I'll let you do your own calculations but you can see that with 8 Gigs the time savings is considerable using UDMA and a capable reader.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    joglejogle Registered Users Posts: 422 Major grins
    edited January 18, 2009
    I've got the sandisk firewire 800 card reader and I find I get about 2gb a minute when downloading the Extreme IV cards to my Macbook Pro. I think the hard drive is the limiting factor now rather then the card or the reader.
    jamesOgle photography
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]"The single most important component of a camera is the twelve inches behind it." -A.Adams[/FONT]
  • Options
    edited January 18, 2009
    I just have to say thank you, mr. 5D2. I need more hard drives now. Thanks for helping me spur the economy! I am looking for a portable firewire enabled external that is a TB. With all these new cameras coming out, I think I need to get 2 or 3 tb hard drives!
    Food & Culture.
    www.tednghiem.com
  • Options
    jeff lapointjeff lapoint Registered Users Posts: 1,228 Major grins
    edited January 18, 2009
    Schnauzer wrote:

+1rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited January 18, 2009
    Schnauzer wrote:

But in the meantime, so many have been sold at Best Buy and other retailers.... have you looked elsewhere?
  • Options
    edited January 18, 2009
    I ordered the body only from Amazon on 1/9 and received mine 1/15. All I did was keep checking until the Amazon unit (wasn't going to pay $3500 or more for the other vendors) became available, then pounced. I think they had 5 get listed on that day.

Forgot to add, I was on a waiting list, but not one that required payment up front.

• Options
    SchnauzerSchnauzer Registered Users Posts: 253 Major grins
    edited January 18, 2009
    Andy wrote:
    But in the meantime, so many have been sold at Best Buy and other retailers.... have you looked elsewhere?
    No, I kept thinking it would be here any day. I hate to jump ship when I commit to something. Looks like I should rethink my thinking.

I just looked at amazon, they want 3399 for the body only not 2699. I think I'll wait at that price. If I don't get a call by the middle of the week I'll start searching everywhere until I find one.
    RON
  • Options
    edited January 18, 2009
    Keep checking back until you see Amazon as the seller. The price will be several hundred dollars lower, too.

• Options
    planetMitchplanetMitch Registered Users Posts: 36 Big grins
    edited January 19, 2009
    Schnauzer wrote:
    No, I kept thinking it would be here any day. I hate to jump ship when I commit to something. Looks like I should rethink my thinking.

I just looked at amazon, they want 3399 for the body only not 2699. I think I'll wait at that price. If I don't get a call by the middle of the week I'll start searching everywhere until I find one.

Amazon said they'd have some on the 12th, that came and went... keep an eye on my status page - i update that several times a day - constantly looking for vendors that have stock.
    Mitch
    NEW! planet5d.com THE 5d Wiki! Follow me on twitter for updates
    (includes mk ii info and samples - all in one central location)
    planetMitch.com my home site
  • Options
    DavremdaliDavremdali Registered Users Posts: 100 Big grins
    edited January 20, 2009
    5d Ii
    Andy, I purchased the 50D in October but after researching the 5D II and looking at your work. Man, by summer I will purchase the 5D II. I am sold

Reynaldo -AKA-Davremdali
    www.creativephotoimages.smugmug.com
    www.edc-llc.net
    www.facebook.com
  • Options
    edited January 20, 2009
    Maybe this deserves it's own thread, but does anybody know if it's possible to trigger the record button for video on the 5DmkII, remotely? Aside from having a really really long USB cable and doing it tethered, I'm trying to rig up remote recording with camera up on a magic arm or similar situation, from up to 100ft away.
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,911 moderator
    edited January 21, 2009
    Pindy wrote:
    Maybe this deserves it's own thread, but does anybody know if it's possible to trigger the record button for video on the 5DmkII, remotely? Aside from having a really really long USB cable and doing it tethered, I'm trying to rig up remote recording with camera up on a magic arm or similar situation, from up to 100ft away.
    PW or some such? Maybe the same way you trigger any other Canon? Here's the PW cord
    There are other sources as well.
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    edited January 21, 2009
    Amazon said they'd have some on the 12th, that came and went... keep an eye on my status page - i update that several times a day - constantly looking for vendors that have stock.

I just got an e-mail from B&H regarding the 5D. They've resumed adding people to their "notification" list, and are apparently expecting a significant shipment(s). I'm on it like peanut butter on toast. That makes three lists.
  • Options
    edited January 21, 2009
    ian408 wrote:
    PW or some such? Maybe the same way you trigger any other Canon? Here's the PW cord
    There are other sources as well.

A PW supposes that you want to press the shutter. On the 5DmkII you start the video with the set button.
  • Options
    BeachBillBeachBill Registered Users Posts: 1,311 Major grins
    edited January 21, 2009
    I just have to say thank you, mr. 5D2. I need more hard drives now. Thanks for helping me spur the economy! I am looking for a portable firewire enabled external that is a TB. With all these new cameras coming out, I think I need to get 2 or 3 tb hard drives!

I would suggest looking at eSATA drives instead of firewire. eSATA could possibly halve your transfer time.

I've got one dual interface eSATA/USB 1TB Fantom Greendrive ($99 after rebate at buy.com) and am seriously thinking about getting one more as a backup to the first. Currently running it via USB but an eSATA connection is in my near future.
    Bill Gerrard Photography - Facebook - Interview - SmugRoom: Useful Tools for SmugMug
  • Options
    edited January 21, 2009
    BeachBill wrote:
    I would suggest looking at eSATA drives instead of firewire. eSATA could possibly halve your transfer time.

I've got one dual interface eSATA/USB 1TB Fantom Greendrive ($99 after rebate at buy.com) and am seriously thinking about getting one more as a backup to the first. Currently running it via USB but an eSATA connection is in my near future.

I don't feel like buying an eSATA connection port for my MBP. I understand that eSATA is fast, but I feel that firewire 800 will work fine for me at the moment. rolleyes1.gif I will probably upgrade in the future to eSATA haha! But I will look for a terabyte drive that supports both firewire 800 and eSATA.
    Food & Culture.
    www.tednghiem.com