URGENT call for photos

BaldyBaldy Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 2,853 moderator
edited June 30, 2005 in The Big Picture
Ack! I'm so sorry about the short notice but there's nothing I can do.

smugmug has been asked to power the photo galleries of a major, prestigious conference, whose name I can divulge Sunday night.

They've invited us to provide a gift to the 630 attendees, which they would receive in a gift bag from companies like Apple.

We've chosen smug mugs. That is, white ceramic mugs with a stunning photograph and a quote about photography.

The ideal would be several photos, up to 20 of them, and different quotes, to go on different mugs so the attendees compare. I can put the name of the photographer tastefully in small type on the photo, if you want me to. And I'll use a variety of quotes.

The space available is 3.5" by 8.5" and part will be dedicated to the quote. Depending on the length of the quote, the photo might be 3.5 by 5, for example.

Stunning photos of Yosemite or whatever. Post them here, send me a PM, send email to help, whatever. We just need your permission to use them as gifts for this conference without, ehem, paying you. :uhoh

Thanks!
Baldy

Comments

• BaldyBaldy Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 2,853 moderator
    edited May 16, 2005
    Did I mention that I have to submit the artwork to the lab by Tuesday night at 8 PM pacific time, May 17th? That gives us about 24 hours realistically, by the time I have time to prepare them for print.
  • wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited May 16, 2005
    So landscape orientation only, sounds like.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited May 16, 2005
    wxwax wrote:

And they have to be stunning?...dang.
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • GREAPERGREAPER Registered Users Posts: 3,113 Major grins
    edited May 16, 2005
    And do you need us to come up with the caption?
  • wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited May 16, 2005
    DavidTO wrote:
    And they have to be stunning?...dang.
    I know. nod.giflol3.gif
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • dragon300zxdragon300zx Registered Users Posts: 2,575 Major grins
    edited May 16, 2005
    I pmmed in my offerings. Whether or not they will make the cut.... But I voulanteered my GGB night shots who else is gonna voulanteer?
    Everyone Has A Photographic Memory. Some Just Do Not Have Film.
    www.zxstudios.com
    http://creativedragonstudios.smugmug.com
  • ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
    edited May 16, 2005
    Baldy, what looks best on a mug? I just cannot make myself send you anything without seeing others, I just can't. I have never made KPOTD or anything. Other than that I have Hallmark type stuff, good for mugs????

And I am not sure what you mean on the size, we should size it and put the type of with a quote of our choice?

Tues, nite? I mean I could do it pretty easily, but birds, dogs, flowers, sunsets, lots of strangers who have never given me a release (that is just for humor).

Why doesn't someone post things like one would expect.

ginger

How are you going to get photo plus type to show up? How big should type be?

Frames? Anyone have a photo of a mug, to put on a mug? I don't.
    After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.
    edited May 16, 2005
    wxwax wrote:
    Portrait's okay.

Here's some quotes we fished out of Bartlett's, I think, unedited (some are too long):

Edward Steichen

Photography is a major force in explaining man to man.

Also:
    Photography records the gamut of feelings written on the human face, the beauty of the earth and skies that man has inherited and the wealth and confusion man has created.

I always thought of photography as a naughty thing to do—that was one of my favorite things about it, and when I first did it, I felt very perverse. Attributed to Diane Arbus

The sheer ease with which we can produce a superficial image often leads to creative disaster. Ansel Adams

What each man does is based not on direct and certain knowledge, but on pictures made by himself or given to him…..Walter Lippmann

The magic of photography is metaphysical. What you see in the photograph isn’t what you saw at the time. The real skill of photography is organised visual lying. Terence Donovan

I have no fear of photography as long as it cannot be used in heaven and in hell. Edward Munch

Blessed be the inventor of photography! I set him above even the inventor of chloroform! Jane Welsh Carlyle

Too many photographers try too hard. They try to lift photography into the realm of Art, because they have an inferiority complex about their Craft. Jessie Tarbox Beals

In photography the goal seems to be to prove beyond a doubt that the cameraman, in his great moment of creation, was either hanging by his heels from the rafters or was wedged under the floor with his lens in a knothole. E.B. (Elwyn Brooks) White

Most things in life are moments of pleasure and a lifetime of embarrassment; photography is a moment of embarrassment and a lifetime of pleasure. Tony Benn

To photograph is to confer importance. Susan Sontag

[photographs] trade simultaneously on the prestige of art and the magic of the real. Susan Sontag

It takes a lot of imagination to be a good photographer. You need less imagination to be a painter, because you can invent things. But in photography everything is so ordinary; it takes a lot of looking before you learn to see the ordinary. David Bailey

…people are always anxious to see anyone who has made himself famous.... Photography ... offers the most complete satisfaction of our curiosity. Arthur Schopenhauer

…the point of photography is to isolate images from context, so as to make them visible in a different way. Neil Postman

I’m not a photo opportunity kind of person. I am at an age where I have better sense than to make a fool of myself. Lynn Schenk

Because each one of us forgets different things, a photo more than a painting may change its meaning according to who is looking at it. John Berger
  • bfjrbfjr Registered Users Posts: 10,980 Major grins
    edited May 16, 2005
    Would it be easier just to go to gallerys of those that want to contribute??

If so, you can go to mine
    see sig. below
    If you can find anything stunning let me know and You'r Welcome.
    edited May 16, 2005
    I also sent a PM with some offerings Baldy.
    edited May 16, 2005
    This would be interesting and go with one of the quotes well:

10174458-L.jpg
    edited May 16, 2005
    What size do you want from us?

Do you want us to put the type on the submission?

Do you want us to just submit and you can crop for type?

I have quotes, too, in a lenswork, but if you want to put the appropriate type on?

EXACTLY WHAT DO YOU WANT, besides stunning.........all of our photographs are stunning, aren't they?

g
    edited May 16, 2005
    Baldy, it doesn't show up................and should we put the type on?????
  • David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,237 moderator
    edited May 16, 2005
    quotes found here
    Here's a TOP SECRET resource for photo quotes:

http://www.photoquotes.com/
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
    edited May 16, 2005
    Baldy wrote:
    This would be interesting and go with one of the quotes well:

10174458-L.jpg

rolleyes1.gif

You can read how to post pics on Dgrin HERE Baldy. clap.gifclap.gif
  • SeamusSeamus Registered Users Posts: 1,573 Major grins
    edited May 16, 2005
    19238805-L.jpg

my entry, dunno what quote goes with itrolleyes1.gif
    edited May 16, 2005
    How about "Available light is any damn light that is available" I think the writer is dead, wrote it awhile back, so no copyright, etc.

Then putting it on a photo?

The whole thing, all together? Am I an idiot here, just asking what you want, exactly, so I can go make some choices and you can say "good god, no!"
    edited May 16, 2005
    GREAPER wrote:
    rolleyes1.gif

You can read how to post pics on Dgrin HERE Baldy. clap.gifclap.gif
    It's all Andy's fault. :D External links were turned off on dgrin.smugmug.com. Shouldn't they be on? Anyway, I turned them on.

Here's another great one:

2553067-M.jpg
    edited May 16, 2005
    Yeah, well do we size it, put ONE OF THE QUOTES ON? more specific would help me................
  • bfjrbfjr Registered Users Posts: 10,980 Major grins
    edited May 16, 2005
    How about one like this ??

20834133-L.jpg
    edited May 16, 2005
    I like Shay's. I am no expert here, but these are not going to be big, should they not be simple.
  • SeamusSeamus Registered Users Posts: 1,573 Major grins
    edited May 16, 2005
    ginger_55 wrote:
    I like Shay's. I am no expert here, but these are not going to be big, should they not be simple.
    and there are some ugly mugs in the picturerolleyes1.gif
    edited May 16, 2005
    ginger_55 wrote:
    Do you want us to just submit and you can crop for type?
    Yep.

Wider ones would get bigger quotes. I'll try to mock one up in the next few hours when I get a sec.

Audience: male in their 40s, senior exec. We want them to (a) enjoy their mug, and (b) see something in the photo they can relate to. That's why I was thinking of the first B+W. It felt like they'd identify with important family moments, their legacy, role as parents, think about their own photos.
    edited May 16, 2005
    This may be girly, it is so not me, but it is simple, and I took it.

21241479-S.jpg

I am posting smaller as mug space would be smaller.
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited May 16, 2005
    Baldy wrote:
    It's all Andy's fault

funny, my wife tells me the same thing umph.gif
    edited May 16, 2005
    So thinking more about the minds of the audience... I believe these quotes would mean a lot to them:

To photograph is to confer importanceSusan Sontag

…people are always anxious to see anyone who has made himself famous.... Photography ... offers the most complete satisfaction of our curiosityArthur Schopenhauer

Most things in life are moments of pleasure and a lifetime of embarrassment; photography is a moment of embarrassment and a lifetime of pleasureTony Benn

Photography is a major force in explaining man to manEdward Steichen

I think a photo that moves them to think about their own photos, family, life is better than moving them to think, "Ansel was a great photographer and doesn't his work look better on a big print than on a mug..."
    edited May 16, 2005
    These are not worked up at all, and I am going to watch the last raymond, but these are the two different sizes you mentioned, as far as percentages. I am not saying they are good photos, I am saying they were the first I saw, and I am busy right now.

22278863-S.jpg

that is a ratio such as 5 X 3.5

this is the 8 X 3.5

22278865-S.jpg

Very different ratios, even as relate to the blk and white with the child. That is one thing that has me very confused.

I will come back at 10 to see what you all have decided and if I think I can help you.

uh, all men do not relate to kids, in my experience. funny, do you have funny. such as the frog that went KPOTD around christmas, etc.

g
  • dragon300zxdragon300zx Registered Users Posts: 2,575 Major grins
    edited May 16, 2005
    Sucks that all my shoots so far have been of single models. No family stuff in that. But I still like this photo.

leah14small.jpg
    Everyone Has A Photographic Memory. Some Just Do Not Have Film.
    www.zxstudios.com
    http://creativedragonstudios.smugmug.com
  • ehughesehughes Registered Users Posts: 1,675 Major grins
    edited May 16, 2005
    If you would like to use one of these just let me know.

Ed

22280376-M.jpg

22280373-M.jpg

22280816-M.jpg
    edited May 16, 2005
    First attempt at a mockup:

22281609-O.jpg

Quote too long? Other feelings about it?