Options

URGENT call for photos

Comments

• Options
    HarrybHarryb Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 22,708 Major grins
    edited May 23, 2005
    Baldy wrote:
    Okay, here's art for the small mugs (I also did art for the large mugs in a separate gallery). We have 13 mugs and I'm still looking for photos to go with quotes like "When your mouth drops open, click the shutter." But we're finally not in a rush.

22803352-L.jpg
    Hi Baldy,

I'm shocked that you were able to get Andy's pic of me on a small mug. I haven't been able to fit into a small size myself for years.

Of course you know I never signed a model release for that shot. You have a choice here before I call my lawyer. Either you recompense me with a 500mm/f4 lens (nikon mount of course) or if that's too much I'll settle for a mug. :D
    Harry
    http://behret.smugmug.com/ NANPA member
    How many photographers does it take to change a light bulb? 50. One to change the bulb, and forty-nine to say, "I could have done that better!"
  • Options
    GatorGator Registered Users Posts: 192 Major grins
    edited May 23, 2005
    All beautiful photos! What a great way to promote smugmug and Andy!
  • Options
    BaldyBaldy Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 2,853 moderator
    edited May 23, 2005
    Harryb wrote:
    Hi Baldy,

I'm shocked that you were able to get Andy's pic of me on a small mug. I haven't been able to fit into a small size myself for years.

Of course you know I never signed a model release for that shot. You have a choice here before I call my lawyer. Either you recompense me with a 500mm/f4 lens (nikon mount of course) or if that's too much I'll settle for a mug. :D
    rolleyes1.gifroflrolleyes1.gif

A mug is on its way! Just let me know whether you want 11 ounce or 15 ounce (or both), and any other mugs.
  • Options
    edited May 23, 2005
    Okay, two new mugs brings us to 15:

22848673-L-1.jpg

22817528-L-1.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 23, 2005
    Again more beautiful images!! Way to go all involved!thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited May 23, 2005
    I want to purchase...
    Pardon me if this has already been addressed, but I see several I would love to have! Will they be available and how do we order? I think I may use some for Christmas gifts...:D clap.gif
  • Options
    Ann McRaeAnn McRae Registered Users Posts: 4,584 Major grins
    edited May 23, 2005
    Wow! truely awesome!

And they would make wonderful products for the photogs to sell (hint, hint, I'd like a whole set!)

ann
  • Options
    gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited May 23, 2005
    Ed...that shot is simply amazing. thumb.gif
  • Options
    Steve CaviglianoSteve Cavigliano Super Moderators Posts: 3,599 moderator
    edited May 23, 2005
    Humungus wrote:
    Ed...that shot is simply amazing. thumb.gif
    It's sickening is what it is Gus :lol :lol That darn Ed eek7.gif Rubbing our faces in those bear pics and now he brings this one out again, just to torture us......lol

J/K Ed knows that this shot is one of my all time favorites. We've had lots of coyote discussions and this shot comes up everytime....Laughing.gif Watch him come back with a Condor shot (probably tap-dancing rolleyes1.gif ) from the Pinnacles shoot next month blbl.gif

Steve
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    ehughesehughes Registered Users Posts: 1,675 Major grins
    edited May 23, 2005
    It's sickening is what it is Gus :lol :lol That darn Ed eek7.gif Rubbing our faces in those bear pics and now he brings this one out again, just to torture us......lol

J/K Ed knows that this shot is one of my all time favorites. We've had lots of coyote discussions and this shot comes up everytime....Laughing.gif Watch him come back with a Condor shot (probably tap-dancing rolleyes1.gif ) from the Pinnacles shoot next month blbl.gif

Steve
    Thanks Gus,

Here ya go Steve

22885054-M.gif
  • Options
    Steve CaviglianoSteve Cavigliano Super Moderators Posts: 3,599 moderator
    edited May 23, 2005
    ehughes wrote:
    Thanks Gus,

Here ya go Steve

22885054-M.gif

See? Didn't I tell you he was a trouble maker lol3.gif

Steve
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    edited May 23, 2005
    Ed knows that this shot is one of my all time favorites. We've had lots of coyote discussions and this shot comes up everytime....
    I showed it to several people this a.m. to test for a reaction and they just gasped and stared. No one had ever seen a coyote do that or knew they did. And it's a beautiful creature. Is it fox or coyote? People just kept talking about it.
  • Options
    edited May 23, 2005
    Baldy wrote:
    I showed it to several people this a.m. to test for a reaction and they just gasped and stared. No one had ever seen a coyote do that or knew they did. And it's a beautiful creature. Is it fox or coyote? People just kept talking about it.
    It's a Coyote, taken in Yosemite Valley right before Christmas 04. If anyone is interestd, I could post the rest of the sequence, but this one is my favorite.

I'm happy to hear that they liked it :D

Ed
  • Options
    edited May 23, 2005
    Gator wrote:
    Pardon me if this has already been addressed, but I see several I would love to have! Will they be available and how do we order? I think I may use some for Christmas gifts...:D clap.gif
    Well, I didn't think of that when I rushed into this... 11doh.gif

Seems to me it's in the interest of smugmug and the photographers to have this happen, so I set up two galleries with final art, one for small mugs and one for large:

http://cmac.smugmug.com/gallery/541252
    http://cmac.smugmug.com/gallery/549683

The coyote and New York skyline shots are not in the large gallery yet. I may have to adjust the New York skyline a little after seeing a production mug because the blues on ceramic are a little saturated.

You have to use the no-crop option and for reasons too involved to explain, on mugs the no-crop option will look funny (the two white strips are too fat). In fact, with the no-crop option they'll print fine.

So there's only one remaining issue that I can think of: we didn't ask for free shots to sell the mugs at a markup, we asked if we could give them as gifts. Does this give heartburn to the photographers involved?

Currently I mark them up a penny so that I can see how many of which are being ordered, but smugmug makes a markup based on EZ Prints charging us less than our retail. And I have no way to set the shopping cart prices to wholesale.

If we were to sell a lot of mugs and I had to track, report, collect 1099 forms, pay, etc., I'd be in for more work than I bargained for. I don't mind the payment, it's the work.

My guess is sales are going to be fairly small and limited to dgrin friends, so can we just let this go or am I sounding like an evil, lazy cheapskate? :uhoh

(You can respond via PM if you feel more comfortable.)

Thanks,
    Baldy
  • Options
    edited May 23, 2005
    YIKES! There's no way Tony Benn made three of those quotes. I've gotta go back and check attribution and change the art, but I can't tonight.
  • Options
    edited May 24, 2005
    Okay, I fixed the two errant quotes. Harry, that means the two mugs I sent you are no good. I just send another two to replace them.
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited May 24, 2005
    Baldy wrote:

Seems to me it's in the interest of smugmug and the photographers to have this happen, so I set up two galleries with final art, one for small mugs and one for large:

The coyote and New York skyline shots are not in the large gallery yet. I may have to adjust the New York skyline a little after seeing a production mug because the blues on ceramic are a little saturated.

You have to use the no-crop option and for reasons too involved to explain, on mugs the no-crop option will look funny (the two white strips are too fat). In fact, with the no-crop option they'll print fine.

So there's only one remaining issue that I can think of: we didn't ask for free shots to sell the mugs at a markup, we asked if we could give them as gifts. Does this give heartburn to the photographers involved?

Currently I mark them up a penny so that I can see how many of which are being ordered, but smugmug makes a markup based on EZ Prints charging us less than our retail. And I have no way to set the shopping cart prices to wholesale.

If we were to sell a lot of mugs and I had to track, report, collect 1099 forms, pay, etc., I'd be in for more work than I bargained for. I don't mind the payment, it's the work.

My guess is sales are going to be fairly small and limited to dgrin friends, so can we just let this go or am I sounding like an evil, lazy cheapskate? :uhoh

Thanks,
    Baldy

baldy, as far as i'm concerned, sell as many as you can and put the little extra something to work at smugmug deal.gif even better, maybe take out the staff to a huge dinner in nyc this fall lol3.gif
  • Options
    edited May 24, 2005
    Had I been chosen, not that I submitted anything, I would feel the same as Andy.
  • Options
    tmlphototmlphoto Registered Users Posts: 1,444 Major grins
    edited May 24, 2005
    Baldy wrote:

Thanks,
    Baldy
    Ok by me if you want to sell them. I would like a mug. Should I order one or can you send me one?
    Thomas
    Thomas :D

TML Photography
    tmlphoto.com
  • Options
    edited May 24, 2005
    tmlphoto wrote:
    Ok by me if you want to sell them. I would like a mug. Should I order one or can you send me one?
    Thomas

Same here, go for it Baldy..

Ed
  • Options
    kudbegudkudbegud Registered Users Posts: 190 Major grins
    edited June 1, 2005
    Baldy...
    how were the mugs received? did they like them?
  • Options
    edited June 1, 2005
    So, update....

1. I got the next test batch back and two things remain to fix. One is the photo tends to bleed on its edge if I get it too close to the handle, so I have to add 1/4" of white there. The other is the blue is too saturated, so shadow areas by Ed's Coyote turn out bluish and Shay's New York Skyline is awash in it. So I need to desaturate the blues a bit.

2. I made up two more mugs with Marc Adamus's shots and will display them here when I'm sure he's passed off on how they're handled. That brings us to 19.

3. O'Reilly, the company that organizes some pretty influencial technology conferences, was at D where we gave these mugs away. They've asked if they can get them for a conference they're doing where they'd need 2,000 mugs... We're considering.

The thing is I think they'd be most appreciated & have the biggest impact at shows with photographers, so we're thinking where best to spend our meager mug budget.

Thanks,
    Chris
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,917 moderator
    edited June 2, 2005
    For those that may not know. O'Reilly (not the AM talk show host) is on
    of the better publishers of technical books. Especially their "nutshell" series.

Of course now, I just look for the O'Reilly brand first and then compare. Most
    likely, O'Reilly wins.

Ian
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    edited June 2, 2005
    It's true, for those in the know the O'Reilly brand of computing books is the best there is.

I used to own a chain of technical bookstores and I'd watch customers come to a subject area on the shelf and just pick the O'Reilly titles.

I love the cool covers they use:

0596008767.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

Tim O'Reilly is an uber geek, and when he speaks most geeks bow.
  • Options
    dragon300zxdragon300zx Registered Users Posts: 2,575 Major grins
    edited June 2, 2005
    I have about 10 O'Reilly's on my book shelfs already. Buy one or two a month lately. Great books.
    Everyone Has A Photographic Memory. Some Just Do Not Have Film.
    www.zxstudios.com
    http://creativedragonstudios.smugmug.com
  • Options
    edited June 21, 2005
    Okay, I added 4 more mugs:

This one is a photo and the artist is pretty famous and a new smugmugger. The next batch of mugs will be used at a technical conference so we're experimenting with this mug.

25622286-L-1.jpg

25645503-L-2.jpg

25630354-L-1.jpg

25630355-L-1.jpg

I'm still looking for a shot for the 20th and last mug, to go with the quote, "Photographs are moments eternally flabbergasted." -Shayna Bauchner.

And I'm still adjusting colors for Shay, the coyote shot of Ed Hughes, and Lynma's shot because the mugs oversaturate blues.

Thanks,
    Baldy
  • Options
    SeamusSeamus Registered Users Posts: 1,573 Major grins
    edited June 21, 2005
    If these are of any use to you feel free

25086273-L.jpg

and

25342262-L.jpg

the gallery is herehttp://seamus.smugmug.com/gallery/582408/1/25342262

Shay
  • Options
    edited June 22, 2005
    Wow, great shots guys. Many thanks! I'm looking to see if I can find the right quotes to make the pic/quote magic work.

All the best,
    Baldy
  • Options
    erich6erich6 Registered Users Posts: 1,638 Major grins
    edited June 23, 2005
    Here's one for your consideration.

Erich

21256213-L.jpg