Options

URGENT call for photos

Comments

• Options
    SusanBSusanB Registered Users Posts: 281 Major grins
    edited May 17, 2005
    Golden footprints gently fade, while golden memories last a lifetime.

22320207-L.jpg

Let me know if you need a high res one. Actually, I intitially called this one Footsteps on Golden Sands but, if these guys are in the image business the memories thing would probably apply better.

You can crop some of the black to fit the mug dimensions.

It is ok to use these images for this specific application and also to include my name along the image if you do find that you can use either of them.

Susan
  • Options
    rainforest1155rainforest1155 Registered Users Posts: 4,566 Major grins
    edited May 17, 2005
    Here's my proposal:
    22322034-M.jpg

I would like to have my name included (Sebastian Hosche) if you use the picture. You can get the original size using the photoid.

Good luck with the project,
    Sebastian
    Sebastian
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    wholenewlightwholenewlight Registered Users Posts: 1,529 Major grins
    edited May 17, 2005
    Hope i'm not too late for your deadline:

4754310-L.jpg

and another:

4754313-L.jpg
    john w

I knew, of course, that trees and plants had roots, stems, bark, branches and foliage that reached up toward the light. But I was coming to realize that the real magician was light itself.
    Edward Steichen

• Options
    edited May 17, 2005
    Or how about an peaceful Amish scene:

21899524-L.jpg

One more:

21899532-L.jpg
    john w

I knew, of course, that trees and plants had roots, stems, bark, branches and foliage that reached up toward the light. But I was coming to realize that the real magician was light itself.
    Edward Steichen

• Options
    florindoflorindo Registered Users Posts: 11 Big grins
    edited May 17, 2005
    You're welcome to use any of the pictures I have posted in my gallery (the "other" gallery until I populate my new smugmug gallery).

www.pbase.com/florindo

If at all possible, can my name appear somewhere as a credit/copyright? I haven't read all of the posts here, so forgive me if it's already been answered.

I'll read through the rest now.
    _________
    Florindo
    www.bellacosaphotography.com
    florindo.smugmug.com
  • Options
    DJ-S1DJ-S1 Registered Users Posts: 2,303 Major grins
    edited May 17, 2005
    Baldy, if either of these fit your family theme and you want to use 'em, feel free.thumb.gif

5838471-M.jpg
    20772500-M.jpg
  • Options
    BaldyBaldy Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 2,853 moderator
    edited May 17, 2005
    Hope i'm not too late for your deadline:

4754310-L.jpg
    Everyone: these are GREAT and I so appreciate the response at short notice. I'll be preparing pics until 8 tonight Pacific Time so maybe I'll get 20ish with quotes?

Question: what's the legality of having an image of a well-known persona or product on something like this where we place our brand on it?
  • Options
    MuskyDudeMuskyDude Registered Users Posts: 1,508 Major grins
    edited May 17, 2005
    Baldy wrote:

Question: what's the legality of having an image of a well-known persona or product on something like this where we place our brand on it?
    I was wondering the same thing. I have some "Ok" shots I'd love to share and help with, but I don't have their permission for usage. ne_nau.gif

I'd sure love to help, but I'm not sure how?

AJ
  • Options
    Nee7x7Nee7x7 Registered Users Posts: 459 Major grins
    edited May 17, 2005
    Whoa!!! Hope I'm not too late to respond~
    Baldy,

You are more than welcome to browse my galleries and use any photos you might deem worthy. One of my favorites is this one of the flamingo I posted a while back-

20934732-M.jpg

One from our Smugmug Yosemite trip -

21853297-M.jpg

A local rural scene on a back country road -

14257302-M.jpg

Our cat Emmie Lou-

631367.DSC00025.jpg

An Easter Lily -

14256508-M.jpg

My grandson getting sprayed by a hose last summer -

14253646-M.jpg

A father and his sons coming in to shore from a day of fishing on the Kings River -

14256819-M.jpg

El Capitan in Yosemite (from a previous trip there)

13827934-M.jpg

Let me know what specs you need (such as, do you need the quote already printed on the photo? What size photos and what resolution? Anything else?). You are welcome to use any photos you like (my name in [small] print under the photos would pretty cool). My favorite quote is the one I use for my signature, but it's not photo specific.

Feel free to use any of my photos that might fit the need, if any of them will work.

Cheers!
    ~Nee :):

ps. a couple of these were taken from my pbase gallery, but I'll be happy to move 'em for ya! rolleyes1.gif
    http://nee.smugmug.com[/COLOR]
    http://www.pbase.com/rdavis

If at first you don't succeed, destroy all the evidence that you tried~
  • Options
    lynnesitelynnesite Registered Users Posts: 747 Major grins
    edited May 17, 2005
    Baldy wrote:
    Everyone: these are GREAT and I so appreciate the response at short notice. I'll be preparing pics until 8 tonight Pacific Time so maybe I'll get 20ish with quotes?

I would NOT use anything that isn't model released. Property, if they're on the list as requiring releases, you'd be taking your legal life in your hands. Most property isn't subject to that. If you're using it for commercial gain, then you can't use famous people, I think. Bert Krages Legal Handbook For Photographers is a good source.
  • Options
    ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
    edited May 17, 2005
    Baldy, I put type on my photos, the correct size I think. When I woke up, I thought, oh darn, what did I do? About 3 AM, I start to thinking I am a good photographer, bar none. No, I don't drink.

I do have the same photos avail, without type, but I have to leave for awhile.
    I don't know what time I will be back.

Please leave me a message if you need my stuff changed, or whatever, PM me or leave the message here.

I see some really good stuff offered. I just went through my hard drive and looked. I tried not to use complicated shots, I do have a few dynamite photos, just did not think they were mug photos, and what is dyanamite to me......etc.

I tried to mix it up. I know the guy, the one kite surfing, a release is no problem.

I wish I were going to be here this afternoon, or that I had never started being involved.

As a note on fame.

Barnes and Noble will no longer let me photograph, ANYTHING, as I was photographing a photo, a good photo, on a book re Johnny Cash. They implied I was breaking copyright laws on purpose. I was just trying to get the feel of books, for no reason whatsoever.

That might give you an idea, though, re releases. On the famous. I don't know who you are talking about, it would kind of help to "know" your person. Some people are not going to go to the work to sue..........it is work. famous people do it to prove a point. Then they would get an article written on them attacking a nice company like smugmug, etc. Just MHO. I am too scared, and I break many rules.......but I am scared, especially when it comes to kids.

I have those, too. But I didn't think of my family last night, and they would have been safe. I would not go heavily on family of others unless very good. I don't, personally, and others don't, really care that much about other people's kids. They might be cute and all, but not with my coffee.

Also, the gender angle, people will/ could be taking mugs home for wife, partner, etc.

And why are all these people males????

ginger
    After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.
  • Options
    edited May 17, 2005
    Baldy wrote:

Don't know the answer. I've used this shot for my own promo because it was shot at a very public event and it isn't showcasing any particular name, logo, etc. And anyway, I'm a tiny fish compared to a big fish like smugmug!

I could do some photoshop work and replace all the logos with smugmug "grins"?? Nah, I guess that would really be bad . . .

What if this were a Nascar shot with tons of brand names, or an "Andy" NYC street shot with a fedex truck somewhere in the frame? And aren't certain landmarks protected? Maybe El Capitan requires natl park permissionrolleyes1.gif .

Baldy, have fun choosing. LOTS of great shots have been posted.
    john w

Edward Steichen

• Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited May 17, 2005
    Baldy wrote:

Not permissable, unfortunately. As Lynnsite says... models are releases needed for recognizable faces/figures. Can't use brands without a release. If the shot was taken on private property, need a location release.

These images are being for commercial gain, and so are subject to the most extreme rights restrictions.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    dragon300zxdragon300zx Registered Users Posts: 2,575 Major grins
    edited May 17, 2005
    party pooper. :jose
    Everyone Has A Photographic Memory. Some Just Do Not Have Film.
    www.zxstudios.com
    http://creativedragonstudios.smugmug.com
  • Options
    edited May 17, 2005
    Okay, great. I got a bunch in email and PMs too, so I don't have to take any legal risks, got plenty to choose from. Andy turned over his portfolio and he's got some great stuff. Don't think people know seemorg much yet (1 post) but I've chosen a few of his too.

25004240.sf_ref_1_filtered_rs_vsw.jpg

Anyone know thegreenegg? Would love to get permission to use this one:

19133765-M.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 17, 2005
    Okay, gut check: this would be final art for one of the mugs assuming I don't have a typo, you don't think I've done a tacky job, etc.:

22347872-O.jpg

The breaking news is we could only get gift boxes for the 11-ounce mugs, which have pics of 3.0x8.5" (quite pano) or 450x1275 pixels.

Type the right size? Pic on the correct side? Copyright notice okay? If so, more to follow.
  • Options
    dragon300zxdragon300zx Registered Users Posts: 2,575 Major grins
    edited May 17, 2005
    Looks good to me.
    Everyone Has A Photographic Memory. Some Just Do Not Have Film.
    www.zxstudios.com
    http://creativedragonstudios.smugmug.com
  • Options
    SusanBSusanB Registered Users Posts: 281 Major grins
    edited May 17, 2005
    The only thing that I noticed is that the type is not centered in the white area.

Susan
  • Options
    Ann McRaeAnn McRae Registered Users Posts: 4,584 Major grins
    edited May 17, 2005
    Hi Baldy

Mine are free game, but for the sports and school galleries. I would like my name included, and am not much for knowing quotes.
    Some possibilities:
    from this gallery:
    http://canadian-ann.smugmug.com/gallery/58566
    2034922-S-1.jpg

2034924-S.jpg

from close to home:
    9547037-S.jpg
    13714179-S.jpg
    14189844-S.jpg

from further away:
    2907733-S.jpg
    3431185-S.jpg

3431207-S-1.jpg

ann
  • Options
    edited May 17, 2005
  • Options
    edited May 17, 2005
    nod.gif Looks good.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
  • Options
    KirwinKirwin Registered Users Posts: 417 Major grins
    edited May 17, 2005
    Hi Baldy,

If any of these images help... I would be most honored.

Here's a link to the images I just recently posted called "Rookery Overload"...

http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=11371

Good luck on your project!
    Regards,
    Kirwin
  • Options
    edited May 17, 2005
    This one in particular is easier to see in the white style, lower left, since the mugs will be white and there's a 1px black border on this one.

Also, someone mentioned the text not being centered. Good point but the reason is there's about a half-inch white space to one side of the image between it and the handle.

22356744-O.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 17, 2005
  • Options
    edited May 17, 2005
    I'll chime in...
    I agree with Seymore about the photog name placement, but suggest you might put it to next to the photo at the bottom right side rather than under the Smugmug logo. You might also want to center the type on the white area (or put it closer to the photo...the mugs can't be that large, Laughing.gif!).

Photos of people can be used if their identities are not recognizable (as in silhouette or they are soooo small you can't tell even with a magnifying glass). However, feel free to use my photo of my grandson (or any others of him you'd like) as I can get you a model release for him (and give you permission to use his likeness as well). I'd always thought that people in public events (such as sports, parades, etc.) or celebrities (in public) were fair game and did not need model releases to have their likenesses used, but it's probably best to be safe rather than sorry.

Good luck tonight, Baldy...you certainly have your work cut out for you!!!

~Nee

• Options
    edited May 17, 2005
    rutt wrote:
    "... eternity through the moment." -- Henri Cartier-Bresson

Feel free to use this quotation and/or any of my photos. Here are a few I think might work.

14533445-M.jpg
    Cool. I don't have to worry about model releases on that?
  • Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited May 17, 2005
    May be too late, but I wanted to check with my daughter.

Here's two of her that I would submit:

8091096-M.jpg

8092261-M.jpg
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    edited May 17, 2005
    Some more pics...no model release needed, Laughing.gif!
    14256491-M.jpg

14256499-M.jpg

13846006-M.jpg

14256791-M.jpg

14256801-M.jpg

13829545-M.jpg

13828944-M.jpg

14256816-M.jpg

• Options
    edited May 17, 2005
    What's this? A squat? I see a copyright violation!

13828944-Th.jpg
    Sid.
  • Options
    edited May 17, 2005
    A Copyright violation? Where???
    :D:D:D:D:D:D:D
    rolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gif
    :uhoh :uhoh :uhoh :uhoh :uhoh :uhoh :uhoh
    ne_nau.gifne_nau.gifne_nau.gif

~Nee eek7.gif