How to Post a Pic on dgrin

Comments

• iamagooiamagoo Registered Users Posts: 45 Big grins
    edited January 10, 2005
    Wow! It worked! (n/t)
    n/t

Edit: Now I'm confused. It was there for a few minutes but now it's been replaced by the web address of the site it's stored on. Huh?

Edit 2: Now it's back. Okay, there's obviously something I don't have a clue about happening here. Anyone?
  • gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited January 10, 2005
    iamagoo wrote:
    n/t

Edit: Now I'm confused. It was there for a few minutes but now it's been replaced by the web address of the site it's stored on. Huh?

Edit 2: Now it's back. Okay, there's obviously something I don't have a clue about happening here. Anyone?
    iamagoo..im no good at this type of stuff either...best advice i could give is to get a smugmug accout & link it from there (what fish said). A few bucks a year & everything is good.
    edited January 11, 2005
    Now it's gone again! What's up?
    What have I done wrong?
  • patch29patch29 Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,928 Major grins
    edited January 11, 2005
    iamagoo wrote:
    What have I done wrong?

I would suspect that your ISP does not allow hot linking and they are substituting the web address. You have entered the link correctly and see it at first in your browser because the image is cached, when you reload the page you see the change.
    edited January 11, 2005
    Thanks and...
    is there anything I can do to get around this. Should I try it from a different site or won't it matter? On the off-chance it's not obvious, I'm not exactly a technofile. I've got a Mac, so no need to be!
    Thanks for anyone's suggestions.
    Chris
  • patch29patch29 Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,928 Major grins
    edited January 11, 2005
    iamagoo wrote:
    is there anything I can do to get around this. Should I try it from a different site or won't it matter? On the off-chance it's not obvious, I'm not exactly a technofile. I've got a Mac, so no need to be!
    Chris

I think it is just from your website. If I cut and paste the URL you used I can see the photo. The easiest option is to use a different source to host your photos, that permits linking. There are some free services out there and you could always get a smugmug account for $30.00/year. It gives you a lot more control, ease of use and it is just a good deal. (It is like the Mac of photo sharing sites naughty.gif)
  • wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited January 11, 2005
    iamagoo wrote:
    Chris
    Yes, I'd try it from a site that allows you to link your phtograph to here. As you might have guessed, lots of folks here use www.smugmug.com. The two sites are run by the same guy, Baldy. But there are others.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • HELLWRECKIN_JESUSFREAKHELLWRECKIN_JESUSFREAK Registered Users Posts: 16 Big grins
    edited January 21, 2005
    How Do I Find My Pic I Posted
    HOW DO I FIND THE PIC THAT SAYS I POSTED.. IM NEW HERE.. HELP

Option #1.
    Attachments.
    (Attachments are not the preferred method, they eat up a lot of Baldy's resources.And you can only post 1 pic per post.)

You have the picture on your hard drive. You'd love to show the world what it looks like. :encore
    First, either start a thread, or hit the "Reply" button in an existing thread.

1993130-M.jpg

Next, scroll below the box in which you write. You'll see a grey area, and a button labeled "Manage Attachments" (highlighted area in pic.)

1993129-M.jpg

When you hit that button, up pops a box. Cllick on the "Browse" button, which takes you to your computer. Go find your picture on your computer and when you find it, click on "Upload." Then close the little box, and "Submit" your post. One catch - you cannot just attach a photo all by itelf. You have to put something in the text box as well, even if it's just an asterisk or exclamation mark.

1993128-M.jpg

How do you know your uplink worked? Wait until you see this message before you close the attachment box.

3127455-M.jpg

Uplink failed? You didn't get the message I just showed you? Maybe your file is too big. If you wait long enough, you'll get a message similar to this one. The max upload size is 117kb. Don't ask me what that means... I just know there's a limit to how big your photo can be.

3127454-L.jpg[/QUOTE]
  • SchockwaveSchockwave Registered Users Posts: 10 Beginner grinner
    edited February 6, 2005
    15389034-S.jpg

Well it looks like it has worked for me! This is my daughter, who is severally disabled and putting her hand in the water, she loves playing with water! Taken from inside the sitting room with my Canon Powershot S1 IS. I might add that she looks very young, but is an adult and this was taken last summer!clap.gifwink
    edited February 6, 2005
    5079233-S.jpg

5077788-S.jpg

5061127-S.jpg

And here are some more taken last year with my Canon Powershot S1 IS!
  • GREAPERGREAPER Registered Users Posts: 3,113 Major grins
    edited February 6, 2005
    Nice stuff Shockwave.

If you are new to online forums I will try to give you a brief rundown on how this one works so you can get the most out of it.

For your shots to get the attention they deserve you will need topost them in the right place. Start out at the FRONT PAGE of the forum.

It should look like this

15452514-L.jpg

Find the forum title that fits the image you would like to share. The list looks like this and is on the front page. Click on the title to open the particular forum.

15452313-L.jpg

A list of threads will open. The ones in bold type have posts that you have not read. (YELLOW ARROW). The ones in normal text have not had a new post since you last read the thread (RED ARROW).

15453144-L.jpg

To start your own thread, click one the "NEW THREAD" button in the top left corner of the page.

15452316-M.jpg

Note that your new thread must have a title (YELLOW ARROW). Type your text as well as linking photos in the larger section. This works much like your word processor with the ability to change fonts, text size, bold, Itallics, text color, etc.

15452317-L.jpg

When you have completed your message hit the "SUBMIT" button under the window you are typing in.

15452318-L.jpg

Dont mean to explain too much, I see you know some of this already but I am just trying to help.

Welcome to Dgrin
    edited February 6, 2005
    Thank you, glad you like the pictures! Yes I saw that there was a place to post pictures further down, thank you.
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited February 6, 2005
    wtg greaps - nice dgrin tute!
    GREAPER wrote:
    Dont mean to explain too much, I see you know some of this already but I am just trying to help.

Welcome to Dgrin

thumb.gif
  • billwbillw Registered Users Posts: 107 Major grins
    edited February 11, 2005
    Testing pic post
    I thought it might be wise to try my first pic post here.

15038560-S.jpg

-- Bill
  • SnuffySnuffy Registered Users Posts: 13 Big grins
    edited March 2, 2005
    I think i understand. Feeling like an idiot and a genious at the same time. Jeez!clap.gif16517103-M.jpg
    edited March 2, 2005
    Great picture!:photo:):
  • davemj98davemj98 Registered Users Posts: 225 Major grins
    edited March 24, 2005
    umph.gif
    wxwax wrote:
    One of the unique things about dgrin is your unlimited ability to post photos here. And we really want you to take advantage of that to share with us your shots.

The forum set aside for that is the Show Us Your Best Stuff forum.

If you're not sure how to post a photo, it's dead easy. So easy we have an illustrated guide. Just click here and you'll see a post called "Wanna Post a Pic Here?" It will show you everything you need to know.

Enjoy!
    Wanted to post a pic, clicked on the link.
    No joy in mudville, don't work, I think.:cry headscratch.gif
    davidsdigitalphotography.com
    Alpha 99 & VG, 900x2 & VG; 50mm1.4, CZ135 1.8; CZ16-35 2.8, CZ24-70 2.8, G70-200 2.8, G70-400, Sony TC 1.4, F20, F58, F60.
    edited March 24, 2005
    davemj98 wrote:
    umph.gif Wanted to post a pic, clicked on the link.
    No joy in mudville, don't work, I think.:cry headscratch.gif
    Which link did you click on? The second one? It works for me. Takes me here.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
  • gueritoguerito Registered Users Posts: 13 Big grins
    edited March 31, 2005
    Is there a prefered picture size?
    Hello!

Before trying to post a picture: Is there a prefered size? Or if my picture is too large, will it be downsized automatically?

I'm asking this because my pics are hosted on flickr, and they store the pics in different sizes (500px, 1024px, and original). I would like to post the 1024 pixel size because of the detail, but this might be a bit on the large side. 500 pixels is very small, on the other hand...

Thanks!
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited March 31, 2005
    guerito wrote:
    Hello!

Before trying to post a picture: Is there a prefered size? Or if my picture is too large, will it be downsized automatically?

I'm asking this because my pics are hosted on flickr, and they store the pics in different sizes (500px, 1024px, and original). I would like to post the 1024 pixel size because of the detail, but this might be a bit on the large side. 500 pixels is very small, on the other hand...

Thanks!

800 px max on the longest side is preferred, so the 500px imgs would be fine. you can always provide links to the larger ones deal.gif

wave.gif and welcome to dgrin!
  • gueritoguerito Registered Users Posts: 13 Big grins
    edited March 31, 2005
    andy wrote:
    800 px max on the longest side is preferred, so the 500px imgs would be fine. you can always provide links to the larger ones deal.gif

wave.gif and welcome to dgrin!
    Thanks! :D
    edited April 12, 2005
    Another Shot at posting a shot
    18740131-L.jpg
  • is300soonis300soon Registered Users Posts: 84 Big grins
    edited April 27, 2005
    Invalid Thread specified. If you followed a valid link, please notify the webmaster

that is what i get when clicking any of the links.

D
    edited April 27, 2005
    is300soon wrote:
    Invalid Thread specified. If you followed a valid link, please notify the webmaster

that is what i get when clicking any of the links.

D
    Sounds liike a setting on your browser. The link works fine for me. ne_nau.gif
    Sid.
  • pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,694 moderator
    edited April 27, 2005
    Linkie works for me too Sid. Mac X Firefox. But you can always insert an image into your text if it is 800 pixels or less wide and hosted on smugmug or someplace on the web by using

"www.your images URL" in the body of the text without the quotation marks also.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • marlofmarlof Registered Users Posts: 1,833 Major grins
    edited April 27, 2005
    Can't get there from here. Wax and Pathfinder: I get the same error message as Dave. I've tried some other threads in that early range, and they were still valid (although some lead to restricted area's giving a different error message). Weird stuff.

Edit: the How To Thread seems to be here now, instead of at the old link. Or is this yet another one?
    enjoy being here while getting there
    edited April 27, 2005
    Interesting.

There are two links in the first post of this thread.

When I click on the first one, it takes me here. This is now the Photo Challenge Forum, so I should probably edit the first post to remove this link, because it no longer makes sense as a "Show Us Your Best Stuff."

When I click on the second one, it takes me here. This thread is still the one, the only, the great "How to Post a Pic" thread.

Dunno what to say, folks, as both links still seem operational. What browsers are you using? Are they set to allow pop-ups from dgrin? ne_nau.gif
    Sid.
    edited April 27, 2005
    marlof wrote:
    Can't get there from here. Wax and Pathfinder: I get the same error message as Dave. I've tried some other threads in that early range, and they were still valid (although some lead to restricted area's giving a different error message). Weird stuff.

Edit: the How To Thread seems to be here now, instead of at the old link. Or is this yet another one?

marlof, both links take me to the same thread. But I do notice that the urls are slightly different.
    Sid.
  • marlofmarlof Registered Users Posts: 1,833 Major grins
    edited April 27, 2005
    wxwax wrote:
    When I click on the first one, it takes me here.
    This one I get. It's f7 (the Seventh Forum), which currently is renamed to the Challenges forum. :)
    wxwax wrote:
    When I click on the second one, it takes me here.
    That one I don't get. It's a PHP showthread function that leads to the Ninety-Second Thread, which no longer seems to exist in the database for people trying to get there now for the first time. May be it's in your cache when it shows for you? Can you go there, try a refresh, and see what happens? But if I simply use a showthread that leads to the Eight Thousand Fourty First Thread (different location in the database, same thread), I can get to that topic just fine so no worries here. You might just want to edit the original post, showing the new location, and people should be able to get to it just fine.
    enjoy being here while getting there
    edited April 27, 2005
    Interesting. I clear out my cache often enough that it wouldn't still be there since the thread was moved. Refreshing didn't make any difference.

Good suggestion, thanks. I'll go ahead and change the source for the link in the first post, as it's giving folks problems. Perhaps it's a vbulletin/browser thing, who knows. ne_nau.gif
    Sid.