Options

dgrin shootout 2006 - official chatter thread

Comments

• Options
    Ann McRaeAnn McRae Registered Users Posts: 4,584 Major grins
    edited February 12, 2006
    Supplies (sunscreen)- gear(filters?) - proper hiking boots....what do we need to bring with us?

ann
  • Options
    edited February 12, 2006
    More questions now - I can fly with American Airlines new 'any day of the week' service but am not at all sure when we will be back to Vegas on Sunday. Shall I plan on another night in Vegas and fly home Monday (a holiday here)? What's the rest of you doin?

ann
  • Options
    nwilkinsnwilkins Registered Users Posts: 117 Major grins
    edited February 13, 2006
    Ann,

Dragon (our SUV wrangler) will be returning Sunday, May 21 around 10:xxp from Vegas. The latest I could get back to Dallas was 8:52p Sunday night. So, you might be able to use this as a gauge. Look forward to meeting you!

Nancy
    Ann McRae wrote:
    More questions now - I can fly with American Airlines new 'any day of the week' service but am not at all sure when we will be back to Vegas on Sunday. Shall I plan on another night in Vegas and fly home Monday (a holiday here)? What's the rest of you doin?

ann
    Nancy Wilkins
    Canon 5D
    Canon 40D
  • Options
    dragon300zxdragon300zx Registered Users Posts: 2,575 Major grins
    edited February 13, 2006
    Depending on everyones flights we will prolly get back around 6ish. Want to make sure to give people time to get through security.
    Everyone Has A Photographic Memory. Some Just Do Not Have Film.
    www.zxstudios.com
    http://creativedragonstudios.smugmug.com
  • Options
    cwphotoscwphotos Registered Users Posts: 763 Major grins
    edited March 2, 2006
    So.....do we have any more info? I mean what parts of the parks are we gonna see? What level of strain can we expect getting to the spots? I bought this cool National Geographic Topo map of Zion and was just wondering where we are gonna be going there. Also in other news my pops let me use my frequent flyer miles to go to vegas. Saves me money.... clap.gif
    ====My Gear=====
    Canon 5D Mk.2/Grip || Canon 7D Backup
    17-40 f/4L || 70-200 f/2.8L IS || 100mm f/2.8L Macro || 24-70mm f/2.8L
    Wedding Photographer
    www.cwphotos.net
  • Options
    David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,210 moderator
    edited March 2, 2006
    cwphotos wrote:
    What level of strain can we expect getting to the spots?

No strain, no gain! nod.gif

I hear rumors that Shay is now working out with weights daily, and is also taking walks around the block so he can be ready for Angel's Landing. Shay loves hiking.
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • Options
    Shay StephensShay Stephens Registered Users Posts: 3,165 Major grins
    edited March 2, 2006
    You're on my "list" ever since that stunt you pulled a few nights ago.

I got my eye on you! :bluduh
    David_S85 wrote:
    Shay loves hiking.
    Creator of Dgrin's "Last Photographer Standing" contest
    "Failure is feedback. And feedback is the breakfast of champions." - fortune cookie
  • Options
    Bob BellBob Bell Registered Users Posts: 598 Major grins
    edited March 2, 2006
    You guyz are scaring me. I think i am going to bring the LowePro Road Runner AW so I can pull it on its wheels to save up energy.

Ive gone out to photograph birds the last 6 weekends carrying an expedition 8 filled with glass to train for the walks. Does lifting double dirty martini's count as lifting weights? Those 2 olives are hefty rolleyes1.gif
    Bob
    Phoenix, AZ
    Canon Bodies
    Canon and Zeiss Lenses
  • Options
    edited March 10, 2006
    So I was reading the National Parks page and saw this for Zion...will it effect us?

Closures
    As of March 1, the following cliffs will be closed to climbing due to the arrival of peregrine falcons: Angels Landing (aspect facing Big Bend excluding Northeast Buttress and The Minotaur), Cable Mountain, the Great White Throne (beyond single and double-pitched climbs), Isaac (in the Court of the Patriarchs), Middle Fork of Taylor Creek, Mountain of the Sun, Mount Kinesava, North Twin Brother, Sentinel, and the Streaked Wall.
    ====My Gear=====
    Wedding Photographer
    www.cwphotos.net
  • Options
    edited March 10, 2006
    Oh darn, no hiking on steep dangerous cliffs, oh the humanity mwink.gif
    cwphotos wrote:
    Closures
    As of March 1, the following cliffs will be closed to climbing due to the arrival of peregrine falcons:
    "Failure is feedback. And feedback is the breakfast of champions." - fortune cookie
  • Options
    edited March 10, 2006
    Hey now dont hate I didnt know. I dont even really know what we will be doing there...im in the dark about all of this. I thought it might be something important. :cry
    ====My Gear=====
    Wedding Photographer
    www.cwphotos.net
  • Options
    edited March 10, 2006
    I joke, I don't like to hike, so I cling to any glimmer of hope rolleyes1.gif
    cwphotos wrote:
    Hey now dont hate I didnt know. I dont even really know what we will be doing there...im in the dark about all of this. I thought it might be something important. :cry
  • Options
    edited March 10, 2006
    cwphotos wrote:

I was kinda thinking (i don't think its been done yet) those of us who attended last years shootout should start a thread with some info so the newbies will know a bit more of what to expect and what to bring other than their camera bags. Anyone else think this would be a good idea.
    www.zxstudios.com
  • Options
    edited March 10, 2006
    info so the newbies will know a bit more of what to expect and what to bring other than their camera bags.
    Expect pain, suffering, misery.

Bring pain reliever, flares, camera.

hahaha

Seriously though, based on last year, you can expect a fun time. There are the hard core "I'll rest when I'm dead" types and there are the "This chair feels nice" types too. And there was a lot of camaraderie and help all around. If you are having a problem, there is someone who can help.

Think of it like you were a movie star :andy who was attending the oscars. You can walk up and talk to anyone, tease the television stars, talk shop, wave to the fans, and enjoy the post oscars party afterward mwink.gif

As far as what to bring, pack your camera bag light. The days can be long with quite a bit of walking and driving about. If you have a choice between heavy tripod and light tripod, I would tend to go light unless you have your muscles tuned to the weight. I brought my heavy tripod (7.5 pounds) last year, but this year I am going to take my newly aquired light one (3 pounds) too if I find myself on the trail.

Each person should probably pack their camera bag with their proposed stuff and go on a day excursion on a weekend or something to see if they miss anything or wish they had left it behind. But bring what you know you need.

Pretend you are going to the beach and the mountains. Bring sunscreen, hat, water bottle, snack, jacket, comfortable walking shoes/boots. Wear a clean pair of underwear to make mom proud too rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    edited March 10, 2006
    Pretend you are going to the beach and the mountains. Bring sunscreen, hat, water bottle, snack, jacket, comfortable walking shoes/boots. Wear a clean pair of underwear to make mom proud too rolleyes1.gif

I second the snacks and water. More importantly breakfast bars. Not many people actually take the time for breakfast when they could be shooting (at least not with my group last year) so breakfast bars will get you by.
    www.zxstudios.com
  • Options
    tonydtonyd Registered Users Posts: 213 Major grins
    edited March 10, 2006
    Andy wrote:
    get to vegas on the 16th - there'll be cars leaving crack of dawn on the 17th. Yep, plan on sharing cost for your car seat for the four days.

It's about time that I start making travel plans and I was wondering when we would expect to get back to Vegas on the 21st? Trying to determine if I should book a flight back on the 21st or stay overnight and fly home on the 22nd.headscratch.gif

I plan to rent some vehicle in vegas and will post that in the car thread once I do it...
  • Options
    edited April 11, 2006
    Yeah I have the Lowepro Computrekker backpack and had that think with all my gear and tripod and its a little heavy. I dont know what else to do though. My only other bag is a should sling lowepro with not a lot of room. I dont want to buy anything else..... :cry

But other than that are we gonna meet up in Vegas to hang out or something? I come in at about 9am and have never been to vegas before. Anyone else gonna be in there earlier?
    ====My Gear=====
    Wedding Photographer
    www.cwphotos.net
  • Options
    edited April 11, 2006
    I just discovered the Nature Valley Sweet & Salty Nut granola bars, specifically the almond . It's better than a candy bar. The peanut version has replaced a snickers bar for me too. Awesome bars, try them if you get a chance.

Cherry ripes got notin' on these bars!
    I second the snacks and water. More importantly breakfast bars. Not many people actually take the time for breakfast when they could be shooting (at least not with my group last year) so breakfast bars will get you by.
  • Options
    edited April 11, 2006
    I'm pretty sure thats the pack I bought - put my 20d, 70 - 200 f2.8 IS, 85mm f1.8, 17 - 85mm and have been going on walks as often as I can - no hill climbing yet, but I find the pack easy to carry when loaded and when I've got the camera and 70 - 200 around my neck. Lots of room in it for a jacket, water, sunscreen and snacks yet too. Not sure if I'll still feel that way after a long day, but...

I have a small shoulder pack that I find awkward and a laptop backpack that is much, much heavier than the lowepro.

Practice ahead......:):

And I get in to Vegas on Saturday, May 13. At the Bellagio for a few days with the dh before the Luxor for Tuesday night. An evening (or afternoon) meetup on Tuesday would be great fun - ice breaker. Jimmy Buffet's Margueritaville really does have perfect Margueritas......

Cheers~
    cwphotos wrote:
    Yeah I have the Lowepro Computrekker backpack and had that think with all my gear and tripod and its a little heavy. I dont know what else to do though. My only other bag is a should sling lowepro with not a lot of room. I dont want to buy anything else..... :cry

But other than that are we gonna meet up in Vegas to hang out or something? I come in at about 9am and have never been to vegas before. Anyone else gonna be in there earlier?
  • Options
    edited April 11, 2006
    Ann McRae wrote:
    I'm pretty sure thats the pack I bought - put my 20d, 70 - 200 f2.8 IS, 85mm f1.8, 17 - 85mm and have been going on walks as often as I can - no hill climbing yet, but I find the pack easy to carry when loaded and when I've got the camera and 70 - 200 around my neck. Lots of room in it for a jacket, water, sunscreen and snacks yet too. Not sure if I'll still feel that way after a long day, but...

I have a small shoulder pack that I find awkward and a laptop backpack that is much, much heavier than the lowepro.

And I get in to Vegas on Saturday, May 13. At the Bellagio for a few days with the dh before the Luxor for Tuesday night. An evening (or afternoon) meetup on Tuesday would be great fun - ice breaker. Jimmy Buffet's Margueritaville really does have perfect Margueritas......

Cheers~

I am thinking about flying in around noon so an Ice Breaker would be fun or a short trip to photograph something :)
    Bob
    Phoenix, AZ
    Canon Bodies
    Canon and Zeiss Lenses
  • Options
    edited April 11, 2006
    Ann McRae wrote:

Cheers~

Me and Nancy should be to the hotel around 9-9:30 depending on how long it takes when I get into the airport then to drive to the luxor. But I would like to try to get together with everyone that night too. I know alot of people will want to go to bed early but I'd be game for shooting pool or even just a few drinks that or i'm sure ill be hungry after the flight in.
    www.zxstudios.com
  • Options
    edited April 13, 2006
    Me and Nancy should be to the hotel around 9-9:30 depending on how long it takes when I get into the airport then to drive to the luxor. But I would like to try to get together with everyone that night too. I know alot of people will want to go to bed early but I'd be game for shooting pool or even just a few drinks that or i'm sure ill be hungry after the flight in.

I am wondering how many people are bringing camo and what colors. I have dessert shadow and open terrain max 1. I'm sure quite a few people here are wondering why I would bring camo. Well, Bryce in May has 170 bird species and im not sure how many mammel species. Camo helps a ton and between landscape sessions I would love to spend at least 3-4 hours shooting birds.
    Bob
    Phoenix, AZ
    Canon Bodies
    Canon and Zeiss Lenses
  • Options
    edited April 13, 2006
    Bob Bell wrote:
    I am wondering how many people are bringing camo and what colors. I have dessert shadow and open terrain max 1. I'm sure quite a few people here are wondering why I would bring camo. Well, Bryce in May has 170 bird species and im not sure how many mammel species. Camo helps a ton and between landscape sessions I would love to spend at least 3-4 hours shooting birds.

Hmm hadn't thought of that (prolly cause whenever I am using camo it's to cause trouble) but that may be a good idea.
    www.zxstudios.com
  • Options
    SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited April 14, 2006
    Food Question ???
    Ummmmmmm where should we shop for food stuff?
    In Las Vegas or on the way there???

Cause I wouldn't have a clue....... forgive me for I am an Ozzie, therefore I have a right to ask dumb questions rolleyes1.gif

And.......... I expect real good answers rolleyes1.gif ... Skippy (Australia)

**** Holder of the New Chocolate Bars ****
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
  • Options
    DaniDani Registered Users Posts: 807 Major grins
    edited April 14, 2006
    Any dgrin ladies not already sharing a room wanna put me up for a night or two?

It'd need to be someone checking in on the 16th though.. .cause thats the day I'd be getting there!

if not.. ruby's has one room available for the 16th... then I could move down the street to the bryce view lodge for the 17th... lol ne_nau.gif

or I could take the room for the 16th and share for the 17th?
    Dani

20D | 300D-IR | EF-S 10-22 | EF-S 18-55 | 50 f/1.8 II | 70-200 f/4L | 17-40L | Lensbaby 2.0 | 250D | 550ex | Gitzo 1257 | RRS BH-40 | RRS L-plates

The Blog | The Photos
  • Options
    nwilkinsnwilkins Registered Users Posts: 117 Major grins
    edited April 14, 2006
    Hey Dani,

It's Nancy Wilkins from Dallas! I'll be there May 17 and at this point have no idea what the room arrangements are. I'm going by myself, flying in from Dallas on May 16 to Vegas and driving up with Dragon 300Z and a vanload. Don't know how the rooms will be doled out, but you're welcome to stay with me the night of May 17!thumb.gif

Nancy
    Nancy Wilkins
    Canon 5D
    Canon 40D
  • Options
    DaniDani Registered Users Posts: 807 Major grins
    edited April 14, 2006
    Woot! thanks Nancy!!! I went ahead and booked the room for the 16th. Looks like I'm all set then thumb.gif

See you guys and gals there!
    nwilkins wrote:
    Hey Dani,

It's Nancy Wilkins from Dallas! I'll be there May 17 and at this point have no idea what the room arrangements are. I'm going by myself, flying in from Dallas on May 16 to Vegas and driving up with Dragon 300Z and a vanload. Don't know how the rooms will be doled out, but you're welcome to stay with me the night of May 17!thumb.gif

Nancy
    Dani

20D | 300D-IR | EF-S 10-22 | EF-S 18-55 | 50 f/1.8 II | 70-200 f/4L | 17-40L | Lensbaby 2.0 | 250D | 550ex | Gitzo 1257 | RRS BH-40 | RRS L-plates

The Blog | The Photos
  • Options
    David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,210 moderator
    edited April 14, 2006
    Dani, I think you'll find there are many of us at Ruby's a day early. (about a dozen???). Diana and I will be there the afternoon of the 16th.

The early birds should figure out where to meet for dinner on the 16th and breakfast the next morning. Most everyone else will be driving in by mid-day on the 17th.
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited April 14, 2006
    David_S85 wrote:
    Dani, I think you'll find there are many of us at Ruby's a day early. (about a dozen???). Diana and I will be there the afternoon of the 16th.

The early birds should figure out where to meet for dinner on the 16th and breakfast the next morning. Most everyone else will be driving in by mid-day on the 17th.

I'll be there on the 16th...maybe not in time for dinner...but I'll be there!
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited April 14, 2006
    and what to bring other than their camera bags. /QUOTE]

Cherry Ripes. Vovos. etc, etc