dgrin shootout 2006 - official chatter thread

Comments

• DaniDani Registered Users Posts: 807 Major grins
    edited April 19, 2006
    yay!

errrrr... I only need it for the night of the 17th.... I'm checking out the 18th and heading to Durango.

Do I need to contact the hotel? or???????
    Andy wrote:
    Dani Yer all set.

I got you a room at Bryce, 2 nights.

may 17 and 18: ruby's inn at bryce canyon
    room charge: ~$93 per room per night

I'm sorry I have no roommate for you to split the cost with :cry
    Dani

20D | 300D-IR | EF-S 10-22 | EF-S 18-55 | 50 f/1.8 II | 70-200 f/4L | 17-40L | Lensbaby 2.0 | 250D | 550ex | Gitzo 1257 | RRS BH-40 | RRS L-plates

The Blog | The Photos
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited April 19, 2006
    Dani wrote:
    yay!

errrrr... I only need it for the night of the 17th.... I'm checking out the 18th and heading to Durango.

Do I need to contact the hotel? or???????

Oy. No, I will handle it ....
    edited April 19, 2006
    Thanks Andy ;)

yeah I know.... and yeah I'm always this difficult :D
    Andy wrote:
    Oy. No, I will handle it ....
    Dani

20D | 300D-IR | EF-S 10-22 | EF-S 18-55 | 50 f/1.8 II | 70-200 f/4L | 17-40L | Lensbaby 2.0 | 250D | 550ex | Gitzo 1257 | RRS BH-40 | RRS L-plates

The Blog | The Photos
  • cwphotoscwphotos Registered Users Posts: 763 Major grins
    edited April 19, 2006
    So the days are quickly counting down. This is a great trip for me as im graduating from college right before I leave. Present to me !! Anyway got a few questions:

1.) Are the people going to Vegas planning on getting together on the 16th? Like go to dinner or get to know you stuff. I dont know any of you personally and it would be cool.

2.) People are talking about who they are rooming with....where is that list? I would like to contact my roomie and say hi...possbily coordinate accessories so we dont double up (sounds girly but we can use the room).

3.) Does an itinerary exist yet? I mean locations and that stuff, I would like to know what I can expect....im just built that way. :D

4.) I have read there are scorpions, snakes and other nasties....are we gonna see a ton of them.... ? I dont like that kind of stuff and am a little weary..... ne_nau.gif

5.) Do the hotels have internet?

Thanks. Im so excited !!!
    ====My Gear=====
    Canon 5D Mk.2/Grip || Canon 7D Backup
    17-40 f/4L || 70-200 f/2.8L IS || 100mm f/2.8L Macro || 24-70mm f/2.8L
    Wedding Photographer
    www.cwphotos.net
    edited April 19, 2006
    I've seen more scorpions in one summer in Oklahoma than I ever did in 10 years in the desert SW.... I wouldn't worry about creepy crawlies too much.. just be aware of your surroundings though!

oh and last nights episode of House reminded me that people should take precautions against picking up fleas/ticks while out hiking about... while there are only 10-20 cases of Bubonic plague a year in the US... well over half of them come from New Mexico and the surrounding desert states.
    Dani

The Blog | The Photos
    edited April 19, 2006
    eek7.gif Oh....now I feel better.....Thanks Dani........
    ====My Gear=====
    Wedding Photographer
    www.cwphotos.net
    edited April 19, 2006
    you're welcome :Dbiggrinbounce2.gif

cwphotos wrote:
    eek7.gif Oh....now I feel better.....Thanks Dani........
    Dani

The Blog | The Photos
    edited April 19, 2006
    Dani wrote:
    I've seen more scorpions in one summer in Oklahoma than I ever did in 10 years in the desert SW.... I wouldn't worry about creepy crawlies too much..

Folks: DO NOT listen to Dani regarding anything insect related. She's a bug lady after all! lol3.gif

Be very afraid of bugs. Very afraid.
  • dragon300zxdragon300zx Registered Users Posts: 2,575 Major grins
    edited April 19, 2006
    Andy wrote:
    Folks: DO NOT listen to Dani regarding anything insect related. She's a bug lady after all! lol3.gif

Be very afraid of bugs. Very afraid.

No need to tell me twice. I'm always looking for bugs. You never know what the goverment is going to try to pin on ya after all.

Now insects is another story.
    Everyone Has A Photographic Memory. Some Just Do Not Have Film.
    www.zxstudios.com
    http://creativedragonstudios.smugmug.com
    edited April 19, 2006
    So......anyone wanna answer my questions ???? ne_nau.gif
    ====My Gear=====
    Wedding Photographer
    www.cwphotos.net
  • pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,703 moderator
    edited April 19, 2006
    CW,

Empty out your boots in the morning, but don't fret about scorpions, spiders or snakes. If you see a snake or a scorpion, call the Consearge at the Lodge or at Rubys and they will help you catch it .

If you see a snake, walk around it and leave it alone.

Andy will have the roomate list.

Other than the lodging dates, so far, no itinerary has been published. This tends to be pretty low key and do your own thing, but an itinerary will probably be decided once we all show up at Bryce. There may be several impromptu groups that shoot different areas.

Some want to hike, some do not ( We feel your pain, Shay!!)
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Bob BellBob Bell Registered Users Posts: 598 Major grins
    edited April 19, 2006
    Well I want to learn to shoot landscapes from everyone. Outside of all you getting it through my thick skull, there should be tons of opportunities for birds and mammels. Bear, Mountain Lion, pronghorns, etc... I will finally have a camera with me instead of a fly or ultralight rod when I see them :)

I am landing around 1pm on the 16th. My goal is to go check out the Ansel Adams display at the Bellagio in the afternoon. Its 15 bux to get in and supposedly he selected the 200 photos on display.

I'm not sure when everyone else is coming in, but I will be available for dinner or an evening shoot or whatever someone picks :)

Less than a month away and I still don't have a storage solution figured out :(
    Bob
    Phoenix, AZ
    Canon Bodies
    Canon and Zeiss Lenses
    edited April 19, 2006
    Laptop + Epson P2000thumb.gif

edited April 19, 2006
    pathfinder wrote:
    Laptop + Epson P2000thumb.gif

My backpack is going to be close to 50 pounds. I'm not sure about adding a laptop :)
    Bob
    Phoenix, AZ
    Canon Bodies
    Canon and Zeiss Lenses
    edited April 19, 2006
    Don't take the laptop into the field - just the P-2000 - Do not plan to hike with a 50lb back pack unless you are 19 years old and just finished advanced infantry training or jump school.:D Anything more than 15 or 20 pounnds will seem awful by the end of the day. I wuld shoot for less than 15 pounds to hike any distance myself. I'm not 19 anymore.

Or just take several CF chips - 4Gb more or less, should do for a days worth of shooting or more. And then download them in the evening.

Writing DVDs is cheaper in dollars, but lots more expensive in the time required in the evening to accomplish.

edited April 19, 2006
    pathfinder wrote:
    Don't take the laptop into the field - just the P-2000 - Do not plan to hike with a 50lb back pack unless you are 19 years old and just finished advanced infantry training or jump school.:D

Or just take several CF chips - 4Gb more or less, should do for a days worth of shooting or more. And then download them in the evening.

Writing DVDs is cheaper in dollars, but lots more expensive in the time required in the evening to accomplish.
    I'm 38 and my small backpack is a Tamrac Expedition 8 and thats in the 30-35 pound range. My big backpack, lowepro road runner AW has wheels. So my strategy is to roll it around until I need to pick it up. This might all change if try carrying rain covers and other stuff in the smaller bag. I am worried about the weight and how tiring it will be. I'm not at all familiar with bryce or zion so I don't know how much hiking is really needed.
    Bob
    Phoenix, AZ
    Canon Bodies
    Canon and Zeiss Lenses
  • davevdavev Registered Users Posts: 3,118 Major grins
    edited April 19, 2006
    Bob Bell wrote:
    I'm 38 and my small backpack is a Tamrac Expedition 8 and thats in the 30-35 pound range. My big backpack, lowepro road runner AW has wheels. So my strategy is to roll it around until I need to pick it up. This might all change if try carrying rain covers and other stuff in the smaller bag. I am worried about the weight and how tiring it will be. I'm not at all familiar with bryce or zion so I don't know how much hiking is really needed.

Bob, cut back on the lenses a little.

I'm going to head out with 5 lenses. (I shoot Canon)

18-55 (kit lens)
    28-135is
    70-300is
    400L F5.6
    50 F2.5 macro.

All of these (but the 400) and the XT fit into a camera fanny pack.
    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=productlist&A=details&Q=&sku=316847&is=REG&addedTroughType=categoryNavigation
    I have the 400 in it's case on the belt. A few filters, extra batteries, cf cards.
    What more could you need? My wife and I have a small backpack for some
    bars and water. At least this is the plan so far.
    dave.

Basking in the shadows of yesterday's triumphs'.
  • gluwatergluwater Registered Users Posts: 3,599 Major grins
    edited April 20, 2006
    Bob Bell wrote:
    I am landing around 1pm on the 16th. My goal is to go check out the Ansel Adams display at the Bellagio in the afternoon. Its 15 bux to get in and supposedly he selected the 200 photos on display.

I'm not sure when everyone else is coming in, but I will be available for dinner or an evening shoot or whatever someone picks :)

I was thinking of doing the same thing. My flight gets in at 9AM on the 16th and at somepoint in the day I wanted to go see the Ansel Adams gallery. I know Gary wanted to meet up for a drink or maybe dinner but I don't think he gets in until the evening of the 16th. Anyone else interested in meeting in Vegas?
    Nick
    SmugMug Technical Account Manager
    Travel = good. Woo, shooting!
    nickwphoto
    edited April 20, 2006
    davev wrote:
    Bob, cut back on the lenses a little.

I'm going to head out with 5 lenses. (I shoot Canon)

18-55 (kit lens)
    28-135is
    70-300is
    400L F5.6
    50 F2.5 macro.

All of these (but the 400) and the XT fit into a camera fanny pack.
    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=productlist&A=details&Q=&sku=316847&is=REG&addedTroughType=categoryNavigation
    I have the 400 in it's case on the belt. A few filters, extra batteries, cf cards.
    What more could you need? My wife and I have a small backpack for some
    bars and water. At least this is the plan so far.

Davey, I want to make sure I can cover landscape, wildlife, macro etc... so I am bringing 20D w/grip, 20mm, 28-70/2.8L, 100macro, 70-200/2.8L, 400mm, 1.4x TC. I figure I can leave the 50mm at home. I am not sure if I should bring a TSE.

I addition, 550ex, Stofen, Better Beamer, light meter. Gitzo 1348 (not sure on head might bring a 3 way), rain jackets for 400, 70-200, 28-70. Pec pads and eclipse. 4 bp-511's. 8 AA rechargeables, full camo with zip off sleeves and legs, and camo bucket hat. Some kind of storage device, thinking of a external DVD burner that burns from CF and 1 Gatorade, Bubble Level, 10 gigs of CF.

That all fits in the Tamrac.

In the Lowepro I can add the above plus 1 Gatorade, food, rain suit for me.

I want to be able to shoot in the rain since I won't have time to get back up there for a while.
    Bob
    Phoenix, AZ
    Canon Bodies
    Canon and Zeiss Lenses
  • David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,237 moderator
    edited April 20, 2006
    With all the bug stories, perhaps a bonus lens to tote along will be a macro.

I might have the lightest backpack. The plan was to have the 400 5.6 by Utah, but the blank'in IRS took my lens funds. I'll just have the Tamron 28-75 + Tam 1.4 TC and also the 10-22. One extra battery, a couple 2GB cards, a pano slider for the RRS head and clamp, granola bars, water, and some filters. Oh, and now perhaps bug killing spray. The Lowepro mini trekker AW will be half ampty - but light.

Oops, add camera to that list too. {Note to self - don't forget the camera.}

And no, I won't be anyone's sherpa.
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
    edited April 20, 2006
    David_S85 wrote:
    With all the bug stories, perhaps a bonus lens to tote along will be a macro.

I might have the lightest backpack. The plan was to have the 400 5.6 by Utah, but the blank'in IRS took my lens funds. I'll just have the Tamron 28-75 + Tam 1.4 TC and also the 10-22. One extra battery, a couple 2GB cards, a pano slider for the RRS head and clamp, granola bars, water, and some filters. Oh, and now perhaps bug killing spray. The Lowepro mini trekker AW will be half ampty - but light.

Oops, add camera to that list too. {Note to self - don't forget the camera.}

And no, I won't be anyone's sherpa.

You can borrow my 400/5.6 and 70-200/2.8 if you carry them up hills :)
    Bob
    Phoenix, AZ
    Canon Bodies
    Canon and Zeiss Lenses
    edited April 20, 2006
    Anyone up for taking in a improv comedy show on the 16th? Show starts at 10:30 at Harrahs.
    www.zxstudios.com
    edited April 20, 2006
    Anyone up for taking in a improv comedy show on the 16th? Show starts at 10:30 at Harrahs.

PM? If it is, what time are we leaving in the morning?
    Bob
    Phoenix, AZ
    Canon Bodies
    Canon and Zeiss Lenses
    edited April 20, 2006
    Bob Bell wrote:
    PM? If it is, what time are we leaving in the morning?

That would be PM and not sure what time in the morning. I was planning on heading out whenever andy was. Most likely early. But I have been preparing to be sleep deprived on this trip anyways.
    www.zxstudios.com
    edited April 20, 2006
    That would be PM and not sure what time in the morning. I was planning on heading out whenever andy was. Most likely early. But I have been preparing to be sleep deprived on this trip anyways.

If we are leaving at sunrise than a 10:30 show might be tough. I think there is a Blue Man Group show earlier like 7:30pm or something like that would work.
    Bob
    Phoenix, AZ
    Canon Bodies
    Canon and Zeiss Lenses
    edited April 20, 2006

The auto-rally from Vegas to Bryce kicks off at 0700hrs.
    edited April 20, 2006
    Bob Bell wrote:
    If we are leaving at sunrise than a 10:30 show might be tough. I think there is a Blue Man Group show earlier like 7:30pm or something like that would work.

Yeah but I don't get in till 8:30ish which means prolly around 9:30 at the hotel.
    www.zxstudios.com
    edited April 20, 2006
    Yeah but I don't get in till 8:30ish which means prolly around 9:30 at the hotel.

Oh, I thought you were coming in earlier. You will probably be to wired to sleep for a while so that late show makes sense.
    Bob
    Phoenix, AZ
    Canon Bodies
    Canon and Zeiss Lenses
    edited April 20, 2006
    I will be in at 9am. Maybe we could meet up. I noticed another user mentioning ansel adams. mayeb we all could go to that. thumb.gif
    ====My Gear=====
    Wedding Photographer
    www.cwphotos.net
  • David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,237 moderator
    edited April 21, 2006
    Bob Bell wrote:
    You can borrow my 400/5.6 and 70-200/2.8 if you carry them up hills :)

I'm old, small and weak. It would surely be the death of me.

That's a very generous offer Bob, even with that small caveat. I'll get back to you about this when we reach the summit. mwink.gif
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky