Options

The packages feedback thread

Comments

• Options
    AncientPCAncientPC Registered Users Posts: 6 Beginner grinner
    edited April 28, 2009
    Yeah I just read about it in the other coupon thread. Best of luck to Gabe and his family.
  • Options
    tznal94931tznal94931 Registered Users Posts: 10 Beginner grinner
    edited May 17, 2009
    newbie comments ...
    I actually was going to EM until I somehow got directed to SM. I really like the "look" of SM better, but the lack of packages and discounts and coupons was a big ... really big ... downer :cry . I'll be doing youth action sports photos, maybe some team pic's, and pet photos, and packages are a big part of those markets.

I'm looking for much of the same that's been said ... ability to define my own packages, allowing clients to add individual photos on top of package orders, price checking to alert clients when they can get a "better deal" in a package, etc. What I would also like to see is the ability to offer discounts to clients on the individual photo prices if their total order is greater than X amount. I think it important that any discount does not again give an additional discount on the package price, only on the individual prices clients may be ordering. For example, if I had a package that came to $42.88 (it's as good as any other number!!), I might offer a discount on "non-package photo orders" if the total order value exceeded $50.00. So in this case, the client would get the discount on $7.12 (or more if they ordered more than $50.) In no case should a discount apply to a package price.

Why offer this? ne_nau.gif Cuz people like discounts and will sometimes increase orders to take advantage of the discount.

Also, while I like the idea of allowing the client to select multiple photos to be included in components of the package, that's of secondary importance to me than the package itself. Also, I am not in favor of allowing someone to substitute components of the package. If the demand for something is great enough, then I can create a new "package".

Lastly, I like the idea of being able to include gift items in the package, like a mousepad or keychain or whatever.

I really, really hope this is available soon ,,, really, really soon. I haven't signed up for SM yet, even though I want to. Packages are vital to my business and if SM doesn't have them and soon (weeks, not months!), I'll have to go elsewhere.
  • Options
    MontecMontec Registered Users Posts: 823 Major grins
    edited May 17, 2009
    Well Put tznal...we need packages soon.
    Cheers,
    Monte
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited May 17, 2009
    Montec wrote:
    Well Put tznal...we need packages soon.
    Yes, we do.
  • Options
    KJPhotoKJPhoto Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited May 18, 2009
    Idea of Favorite Photos
    I agree with all of the suggestions, Andy can I ask in the packages will we be able to set a price to the customer of 0 and have it charged to us, the pro photographer? I'm OK with having to use a password protected gallery or even a one-time use coupon code. The biggest complaint we get from all of our clients is how difficult it is for them to order a pre-defined and pre-paid package. We would love to be able to just have them click order and get the pictures on their way to either us or them.
  • Options
    mickimicki Registered Users Posts: 47 Big grins
    edited May 22, 2009
    AncientPC wrote:
    I don't mind that SmugMug advertises what the wholesale prices are, but I don't want people to know I'm using SmugMug (and thus the two together to figure out how much markup I'm charging).

I guess my primary issue stems from the fact that Smugmug is still branded during the checkout and on the merchandise instead of providing a truly transparent solution for photographers to control their image.

As for this thread, one more vote for KISS packages and pre-generating coupons for a gallery.
    ok I hear what all of you guys are saying here about not wanting what the "mark up" is on the pictures (or rather our profit) and I had a hard time with this at first but I am fairly honest with my clients.

But I agree that anyone out there can see how much pictures are (at cost) but if you don't tell your client that you are using a "professional" lab then they are going to think you are having them printed at .12 cents for a 4x6 like walgreens. You have to kind of let them know that they are not cheap prints. You have to educate them.

I think the education of letting your clients know almost how much the "wholesale" cost is not a bad thing and why not let them know you are going to be making a profit? I know how much my Doctor makes off me (seeing an explanation of benefit from the insurance company).

The packages for me would be absolutely WONDERFUL as I can pull out more pictures for the kind of work I'm doing and actually hide part of this cost (wholesale) but truthfully I think we need to get over the idea that clients will think we are making money off them. We are (or should be). :)

I have two ways of doing it. Either pay me handsomely to get your pictures at cost or pay for the pictures. It works.

Can't wait for these packages. ~ Don't be afraid to let people know you plan on making money for your TIME and hard work. Smugmug has then be the best and easiest thing for me out there. I don't ever touch a picture or drive anywhere to do anything for anyone. Everything is done online except for when we shoot people. YEAH!

When the packages come out I think I will sell much more!

clap.gif
  • Options
    istudiosistudios Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited May 24, 2009
    Pre-Paid Wedding Packages
    I mainly work on weddings all year, and charge my customers well in advance for our services and packages are all paid up front.

The question is:

Is there a way where my customers and I can filter/sort by rating (Stars) or by thumbs up/down with a counter to show totals of each category/rating. I would find this feature very useful to place large event orders and be able to sort what my customer wants. Its almost there already with the thumbs up/down tab, If you can make it show a counter with the total selected by viewer. OR like I'v seen it on other sites like pictage.com where visitors can make up a folder named " My Favorites" all they lack is the counter to keep the customers not go over there limited prints from their pre-paid package. In this case the folder can read "My 4x6" "My 8x10" with totals for each folder to keep count. The coupon idea also sounds great, Pictage.com is also using coupons.

Example: I upload 500 pics from wedding. The customer views and rates (5 Stars) on 100 pics they pre-paid when they hired me. Then I check the qty. of images selected, if it matches our contract, I pay for the 100 4x6 prints with Bay photo, and I fulfill the order.
    Hope its not that complicated. Pretty much an online event proofing service by just adding a couple of filters to sort by, and the photographer fulfills the order.

I believe many wedding/event photographers would benefit from this. This is the only missing feature on smugmug for me, everything else is great. Really great.

Or is there a way already that would allow for customers to make their selections online, and my studio pay for the prints?
    What can I do?

keep up the great work,

Eric,
  • Options
    termina3termina3 Registered Users Posts: 158 Major grins
    edited May 25, 2009
    istudios wrote:
    I believe many wedding/event photographers would benefit from this. This is the only missing feature on smugmug for me, everything else is great. Really great.

Or is there a way already that would allow for customers to make their selections online, and my studio pay for the prints?
    What can I do?

Coupons. Customers will order for themselves and either they'll pay next-to-nothing or nothing.

Don't ask when, but as Andy will likely chime in here--they're at the top of the list and on the way.
    Please don't mistake my blunt, pointed posts as my being "angry," "short," or "rude."

I'm generally happy, tall, and fuzzy on the inside.www.NickensPhotography.com
  • Options
    KhristenKhristen Registered Users Posts: 83 Big grins
    edited May 27, 2009
    Hope Gabe is doing better. I was in the same "gall bladder-less" boat a few months ago myself. Gotta watch what you eat now rolleyes1.gif

I'm really excited about the packages and coupons and can't wait to see the end product!
  • Options
    edited May 27, 2009
    related question, I hope ...
    I've looked around a little, but didn't see what I was really looking for, so I thought I'd ask it here. :help

Somewhere on the site I read a comment that SM doesn't require customers to give up there email address, and in the context of the comments, that was a good thing. However, from the pro's point of view, it would be nice / helpful / worthwhile / important (choose one or more) to be able to get the email addresses of the customer's who order the prints. In EM, they claim that the photographer can set an option to require the customer to provide an email address if they want to add pictures to the shopping cart. No one is required to provide an email address to just view, and presumably not to buy one photo, but to build up a few items in the shopping cart, they have to fess up. Under the theory that they have already made the decision to order from (us), this doesn't sound too intrusive to me. Does this exist in SM, or how does it work? eek7.gif

I'm nearing a decision to go with a gallery, and I've been holding out hoping that "packages" would be around soon, but I need to decide within a few days. I was told that packages were "weeks, not months", and that was several weeks ago already. I DO understand the health predicament, and I honestly hope that he's doing better for his HEALTH reasons and not just for packages, but I also need to decide soon and packages are extremely important for me. Being able to get email addresses is also important. I'd be interested in learning how others feel.
  • Options
    edited May 27, 2009
    tznal94931 wrote:
    I'd be interested in learning how others feel.

I can definitely understand not reading through this entire thread to get the sense of how others feel. As I see it:

Frustrated, anxious, disappointed, angry, vexed, aggravated, tired…
    Please don't mistake my blunt, pointed posts as my being "angry," "short," or "rude."

• Options
    gforrest2009gforrest2009 Registered Users Posts: 10 Big grins
    edited May 28, 2009
    If you couled include the merchandise (books, etc...) from the following location as packages, that would be nice.

http://www.smugmug.com/prints/catalog/#More

gfl
  • Options
    brjphotobrjphoto Registered Users Posts: 168 Major grins
    edited May 28, 2009
    tznal94931 wrote:
    Somewhere on the site I read a comment that SM doesn't require customers to give up there email address, and in the context of the comments, that was a good thing. However, from the pro's point of view, it would be nice / helpful / worthwhile / important (choose one or more) to be able to get the email addresses of the customer's who order the prints. In EM, they claim that the photographer can set an option to require the customer to provide an email address if they want to add pictures to the shopping cart. No one is required to provide an email address to just view, and presumably not to buy one photo, but to build up a few items in the shopping cart, they have to fess up. Under the theory that they have already made the decision to order from (us), this doesn't sound too intrusive to me. Does this exist in SM, or how does it work? eek7.gif

Customers provide an email address when they submit their order. That info is then provided to the pros when they get the order summary.

If I was shopping and a company demanded I provide an email just to put things in the shopping cart that would be a major turnoff. When I am ready to buy, you can have the necessary info. Until then, I should be allowed to shop anonymously.
  • Options
    cabbeycabbey Registered Users Posts: 1,053 Major grins
    edited May 28, 2009
    tznal94931 wrote:
    Somewhere on the site I read a comment that SM doesn't require customers to give up there email address, and in the context of the comments, that was a good thing. However, from the pro's point of view, it would be nice / helpful / worthwhile / important (choose one or more) to be able to get the email addresses of the customer's who order the prints.

The context around that statement is that we do not require visitors to enter their email address just to see your pictures. Some sites do, many folks find this practice a bit sleazy... as the #1 reason to require email addresses at that point is to be able to spam them later. We hate spam.

Once a visitor becomes a customer and decides to buy some prints/merch/downloads, then that changes... email address is a required field in the checkout process, and it is provided to the pro.
    SmugMug Sorcerer - Engineering Team Champion for Commerce, Finance, Security, and Data Support
    http://wall-art.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    DulaMugDulaMug Registered Users Posts: 90 Big grins
    edited May 29, 2009
    tznal94931 wrote:
    I've looked around a little, but didn't see what I was really looking for, so I thought I'd ask it here. :help

I'm nearing a decision to go with a gallery, and I've been holding out hoping that "packages" would be around soon, but I need to decide within a few days. I was told that packages were "weeks, not months", and that was several weeks ago already. I DO understand the health predicament, and I honestly hope that he's doing better for his HEALTH reasons and not just for packages, but I also need to decide soon and packages are extremely important for me. Being able to get email addresses is also important. I'd be interested in learning how others feel.
    With EM the Photographer has the following options:
    1. Not require email address,
    2. Give visitor the option of giving email address, or
    3. Making email address mandatory
    This can be done by gallery. I have found that many people choose to give email address.

Bill
    www.billcarterphotos.com
  • Options
    edited June 3, 2009
    So ...
    What is the latest status on packages? When I was told "weeks, not months", that was now almost two months ago. I know, that also can be expressed in "less than 8 weeks ago", but .... eek7.gif

How is the progress on packages coming? While I realize the problems you face giving a specific date, I've been in business long enough to know that if you don't HAVE a target date, things will drag on forever. Goals and deadlines are a good thing, even if you miss them at first. People learn things from missing goals, and future efforts tend to be closer and closer until targets are met. Were I a member (and I still might be before the day is out), I would feel frustrated not having anything more concrete than "soon" or "weeks, not months"; as a prospective member, I wonder how serious the effort is if there isn't a target date in mind? ne_nau.gif
  • Options
    agarrett2agarrett2 Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited June 4, 2009
    DulaMug wrote:
    With EM the Photographer has the following options:
    1. Not require email address,
    2. Give visitor the option of giving email address, or
    3. Making email address mandatory
    This can be done by gallery. I have found that many people choose to give email address.

Bill
    www.billcarterphotos.com

Whats EM?,

Never mind, found it. And Look.....I see packages available. I'm starting to shoot daycares so "packages" and "self fufilment" orders are becoming VERY important to me.
  • Options
    edited June 4, 2009
    agarrett2 wrote:
    Whats EM?

Seriously? Look a couple pages back…

Exposure Manager.

• Options
    ThePictureDudeThePictureDude Registered Users Posts: 4 Beginner grinner
    edited June 4, 2009
    Could you include one-time pricing with packages or as a stand alone option. I do photo customization (sample) as a one-time charge then offer at standard print pricing. Example: if someone ordered a 16x24 and 2- 8x10's of a print, they would only pay the customization upcharge once and prints would be standard pricing.

Please advise or feel free to ask questions if confusing.

Thank you in advance for your feedback.

TPD
  • Options
    edited June 4, 2009
    This falls under the title of self-fulfillment… you're trying to use SmugMug to charge for a service, which won't work, and hasn't been mentioned as part of the next package/coupon update.

Try setting up a google shopping cart for the service, and once you've produced the image you can post it at normal prices.

• Options
    MT StringerMT Stringer Registered Users Posts: 225 Major grins
    edited June 5, 2009
    Sales have been poor this year. I think packages and coupons would help alot.

Patiently waiting...
    Mike
    Please visit my website: www.mtstringer.smugmug.com
    My Portfolio
    MaxPreps Profile

Canon EOS 1D MK III and 7d; Canon 100 f/2.0; Canon 17-40 f/4; Canon 24-70 f/2.8; Canon 70-200 f/2.8L IS; Canon 300 f/2.8L IS; Canon 1.4x and Sigma 2x; Sigma EF 500 DG Super and Canon 580 EX II.
  • Options
    David EvertsenDavid Evertsen Registered Users Posts: 524 Major grins
    edited June 11, 2009
    You folks got enough feedback yet?? Everyone needs them YESTERDAY.. End of story.. I needed them the day before YESTERDAY..
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited June 11, 2009
    You folks got enough feedback yet?? Everyone needs them YESTERDAY.. End of story.. I needed them the day before YESTERDAY..
    If one had feedback, we'd take it. Right now, we're building this feature. It's in agressive and active development with a full-time Sorcerer assigned to this and nothing else.
  • Options
    edited June 11, 2009
    Andy wrote:
    If one had feedback, we'd take it. Right now, we're building this feature. It's in agressive and active development with a full-time Sorcerer assigned to this and nothing else.

I was hoping to see something at the TAMPA SMUG but it was rescheduled. Not your fault but I need dates time and such. I am not trying to be a jerk Andy, I have so much need for Packages and coupons it is insane. Can you please help us out??
  • Options
    CameronCameron Registered Users Posts: 745 Major grins
    edited June 12, 2009
    I was hoping to see something at the TAMPA SMUG but it was rescheduled. Not your fault but I need dates time and such. I am not trying to be a jerk Andy, I have so much need for Packages and coupons it is insane. Can you please help us out??

This thread is getting ridiculous.. Andy has already stated numerous times what they're doing - whining and begging to "help you out" isn't going to change anything. If you need it NOW, go elsewhere, otherwise keep waiting and trust that when the feature is done and bug-free smugmug will release it.
  • Options
    edited June 12, 2009
    CSwinton wrote:
    This thread is getting ridiculous.. Andy has already stated numerous times what they're doing - whining and begging to "help you out" isn't going to change anything. If you need it NOW, go elsewhere, otherwise keep waiting and trust that when the feature is done and bug-free smugmug will release it.

You are right.. This thread is getting ridiculous..
  • Options
    DanoDano Registered Users Posts: 125 Major grins
    edited June 12, 2009
    If you need it NOW, go elsewhere
    I agree. I was one of the complainers and left. Packages, coupons and having my own branding on photos shipped packaging is awesome.
  • Options
    The MackThe Mack Registered Users Posts: 602 Major grins
    edited June 16, 2009
    I come here for a good laugh. Thanks.
  • Options
    The MackThe Mack Registered Users Posts: 602 Major grins
    edited June 16, 2009
    Dano wrote:
    I agree. I was one of the complainers and left. Packages, coupons and having my own branding on photos shipped packaging is awesome.
    Yet you're still here...
    lol
  • Options
    DanoDano Registered Users Posts: 125 Major grins
    edited June 16, 2009
    Yet you're still here...

I'm paid through March of next year, so yes I am.
This discussion has been closed.