Options

The packages feedback thread

Comments

• Options
    bendruckerphotobendruckerphoto Registered Users Posts: 579 Major grins
    edited June 16, 2009
    If SmugMug doesn't release SmugMug Pro by the end of this August, I'll take a $300 hit and find somewhere else.
  • Options
    robeorobeo Registered Users Posts: 4 Beginner grinner
    edited June 18, 2009
    Well, I came looking to see if there was a way to prepare packages for clients and it seems I have an answer. It would really be nice to know when the feature will be implemented.
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited June 18, 2009
    robeo wrote:
    Well, I came looking to see if there was a way to prepare packages for clients and it seems I have an answer. It would really be nice to know when the feature will be implemented.
    A little further update by our Cofounder, Baldy, here:
    http://www.dgrin.com/showpost.php?p=1137731&postcount=250
  • Options
    David EvertsenDavid Evertsen Registered Users Posts: 524 Major grins
    edited June 18, 2009
    Andy wrote:
    A little further update by our Cofounder, Baldy, here:
    http://www.dgrin.com/showpost.php?p=1137731&postcount=250

Andy, Thanks for posting and giving us some insight into whats going on behind the scenes... clap.gif Saying soon does not always give us that..
  • Options
    rockstarfrankrockstarfrank Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited June 18, 2009
    packages
    Andy wrote:
    If one had feedback, we'd take it. Right now, we're building this feature. It's in agressive and active development with a full-time Sorcerer assigned to this and nothing else.

I love Smugmug and am happy that packages are coming soon, this will save me a ton of time. I also cannot stand the idea of doing business with pictage.

For me it would be great to be able to put together packages that include items such as framed pictures or even unique items offered by Bay Photo. Speaking of Bay Photo is it possible to add packages through them now without having to re-upload all my pictures again? If so then tell me where to sign.
  • Options
    davisphotosdavisphotos Registered Users Posts: 21 Big grins
    edited June 18, 2009
    Oh, man I hope this comes soon. I called Pictage support for the first time today, and was on hold with the dreaded "your call is important to us, please continue to hold" I cannot stand that level of corporate BS, not to mention it's taken them about 12 hours to respond to an e-mail. And their site is ugly, slow and hard to use. But, they do offer packages and coupons that make my job easier-that is all they have on SmugMug.
  • Options
    BaldyBaldy Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 2,853 moderator
    edited June 19, 2009
    Okay, one of the nasty UI problems we've been trying to solve is, what galleries are eligible for this particular package? How does the customer get into the ones you want them to (some combo of unlisted and pwd-protected).

How about this:

567874185_6jH7f-O.png

When you toggle "only ones I choose", you get to click in the area where you see the two galleries and pick as many as you want (a scroll bar appears if there are more than two).

The customer gets to packages by choosing "buy a package" in the buy button just below buy prints. When they do, a picker comes up. In the case where you choose a subset of your galleries, only those will be shown in the picker. Make sense?

The wording is placeholder, so the "all public galleries" is misleading because it would also include public password-protected galleries (but your customer would have to enter the password to get to the photos).

This seems to be the (knock on wood) last major UI stumbling block we're aware of short of getting into testing and finding out we're confusing people.
  • Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited June 19, 2009
    Looking good except I should hope our clients will not see thevery bottom that says Print Vendor: Bay EZ .......our clients should have no idea who is printing what or why.....only the photographic company should have the knowledge of this.......just like in the film days....the photog did not give a choice to the cleint as to who processed his prints......the photog took his film to the processor he felt did the best work.

jmho
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited June 19, 2009
    Art Scott wrote:
    Looking good except I should hope our clients will not see thevery bottom that says Print Vendor: Bay EZ .......our clients should have no idea

Art this is the owner UI here.
  • Options
    bendruckerphotobendruckerphoto Registered Users Posts: 579 Major grins
    edited June 19, 2009
    I think it's fine the way it is here. You can make a help page for site owners explaining in detail each option. This looks great and I'm really looking forward to you rolling this out. If you are looking for beta testers, please, count me in!
  • Options
    rockstarfrankrockstarfrank Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited June 19, 2009
    Baldy wrote:
    Okay, one of the nasty UI problems we've been trying to solve is, what galleries are eligible for this particular package? How does the customer get into the ones you want them to (some combo of unlisted and pwd-protected).

How about this:

567874185_6jH7f-O.png

When you toggle "only ones I choose", you get to click in the area where you see the two galleries and pick as many as you want (a scroll bar appears if there are more than two).

The customer gets to packages by choosing "buy a package" in the buy button just below buy prints. When they do, a picker comes up. In the case where you choose a subset of your galleries, only those will be shown in the picker. Make sense?

The wording is placeholder, so the "all public galleries" is misleading because it would also include public password-protected galleries (but your customer would have to enter the password to get to the photos).

This seems to be the (knock on wood) last major UI stumbling block we're aware of short of getting into testing and finding out we're confusing people.

It looks close, any idea when testing begins? I need to use pictage temporarily for packages but my heart and all my galleries are with smugmug long term. I hope there will eventually be cool options like adding a book or even some of the products offered by Bay. I would love to be able to customize and be able to offer multiple package options to a customer.
  • Options
    edited June 19, 2009
    It looks close, any idea when testing begins? I need to use pictage temporarily for packages but my heart and all my galleries are with smugmug long term. I hope there will eventually be cool options like adding a book or even some of the products offered by Bay. I would love to be able to customize and be able to offer multiple package options to a customer.
    We're getting close but I'm reluctant to say how long testing could take. Sometimes it sails through in a week or two but sometimes we find something awful and end up having to make a change that could take months. That happened to us with the shopping cart when it had its big makeover.
  • Options
    xrisxris Registered Users Posts: 546 Major grins
    edited June 20, 2009
    It is looking good,Baldy.clap.gif

I'm wondering, will coupons play into the package design allowing members to offer special package pricing to select customers based upon password/coupon code entered?

For instance:

1/ - the wedding couple get's a password/coupon code that allows a one-time-only deep discount on the package of their choice, while...

2/ - ... a limited number of family members get a 20 percent discount for 30 days, one-time use (35 coupon code codes that expire upon use or on X date.)
    X www.thepicturetaker.ca
  • Options
    takeflightphototakeflightphoto Registered Users Posts: 194 Major grins
    edited June 20, 2009
    Echo that....
    xris wrote:
    It is looking good,Baldy.clap.gif

I'm wondering, will coupons play into the package design allowing members to offer special package pricing to select customers based upon password/coupon code entered?

For instance:

1/ - the wedding couple get's a password/coupon code that allows a one-time-only deep discount on the package of their choice, while...

2/ - ... a limited number of family members get a 20 percent discount for 30 days, one-time use (35 coupon code codes that expire upon use or on X date.)

Those are just the features that I've been hoping for, too....

jon
  • Options
    ShepsMomShepsMom Registered Users Posts: 4,319 Major grins
    edited June 21, 2009
    Baldy wrote:
    We're getting close but I'm reluctant to say how long testing could take. Sometimes it sails through in a week or two but sometimes we find something awful and end up having to make a change that could take months. That happened to us with the shopping cart when it had its big makeover.

Do you need beta testers? I'm all up for it and wanna play! wings.gif
    Marina
    www.intruecolors.com
    Nikon D700 x2/D300
    Nikon 70-200 2.8/50 1.8/85 1.8/14.24 2.8
  • Options
    edited June 21, 2009
    The last screen shot was UI for the pro, this is what the customer-facing UI looks llke for selecting images, browsing galleries, adding them to the package and then to the cart.

The text is placeholder. It won't identify the print lab, for example.

568789011_PkBcr-O.png

Right now you're viewing images in a gallery (Gabe likes girls) but you see there's a button front and center to choose other galleries. Also, you can see the buttons upper right and left to expand the strip of thumbs to more than one row.
  • Options
    TorgadoTorgado Registered Users Posts: 45 Big grins
    edited June 22, 2009
    Baldy wrote:
    Right now you're viewing images in a gallery (Gabe likes girls) but you see there's a button front and center to choose other galleries. Also, you can see the buttons upper right and left to expand the strip of thumbs to more than one row.

Wow, Baldy- way to go Smugmug! This interface really does look amazing and almost intuitive! Would love it if there was some sort cookied flash pop up "INTRODUCTION" or Help file that would come up the first time a user encountered the package interface, just so they would get a quick 30 second overview of what the + and - and other various buttons did.

I assume this is a drag and drop process? How does it handle custom cropping? On this page or on another?
  • Options
    TxTortoiseTxTortoise Registered Users Posts: 46 Big grins
    edited June 22, 2009
    Baldy wrote:

Baldy, I'll study this in more detail tonight, but do I understand correctly that the customer UI would have a drop down at the picture level where the customer would have to first select from a list of galleries vs defaulting to the gallery they are in, with an option to select a different gallery.

Also, there is a marketing aspect to the customer UI in that I think they need to be able to see per/print pricing when compared to the packages so the value-added is self-evident.

FWIW, like others on here, I actually make a living managing software development vs photography sales, so I can appreciate the pain you are having. It looks like you may be struggling as much with the gallery owner UI as with the customer UI. While I'd like both perfect with transparent Help, I'd take it to market with perfect customer UI and an 80% gallery owner solution. ;-)
  • Options
    edited June 22, 2009
    Torgado wrote:
    I assume this is a drag and drop process? How does it handle custom cropping? On this page or on another?
    Yes, it's drag and drop and that's a potential issue because not all people expect drag & drop on the net. We'll need some small prompts like in the image wells, "drag a photo here".

Cropping will be done in the shopping cart, but we still have to design how a package looks in the cart as a bundle and you can't just delete one image and showing the package price and savings over non-package price.
  • Options
    edited June 22, 2009
    TxTortoise wrote:
    Baldy, I'll study this in more detail tonight, but do I understand correctly that the customer UI would have a drop down at the picture level where the customer would have to first select from a list of galleries vs defaulting to the gallery they are in, with an option to select a different gallery.
    What we envision right now is that 95% of the time the customer will find the photos they want first, then go for the buy button. The buy button will have buy a package in it, then a choice of packages, then the page you see now with the picker. The picker will let you pick from the existing gallery or click the gallery button to navigate away.

The photograher UI lets you specify which galleries appear in the picker that the customer can choose from. The default is all.

Clear as mud?
  • Options
    TxTortoiseTxTortoise Registered Users Posts: 46 Big grins
    edited June 23, 2009
    Baldy wrote:
    What we envision right now is that 95% of the time the customer will find the photos they want first, then go for the buy button. ...

Clear as mud?

Sure, at least until you post your sequence and context diagrams. ;-)

Boy, I know the sportsshooters on here are praying for implementation by 1 Sep...2009, before football season, but I'm guessing late in the year if you are just doing UI testing in July, but seeing the UI is great.
  • Options
    MontecMontec Registered Users Posts: 823 Major grins
    edited June 23, 2009
    This is looking good. Very pleased.

One question, If I order packages for 50 different images will they be packaged separately? In poly bags or something? I would hate to have to separate 50 packages of images that came in a box! This is how I would be using this feature...not having my clients order but I would be ordering for them from a list of custom packages that I have printed on order forms.

I am shooting the BC Provincial Championships U16 and U18 soccer tournament July 2nd to July 5th...this might have been handy.
    Cheers,
    Monte
  • Options
    Ann McRaeAnn McRae Registered Users Posts: 4,584 Major grins
    edited June 23, 2009
    Montec wrote:

One question, If I order packages for 50 different images will they be packaged separately? In poly bags or something? I would hate to have to separate 50 packages of images that came in a box! This is how I would be using this feature...not having my clients order but I would be ordering for them from a list of custom packages that I have printed on order forms.

I am shooting the BC Provincial Championships U16 and U18 soccer tournament July 2nd to July 5th...this might have been handy.

Monte

Need a second shooter?

ann
  • Options
    StylusFunkStylusFunk Registered Users Posts: 24 Big grins
    edited June 23, 2009
    This is just what I've been looking for. Will these packages work for digital purchases too? Like I could set up a special price for 30 digital images from an event?
  • Options
    Uncommon DepthUncommon Depth Registered Users Posts: 13 Big grins
    edited June 23, 2009
    I hope this is the right thread to ask this in.

Would it be possible, or is it already possible, to get a Google Base friendly xml file of our products?
  • Options
    tjk60tjk60 Registered Users Posts: 520 Major grins
    edited June 23, 2009
    I want to order pictures from that gallery! To hell with the packages! rolleyes1.gif
    Baldy wrote:
    The last screen shot was UI for the pro, this is what the customer-facing UI looks llke for selecting images, browsing galleries, adding them to the package and then to the cart.

The text is placeholder. It won't identify the print lab, for example.

568789011_PkBcr-O.png

Tim
    Troy, MI

D700/200, SB800(4), 70-200, 300 2.8 and a few more

www.sportsshooter.com/tjk60
  • Options
    emeraldroseemeraldrose Registered Users Posts: 324 Major grins
    edited June 24, 2009
    How about a page with a drag and drop feature to create our own packages that sm would sell for us? Like we would say 4 4x6, 4 5x7... and then the customer picks images, puts them in their shopping cart and then they have the option to make a package and they can drag the images they picked into the package, so if they wanted 2 of the same image they would drag the image 2x and then drag a diff image to finish out the package. I don't know how this would work as far as what'd you have to do to create that but as a customer i'd love it.
  • Options
    emeraldroseemeraldrose Registered Users Posts: 324 Major grins
    edited June 24, 2009
    ok it looks like the post above mine is exactly what I was thinking.
  • Options
    edited June 24, 2009
    Montec wrote:

Hmmmm, that's an interesting request. The honest answer is no, that's not part of the design. We'd have to make that part of a second rev. Sorry about that.
  • Options
    edited June 24, 2009
    How about a page with a drag and drop feature to create our own packages that sm would sell for us? Like we would say 4 4x6, 4 5x7... and then the customer picks images, puts them in their shopping cart and then they have the option to make a package and they can drag the images they picked into the package, so if they wanted 2 of the same image they would drag the image 2x and then drag a diff image to finish out the package. I don't know how this would work as far as what'd you have to do to create that but as a customer i'd love it.
    If I'm understanding you, I think that's what you're seeing in the UI above.
This discussion has been closed.