Options

Picture of your local firetruck request...

Comments

• Options
    DeeDee Registered Users Posts: 2,981 Major grins
    edited June 19, 2005
    Wow! Thanks! Wait till CJ sees these!
    Sam you did good! A fire copter? Wow! Thank you Sam.
  • Options
    wholenewlightwholenewlight Registered Users Posts: 1,529 Major grins
    edited June 20, 2005
    Found another fire truck shot
    Close up of hardware and gauges on an antique firetruck at the Hershey, PA October '04 antique automobile show:

9791614-M.jpg

If CJ recognizes these old gauges then I'm really impressed! Or maybe the purpose of fire truck gauges doesn't really change??

thumb.gif
    john w

I knew, of course, that trees and plants had roots, stems, bark, branches and foliage that reached up toward the light. But I was coming to realize that the real magician was light itself.
    Edward Steichen

• Options
    digismiledigismile Registered Users Posts: 955 Major grins
    edited June 20, 2005
    Here's a couple of old trucks from a 4th of July Parade last year in The Woodlands, TX

5798484-M.jpg

5798511-M.jpg

I don't know if I have a shot from farther back to show the whole fire truck, but I took this for my wife's grandson because he's a fire truck fan AND a Spiderman fan! Spiderman ON a fire truck ... it couldn't get any better!

5798518-M.jpg

5798475-M.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 24, 2005
    CJ says
    Close up of hardware and gauges on an antique firetruck at the Hershey, PA October '04 antique automobile show:

9791614-S.jpg

If CJ recognizes these old gauges then I'm really impressed! Or maybe the purpose of fire truck gauges doesn't really change??

thumb.gif

the gauge tells you what the water pressure is
    the knobs are to turn the water on
    the bottom middle partially cut off thing is where you attach the hose
    he seems to think the wheel is to turn the water...
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited June 24, 2005

9791614-S.jpg

thumb.gif

Sweet shot, light! thumb.gif I really like the B&W.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    wholenewlightwholenewlight Registered Users Posts: 1,529 Major grins
    edited June 24, 2005
    wxwax wrote:
    Sweet shot, light! thumb.gif I really like the B&W.
    Thanks!
    john w

I knew, of course, that trees and plants had roots, stems, bark, branches and foliage that reached up toward the light. But I was coming to realize that the real magician was light itself.
    Edward Steichen

• Options
    edited June 27, 2005
    Spiderman
    digismile wrote:
    Here's a couple of old trucks from a 4th of July Parade last year in The Woodlands, TX

5798484-Th.jpg

5798511-Th.jpg

I don't know if I have a shot from farther back to show the whole fire truck, but I took this for my wife's grandson because he's a fire truck fan AND a Spiderman fan! Spiderman ON a fire truck ... it couldn't get any better!

5798518-Th.jpg

5798475-Th.jpg

Oh Spiderman was a big hit too! CJ's at that "question asking" stage, asking me questions I can't answer -- why was there a parade? what's a parade? why do people go to a parade?

But he knew spiderman!
  • Options
    edited June 27, 2005
    Thank you everyone
    It's really amazing to see fire trucks from all over -- and fire copters too! You've all been very generous in posting fire trucks and firefighting related images. CJ is always very excited to see "his" thread and tell me in detail about the trucks and copters... and then ask me a zillion questions!

I've just learned Chapel Hill, NC has a special BLUE fire truck, and I've seen pictures of green fire trucks, visited a site that is sort of a fire truck graveyard (like the retired ships on the Hudson River in NY and in the Delta here in the San Francisco bay area).

So keep the photos coming! I spotted a battalion car parked behind our local fire house which I discovered going to a house that was advertising free stuff on craigslist.com. I got two bags of books, most all of them for CJ and a good wok for us, and coming back I noticed the car and didn't even notice that we had driven past a fire house!
  • Options
    NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited June 27, 2005
    I only have white ones...
    This from my Solvang trip:

24804474-L.jpg

HTH
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • Options
    edited June 27, 2005
    Thanks Nikolai
    Nikolai wrote:
    This from my Solvang trip:

24804474-Th.jpg

HTH

White ones, heh? Thanks! You got a lot of nice pics from your Solvang visit.
  • Options
    doc riverzdoc riverz Registered Users Posts: 3 Beginner grinner
    edited July 13, 2005
    3575029-M.jpg
    3575030-M.jpg
    1212710-M.jpg
    299599-M-1.jpg
    291554-M-1.jpg
    791293-M-1.jpg
    291555-M-1.jpg
    291556-M-1.jpg
    1212708-M.jpg
    13128592-M.jpg
    13128594-M.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 13, 2005
    Wow, that's quite a collection!
    I like the one at the fire especially. CJ will be happy to see these. I actually saw a tiller truck in San Mateo when I went to Tap Plastics for a photo background. So of course I had to take a few pics for my grandson. After I was already strapped into the car of course the firemen came, got in the truck and drove off!
  • Options
    luckydogluckydog Registered Users Posts: 396 Major grins
    edited July 13, 2005
    I'm a volunteer firefighter with the Rural Fire Service in New South Wales, Australia. Here's one from a bush fire in January but I'll upload some to my smugmug account tonight and post them as well for you...

We have two appliances, 1 x Isuzu - Bush fire fighting 4WD (3000 Litre capacity) *the one pictured here* and a Freightliner urban fire appliance (3000 Litre appliance)

14120210-L.jpg
    http://darrylluckphotography.smugmug.com

40D
    18-55mm, 28-105mm USM II, 50mm f/1.8, 400mm f/5.6
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,910 moderator
    edited July 13, 2005
    Hiya Doc and welcome!

ian
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    edited July 14, 2005
    Thank you!
    luckydog wrote:
    I'm a volunteer firefighter with the Rural Fire Service in New South Wales, Australia. Here's one from a bush fire in January but I'll upload some to my smugmug account tonight and post them as well for you...

We have two appliances, 1 x Isuzu - Bush fire fighting 4WD (3000 Litre capacity) *the one pictured here* and a Freightliner urban fire appliance (3000 Litre appliance)

14120210-S.jpg

My daughter takes my grandson to "practice" burns whenever she can so he can watch the firemen in action. I know he started off liking the bright red loud noisy trucks, then from there to admiring the firemen. I'm not sure at this point he realizes the implication of fire and how dangerous it is. I'm sure when he visits the fire stations he's told not to play with fire, etc.

I have to admire you volunteering to be a fire fighter, it can be a really dangerous activity. It must be rewarding though when the fire is put out and all is safe again.
  • Options
    JamesJWegJamesJWeg Registered Users Posts: 795 Major grins
    edited July 14, 2005
    Sitting for sale next to the Troy, SC FD in March of this year.

16981312-M.jpg

16981314-M.jpg

16981316-M.jpg

16981319-M-1.jpg

16981320-M-1.jpg

James.
  • Options
    marymary Registered Users Posts: 39 Big grins
    edited July 14, 2005
    Fire truck in Oceanside CA
    I took this photo for my 6yr old nephew because he loves fire trucks too, especially if they have their lights on! He loves this one of the Paramedics in Oceanside, CA. I took this photo on June 16th. I can't wait to show my nephew this thread!
    IMG_0996.JPG
  • Options
    edited July 14, 2005
    Old fire trucks
    JamesJWeg wrote:
    Sitting for sale next to the Troy, SC FD in March of this year.
    James.

I stumbled on a fire truck "graveyard" on the web. It's difficult for me to realize fire trucks don't last forever.

Then you wonder, who buys an old fire truck and what do they do with them?

We have a really old one in San Francisco that they turned into a tour bus. It's open at the top, so the big treat is going across the Golden Gate Bridge so you can look up to the towers.

Thank you for posting!
  • Options
    edited July 14, 2005
    Thank you Mary
    mary wrote:
    I took this photo for my 6yr old nephew because he loves fire trucks too, especially if they have their lights on! He loves this one of the Paramedics in Oceanside, CA. I took this photo on June 16th. I can't wait to show my nephew this thread!

And welcome to dgrin!

I clicked your town to see what part of California you're in. Years ago the graphic design studio I worked for did some work for a medical device company and on a trip to "so cal" we went to Temecula. It's pretty in that area. It's probably built up a lot more since then.

Thank you for adding your fire truck. CJ (my grandson) gets so excited when he sees all the fire trucks! They live near Moffett Field and visited the fire station there. He got to ride in the airport fire truck and now he's telling me all about the "foam" and the special fire truck for airplanes!

My daughter's learning more about fire trucks herself, after getting tapes and books on fire trucks, etc., as well as visiting the fire stations and talking with the fire fighters. They've started making cookies to bring with them for the fire fighters.

There was a 4th of July parade in a nearby town and they had a special section for the kids to hold the fire hose, see the trucks, etc.
  • Options
    marymary Registered Users Posts: 39 Big grins
    edited July 14, 2005
    Dee wrote:
    I clicked your town to see what part of California you're in. Years ago the graphic design studio I worked for did some work for a medical device company and on a trip to "so cal" we went to Temecula. It's pretty in that area. It's probably built up a lot more since then.
    Temecula and Murrieta are growing like crazy. They keep changing the population on the city limit signs. Temecula is up over 90,000 and Murrieta is 85,802 (today). I hope there are enough fire trucks to keep us all safe, should be lots of new trucks to see. Generally, I don't go out of my way to take photos of fire trucks, but for my nephew... of course, I will snap a picture when I have the opportunity. :):
  • Options
    edited July 14, 2005
    For my grandson :-)
    mary wrote:
    Temecula and Murrieta are growing like crazy. They keep changing the population on the city limit signs. Temecula is up over 90,000 and Murrieta is 85,802 (today). I hope there are enough fire trucks to keep us all safe, should be lots of new trucks to see. Generally, I don't go out of my way to take photos of fire trucks, but for my nephew... of course, I will snap a picture when I have the opportunity. :):

Wow, then the place has sure grown!!!! Wow....

We took a drive to Crissy Field today and saw some Presidio fire trucks, so of course I made my husband stop so I could hop out and get some pictures for CJ... otherwise, I'd not bother either. I may post one later on, because the logo is so pretty :-)
  • Options
    edited July 14, 2005
    The Presidio Fire Truck Logo
    Here, as promised...
  • Options
    doc riverzdoc riverz Registered Users Posts: 3 Beginner grinner
    edited July 17, 2005
    ian408 wrote:
    Hiya Doc and welcome!

ian
    Hello Ian. Thanks!

Dave
    (wanna be photo geek)
  • Options
    JamesJWegJamesJWeg Registered Users Posts: 795 Major grins
    edited July 18, 2005
    Driving by the local city FD, I thought of this thread and stopped to pop off a few, but I feel like I wasn't in my groove if you will. These don't seem good to me, just snapshot level.

http://pics.jamesjweg.com/gallery/668208

James.
  • Options
    edited July 18, 2005
    It's all about the trucks...
    JamesJWeg wrote:
    Driving by the local city FD, I thought of this thread and stopped to pop off a few, but I feel like I wasn't in my groove if you will. These don't seem good to me, just snapshot level.

http://pics.jamesjweg.com/gallery/668208

James.

CJ just wants to see fire trucks... your pics are just fine! And taken indoors too!

I feel my fire trucks are just snapshots too, it's difficult to get creative with a big red truck :):

You did very well with your exposure, and thank you so much for keeping this thread in mind and stopping to take some pictures and for taking the time to upload them.
  • Options
    ThwackThwack Registered Users Posts: 487 Major grins
    edited July 31, 2005
    another oldie...
    Shot indoors in a hurry with a little Pentax (their new waterproof model). Most of the others I took have flash glare in them (reflected off that shiny finish) and no tripod or monopod to let me shot sans flash. So, this is the best I could get.

Saw this one in an antique mall in Nappanee, Indiana while on a family vacation.

30353165-M.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 31, 2005
    Not something you see everyday...
    Thwack wrote:
    Shot indoors in a hurry with a little Pentax (their new waterproof model). Most of the others I took have flash glare in them (reflected off that shiny finish) and no tripod or monopod to let me shot sans flash. So, this is the best I could get.

Saw this one in an antique mall in Nappanee, Indiana while on a family vacation.

30353165-S.jpg

It's nice to see some of the older equipment preserved!

The latest in the fire truck saga is that my daughter is trying to arrange a trip to the San Jose airport to see some of the airport fire trucks which have a different shape to them.
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,910 moderator
    edited August 1, 2005
    30524552-M.jpg

Sorry for the distance. Short lens and the paramedics were working on
    motorcyclist (behind the patrol car).

From The Baylands, Palo Alto.

Ian
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    ZygoteZygote Registered Users Posts: 128 Major grins
    edited August 7, 2005
    Hi,

I was trying to catch a bus this morning when i saw these old firetrucks. I had about one minute until my bus went, but i managed to take these since i remembered this topic.

b3.jpg

b1.jpg

b2.jpg
  • Options
    ZygoteZygote Registered Users Posts: 128 Major grins
    edited August 7, 2005
    I posted 3 old firetrucks in post #60. Here are 4 more :)

b4.jpg

b6.jpg

b5.jpg

b7.jpg