Options

Picture of your local firetruck request...

Comments

• Options
    maartenmaarten Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited August 7, 2005
    This is a first post as I have just found the forum. I wasn't going to post just yet but thought that this truck might be different from the others.

46993950.jpg

46993984.jpg
  • Options
    AllenAllen Registered Users Posts: 10,011 Major grins
    edited August 7, 2005
    Maarten, welcome to the forum.
    It is quite different, what country is it in? They are beautiful shots.
    Looking forward to your posts,
    Al
    Al - Just a volunteer here having fun
    My Website index | My Blog
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited August 7, 2005
    maarten wrote:
    This is a first post as I have just found the forum. I wasn't going to post just yet but thought that this truck might be different from the others.

Welcome to dgrin, maarten and thanks for posting! thumb.gif Interesting images, looks like you had good acccess. Nice to see different machinery, too. nod.gif
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    maartenmaarten Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited August 7, 2005
    Thanks for the warm welcome. I live in Essex, England.
  • Options
    HiggmeisterHiggmeister Registered Users Posts: 909 Major grins
    edited August 9, 2005
    Hi Dee and CJ,
    Here is a firetruck from a bygone era. This was shot at the Reno Rodeo Parade in June 2005. Not a modern pumper, but it did the job in its day.

Hope you enjoy,
    Chris

A picture is but words to the eyes.
    Comments are always welcome.

www.pbase.com/Higgmeister

• Options
    T4TotsT4Tots Registered Users Posts: 198 Major grins
    edited August 9, 2005
    Here are a couple I took last year when my kids went to the station.

9140798-L.jpg

8938505-L.jpg
    Tina Folsom :lust
    Photographer and Mom of Four!
    edited August 9, 2005
    Nice action shot
    I actually saw a converted fire truck, an old one, that is now a BBQ truck with Oregon plates. I spotted it on my way to Frys in Palo Alto. Haven't offloaded yet... I now have an additional hard drive (internal) and we are now (both Ed and I) on the internet, with printer access, the works... finally joined the modern age. Long story, but I got a CPU from where I used to work in exchange for $$. It's working out well now that Ed has his own computer and is off mine :):

CJ and Dara are hoping to get a visit to the San Jose airport fire trucks.
  • Options
    DeeDee Registered Users Posts: 2,981 Major grins
    edited August 9, 2005
    I'm so glad you remembered...
    Zygote wrote:
    Hi,

I was trying to catch a bus this morning when i saw these old firetrucks. I had about one minute until my bus went, but i managed to take these since i remembered this topic.

b3.jpg

b1.jpg

b2.jpg

That first one is quite unique! Now of course CJ is going to ask me a million questions! :):
  • Options
    edited August 9, 2005
    These are neat!
    maarten wrote:

46993950.jpg

46993984.jpg

Wow, is CJ going to be surprised at all the new additions to this thread. I'm so glad you remembered and took the time to take and post the photos!

CJ was in England last year and they visited fire departments in London and in Sweden. He never has enough fire trucks to look at, but makes me search for more when he comes to visit!

Again, thanks so much, and a huge welcome to dgrin!
  • Options
    edited August 9, 2005
    Thank you so much
    Zygote wrote:
    I posted 3 old firetrucks in post #60. Here are 4 more :)

b4.jpg

b6.jpg

b5.jpg

b7.jpg

The old fire trucks are so interesting! I have to offload and post one I found today which was converted to a BBQ truck! A movable feast...

Besides seeing the fire trucks, CJ is learning about history, which is such a great thing. Although he's only 4 1/2 he's reading and I'm going to let him read the threads when he visits next.

My secret project is to teach him to type real soon so he can learn spelling, but he's having trouble reaching the keys. I have to see if they have any keyboards for children.

I know, I'm pushing things! I taught my oldest daughter to read by showing her how to type on an old manual typewriter, she was just barely over 3. So she thinks nothing of CJ being able to read, because she could.

CJ is learning a lot more than just seeing fire trucks, he is seeing the kindness of people all over the world, and that's so important too!
  • Options
    edited August 9, 2005
    They look so cute
    Here is a firetruck from a bygone era. This was shot at the Reno Rodeo Parade in June 2005. Not a modern pumper, but it did the job in its day.

Hope you enjoy,
    Chris

the old trucks! I love the bells on them! CJ and I saw some on the internet last week and I was explaining that the old trucks didn't have horns and that someone had to ring the bell by hand.
  • Options
    edited August 9, 2005
    Tina that bell photo is beautiful
    T4Tots wrote:
    Here are a couple I took last year when my kids went to the station.

9140798-S.jpg

8938505-S.jpg

That's a great photo! And thank you for posting the photos in this thread for my grandson
    :): :): :):
  • Options
    HiggmeisterHiggmeister Registered Users Posts: 909 Major grins
    edited August 10, 2005
    Another Firetruck from Tonight
    Hi Dee and CJ,
    I took this shot tonight. They were responding to a call and stopped right in front of me so I took a few shots. This was the best one that showed the truck. It looks brand new and it's Reno #1.

Hope you like it and can figure out what kind it is,
    Chris

A picture is but words to the eyes.
    Comments are always welcome.

www.pbase.com/Higgmeister

• Options
    ThwackThwack Registered Users Posts: 487 Major grins
    edited August 15, 2005
    more oldies
    I found a couple more old fire fighting vehicles. These are in the Fort Crook museum in Fall River Mills, California (a tiny community with a pretty decent collection of historic stuff tucked away at their museum):

A side view:
    32228693-S.jpg

Closeup of the top showing patent date of 1901 (the original is posted if you want more detail):
    32228741-S.jpg

An old truck's side view, front portion....couldn't get any further back to capture more of the side view due to a wall being in the way:
    32228611-S.jpg

That old truck's rear view:
    32228576-S.jpg

Close-up of the manufacturer's plate on the front of the truck:
    32230771-M.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 15, 2005
    CJ says
    Hi Dee and CJ,
    I took this shot tonight. They were responding to a call and stopped right in front of me so I took a few shots. This was the best one that showed the truck. It looks brand new and it's Reno #1.

Hope you like it and can figure out what kind it is,
    Chris

It's a pumper truck! He had a thrill today, he and his parents were shown the big San Jose Airport trucks and he got to ride in them, see the big airplanes take off, and see some of the smaller planes. The lady in the control tower waved to him too!

I like the Reno lights over the fire truck!
  • Options
    edited August 15, 2005
    Thwack wrote:
    I found a couple more old fire fighting vehicles. These are in the Fort Crook museum in Fall River Mills, California (a tiny community with a pretty decent collection of historic stuff tucked away at their museum):

A side view:
    32228693-Th.jpg

Closeup of the top showing patent date of 1901 (the original is posted if you want more detail):
    32228741-Th.jpg

An old truck's side view, front portion....couldn't get any further back to capture more of the side view due to a wall being in the way:
    32228611-Th.jpg

That old truck's rear view:
    32228576-Th.jpg

Close-up of the manufacturer's plate on the front of the truck:
    32230771-Th.jpg

Dodge, huh? What a great find! That sounds like a fascinating museum indeed. I'll have to check mapquest to see where it is.

Everyone's been so nice posting these trucks for CJ!
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,910 moderator
    edited August 15, 2005
    Here's the old fire rig from Bodie State Historic Park.

3249288-M.jpg

Ian
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    edited August 15, 2005
    Dee wrote:
    Dodge, huh? What a great find! That sounds like a fascinating museum indeed. I'll have to check mapquest to see where it is.

Everyone's been so nice posting these trucks for CJ!

Fall River Mills is on Hwy 299 up near the Shasta/Mt. Lassen area (north/northeastern portion of the state). From San Jose, it's about a 330 mile drive...if traffic cooperates, it takes about 6 hours (including bathroom breaks). Vacaville traffic on Hwy 80 can be a real pain but once you're past there, it's not bad.

I take 680 all the way until it splits for Napa and Vacaville. I take the Interstate 80 side of the split until 505, then take 505 to I-5.

The second exit or so in Redding is Hwy 299 (towards Burney). Another 80-ish miles from Redding gets you to the tiny town of Fall River Mills (it's about 17 miles past Burney).

If you head up that way, try to catch the puppy rock (a rock outcropping along Hwy 299 that's painted to look like a puppy's head). It's somewhere around Ingot which has some cool looking ruins on the hillside across a creek from the road but there doesn't appear to be any place to stop and get pictures of those ruins (I'm guessing left-overs from the Gold Rush given the town's name and the proximity of the ruins to a creek).
  • Options
    edited August 15, 2005
    I need to get to Bodie!
    ian408 wrote:
    Here's the old fire rig from Bodie State Historic Park.

3249288-M.jpg

Ian

Thanks Ian... CJ knows that these old fire trucks were pulled by people, or horses and he loves the old bells.

I have to find a time when Bodie is not too hot -- but before the snow flies. Anyone know what time that would be, October?

Now CJ is going to see the tank, and the hose, so this is a pumper truck, but how did they pump the water out?

He's only 4 1/2 but I told him how to spell fire truck and he did his own web search. We watch him carefully, but he knows his way around Safari! When he was younger he'd play movies in iMovie, particularly the one of the changing of the guards in London.

I want to teach him how to type, but he doesn't really spell yet, although what he can read is amazing at his age. He can't quite reach the keys yet, but he can hunt and peck already!

Surfin' the 'net with his grandma is his special treat. He's not allowed on the computers at home because they want to supervise him... naturally.
  • Options
    edited August 15, 2005
    Way up there
    Thwack wrote:
    Fall River Mills is on Hwy 299 up near the Shasta/Mt. Lassen area (north/northeastern portion of the state). From San Jose, it's about a 330 mile drive...if traffic cooperates, it takes about 6 hours (including bathroom breaks). Vacaville traffic on Hwy 80 can be a real pain but once you're past there, it's not bad.

I take 680 all the way until it splits for Napa and Vacaville. I take the Interstate 80 side of the split until 505, then take 505 to I-5.

The second exit or so in Redding is Hwy 299 (towards Burney). Another 80-ish miles from Redding gets you to the tiny town of Fall River Mills (it's about 17 miles past Burney).

If you head up that way, try to catch the puppy rock (a rock outcropping along Hwy 299 that's painted to look like a puppy's head). It's somewhere around Ingot which has some cool looking ruins on the hillside across a creek from the road but there doesn't appear to be any place to stop and get pictures of those ruins (I'm guessing left-overs from the Gold Rush given the town's name and the proximity of the ruins to a creek).

We don't get up that way that often, and that's a long drive. Is Burney where that great waterfall over lava is? I had this California Parks tape from the library, and if that's the same place, it's spectacular.

The puppy head rock sounds like a photo opp too!

I'd be coming from just below San Francisco, so I could shave 45 minutes off the time, Laughing.gif.

Ah Vacaville -- home of the outlet malls??? Hard to get past them, Laughing.gif
  • Options
    edited August 15, 2005
    Dee,

September or October is a great time time to go. However, after about the
    15th of September traditional "tourist" services start to fall off. Things like
    camp grounds, ranger presence (they're still there to collect your money),
    etc. If you do get over to Bodie, think about driving down to Mammoth Lake
    and hitting Devil's Postpile.

Burney Falls is the place with the "weeping" wall.

Ian
  • Options
    edited August 15, 2005
    Thanks for the info, Ian
    ian408 wrote:
    Dee,

September or October is a great time time to go. However, after about the
    15th of September traditional "tourist" services start to fall off. Things like
    camp grounds, ranger presence (they're still there to collect your money),
    etc. If you do get over to Bodie, think about driving down to Mammoth Lake
    and hitting Devil's Postpile.

Burney Falls is the place with the "weeping" wall.

Ian

Doesn't really give me that much time to plan, I keep missing the desert flowers in the spring. The one time we were there it was just way too hot for me, and it wasn't even summer.
  • Options
    edited August 15, 2005
    Dee wrote:
    Doesn't really give me that much time to plan, I keep missing the desert flowers in the spring. The one time we were there it was just way too hot for me, and it wasn't even summer.

Altitude and sun can make it uncomfortable. Even though tourist season
    ends, it's still visitor friendly thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited August 16, 2005
    Dee wrote:
    We don't get up that way that often, and that's a long drive. Is Burney where that great waterfall over lava is? I had this California Parks tape from the library, and if that's the same place, it's spectacular.

The puppy head rock sounds like a photo opp too!

I'd be coming from just below San Francisco, so I could shave 45 minutes off the time, Laughing.gif.

Ah Vacaville -- home of the outlet malls??? Hard to get past them, Laughing.gif

Yeah, there's a big lake/park called Burney Falls (I think that's the name) maybe a dozen miles past the town of Burney. The town uses a picture of the falls in their "Welcome to Burney" signs along Hwy 299. I haven't seen the falls in person but have seen pictures...I gotta remember to take my own pics some day.

Getting a pic of the puppy rock requires hiking back along a narrow high-speed road or having one of those machine-gun cameras going as you drive past it. :)
  • Options
    edited August 29, 2005
    2005 Pierce Contender Custom Pumper
    Not a great pic but a pretty cool fire truck. Spotted it today partially outside the fire station when we stopped in San Juan Bautista for lunch on the way back from a camping trip with my son's scout troop.

While staring at the picture of another (smaller) truck outside the same station, I noticed a URL for the fire station. I was hoping they had some cool pictures of the truck to make up for this one but I couldn't find anything...though I did find a cool description of this fire truck.

So I'm posting the picture along with a URL to their web page that has the description of this truck. Remote control on the deck nozzle!

Here's the picture:

33912209-M.jpg

And here's the link to a detailed description of what's on this truck (be sure to catch the blurb about about the siren on the front bumper):

http://sjbfd.org/news.htm
  • Options
    edited August 29, 2005
    Recycled siren?
    That is so cool! CJ was surfin' the 'net with our supervision and came on a site that listed a lot of different apparatus and he was in 7th heaven!
    But this is so neat the kept the old siren!

Thank you for the photo, and for the URL too! What a neat story.
  • Options
    gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited August 29, 2005
    Well it took me long enough 'eh Dee ? But here it is.

32466754-M.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 29, 2005
    This is different
    Humungus wrote:
    Well it took me long enough 'eh Dee ? But here it is.

32466754-Th.jpg

I haven't seen one like this yet in all my sitting next to CJ while he searches for fire truck pictures!

The lettering system is different too! We have T for Tillers, so T-1, T-2, etc., P for Pumper E for engine, etc.

Thank you Gus! Keep looking, I'm still hoping to see some fire trucks from Spain, Italy, France, Germany, Portugal, Monaco, etc., South America, New Zealand, etc.
  • Options
    edited September 24, 2005
    SJS Engine 25 -- Alviso
    The little town of Alviso is at the Southern end of the San Francisco Bay.
    I believe it contracts for fire service from the City of San Jose.

Here's Engine 25 out on daily rounds...

37337597-M.jpg

Ian
  • Options
    edited September 25, 2005
    Thanks Ian
    ian408 wrote:
    The little town of Alviso is at the Southern end of the San Francisco Bay.
    I believe it contracts for fire service from the City of San Jose.

Here's Engine 25 out on daily rounds...

37337597-S.jpg

Ian

Those are some interesting graphics on the side of the fire truck! (the curvy thick white stripe) Great photo too. I've been meaning to get to Alviso, been several years since I've been down there.

Occasionally at Half Moon Bay's Strawflower Village shopping center we see a Half Moon Bay and a Point Montara fire truck! I had to do a web search but Montara contracts out to Half Moon Bay for their fire services.