Comments

• Options
    amadeusamadeus Registered Users Posts: 2,125 Major grins
    edited June 20, 2009
    563751965_uKYi2-XL.jpg
  • Options
    mxmommxmom Registered Users Posts: 6 Beginner grinner
    edited June 20, 2009
    Here is another one that did not upload before.
    551864727_mTnw4-S.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 20, 2009
    564903767_dogWe-XL.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 20, 2009
    563871348_hfy54-XL.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 20, 2009
    563758235_kdFLN-XL.jpg
  • Options
    squiddysquiddy Registered Users Posts: 161 Major grins
    edited June 22, 2009
    lol, is that a go kart? That has to be fast to get up on the walls like that.
  • Options
    j-boj-bo Registered Users Posts: 313 Major grins
    edited June 22, 2009
    mxmom wrote:
    Here is another one that did not upload before.
    551864727_mTnw4-S.jpg

Hey Sherri.....

1st thing... you have to get off of the program mode.

Sun to your back!

Please look me up when we are at a track somewhere together and I'll be happy to help you out further.

j-bo
  • Options
    nickbnickb Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited June 22, 2009
    whats up everyone, i'm new to the board and glad to see there's a lot of mx guys on here. I didn't see an introductions thread so i'll start here. I got a chance to shoot some fmx riders from spain at Metzgers house the other day. Comment/criticism is always welcome!

3615118295_a5f2298303_o.jpg

3615118837_461487ec5d_o.jpg

3615118495_4212825d18_o.jpg

3615939280_b37f5a1882_o.jpg

3615122233_bc1c6f4cd5_o.jpg

3615939722_af044d9e5c_o.jpg

3615122767_d587cf4c04_o.jpg

and my two favorites...

3615942834_45890e1a2b_o.jpg

3615939924_e245265502_o.jpg
  • Options
    mxmommxmom Registered Users Posts: 6 Beginner grinner
    edited June 22, 2009
    j-bo wrote:
    Hey Sherri.....

1st thing... you have to get off of the program mode.

Sun to your back!

Please look me up when we are at a track somewhere together and I'll be happy to help you out further.

j-bo

Thanks j-bo I really appreciate that! Having bought pictures from you before, which were awesome, any help would be greatly appreciated. I have always looked at your pictures with the hopes that one day I could take pictures half as well. I have shot in Tv and Av both with this new lens and I get so frustrated. It will just take practice I'm sure. I guess you know already know what lens I have but it's a 70-200 mm 2.8f with a Canon Rebel XTi.
    Thanks again,
    Sherri
  • Options
    edited June 23, 2009
    mxmom wrote:
    Thanks j-bo I really appreciate that! Having bought pictures from you before, which were awesome, any help would be greatly appreciated. I have always looked at your pictures with the hopes that one day I could take pictures half as well. I have shot in Tv and Av both with this new lens and I get so frustrated. It will just take practice I'm sure. I guess you know already know what lens I have but it's a 70-200 mm 2.8f with a Canon Rebel XTi.
    Thanks again,
    Sherri

That's a Sigma isn't it? And yes, you're correct, practice practice practice.... along with photoshop. mwink.gif

I'm assuming you are on AI Servo mode and using the center focus point?

I pm'd you on our local board with some tips.
  • Options
    mercphotomercphoto Registered Users Posts: 4,550 Major grins
    edited June 23, 2009
    mxmom wrote:
    These are taken straight from the camera. This was at a local race that we were at. Go ahead and tell me what I can do to take a better picture. This was shot with a Canon rebel Xti with a 70-200 mm 2.8 lens in the Tv setting.
    Thanks
    546586312_ZU6xT-S.jpg

551870621_A83dr-S.jpg

551840110_fdwYB-S.jpg

I'm not sure I'm actually seeing all your posted images, I only see two, which is a bit odd. But the first one I can see the colors are a bit washed out. You need some more contrast, probably some saturation. Easy to do in post production. Compositionally would be better to have the bike more to the right, so that the bike is flying into the image, not out of the image.

I cannot see image number 2 to comment on.

On the third one I see your big, big problem is your decision to photograph that location in the first place. The rider is flying through the air and the background is nothing but a bunch of trees. In other words, the rider is lost in the image. Its too hard to focus in on the rider because of the choice of background. Your best bet is to simply not photograph that location in the first place. Its the background that kills you here.
    Bill Jurasz - Mercury Photography - Cedar Park, TX
    A former sports shooter
    Follow me at: https://www.flickr.com/photos/bjurasz/
    My Etsy store: https://www.etsy.com/shop/mercphoto?ref=hdr_shop_menu
  • Options
    nw scoutnw scout Registered Users Posts: 256 Major grins
    edited June 24, 2009
    j-bo wrote:
    Sun to your back!
    j-bo

Hey Guys

I am wondering about this.
    It seems I have heard this a few times in the sports form (pretty much the only one look at) and wonder if this is a common thing other sports shooters look for.

I try to never shoot with the sun at my back if I can help it.
    Sure you get the fastest shutter speed, but the image will be very flat lit with no mood to the light.

Crosslight or backlight with some fill, gives the image a much nicer feel IMO.

Any other thoughts ne_nau.gif
  • Options
    jwashburnjwashburn Registered Users Posts: 476 Major grins
    edited June 24, 2009
    nw scout wrote:
    Hey Guys

It seems I have heard this a few times in the sports form (pretty much the only one look at) and wonder if this is a common thing other sports shooters look for.

Sure you get the fastest shutter speed, but the image will be very flat lit with no mood to the light.

Like anything there are rules and guidelines. Sun to your back is a good rule of thumb or guidline. Maybe sun mostly behind you would be better.

When shooting at the bigger events, you dont always get to choose your spot. There are other photographers in the way, poles, haybales, scoring tables, banners, etc, etc.

Local events give you much more flexibilty. A great exercise is to shoot the exact same corner from different angles in a short span of time so your light isnt changing all that much.

It does 2 things. It helps you with perpsective and fresh angles, but it also forces you to make adjustments with your camera. Use a fill flash (pop up is fine) if you are shooting directly into the sun to fill up faces. Try using the rider as a block for the sun to create a cool effect.

Remember you are making the step from snapshots to photographs, dont be afraid to experiment, dont be afraid to burn some film so to speak.
  • Options
    edited June 24, 2009
    nw scout wrote:
    Hey Guys

The reason I said it so basically, is because I know Sherri and have seen her shooting dead in the sun a lot.

jwashburn is dead on in his remarks.
  • Options
    rmwphotormwphoto Registered Users Posts: 129 Major grins
    edited June 24, 2009
    Cmrc/Gopher Dunes June 21 2009
    Here's a few from this past Sunday CMRC race.

571075753_NsjB7-L.jpg

571070177_R4VwB-L.jpg

571069464_Cff42-L.jpg

571076594_4QvU9-L.jpg
    www.rmwphoto.ca
    Canon XSI
    18-55 AF IS
    55-250 AF IS
    Canon 430 EXII Flash
  • Options
    ToshidoToshido Registered Users Posts: 759 Major grins
    edited June 25, 2009
    I miss some racing and dirt, all I got was pictures like this..

572958056_K9uGo-XL.jpg

SOON!!!! Must get to Gophur Dunes SOON!
  • Options
    edited June 25, 2009
    Cool pic !!Was that the St Thomas air show ?
    A couple fighter jets flew by the dunes on sunday too.
    www.rmwphoto.ca
    Canon XSI
    18-55 AF IS
    55-250 AF IS
    Canon 430 EXII Flash
  • Options
    edited June 25, 2009
    Yes that was St Thomas. Close to 3 hours in the car in a line up in St Thomas, and still could not park at the airfield.
    Ended up at a garage around the corner and set up perch near the end of the runway. Made for a different perspective though.
  • Options
    edited June 26, 2009
    Cmrc/ATV Walton
    Hey Toshido

I am off to Walton ,the home of motocross to shoot and report on atv's.
    Two days of racing.
    www.rmwphoto.ca
    Canon XSI
    18-55 AF IS
    55-250 AF IS
    Canon 430 EXII Flash
  • Options
    edited June 26, 2009
    Can find Walton, can find the website for the track in Walton. They even have a nice race schedule for 2008!

Can't find information about this weekend though....

Have fun though. If I can find time I might be checking out mudfest at Gophur Dunes. Would like to at least.
  • Options
    NorthernHorseNorthernHorse Registered Users Posts: 145 Major grins
    edited June 28, 2009
    Here are some of my new photos from last weekend. Another race tomorrow...praying for sunshine. thumb.gif

5092_91815302956_39063177956_2106329_96040_n.jpg

5092_91815287956_39063177956_2106326_5848515_n.jpg

5092_91815297956_39063177956_2106328_7917295_n.jpg

5092_91844552956_39063177956_2106665_4222224_n.jpg
    Lara Poirrier
    Fairbanks, Alaska SMUG Leader
    My Site | Fairbanks SMUG | Facebook | Twitter
  • Options
    edited June 28, 2009
    Here are some of my new photos from last weekend. Another race tomorrow...praying for sunshine. thumb.gif

sunshine? what is that? :cry

nice shots and welcome to the club. we've had rain and clouds for weeks.

I shot an open practice yesterday with my new D300 and it seems the shots are LOST! Anyone knows anything about compact flash cards help!

I know those shots were on the card because I was reviewing them as the day went on but when I put the card into the card reader they're gone eek7.gif

damn I had some good ones too. :bash
  • Options
    CarboCarbo Registered Users Posts: 3 Beginner grinner
    edited June 29, 2009
    Here are a couple of shots from my local track.
    Michael Leib
    540218993_fXmwP-XL.jpg

Alex Martin
    492995492_arNeH-XL.jpg

Antonio Balbi
    540223291_U5MNA-XL.jpg
  • Options
    mercphotomercphoto Registered Users Posts: 4,550 Major grins
    edited June 30, 2009
    Carbo wrote:
    Here are a couple of shots from my local track.
    Michael Leib
    Great color, great compositions, very sharp.
    Bill Jurasz - Mercury Photography - Cedar Park, TX
    A former sports shooter
    Follow me at: https://www.flickr.com/photos/bjurasz/
    My Etsy store: https://www.etsy.com/shop/mercphoto?ref=hdr_shop_menu
  • Options
    ErbemanErbeman Registered Users Posts: 926 Major grins
    edited June 30, 2009
    Good pics Carbo
    Come see my Photos at:
    http://www.RussErbePhotography.com :thumb
    http://www.sportsshooter.com/erbeman

D700, D300, Nikkor 35-70 F/2.8, Nikkor 50mm F/1.8, Nikkor 70-200 AF-S VR F/2.8, Nikkor AF-S 1.7 teleconverter II,(2) Profoto D1 500 Air,SB-900, SB-600, (2)MB-D10, MacBook Pro
  • Options
    Gary752Gary752 Registered Users Posts: 934 Major grins
    edited June 30, 2009
    amadeus wrote:
    sunshine? I shot an open practice yesterday with my new D300 and it seems the shots are LOST! Anyone knows anything about compact flash cards help!

I know those shots were on the card because I was reviewing them as the day went on but when I put the card into the card reader they're gone eek7.gif

damn I had some good ones too. :bash

What program did you use to import the files to your computer? Did you shoot them in NEF, or JPG? The program I use to import my photos from the card to the computer is called Total Commander. Once I get the files to the computer, then I import them into the editor, lately that has been Lightroom. I have never had a problem with photos not showing up. One last thing, make sure the only way you delete the photos from the card is by formatting the card in the camera. By deleting the files in the card reader, by some other program, will mess up the file system of the memory card.

GaryB
    GaryB
    “The single most important component of a camera is the twelve inches behind it!” - Ansel Adams
  • Options
    edited July 1, 2009
    BroPhoto wrote:
    What program did you use to import the files to your computer? Did you shoot them in NEF, or JPG? The program I use to import my photos from the card to the computer is called Total Commander. Once I get the files to the computer, then I import them into the editor, lately that has been Lightroom. I have never had a problem with photos not showing up. One last thing, make sure the only way you delete the photos from the card is by formatting the card in the camera. By deleting the files in the card reader, by some other program, will mess up the file system of the memory card.

GaryB

I think thats exactly what happened. I had about 40 pics on an 8gig card and when I went to shoot MX last Saturday I deleted about 45 of them. So for some reason the camera dumped the first couple into the some of the empty files where pics had been, and then dumped the rest of my pics into the card but not in any folder. Luckily I work with 2 very sharp geeks who leaped at the chance to try and retrieve my pics, which they did. I normally shoot JPeg not raw, but they retrieved them as PNG files. I don't know what they did or how they did it but I got most of the 500 oics with the exception of the first 25 or so which were partial files. They said they could convert them to Jpeg but smugMug took the PNG files.

With no further ado my fist MX pics with the D300 and 18-200 lens on a very muddy wet day with clouds and bright sun changing every 2 minutes.

Could have been better, could have been worse but I'm liking the first outing with the D300, may my D40 rest in peace. :cry

this was an open practice and this kid was flat ripping it on a small bike.

in sneakers. eek7.gif

579674809_tyJby-X3.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 1, 2009
    oops. wrong one..

579692221_8ndH5-X3.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 1, 2009
    I'd like some feedback on this one. The boot and forks/front fender are crisp, the helmet not so crisp.

I described the pic to someone and he said aperture would be the culprit.

Any feedback appreciated. Fstop = 10 shutter = 400 ISO = 400.

578314269_ucU75-X3.jpg
  • Options
    ErbemanErbeman Registered Users Posts: 926 Major grins
    edited July 2, 2009
    amadeus wrote:
    I'd like some feedback on this one. The boot and forks/front fender are crisp, the helmet not so crisp.

I described the pic to someone and he said aperture would be the culprit.

Any feedback appreciated. Fstop = 10 shutter = 400 ISO = 400.

578314269_ucU75-X3.jpg

F/10 is way too closed. Because of this you are having to use longer shutter speed which is why everything is not in focus. You need to try and shoot somewhere around F/5.6 or F/4 with a shutter speed around 1/800. This will yield you better results and blur the background more so that there is seperation between the subject and background.
    Come see my Photos at:
    http://www.RussErbePhotography.com :thumb
    http://www.sportsshooter.com/erbeman

D700, D300, Nikkor 35-70 F/2.8, Nikkor 50mm F/1.8, Nikkor 70-200 AF-S VR F/2.8, Nikkor AF-S 1.7 teleconverter II,(2) Profoto D1 500 Air,SB-900, SB-600, (2)MB-D10, MacBook Pro