Options

Shooting motocross 2009 style.

Comments

• Options
    amadeusamadeus Registered Users Posts: 2,125 Major grins
    edited May 26, 2009
    MGP wrote:
    Thank you, folks! Pick away at them, let'er rip.

welcome to the club and nice shots.

I'm partial to vertical shots as opposed to horizontal shots, but thats just my opinion. I think a motorcycle and rider is a vertical subject so it just works better for me.

2 more from Sunday. check out the eyes checking me out in the horizontal.

he's a front runner in Schoolboy and 125's, Senior Mini.

545379995_TPYbp-X2.jpg

547051693_KzaXw-X3.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 26, 2009
    547025673_Fh5Z4-X2.jpg
  • Options
    Gary Peterson PhotographyGary Peterson Photography Registered Users Posts: 261 Major grins
    edited May 26, 2009
    A test shot
    520795824_eNHvM-M.jpg

I wanted to test a remote control rig, and get in a few test shots, and the local track manager took a few laps with it for me. Fun stuff.
    Gary Peterson
    Gary Peterson
    Award Winning Photographer
    garypetersonphoto@earthlink.net

Winner Brides Choice Award 2017
    Winner Best of Spokane 2016
    Winner Brides Choice Award 2016
    Winner Brides Choice Award 2015
    Winner Best of Spokane 2015
    Winner Wedding Wire Couples Choice Award 2014
    Winner Best Photographer 2013 Spokane A-List
    Winner Brides Choice Award 2013
    Winner Best of Spokane Northwest Inlander 2012
    Winner Best Photographer Best of KREM 2011
    Winner Best Photographer Best of KREM 2010
    Winner Brides Choice Award 2011
    Winner Brides Choice Award 2010

(509) 230-9785

www.actionsportsimages.smugmug.com

• Options
    xtnomadxtnomad Registered Users Posts: 340 Major grins
    edited May 27, 2009
    Looks like great shots every one but do not forget other motorsports. You can use the skills on other sports at other types of events. I have three other events in the next few weeks that are differant types of events and look foward to all of them. And will take all the skill I have gained to cover them all.

204912585_YhBME-M-1.jpg
    xtnomad :wink
  • Options
    phoenixlipophoenixlipo Registered Users Posts: 3 Beginner grinner
    edited May 28, 2009
    Hello,

As per my information like that..

The 2009 FIM World Motocross Grand Prix series is starting this coming Sunday, in Faenza, Italy.
    Hard to believe the GPs are starting up again. But I'm excited.
    The GPs have a different atmosphere. Not as commercial as in the USA ... a bit more relaxed ... but in many ways bigger.
    All the riders are generally very friendly, and friendly with each other. They have a respect for each other as well, being that they all come from various countries and continents, and are all shooting for the same goal: World Motocross Champion.
    For the past almost 30 years, there has been ongoing debate about which series is better, which riders are better, etc. etc. To me, it's like comparing apples to oranges. It's a waste of time to try and compare!

thanks,
  • Options
    MGPMGP Registered Users Posts: 5 Beginner grinner
    edited May 28, 2009
    Some new ones. Shot in overcast and did some minor post processing. Wild dusty night. Looking for feedback in improvement.

548896738_AmSJ8-X2.jpg

548882759_bGXmf-X2.jpg

548915044_3RZpi-X2.jpg

548893171_ZkrFa-X2.jpg

Thank you.
  • Options
    squiddysquiddy Registered Users Posts: 161 Major grins
    edited May 29, 2009
    they have a little haze to them, i'm assuming that is just dirt blowing around :/ i hate dry tracks
  • Options
    nw scoutnw scout Registered Users Posts: 256 Major grins
    edited May 29, 2009
    Here is my buddy Trackmaster at PIR last night.

IMG_4535%20copy.jpg

I got some cool pics there last night, I will post some more up later.
  • Options
    MGPMGP Registered Users Posts: 5 Beginner grinner
    edited May 29, 2009
    squiddy wrote:
    they have a little haze to them, i'm assuming that is just dirt blowing around :/ i hate dry tracks

You assumed right thumb.gif.
  • Options
    edited May 29, 2009
    Here are a few more from last night.

IMG_4472.jpg

IMG_4390.jpg
  • Options
    squiddysquiddy Registered Users Posts: 161 Major grins
    edited May 29, 2009
    Maybe less of the blur/softening because when I look at these last two it kinda strains my eyes for some reason.

that or it's friday and i need a drink ne_nau.gif
  • Options
    edited May 31, 2009
    well dudes I went to Walden Playboys Open practice yesterday with the D80 in tow. My D40 should be back Monday.

I was going to try shooting A mode but even after reading the instructions I couldn't get aperture to change. So sports mode again, but after awhile I started looking at the settings and noted that on S mode the camera wanted to use an F stop as high as 8 while in sports mode it was much lower. I figured what the heck and dialed up 250 shutter in S mode and nabbed my best pic to date. the blue sky was not so blue in the sports mode ones and I'm thrilled with the clarity and my spot focusing results. Since it was open practice I was in the flag tower the checkered flagman normally resides in. Really tricky trying to spot focus but a lot of fun and being face to face when they go by is so freaking cool.

ok, my best MX picture since joining the DSLR ranks September 2007.

this kid could WHIP IT.

550289383_usdqP-X2.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 31, 2009
    amadeus wrote:

I was going to try shooting A mode but even after reading the instructions I couldn't get aperture to change. So sports mode again, but after awhile I started looking at the settings and noted that on S mode the camera wanted to use an F stop as high as 8 while in sports mode it was much lower. I figured what the heck and dialed up 250 shutter in S mode and nabbed my best pic to date. the blue sky was not so blue in the sports mode ones and I'm thrilled with the clarity and my spot focusing results. Since it was open practice I was in the flag tower the checkered flagman normally resides in. Really tricky trying to spot focus but a lot of fun and being face to face when they go by is so freaking cool.

ok, my best MX picture since joining the DSLR ranks September 2007.

You obviously love the sport and have a passion for photography as well.

I think you may want to start looking at the difference between a good photo and a photo of a good rider doing something cool.
    There is a big difference and one I think you will learn quickly with some more practice.

While the rider in the pic above is obviously very good and can whip a bike with the best of them, the photo itself is not so good. The background is so busy I can hardly see the bike.

Try going out for the day, and instead of trying to just figure out your camera settings, work on your lighting and composition. You practice those two things and your photos will get better fast.

The idea is to try to make the rider look even better than he or she is, by using you knowledge of lighting and composition to create a dramatic image.

Create a photo, dont just take a photo thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited May 31, 2009
    nw scout wrote:
    You obviously love the sport and have a passion for photography as well.

I think you may want to start looking at the difference between a good photo and a photo of a good rider doing something cool.
    There is a big difference and one I think you will learn quickly with some more practice.

While the rider in the pic above is obviously very good and can whip a bike with the best of them, the photo itself is not so good. The background is so busy I can hardly see the bike.

Try going out for the day, and instead of trying to just figure out your camera settings, work on your lighting and composition. You practice those two things and your photos will get better fast.

The idea is to try to make the rider look even better than he or she is, by using you knowledge of lighting and composition to create a dramatic image.

Create a photo, dont just take a photo thumb.gif

all points noted and greatly appreciated.

I'd like to talk about that jump in regards to some of your points. Shooting from that flag tower is THE best vantage point on that track. So while I understand what you're saying about the backround, in some cases I think you have to take what the track will give you. that is THE major air timie jump on that track and you have to shoot one side or the other. also, and I realize you know these things, but for debates sake, the experts are only on the track at certain times. I'm always trying to shoot with the sun, and sun or not, shooting from that flag stand comes at a cost (cluttered backround) and from that perspective, there just wasn't a whole lot more I could do.

experts on the track with favorable light = best time for best jump shots.

I did get some with less clutter when I worked to my right and caught them just leaving the "on ramp" but in the case of the whip, as I knew he was doing it every lap as he knew I was there, I was really trying to make sure I got him in full bloom as it were.

I am learning more each time, for example yesterday when the occasional cloud passed over, I just put the camera down. why take shots in blocked sun when it will be unblocked in a minute.

not rocket science but its the little things like that which I'm picking up each time.

back to the jump, it was my presence in the tower which prompted his "extra effort" so in that respect, while my choice of backround was less than favorable, that shot just wasn't going to happen anywhere else on that track.

I guess my only option would be to make my presence known shooting the other side which would provide an infinitely cleaner backround but then I lose the flag towers unique perspective.

or...would en even slower shutter than 250 have helped "blur" the backround even more?

again your comments greatly appreciated. I know its not a technically "great" shot, but for me I'm really pumped to have caught the framing and focus.

heres a couple more from the same spot which I like.

and for general fyi, with my D40 and 55-200 in the shop, I was using my sons D80, and didn't want to change lens in the field so I chose his 28-80mm over his 300mm lens.

thanks again for the input! a few more from yesterday.

550538488_ey5ct-L.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 31, 2009
    550544979_MjRD4-L.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 31, 2009
    550542378_YoDfj-L.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 31, 2009
    550501211_U3QUN-L.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 31, 2009
    550487596_Mqif7-L.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 31, 2009
    550461489_kaKwm-X2.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 31, 2009
    550331215_MRmgc-X2.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 31, 2009
    550524529_dbKgb-X2.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 31, 2009
    550384791_5ZzTp-X2.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 31, 2009
    550289582_jZhvW-XL.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 1, 2009
    amadeus wrote:
    all points noted and greatly appreciated.

I'd like to talk about that jump in regards to some of your points. Shooting from that flag tower is THE best vantage point on that track. So while I understand what you're saying about the backround, in some cases I think you have to take what the track will give you. that is THE major air timie jump on that track and you have to shoot one side or the other. also, and I realize you know these things, but for debates sake, the experts are only on the track at certain times. I'm always trying to shoot with the sun, and sun or not, shooting from that flag stand comes at a cost (cluttered backround) and from that perspective, there just wasn't a whole lot more I could do.

experts on the track with favorable light = best time for best jump shots.

I did get some with less clutter when I worked to my right and caught them just leaving the "on ramp" but in the case of the whip, as I knew he was doing it every lap as he knew I was there, I was really trying to make sure I got him in full bloom as it were.

I am learning more each time, for example yesterday when the occasional cloud passed over, I just put the camera down. why take shots in blocked sun when it will be unblocked in a minute.

not rocket science but its the little things like that which I'm picking up each time.

back to the jump, it was my presence in the tower which prompted his "extra effort" so in that respect, while my choice of backround was less than favorable, that shot just wasn't going to happen anywhere else on that track.

I guess my only option would be to make my presence known shooting the other side which would provide an infinitely cleaner backround but then I lose the flag towers unique perspective.

or...would en even slower shutter than 250 have helped "blur" the backround even more?

again your comments greatly appreciated. I know its not a technically "great" shot, but for me I'm really pumped to have caught the framing and focus.

heres a couple more from the same spot which I like.

and for general fyi, with my D40 and 55-200 in the shop, I was using my sons D80, and didn't want to change lens in the field so I chose his 28-80mm over his 300mm lens.

thanks again for the input! a few more from yesterday.

550538488_ey5ct-L.jpg

Ah yes.
    Some tracks a tough to shoot at. Lots of crap all over and it is hard sometimes to get a good shot.

I only made my critique based on the past images you have posted and the statement you made about that pic being your best to date.

This is your best by far that I have seen you post in this thread
    550544979_MjRD4-L.jpg

Good action, clean background and nice lighting.
    Your eye goes straight to the bike and the rider. Nice job thumb.gif
  • Options
    ToshidoToshido Registered Users Posts: 759 Major grins
    edited June 2, 2009
    All these shots are a HUGE improvement over the original post.
  • Options
    AmateurMXAmateurMX Registered Users Posts: 31 Big grins
    edited June 3, 2009
    Wow...a huge thread devoted to MX. Way cool!!!

Here are a few of my latest shots from the Las Vegas Supercross and Glen Helen AMA National.

Hope you enjoy.

3590940791_ef07c4f662_o.jpg

3591750592_c1af244f65_o.jpg

3590941363_0487381f4e_o.jpg

3591750260_e6e350a22f_o.jpg

3591749806_1f8db78dd0_o.jpg

3591752672_38b5892761_o.jpg

3590944239_c1227cfc9c_o.jpg

3590943147_e33dfa6251_o.jpg

3590945107_81d2b3a048_o.jpg

3591751678_cf36f01f45_o.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 3, 2009
    Very Nice thumb.gif

Love this one
  • Options
    AmateurMXAmateurMX Registered Users Posts: 31 Big grins
    edited June 3, 2009
    nw scout wrote:
    Very Nice thumb.gif

Love this one

Thanks, that one's my favorite too.
  • Options
    edited June 3, 2009
    nw scout wrote:

Good action, clean background and nice lighting.
    Your eye goes straight to the bike and the rider. Nice job thumb.gif

thanks again for all your input. I'm at a bit of a crossroads. My D40 has been deemed unrepairable after sending it in for service via my Best Buy extended warranty.

Good news- I get my original purchase price towards new camera = approx $700.

Bad news- I don't know what to buy.

Best Buy only sells the Canon 50D with a 28-135 lens which I don't want.

I like the Nikon D90 but am worried about the fact that the Nikon D300 and the Canon 50D both are touted as having dust/water resistant capabilities, or words to that effect.

I don't HAVE to buy from Best Buy, I could spend my store credit on a nice flat screen TV. :D

I would like to stay with Nikon, I COULD swing the D300.

They have a D90 with a 70-300 and a ...18-105 for $1799. Thats with a $629 70-300 lens so pretty good price.

I'm probably overly hung up on the dust/water thing I'm just too damn lazy to take the time to cover up from dust.

But I really would lilke to get D300 and get an 18-200 mm lens.

Anyonoe have any input on the Canon 50D?

I'm thinking at 15mpx its just too damn much. Heck a small jpeg would be over 5meg?

Who knows but its a nice problem to have. The D40 did a heck of a job for the price. Time to move up.wings.gif
  • Options
    edited June 3, 2009
    AmateurMX wrote:
    Thanks, that one's my favorite too.

Justin Barcia. Home grown right here in Orange County NY till Honda moved him and the family south so he could ride all year round. I shot this in 2004 when he was riding an XR100 at a parking lot motard little promo a local shop was hosting.

Took these with a Coolpix 80 5mpx point and shoot.

8936770_kDrT4-L.jpg

8936769_V9Y5B-L.jpg

9010958_xW4sR-L-1.jpg